Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiss+Tech and other items in this collection drawer.

Chako · 61 · 6992

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Swiss+Tech and other items in this collection drawer.
Reply #30 on: July 31, 2017, 01:36:11 PM
Swiss+Tech Bodyguard PTX  3 in 1.

Here is a small and light weight car emergency device. The Bodyguard PTX features a protected seat-belt cutter with blade guard. Simply pull on the keyring to remove the blade guard, which exposes the seat-belt cutter blade. On the front end is a spring activated glass breaker. Press the orange disk and push until the hidden metal tip is released. On the rear is an LED flashlight with one of those constant press on buttons.

The Bodygaurd PTX 3 in 1 has the following functions:
Glass breaker, Seat Belt Cutter, and LED Flashlight.

Pros:
- excellent glass breaker
- effective and safe seat-belt cutter

Cons:
- where do you store it. I have seen other similar tools that hang off of a seat-belt within easy reach after an accident

Overall, this is a nice effective little car emergency tool that could save your life. The only downfall is to store it somewhere within easy reach of the victim when it is most needed.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #31 on: July 31, 2017, 01:43:07 PM
Swiss+Tech Mini Multi-tool 8 in 1.

Here is a design I have seen elsewhere prior to seeing Swiss+Tech emblazoning the product with their label. This is a generic little multi-tool that features an LED light which takes up one whole handle. All the folding tools reside in the other handle.

The Mini Multi-tool features:
Needle Nose Pliers, Wire Cutter, Can Opener, Phillips Screwdriver, Straight Edge Knife, Serrated Knife, LED Flashlight, and Key Ring.

Pros:
- all metal construction

Cons:
- generic design
- LED light takes up half the tool

Overall, not a terrible little multi-tool, but not a great design either.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: July 31, 2017, 01:49:04 PM
Lee Valley Tools key-chain screwdriver multi-tools.

Here is a pair of screwdriver sets that fit on a key-chain.

Pros:
- all metal construction
- solid and durable

Cons:
- short reach
- off center drivers

Overall, these are neat little additions to a key-chain. The larger set is just a bit too large and heavy for the purpose however.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #33 on: July 31, 2017, 01:57:23 PM
True Keytool.

Here is a cute little device that is designed to fit over certain keys thus taking up very little space on a key-chain. The True Keytool has been somewhat perfected by the True Utility Key Tool which offers a lot more functionality. Both products however are different.

The True Keytool offers:
Bottle opener, File, #1 Flat Screwdriver, and #2 Flat Screwdriver.

Pros:
- fits over a key taking very little room

Cons:
- somewhat hard to use off of a key-chain as the internal key gets in the way of use

Overall, not a bad little design. Another company has taken the concept further, and searching for this little multi-tool can be confusing online.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: July 31, 2017, 02:04:41 PM
Swiss+Tech Utili-Key 6 in 1.

I like this little tool so much that it has been my constant key-chain companion for many years now. The Utili-Key looks close enough to a largish key that folks rarely notice it at all hanging among all your other keys. With a simple pull apart of the tool, it easily comes off of the keyring and is ready for use.

The Utili-Key has the following functions:
Flat Screwdriver, Phillips Screwdriver, Micro-Sized Screwdriver, Straight Blade Knife, Serrated Blade Knife, and Bottle Opener.

Pros:
- looks like a key
- very useful little functional package
- tool has a 90 degree friction lock allowing more leverage when using the Phillips driver

Cons:
- dangerous tool to use due to having to hold tool carefully so as to not cut yourself via the exposed blade part

Overall, this little tool is a keeper despite some bad design functionalities which honestly, I can't see being improved upon due to the form factor. The sharp bits are tucked away in key looking mode. Just be careful how you hold it once you have pulled apart the tool.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: July 31, 2017, 02:08:56 PM
Swiss+tech should give you a sales bonus  :D ... must order the Utili-Key now... lets see if I can find it decently-priced somewhere in Europe...

Le edit: Only one I found in Romania is 25 Euros shipped... yeah .. I guess its China again for me...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 02:32:06 PM by Corwyn »
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: July 31, 2017, 02:10:59 PM
Swiss+Tech Screwz-All 4 in 1.

Much like the tools seen from Lee Valley Tools, the Screwz-All 4 in 1 offers a nice selection of screwdrivers that will fit onto a key-chain. In fact, you could say the Screwz-All 4 in 1 comes with its own key-ring.

The Screwz-All 4 in 1 offers the following functionality:
#1 Flat Screwdriver, #2 Flat Screwdriver, #1 Phillips Screwdriver, #2 Phillips Screwdriver, 1/8” Rule Markings, and a Built In Key-ring.

