Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I need your help.... again....

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
I need your help.... again....
on: August 03, 2017, 04:27:36 PM
You guys really came to my aid a few months ago in the original I Need Your Help thread, and, although I didn't get the position, I did really appreciate the things you all had to say.

So here we are again, only this time it's not an editor position, it is a Project Coordinator position for a local tool company- and I do mean local, as they are based about 200m from my house.  What they are looking for is:

The ideal candidate is an excellent communicator, a natural team builder, a motivated and innovative self-starter, and is passionate about the maker movement and sharing economy. The position requires strong organizational and administrative skills, and a good sense of humour.

If you think any of the above applies to me, I would appreciate it if you would all say a little something I can throw in as a reference.

Thanks in advance!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: I need your help.... again....
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 04:35:07 PM
Just tell your future boss to sign up here and browse the forum. You'll get the job and even a promotion before you start.

:cheers: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline JP

Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 04:59:39 PM
You got it all except for the humour.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 05:00:06 PM
Hmmm...

That sense of humour part is calling up doubts...

Naah just kidding! Sounds to me like a job that's tailored for you.

Show them your trailer topic and the mugshot that you used to top it off.
If that doesn't convince them that you can keep the spirit high, I don't know what would.

Self starter? What did you start here? A multicultural worldwide organisation! You do alot of administration for it while still being very present here.

Did that stroke your ego enough? :dd:

Meant every word though... apart from the first 10...

:tu:

Go Def!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 05:00:30 PM
JP seems to think alike :rofl:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 05:01:30 PM
Hmmm...

If that doesn't convince them that you can keep the spirit high, I don't know what would.

Self starter? What did you start here? A multicultural worldwide organisation! You do alot of administration for it while still being very present here.

Go Def!

If he goes def, how can he hear what's expected of him?...
 :think:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 05:19:47 PM
Hmmm...

Go Def!

If he goes def, how can he hear what's expected of him?...
 :think:
Nothing to say, so here you go

:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

:twak:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 05:42:37 PM
August 3, 2017
Local Tool Company
Ottawa, Ontario

To Whom It May Concern:

I am a member of Grant Lamontagne's online forum, MultiTool.org. I can personally attest to his ability to run this massive website, which requires great amounts of discernment, organization, people and administrative skills, a good attitude, a sense of community, and definitely a good sense of humor.

Mr. Lamontagne is an excellent administrator. He has made his endeavor to create this community a tremendous success. There is not a more information-rich place on multi-tools anywhere else on the internet. The passion that he has for the topic clearly shines through in all of his posts. He has overcome hard times to keep this place running, and has shown great amounts of dedication by pressing on even through difficult situations. Not only has Mr. Lamontagne done a great job of putting this community together, he has also assembled around himself an outstanding team of administrators from around the globe, each with different talents, and coordinated the separate duties of behind-the-scenes operations with them. In addition to organizing and running this community that he has created, Mr. Lamontagne has won the genuine affection and respect of the members that associate themselves with him. He is a true leader, and shows respect and integrity to those around him. The method of administration to which he prescribes is not harsh, but very effective. He can usually cool down a heated argument with a well worded jest, or divert the conversation to other topics. When the time comes to confront something directly, though, Mr. Lamontagne has shown on multiple occasions that he is up to the challenge. In these said occasions, he has handled himself professionally and courteously, even when the other party refused to do so.

There are many ways in which I am convinced that Mr. Lamontagne can and will be a valuable asset to you should you choose to hire him. As previously stated, his administrative skills are superb, but in addition to this, I believe that he could give your business a presence on social media if that is something you desire. He is a proficient, down to earth writer, as you will be able to see by reading some of his reviews on MultiTool.org. I think that this would translate very nicely into writing posts or articles about tools that you have in your inventory to both inform and advertise to consumers.

I would highly recommend that you hire Mr. Lamontagne as Project Coordinator. It is my belief that he will prove himself extremely valuable to you as an employer with his good attitude, administrative and organizational skills, and ability to connect with others.

Sincerely,

Graham Doolittle
Forum member with current experience in the business world

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 05:44:55 PM
August 3, 2017
Local Tool Company
Ottawa, Ontario

To Whom It May Concern:

I am a member of Grant Lamontagne's online forum, MultiTool.org. I can personally attest to his ability to run this massive website, which requires great amounts of discernment, organization, people and administrative skills, a good attitude, a sense of community, and definitely a good sense of humor.

