Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

You have to leave in the next 30 mins........ and GO.

Aloha · 69 · 1892

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Are you really ready?  Whomever has broadcasted be it by tv, radio, aircraft, loudspeaker, whatever.  You must vacate in 30mins. 

Every year I go thru that scenario.  My drill is coming up and since I've moved within the year it got me thinking.  My fire escape scenario is also coming up.  We back our vehicles in the garage so we can pull them out and load into the trunks ( boots ) and go. 

Are you ready?  We've had wild fires, we still have them.  We've not had a quake thats devastated the city or floods in a while. 
I'll get myself up to snuff in the next few days but I can tell you right now I'd be

:ahhh

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:53:29 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: You have to leave in the next 30 mins........ and GO.
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 07:33:46 PM
Wildfires? Quakes? Floods?

Show content

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 07:35:35 PM
No worries, mate...

Show content

8) 8)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 07:43:50 PM
I will always have with me or around my person/in my truck: MT, Knife, Flashlight, Phone, Firearm (where/how permitted), paracord, first aid kit, camping stuff, big fixed blade or 2, tarp, ratchet straps, blankets, matches, lighter, fishing stuff. If i knew I had 30 minutes I would drive straight to pick up loved ones then to my place and load up every bit of gear, food, and ammunition i could.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 07:47:14 PM
Some time ago, I EDCed much more emergency/survival stuff. I reduced my EDC to a bare minimum. Maybe I'll put toghether a small survival tin to have around me at work or at home.

Can't harm and it's good for training your mind to select what's essential.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 08:29:18 PM
I know I should be more prepared, but I'm in inland Ireland.

Tsunami? Even if Gran Canaria were to fall into the sea and trigger a mega-tsunami, I'm inland and I have a range of tall hills between me and the sea.

Mega forest fire? It rains every third day here on average.  :facepalm: And there are no large connected forests to go up in flames anyway.

Mega Earthquake? The nearest fault capable of causing a damaging quake is several thousand kilometers away, I believe.

Flooding? That's the only thing we have to worry about, but the river running past several dozen meters away from the house is dammed in the hills, so it's controlled. Even major rain(what you Californians would consider the end of the world.  :rofl: ) would only force the people in charge of the
Dam to let out enough water for it to reach the property line.

This place is pretty idylic...
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 08:50:28 PM

Tsunami? Even if Gran Canaria were to fall into the sea and trigger a mega-tsunami, I'm inland and I have a range of tall hills between me and the sea.

Mega forest fire? It rains every third day here on average.  :facepalm: And there are no large connected forests to go up in flames anyway.

Mega Earthquake? The nearest fault capable of causing a damaging quake is several thousand kilometers away, I believe.

Flooding? That's the only thing we have to worry about, but the river running past several dozen meters away from the house is dammed in the hills, so it's controlled. Even major rain(what you Californians would consider the end of the world.  :rofl: ) would only force the people in charge of the

Same here. No nearby dams, coastline, power stations, toxic waste, major geo faults, forests, military targets, terrorist targets, or any other significant evacuation risks. I'm a mile from the nearest river, and about 100m higher. The worst case scenario here would likely be subsidence as the whole South Yorkshire region has been heavily mined. Maybe a gas leak at a nearby house, or fire in an adjoining house. Bottom line is no plans.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 09:03:47 PM
A total of 4,107 fires have burned 261,261 acres (1,057.29 km2) so far in 2017 in California.  Pretty devastating for the state.  Like I said we haven't had a major quake for a while thankfully.  I live 10 miles from the coast and while I haven't experienced a tsunami in 2011 there was an incident in Crescent City California.  I am roughly 50-70 feet above sea level.  I am more prepared for the wild fires we tend to experience tho I am also prepared for home issues that would have me vacate   
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 09:08:03 PM
I'm lucky enough to not have any real threats back home.

On travel though I sometimes end up in places were they have regular occurrences of pretty much every natural disaster known to man. And that is a worry; not so much for what to bring in 30 minutes, but rather where to go at all, and go anywhere by using what? In case of a proper emergency I also assume my credit cards will be quite useless and worthless.