Pros:
- compact driver tool
- key-ring included in the design

Cons:
- limited reach

Overall, a simple little driver tool for small jobs.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: July 31, 2017, 02:14:24 PM
I would never turn down any bonuses.  :rofl:

I think you will find the tool excellent. This is my go to tool for small jobs. I especially use the Phillips driver a lot. The blade section is perfect for box opening duties. Like I say, just be careful on how you hold the tool as I have nicked myself on the blade a few times in the past.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: July 31, 2017, 02:20:29 PM
Tool Logic T1 Series Tech Light.

This little compact light is just perfect for those times when you are wearing your ball cap and you need a small light. The T1 Series Tech Light features a cap brim clip that allows you to hang this little light off of your ball cap. There is an on/off switch which is always better than those constant pressure on switches.

The T1 Series Tech Light features:
Metal Wire Cap Clip, LED Light, Removable Pen, Removable Micro Phillips and Flat Driver.

Pros:
- fits onto a ball cap brim for hands free lighting
- pen and micro drivers just add to the functionality
- built in lanyard hole
- hole that fits removable driver allows the user to use the whole light for extra torque

Cons:
- I can't think of any

Overall, this is a neat little flashlight all around.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 02:22:17 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: July 31, 2017, 02:25:44 PM
Swiss+Tech Key-chain LED light with Bottle Opener.

Here is a discontinued product because it is no longer featured on their web site. There is more updated product that features the constant press on button. I much prefer this products on/off slider switch to the newer updated model. Not much to say about this one other than it gives off light and you can open bottles with it.

Pros:
- on/off switch
- excellent bottle opener

Cons:
- size

Overall, a good little tool if you need to open a lot of bottles in the dark.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: July 31, 2017, 02:29:21 PM
Swiss+Tech Solar Flashlight.

This odd little light requires sunlight to power a small rechargeable internal battery.

Pros:
- no battery replacement
- 3 LED front facing bulbs give off a descent amount of light

Cons:
- need the sun
- will die on you when you need it, and you won't be able to do a thing until it soaks up more sunlight

Overall, a neat concept, but one that is fraught with pitfalls. When I tried to use this little light, I just couldn't stand being tied to sunlight.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: July 31, 2017, 02:33:23 PM
Hohner Little Lady Harmonica.

This little gem is a key-chain sized one whole octave mini harmonica that is billed as the worlds smallest. It also has the distinction of being the first musical instrument played in space.

Pros:
- smallest harmonica
- rich full sound
- it is so freaking cute

Cons:
- size does get in the way of playing, especially if you got big fingers

Overall, a must have if you like harmonicas but do not wish to carry a full sized one around with you all the time. This little guy is a must.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: July 31, 2017, 02:39:36 PM
Inka Pen.

This ingeniously designed portable pen is a fantastic writing tool for those who need a pen in a compact portable form factor. the Inka pen can be used in several fashions. It can be a quick use pen, being held via friction in its carrier half. It can be screwed together to offer you a full sized pen. It can also be used as a PDA pointer with the included plastic touchscreen tip.

Pros:
- well designed
- does the job very nicely
- keyring part stays on the keyring

Cons:
- can be a bit fiddly with pull apart pieces and screw together pieces

Overall, this is one fine pen that I like very much.

For more info...
http://www.writeanywhere.com/productliterature1.pdf

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: July 31, 2017, 02:41:10 PM
Well that concludes my various thought and pieces found in that collection drawer shown in the first posting. I hope you guys have enjoyed the short journey. Just remember that my personal opinions are just that. Your mileage will most definitely vary in that regard.  :salute:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #44 on: July 31, 2017, 04:40:27 PM
Swiss+Tech Solar Flashlight.

This odd little light requires sunlight to power a small rechargeable internal battery.

Pros:
- no battery replacement
- 3 LED front facing bulbs give off a descent amount of light

Cons:
- need the sun
- will die on you when you need it, and you won't be able to do a thing until it soaks up more sunlight

Overall, a neat concept, but one that is fraught with pitfalls. When I tried to use this little light, I just couldn't stand being tied to sunlight.

What!? The sun-powered flashlight is real?  :rofl:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #45 on: July 31, 2017, 04:42:49 PM
Thanks for taking the time to take and post these pics, and the insights. Much appreciated.  :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #46 on: July 31, 2017, 05:16:07 PM
You are welcome.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: July 31, 2017, 06:59:13 PM
Wow, great post Chako! Thank you :cheers:

I have a couple of the Swiss+Tech mini plier tools and just can't get along with the floppy handles, very frustrating to use. I do have both the Sebertech M2 and an IDL T5 and quite like them. Very sturdy and functional. I've been on the hunt for an M4 or even an IDL T10 for the last several months and haven't found anything yet :cry:

I had no idea that Swiss+Tech had so many different models available :o

I just recently got a Utili-key and agree it is a useful little bugger :tu:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #48 on: July 31, 2017, 09:20:57 PM
Excellent thread Chako, as always!!!
I have used the Utilikey or some years now, it truly is awesome and incredibly useful for the size & weight, it's also one of the only things that has gone through airports and metal detectors always, without any trouble.