Mr. Lamontagne is an excellent administrator. He has made his endeavor to create this community a tremendous success. There is not a more information-rich place on multi-tools anywhere else on the internet. The passion that he has for the topic clearly shines through in all of his posts. He has overcome hard times to keep this place running, and has shown great amounts of dedication by pressing on even through difficult situations. Not only has Mr. Lamontagne done a great job of putting this community together, he has also assembled around himself an outstanding team of administrators from around the globe, each with different talents, and coordinated the separate duties of behind-the-scenes operations with them. In addition to organizing and running this community that he has created, Mr. Lamontagne has won the genuine affection and respect of the members that associate themselves with him. He is a true leader, and shows respect and integrity to those around him. The method of administration to which he prescribes is not harsh, but very effective. He can usually cool down a heated argument with a well worded jest, or divert the conversation to other topics. When the time comes to confront something directly, though, Mr. Lamontagne has shown on multiple occasions that he is up to the challenge. In these said occasions, he has handled himself professionally and courteously, even when the other party refused to do so.

There are many ways in which I am convinced that Mr. Lamontagne can and will be a valuable asset to you should you choose to hire him. As previously stated, his administrative skills are superb, but in addition to this, I believe that he could give your business a presence on social media if that is something you desire. He is a proficient, down to earth writer, as you will be able to see by reading some of his reviews on MultiTool.org. I think that this would translate very nicely into writing posts or articles about tools that you have in your inventory to both inform and advertise to consumers.

I would highly recommend that you hire Mr. Lamontagne as Project Coordinator. It is my belief that he will prove himself extremely valuable to you as an employer with his good attitude, administrative and organizational skills, and ability to connect with others.

Sincerely,

Graham Doolittle

Also, he looks great in a dress!

:tu: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 06:02:24 PM
August 3, 2017
Local Tool Company
Ottawa, Ontario

To Whom It May Concern:

Sincerely,

Graham Doolittle

No way I could expound on this topic more eloquently than Mr Doolittle has here, so I'll just say +1  :tu:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 06:08:59 PM
You got it all except for the humour.

Sure he has lots of humor! He asked for help here didn't he?  :D

+1 to the reference text above. That company should be so lucky.  :cheers:

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 07:50:11 PM
GDoolittle's writing was as closest to what I think but worded in a much more clear, concise and precise way than I could've ever been able to expose

:salute: :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: August 03, 2017, 10:25:37 PM
Nice reference Gdoo  :tu:

Grant, if you need anything from me with my name on it, drop me an email through with some specifics on (company name, business activity, project details, anything else you think might be relevant), and I'll see if I can align your experience, my industrial experience, and whatever tooling these guys work in. I'm more than happy to help, but with it being tooling I want to make sure it's relevant to both you and them, and doesn't effectively say "He's very good at something you don't do"  :D Obviously, I'll fire it back off the forum (email) as it will have all my personal details on it.

I'll try and have a look at it over the weekend, as my head is full of other crap at the minute.  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 10:49:43 PM
I would be happy to put my signature/occupation/contact info on mine as well if you need me to. Just shoot me a PM if you do

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 11:13:07 PM
I cannot really add anything else to this but I can say the job requirements seem to be tailored to you in every way and I personally know you will excell in the position if they hire you. I honestly think they would be foolish to not hire you for the position. Good luck boss!
I'm the milk man!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 11:20:40 PM
I'm not in the business, so my reference won't be worth much (and English isn't my first language), but here is an excellent reference on how to write letters of recommendation: http://www.missdoxie.com/2007/02/while_i_am_at_i.html

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 04, 2017, 01:39:39 AM
Great letter GDoo.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 01:55:23 AM
I have been a member here for 9 years and as far as Internet time is considered that is forever and 6 days :o This has always been a great place for people all over the world to come and spend their time.  Everything that has happened here has been handled extremely professional and I am proud to still be a member here after so many years.  Grant has always treated members with respect. He knows how to start and run a very intricate site and has a great sense of humor as well.  The description of this job also sounds perfectly suited for him.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #18 on: August 04, 2017, 03:03:49 AM
The ideal candidate is an excellent communicator

Grant has started tons of threads here, and participated in countless discussions, on various subjects, mostly tool-related. He respects us and treats us as equals, and encourages us to post our opinions.

a natural team builder

He has built a team of very knowledgeable and well-respected individuals, every single one of whom you'd be proud to call a friend and colleague.

a motivated and innovative self-starter

MTO was build from the ground up, to the best source of information on multitools. Grant continues to improve the site, striving to provide us with a functional, no-nonsense medium of the multitool community.

and is passionate about the maker movement and sharing economy.