I don't really have a good solution for this. I try to stay away from downright silly places as a first measure, and try to keep a small stock of water, food and a large battery phone where possible. The hope simply being to wait out any disaster from where ever I get stuck. Better ideas most welcome :)

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 09:02:33 AM
Some time ago, I EDCed much more emergency/survival stuff. I reduced my EDC to a bare minimum. Maybe I'll put toghether a small survival tin to have around me at work or at home.

Can't harm and it's good for training your mind to select what's essential.

Apologies if this is a slight derailment, but I've been thinking about this for a while........I went through the same, and since nothing much has changed for me I can't help but feel I was surfing some zeit geist wave......

Could it be we all sensed impending doom, and despite everything going on that sense faded just a little recently?

Feel free to tell me I'm dreaming, but I believe you can see the change in focus on Youtube as well.......  :think:

To answer the question, yes and no.

In my little bachelor flat I have most everything of value in closets that cover one whole wall.  From those closets I could get all the gear I could need/carry, FAK, knives, guns etc etc etc.
What I lack completely is any kind of food that could sustain me for a while.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 10:02:24 AM
I'm not going anywhere.
Got nowhere to go to and just sit anything out at home.

I do always have my essentials stuffed in a bag just in case.
But basicaly, my water and spare food (which isn't that much yet since we moved in 6 months ago) is stored in the basement.

ca Offline JP

Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 12:33:39 PM

Now tell us about the women.....

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 12:39:58 PM

Major Rain!
 :salute:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 12:41:28 PM

Same here. No nearby dams, coastline, power stations, toxic waste, major geo faults, forests, military targets, terrorist targets, or any other significant evacuation risks. I'm a mile from the nearest river, and about 100m higher. The worst case scenario here would likely be subsidence as the whole South Yorkshire region has been heavily mined. Maybe a gas leak at a nearby house, or fire in an adjoining house. Bottom line is no plans.

Major Geo!
 :salute:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 12:42:10 PM

(Image removed from quote.)
This area is very perfect, as far as natural disasters go.  :D

(Can I put that meme in my toolbox?  :rofl: )

All hail the hook!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 12:44:35 PM

(Image removed from quote.)
This area is very perfect, as far as natural disasters go.  :D

(Can I put that meme in my toolbox?  :rofl: )

Sure, I made it to be used anywhere anytime.

:tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 01:04:39 PM
Half an hour huh?

Easy, or at least it will be in a few days when my trailer is re-assembled.

All of my clothes are in one place, dog food, cans and Mountain House meals are all on the way out the door.  The trailer is right outside my back door, I have at least one large empty equipment bin the necessities can be stuffed in and I have canned/dried/freeze dried food to last at least a week- double that if I ration.  Oh yeah, and all of my equipment (knives, stoves, flashlights, fishing gear, guns, bows, water etc) are all in the spare room, which is where the back door is, so loading it onto the trailer won't take long either.

The Jeep is parked out front, so one of the longest parts of the prep would be to back the Jeep up the narrow driveway to hitch up the trailer.

It really wouldn't take long for us to get out the door comfortably, although depending on the circumstances I may want to drive out of town to swap the utility trailer for our camper, which is stored somewhere else, and cross-loading equipment from one to the other might be a bit more time consuming.  Unlike many folding campers, the interior of our Apache can't be accessed unless the top is raised and the bed ends pulled out, so figure at least 5 minutes to open it enough to access the interior, at least that again to transfer cargo from the utility trailer, and that again to drop the top and get ready for transport.

To be honest though, again, depending on the situation, I may not want the camper- I know of several places within a day's drive that we could go and not have to worry about shelter.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 01:35:34 PM
Half an hour huh?

Half an hour easy... right, except that fixing your trailer has now reached day 3 :whistle: :pok:

Also:

knives, stoves, flashlights, fishing gear, guns, bows, water etc) are all in the spare room, which is where the back door is, so loading it onto the trailer won't take long either.

See that all?! Uncle Def's toys are up for grabs!! :D
Let's light our torches and go!

Who's with me?

Anyone?!

:pok:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 01:38:36 PM by Mechanickal »

ca Offline JP

Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 01:40:54 PM
Ouch, I could feel the singe of that Burn

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: August 02, 2017, 02:03:59 PM
Half an hour huh?