It's one of the 3 things always on my keychain together with the DQG Light and the Minichamp

I recommend the Chinese version for $2-4 as it's as nice as the "real" one, I can assure you adter owning many of both versions and also giving them away to friends and family
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #49 on: July 31, 2017, 09:51:05 PM
Excellent thread Chako, as always!!!
I have used the Utilikey or some years now, it truly is awesome and incredibly useful for the size & weight, it's also one of the only things that has gone through airports and metal detectors always, without any trouble.

It's one of the 3 things always on my keychain together with the DQG Light and the Minichamp

(Image removed from quote.)

I recommend the Chinese version for $2-4 as it's as nice as the "real" one, I can assure you adter owning many of both versions and also giving them away to friends and family
You found a way to sneak knives on a plane?!
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #50 on: August 01, 2017, 03:20:56 AM
The Mini Multi-tool 8 in 1 is a nice tool to have in a drawer -- even the kids aren't intimidated to use it because of its size.  The flashlight is a *pain* to maintain.  The 3 batteries have to be wrapped together with only the head and bottom exposed, otherwise, everything is going to be shorted out.  Knife is use-able and the philips can be used for the battery compartment of kids' toys.

The Utili-Key is like the Derringer of pocket tools -- always there but I've never really had a chance to use it.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #51 on: August 01, 2017, 03:29:23 AM
Zephon, that does look interesting. I do not have one as of yet. I do have several similar tools that will be highlighted on here later that looks somewhat similar.

EDIT: I guess I can continue with this thread.

Wishing shipping out to you didn't cost more than the tool itself plus the length of wait time.  I would have gladly picked one up for you. 

Great thread!  Very informative!

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: August 31, 2018, 11:57:53 PM
While it's not a keychain tool, I really like the Swiss-Tech ST41070 wrench. It matches the T-Rex (although without a cool name. They could have called it the Raptor!). It's actually a really useful adjustable wrench. It fits in a Victorinox Ranger sheath with room for a bitdriver extension. It's a really slick setup, and it works well on bolts. There is very little play in the jaws and they stay adjusted -- so many cheap adjustable wrenches just kinda flop around and don't stay tight on a bolt. These are machined well and are thicker than many adjustable wrenches. There's not a lot of handle available, so unless you use a cheater bar there's no way to overload the tool. I've put it on a bolt and stepped on it to get it to turn, and had no problems with it. It just works. There are a couple little blades, like the T-Rex, which are mostly an afterthought. The serrated blade does easily cut paracord, and the hook blade is a nice touch. Not sure what I'd use it for, but it's a nice touch. The bit driver works well on this, and the integrated holder is nice. With an extension it feels like a proper screwdriver. I very much mark this as a win. They're on Amazon now for $20... and I don't regret my purchase at all. It has a permanent place in the bag under my motorcycle seat. I have a full complement of wrenches in the toolbox, but that requires I remove the left side cover with a thumbscrew (used to be a phillips screw), then unlock the plastic panel above the belt pulley, then pull out the cover carefully, then unhook the rubber strap, then remove the plastic box and open it, then dig through it for the wrench I need, and then put it all back together when I'm done. I found if I need to adjust my mirror or tighten my hand guards, having this little adjustable wrench saves me like 10 minutes baking in a hot NC parking lot trying to get all the tools I need out from the deep dark recesses of the bike.

The T-Rex I also like. It's in the same category as a SOG Micro ToolClip. Same general size. I like the needle-nosed pliers, they're excellent. The wire cutters are amazing, far better than the Micro ToolClip. They snip through 12ga wire with such force the cut-off end goes flying through the air. The SOG just kinda chews at 12ga and gets through it eventually. I love the spring-loaded handle. The two blades are afterthoughts, but useful in a pinch. They're SD-sized, so not *that* useful, but better than nothing. The bit driver is pretty awesome, and the tool is robust and machined well.  The only thing I dislike about the T-Rex is that when the pliers are fully closed, they latch. It's just a little ball bearing and indentation, but every time the pliers close all the way, they lock. Which requires another hand to unlock them. So for working on small stuff like LEDs and such, they're awkward to use. And every time a wire is cut, they have to be opened with your other hand. Still, it's a very good tool as well. Together they make a nice combination.

2nd picture is of the ST41070  and the bit extender nestled in a Victorinox 130mm Ranger sheath.

