Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

You have to leave in the next 30 mins........ and GO.

Aloha · 69 · 1726

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: You have to leave in the next 30 mins........ and GO.
Reply #30 on: August 04, 2017, 02:09:22 AM
Firstly, new page banana dance:  :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance:

I thought I lived in a pretty safe city a fair distance away from the main alpine fault and no other issues like flooding.
Then a previously unknown fault ruptured (about 19,000 quakes so far I think) and destroyed pretty much the whole CBD among other things and has also caused the rivers through the city to flood often.

Yes, some places are much safer than others. But I don't think being prepared at least a little would hurt. Which I should get onto... :pok: (self-poke)

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #31 on: August 04, 2017, 02:51:06 AM
I've focused most my resources in preparedness of personal emergency rather than some bug out situations.
It seems to me that I'm more likely to encounter a personal emergency rather than a complete catastrophe effect all around me. Therefore I carry what I consider essentials with me every day. Water, food, knife/multitool, fire making, rain protection, warmth, first aid, lighting, and emergency shelter.
That's enough for me and the children to be ok until when find help. When with the wife, I encourage her to pack her essentials. So we can be doubly prepared.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #32 on: August 04, 2017, 08:32:44 PM
I am very lucky to live in a place where:

- there are no earthwuakes, or haven't been in 250 yrs.
- no floods, heavy rains, dams or big rivers nearby
- no tornadoes, hurricanes, heavy widnstorms, snowstorms, or sandstorms
- by the sea, but there's never been a tsunami or sea rising in the last centuries (Mediterranean sea is very unlikely to get violent)
- no major political, social or criminal issues or problems, unstable government or violent population
- some forest fires, but usuallly far away and almost always quickly controlled

even though I could always fall prey of a building/city fire or other similar urban catastrophe, so I have my individual BOB a few feet away from the door, stashed with winter/summer clothing and an axe, plus a flashlight. In case anyone's interested, the bag has:

- Spyderco folding knife and Aqua Salt fixed blade
- AA light, AA batteries
- Paracord, zip-bags, zip-ties, trash bag, nylon gloves, bandana, extra socks and work gloves
- Phone charger, light charger, USB drive, documentation, $2200 cash
- Lock, keys, mini prybar, mini metal saw, water purifier, two BIC lighters
- MINI FAK with band-aids, needle and stitches, ibuprofen and painkillers, anti-diarrheic, anti-acids, alcohol wipes, gauze, duct tape, super glue, hypodermic needle, silicone tube, vaseline
- Pencil, pens, CD Marker, laser pointer, paper clips, Spirit multitool, Executive SAK,  strong neodymium magnets, candles

all in a not-so-big, carriable and non-tactical looking bag, with two added carabiners, a signaling light and mirror, whistle and tourniquet on the outside, plus water bottle and 4 energy bars (250kcal/bar) with a small trail mix bag on the side pockets
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: August 05, 2017, 07:54:09 AM
Fire evac walk thru went well.  I have to move a container in the garage to the gas line.  We have fire extinguishers all throughtout the house and in our vehicles.  There are 2 areas within easy walking distance that we chose as a meeting areas if for whatever reason our vehicles were damaged.  Deciding what to take ( memorable, keepsakes, etc ) is the hard part.  I have all pictures saved so hard copies can be left behind.  I grabbed my computer and bin with clothing plus personal docs.  I also was able to load 2 bins with items that could be used for camping out.  I loaded the dog plus water in 20 mins approx.  I did forget random little items but nothing that wouldn't be needed. 

Our walk thru was set against a timer.  Load and be ready in 30 mins.  Last time I was under evacuation I think I had an hour or so. 

Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #34 on: August 05, 2017, 10:10:15 AM
People have lived here for over 3000 years. It´s a good spot, no need to leave.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: August 05, 2017, 10:45:07 AM

Pretty sure most of those people died there too... Just saying  ;) :D
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #36 on: August 05, 2017, 10:50:20 AM

Also 99.9 percent of all the people that drank Dihydrogen Monoxide died a within a week afterwards.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: August 05, 2017, 11:01:52 AM
Also 99.9 percent of all the people that drank Dihydrogen Monoxide died a within a week afterwards.

True that. And those who didn't drink Dihydrogen Monoxide within a week likely died too. What is a man to do here?  :ahhh No way to win against this substance! I feel a ban coming on.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: August 05, 2017, 11:03:08 AM

True that. And those who didn't drink Dihydrogen Monoxide within a week likely died too. What is a man to do here?  :ahhh No way to win against this substance! I feel a ban coming on.
Do you let your friends and family have it? Or not?
 :ahhh :ahhh

All hail the hook!