Who does this describe more than Grant? He is always on top of tool innovations, company events, and the opportunity for new designers to present their ideas and thoughts.

The position requires strong organizational and administrative skills

MTO has been going strong for eleven years. This was not achieved by half-hazard decisions and carelessness. As the founder of mto, Grant is constantly required to make decisions that will affect all of us. The amount of enthusiasm during mto's eleventh anniversary is a testament to Grant's organizational and administrative skills.

and a good sense of humour.

Grant is considered a friend more than a faceless site owner. He makes us laugh on a daily basis, be it anecdotes or a well-crafted pun here and there. Many members of this site seek entertainment or simply a friendly place to hang out. And Grant delivers.

Had I been shown the job description out of context, I would have assumed it was referring to Grant. He meets all requirements like a custom kydex sheath.
He has been running a tool-oriented site for eleven years, offering suggestions and comments on using, designing, customizing, selling, buying, trading, repairing, maintaining, and reviewing tools. A company who decides to hire Grant does not only gain the best candidate they could ever dream of, they're also gaining the support of the multitool community, his friends.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #19 on: August 04, 2017, 04:16:19 AM
You should bring them over to MultiTool.org. I can easily vouch for your character, administrative skills, etc...I even met you once in person.

Seeing that you live only 200 meters away...and have this web site to show, I cannot imagine their not hiring you on the spot.  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline JP

Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 08:04:57 PM
Any news?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 03:16:36 AM
Any news?

They requested that people apply with videos or some other creative means, so I sent this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATi05QjuHok

We'll see what happens....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 05:50:29 AM
I hope it goes well for you Grant.  :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline JP

Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 08:22:21 AM
2:22am now. I will watch the video later. Just had to post due to time.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 10:18:14 AM
The audio is a bit low (probably the microphone on the camera used), but other than that I like the application
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #25 on: August 11, 2017, 11:09:14 AM
Best of luck, Grant! I'll also be job hunting soon so may our future be brighter  :cheers:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #26 on: August 11, 2017, 12:04:17 PM
Just tell your future boss to sign up here and browse the forum. You'll get the job and even a promotion before you start.

This might be the worst advice I've ever heard here. :P

Def, go for it. The worst they can do is give you the job, right?
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: August 11, 2017, 12:52:23 PM

This might be the worst advice I've ever heard here. :P

Def, go for it. The worst they can do is give you the job, right?

Oh, yeah?!

Show content

8) 8)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #28 on: August 12, 2017, 06:21:02 PM
I liked the video Grant (did you lose weight?), you lend yourself well to self deprecating humor. I think including some specific numbers as to how large MT.org is would be helpful, having numbers to back up your "huge community"  would be ideal, and prove you aren't just being boastful.

Also, I know your phone number now... Did you know your refrigerator is running?
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: August 13, 2017, 12:43:34 PM
My phone number is posted everywhere, including the front page of The Multitool.org Store so I'm not too worried about making it public.  :D

To be brutally honest, I love MTO and I am very proud of what we have here, but it actually isn't that "huge" really, when you compare it to the competition like EDCForums, Candlepower, Knifeforums, Bladeforums etc, but (and I may be a bit biased here) I think we have a much better quality forum than the others.  We have moderators, but they spend more of their time engaging members, asking questions, having a good time and giving away prizes than they do banning, threatening to ban etc.  I would say (and remember, I was a moderator at one of the big ones for a few years) that we have probably banned less members in eleven years than the other guys do every quarter- and every month in some cases. 

If I were the type of guy to draw conclusions, I might suggest that we have a better overall community and better members than they do.  But, that would be suggesting that we have done something right and they haven't, which doesn't really track as they are much bigger and therefore "more successful" so I totally give credit to them for their methods.

It's just not the way we do things here.  :D

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%