Charles.
swisstech1.jpg
* swisstech1.jpg (Filesize: 68.68 KB)
swisstech2.jpg
* swisstech2.jpg (Filesize: 191.98 KB)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 11:59:38 PM by ChopperCharles »

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #53 on: September 01, 2018, 07:18:31 AM
 :like:
Awesome thread, Chako! Thanks for sharing your Swiss+Tech & other collection. :cheers:

I never give these types of tools much thought. I have a few, but those were gifts. I may have to find a few more of those models. I really like that big one.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #54 on: September 01, 2018, 11:47:52 AM
I do have several of these items, and have found them to be very useful little pocket tools. I'll use Dan's pics as reference as I mention them...

Typically, I don't carry a Swiss knife with pliers or Phillips, relying instead on a separate pliers based tool. That additional tool doesn't always need to be "full sized" or even as large as a Juice.

The IDL T5 and T7 are great little pocket tools to complement a thinner Swiss knife like a Climber, or even a Ranger for that matter. I find them to be more capable than 91mm Victorinox pliers, and I can get more grip and control with them, having the handles in your palm rather than just relying on a thumb. The trick to comfort, is having the Phillips on the palm, and the flat driver on the fingers. Get those the wrong way round, and the corners of the flat blade really dig in!

Likewise, the Swiss+Tech 8in1 is another great complimentary tool.

I have the gold coloured version, and this lends to be my waistcoat pocket tool when I have to be suited and booted (with black tie, I wear waistcoat over cummerbund). The right waistcoat pocket has my pocket watch, and the left has this tool and a small pocket knife, often a brushed stainless Wenger PTC, but I now have plans for a stag handled Vic Executive mod, with some additional PTC tools.

The 8in1 is essentially a Screwzall with pliers, and this too has gotten me out of several fixes.

I carried this in an altoids kit for a while, and it certainly earned it's keep there. The retaining clip has since been lost, but the drivers themselves are still secure on their hollow rivet, and still functional. But gets very little active use these days. If I need to add such tiny drivers to my carry, I probably need pliers too, and so one of the three pliers tools get carried instead.

The Utilikey is STILL on my keys, well over a decade from first discovering it.

Aside from maybe a couple of pocket knives, this is probably the pocket tool which has been in my possession the longest. I use it so infrequently, I often forget I own it and carry it, but it has got me out of numerous fixes over the years, and is so light and unobtrusive that it would be folly not to carry it.

The INKA pen is excellent!

I know the Fisher Bullet has developed quite a following over the years, but I shunned it in favour of the Inka. Far less likely to be lost, and can be used for quick notes or extended writing. It's not a frequent carry these days, as I'm now more likely to have a full sized pen in my pocket or an OHTO Tasche fountain pen, but the Inka is still a great back up pen option.

While these items don't get much coverage online, as none of them are really big name brands, they have proved themselves (to me) as useful and valuable additions to my tool array. They've been carried many times, have done what was asked of them, and are still in good working order several years later. They still get occasional carry time, either when suited, or in summer time when pocket space is limited. There are many small multitools that have been released over the years, which have really just been novelty "dad gifts", but these have all saved the day at some time or other, and while other tools have been gifted away or sold on, these have stayed with me, and will (hopefully) continue to do so.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: July 01, 2019, 03:46:03 AM
Sorry to bring it from the dead, but wanted to say thanks to Chako. This thread was extremely helpful. I have the 19 in 1 on the way. I had a 6 in 1 and found it helpful in my everyday use. I ended up giving it to my son and needed a replacement. 

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #56 on: July 04, 2019, 01:11:25 AM
You are welcome.  :hatsoff:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #57 on: July 04, 2019, 03:01:24 AM
Tool Logic T1 Series Tech Light.

This little compact light is just perfect for those times when you are wearing your ball cap and you need a small light. The T1 Series Tech Light features a cap brim clip that allows you to hang this little light off of your ball cap. There is an on/off switch which is always better than those constant pressure on switches.

The T1 Series Tech Light features:
Metal Wire Cap Clip, LED Light, Removable Pen, Removable Micro Phillips and Flat Driver.

Pros:
- fits onto a ball cap brim for hands free lighting
- pen and micro drivers just add to the functionality
- built in lanyard hole
- hole that fits removable driver allows the user to use the whole light for extra torque

Cons:
- I can't think of any

Overall, this is a neat little flashlight all around.

Gotta get me one of those to clip on my hat;  the old Duck Commander light I used to use crapped out about a year ago. The added tools are neat.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #58 on: July 07, 2019, 06:42:57 AM
It is a handy little tool.

it Offline Mini

Reply #59 on: August 11, 2019, 10:11:10 PM
Thank you Chanko, you spent a lot of time for the community, this thread is really usefull!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%