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #39 on: August 05, 2017, 11:03:26 AM

I´m living in a graveyard!  :ahhh

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: August 05, 2017, 11:05:12 AM
Do you let your friends and family have it? Or not?
 :ahhh :ahhh

They give it to me! What am I to do?
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: August 05, 2017, 11:06:53 AM

Sounds like you're ahead and winning then? At least for now..

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #42 on: August 06, 2017, 04:31:55 PM

Then they should be fairly quiet neighbors, right?
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline redmond

Reply #43 on: August 06, 2017, 04:57:28 PM
Let's see.

Cascadia subduction zone - 9.5 or so earthquakes have and will occur
Nisqually fault is a few miles south of us (6.8 earthquake 2001)
Our neighborhood straddles the Seattle fault (several small quakes each year)
Surrounded by dormant, glacier covered volcanoes that explode (e.g. Mt. St Hellens, 5/18/1980) or produce large lahars
Urban/suburban/foothill geology is mostly glacial till that tends to catastrophically slide into the valleys or bodies of water (Oso mudslide 2014)
Tsunami threat from large earthquakes on the Pacific Rim
Any attempt to drive out of the area would involve a few million people using a limited number of highways
A bit close to the Yellowstone supervolcano
Within range of NK missles
Hanta virus, West Nile virus, etc.

Yeah, I think we're good here.
 :facepalm:

Greg
LM: PST II, Crunch (x2), Squirt, Micra, Skeletool, Rebar, Wave
SAK: Executive, Classic, Compact, Farmer, Fieldmaster, Huntsman, Explorer, SwissChamp, Climber, Camper, Pioneer, Pioneer X, Money Clip, Minichamp, Cadet, Super Tinker, Bijou, Excelsior, Swisstool, Wenger SGT Shortix  Plus, Traveler, Evo S18
 Gerber: Mr. Pinchy, MP600

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: August 06, 2017, 05:00:50 PM
Now I never said I'd survive even if I was able to evacuate in 30 mins  :ahhh.  I hope in any event I'd have a fighting chance tho.
Esse Quam Videri

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: August 06, 2017, 05:36:30 PM
Let's see.

Cascadia subduction zone - 9.5 or so earthquakes have and will occur
Nisqually fault is a few miles south of us (6.8 earthquake 2001)
Our neighborhood straddles the Seattle fault (several small quakes each year)
Surrounded by dormant, glacier covered volcanoes that explode (e.g. Mt. St Hellens, 5/18/1980) or produce large lahars
Urban/suburban/foothill geology is mostly glacial till that tends to catastrophically slide into the valleys or bodies of water (Oso mudslide 2014)
Tsunami threat from large earthquakes on the Pacific Rim
Any attempt to drive out of the area would involve a few million people using a limited number of highways
A bit close to the Yellowstone supervolcano
Within range of NK missles
Hanta virus, West Nile virus, etc.

Yeah, I think we're good here.
 :facepalm:
You need a helicopter.  :pok: :pok:

All hail the hook!

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #46 on: August 06, 2017, 06:15:35 PM
Leave in the next 30 minutes?! Meh...I'm just working on my 2nd cup of coffee in that time. Tell Mother Nature to read a magazine in the waiting room and I'll buzz her in when I'm done.

The problem with all these ideal locations is overpopulation.
When the SHTF, that's where everyone is going to flee too because the disaster won't be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #47 on: August 06, 2017, 06:43:03 PM
Leave in the next 30 minutes?! Meh...I'm just working on my 2nd cup of coffee in that time. Tell Mother Nature to read a magazine in the waiting room and I'll buzz her in when I'm done.

When the SHTF, that's where everyone is going to flee too because the disaster won't be there.

That's one of the things that I find quite chucklesome about the "survival" thing that so many people are into these days. The general gist seems to be if you head for the woods with some top dollar branded kit and a modicum of bushcrafting skills, you'll be fine. In the UK, if everyone did that, there would probably be about 100 people per tree, and about 1000 people per squirrel  :rofl:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: August 06, 2017, 07:37:41 PM
Half an hour. I wish. We had two minutes when the forest fire almost got here a couple of years ago. The police didn't want to even give us that, it was grab the kids, a bag of stuff and run. Oh and when the rockets were landing, we were lucky, we had almost a whole minute to get under cover when the sirens went.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 07:46:45 PM by pomsbz »
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: August 06, 2017, 07:51:15 PM

