Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Replacing the scales on a VSAK Executive; Rookie with questions

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Hello everyone,

I have an early Executive with the single-leaf spring scissors that needs new scales.  The original scales are gone, but the knife is in great shape otherwise so I'd like to try to save it.  I've watched some videos on how to do this and it looks simple enough, but I have two questions and I'm hoping a more experienced modder could help. 

1.  Source of scales.  Other than trawling eBay, is there a reliable source where one can simply order a new set of genuine VSAK scales?

2. Specific to the Executive, is it advisable to use some kind of adhesive when installing the new scales?  I know it seems like anathema, but the rivets that hold the scales on are located at the ends of the knife (ie, there's no rivet in the middle) and I've seen executives with "bowing" scales on them.  Is there a good way to prevent this with this particular knife?

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer!

Kind regards,

Myron

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Putting standard Victorinox scales is the same across all model sizes... even if the pins are at the ends... unless the scale pivot holes are intact, no adhesive is required...

Where to source? Hopefully some more experienced members can chime in... :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Putting standard Victorinox scales is the same across all model sizes... even if the pins are at the ends... unless the scale pivot holes are intact, no adhesive is required...

Where to source? Hopefully some more experienced members can chime in... :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks jaya man!

au Online Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Replacement 91mm scales are pretty common - But I have never seen replacement 75mm

I'd stick a Q on the Vic website - Contact Us section - They'll not supply direct - But may recommend a dealer

- Or you could just send it into them and ask for a repair

Re glue and middle pin yout could put a dot of glue if you were concerned about bowing - or if the bushing holes are damaged at the ends

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Replacement 91mm scales are pretty common - But I have never seen replacement 75mm

I'd stick a Q on the Vic website - Contact Us section - They'll not supply direct - But may recommend a dealer

- Or you could just send it into them and ask for a repair

Re glue and middle pin yout could put a dot of glue if you were concerned about bowing - or if the bushing holes are damaged at the ends

Thank  you Huntsman.  I ended up buying new scales from Heidi Shop in Switzerland.  They were only about 10 bucks a pair, but shipping was pricey so I added a knife I didn't already have in my collection to my cart at the same time.  Figured I might as well optimize my shipping dollar...

Regarding bowing, yes, this is exactly what I'm worried about.  I think I'll try it without glue first and see how it goes. 

Thanks again.

Myron

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24