Half an hour easy... right, except that fixing your trailer has now reached day 3 :whistle: :pok:

Also:

knives, stoves, flashlights, fishing gear, guns, bows, water etc) are all in the spare room, which is where the back door is, so loading it onto the trailer won't take long either.

See that all?! Uncle Def's toys are up for grabs!! :D
Let's light our torches and go!

Who's with me?

Anyone?!

:pok:
:D  :gimme:
When do we do this?

Don't forget that we gotta case the joint, find out when everyone(including the doggies) are out of the house.

All hail the hook!

ca Offline JP

Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 02:05:48 PM
Well, the homeowners usually give us a heads-up of when they will be away....just need to send them on a kayak trip

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 02:12:29 PM
A trip along the french river ought to give us enough time...

All hail the hook!

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 02:24:00 PM
Geologically stable, away from urban centres (no public unrest), top of a hill (no flooding), forrest fires?  in the UK? are you joking? As with fiddy no nearby dams, coastline, power stations, toxic waste, major geo faults, forests, terrorist targets, or any other significant evacuation risks.

One very infinitesimally small risk, or two to be precise RAF Northwood and High Wycombe, both are targets for nukes (like that's going to happen, even if it did I couldn't get far enough away for it to be of any use).

I do have a bag ready to go, but that's more for when I am away from home, but it could be used in this scenario. I could be out of the door and on my way in under 3 minutes.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 03:49:13 PM
Local mountains had flash flooding.  Weather hit hard with hail and heavy rain.  I live a bit away from open brush area than I did previously which is great.  My back yard before was a huge tinder box.  My goal is be able to load the vehicle with provisions and gear to campout or stay with friends for a week. 

Tomorrow is our fire evacuation walk thru.  We have drive routes planned in case of street closures.  We also have 3 meet points in case of separation.  I "worry" about communication.  When we had the massive power outage my phone went down as well as my kids.  We are on different plans that were out of service.     

Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 04:09:43 PM
Geologically stable, away from urban centres (no public unrest), top of a hill (no flooding), forrest fires?  in the UK? are you joking? As with fiddy no nearby dams, coastline, power stations, toxic waste, major geo faults, forests, terrorist targets, or any other significant evacuation risks.

One very infinitesimally small risk, or two to be precise RAF Northwood and High Wycombe, both are targets for nukes (like that's going to happen, even if it did I couldn't get far enough away for it to be of any use).

I do have a bag ready to go, but that's more for when I am away from home, but it could be used in this scenario. I could be out of the door and on my way in under 3 minutes.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: August 02, 2017, 04:11:29 PM
Local mountains had flash flooding.  Weather hit hard with hail and heavy rain.  I live a bit away from open brush area than I did previously which is great.  My back yard before was a huge tinder box.  My goal is be able to load the vehicle with provisions and gear to campout or stay with friends for a week. 

Tomorrow is our fire evacuation walk thru.  We have drive routes planned in case of street closures.  We also have 3 meet points in case of separation.  I "worry" about communication.  When we had the massive power outage my phone went down as well as my kids.  We are on different plans that were out of service.     

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: August 02, 2017, 04:12:49 PM
 :rofl:

Please tell me you also use this in everyday scenarios. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #27 on: August 02, 2017, 04:16:12 PM
I have concerns over something to this effect, which is in part why I'm in the process of downsizing all the extra stuff I have. I could easily be on the road within thirty minutes notice as of now, with a load of clothing, foodstuffs, and the majority of my knives and tools, but I'm trying to downsize to the point to where if I just had time to grab my pack and run, I'd not be leaving behind a substantial amount of money in goods that would burn or get swept away in floodwaters or the like. I'm slowly getting to that point, but if I could reduce my stuff to be able to be contained solely within my footlocker (minus clothes and books), I'd be quite content with my possibilities.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #28 on: August 03, 2017, 10:08:28 PM
Don't make me leave - I've only just sat down.  :rant:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

hr Offline styx

Reply #29 on: August 03, 2017, 10:23:28 PM
Half an hour? In that time I could get dressed, get the essentials, get out and get to a safe zone. helps that I live about 250 yards away from the nearest emergency safe zone
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%