That's one of the things that I find quite chucklesome about the "survival" thing that so many people are into these days. The general gist seems to be if you head for the woods with some top dollar branded kit and a modicum of bushcrafting skills, you'll be fine. In the UK, if everyone did that, there would probably be about 100 people per tree, and about 1000 people per squirrel  :rofl:

I've always wondered about that. The smurf hits the fan. The cities empty. The forests and woods erupt with fire fights, disease and anarchy. The old people who were left in the city to die stroll over to the open banks and jewellery shops whistling happy tunes and generally giggling before raiding the pubs.    :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 07:52:44 PM by pomsbz »
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: August 06, 2017, 08:15:21 PM
As mentioned above: Go... where? The obvious dangers where I live are: The ground gives in and causes a landslide (it's a lot of quick clay here). That gives about 0 s warning. Some factory has a chemical leak. That will cause an evacuation, and give some “fair” warning. (No really nasty stuff here, AFAIK, just the normally dangerous ammonia and so on.) War. (Well, probably spoken as a child of the cold war. Less chance of war here than most places, I guess.) All of these very nasty scenarios are generally grab and run, but we often forget the simple scenarios. I live in a small apartment block, a quite normal fire is more likely than all of the nasty stuff I listed before, and then the most valuable stuff is my wallet, my passport, and the SD-card with copies of all my certificates, grades and stuff like that.

I have thought a little about this, and I have come to the conclusion that digital backups of the paper trail of my life and my ID papers are really a lot more important than any water purifier or lovely multi-tool.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: August 06, 2017, 09:44:42 PM
I was home in Manhattan when 9/11 struck and my first reaction was to leave but all the bridges and tunnels were shut down :ahhh
So I guess I'd hit the burrito shop on my way to the bar :think:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: August 07, 2017, 12:18:09 AM
I was home in Manhattan when 9/11 struck and my first reaction was to leave but all the bridges and tunnels were shut down :ahhh

Yes, that is a likely issue in many cases. Or just traffic jam from all the people going off elsewhere. If I actually had to go somewhere from here I'd seriously consider using the boat even if undersized for long travel. The sea don't close as such.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #53 on: August 07, 2017, 12:28:59 AM
GO.......  where ever you preplanned or a Red Cross designated location.  When I was pre-evacuated due to wild fires I was going to head to my sister inlaws.  I have no bug out spot or the like.  Like I always say my preparations for having to leave on under mandatory evacuations.  Those preparations are as if I was leaving for holiday for a week plus important documents and some items I don't want to fuss with having insurance replace. 

As far as civic unrest or zombies I'll stay in my home.  I have no bug out anything.  I have provisions at home to be able to make due should the city be in unrest.  We have had floods in the north and fires buring so its very real here.  I went thru wild fires in 03/07 to which mandatory evacuations were in place.  Many went to relatives and some went to shelters.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: August 07, 2017, 12:58:06 AM
Yes, that is a likely issue in many cases. Or just traffic jam from all the people going off elsewhere. If I actually had to go somewhere from here I'd seriously consider using the boat even if undersized for long travel. The sea don't close as such.

Yes indeed. No boat here but bicycles were a consideration. Even in my not so spring-chickeny condition I'm pretty sure I could cover 20 - 30 miles in a day. But no way would I leave my older dog behind, so bar and burritos for me.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #55 on: August 07, 2017, 03:33:18 AM
 :whistle:

* bike-trailer-dogs1.jpg (Filesize: 35.68 KB)

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: August 07, 2017, 06:08:42 AM
A bike is actually a good idea though you will need to have the saddle bags loaded with the extra food and drink it will require for 'fuel'. It will avoid the grid lock however and you will get further than on foot. The biggest problem is family. That's a scary responsibility for bugging out. From experience.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: August 07, 2017, 03:29:39 PM
The more I think about the more I like the boat option: Free passage for moving, one can effortlessly bring others along , and it includes some electric power, shelter and storage space. If it turns into a prolonged situation then food can be fished as you go, and even makeshift sails can provide some propulsion if fuel runs out.

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: August 07, 2017, 03:52:03 PM
The more I think about the more I like the boat option: Free passage for moving, one can effortlessly bring others along , and it includes some electric power, shelter and storage space. If it turns into a prolonged situation then food can be fished as you go, and even makeshift sails can provide some propulsion if fuel runs out.

I'm not a sailor but I would worry about storms and maintenance. Especially if the SHTF situation is a weather based one?

Or am I just showing my lack of knowledge about anything wet? My grandfather and his brothers built ships on the Clyde and my fathers cousin owns a custom yacht building business in Italy but I've personally never done any more boating on anything more than a lake.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%