Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need help to identify unknown multitool

ph Offline Zephon

Need help to identify unknown multitool
on: August 05, 2017, 04:09:49 AM
Hi everyone! I need a little help identifying what tool was copied by the knockoff in the pictures.

I picked this up in a bookstore, of all places, about 5 years ago. It was in the section for scrapbook tools and what have you. I don't think it even cost USD5 that time.

It's butterfly folding but the tools are outside accessible. Out of the 5 tools per arm in the pictures, select 2 lock in place, like the blades and screwdrivers.
IMG_4821.JPG
* IMG_4821.JPG (Filesize: 116.24 KB)
IMG_4822.JPG
* IMG_4822.JPG (Filesize: 97.5 KB)
IMG_4823.JPG
* IMG_4823.JPG (Filesize: 94.79 KB)
IMG_4824.JPG
* IMG_4824.JPG (Filesize: 92.57 KB)

ph Offline Zephon

Re: Need help to identify unknown multitool
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 04:20:59 AM
Size comparison to a SAK.

I kinda did something crazy which had me hammering the spine of the blade to cut through something in the woodwork. Bent the blade doing that. Tool feels good in hand - nothing sharp or anything.  You can really clamp down with the pliers. Scissors are Wenger style with the spring and all but no serrations on the teeth. Talking about serrations, there's this weird half and half blade aside from the PE blade.
Unlocking mechanism is amusing- push down all the tools on that side to put pressure on the back spring to unlock.

I like the tool and the selection of implements inside. I'm wondering where was it copied from or if this is a Frankenstein of different designs. I never found these on the shelves again after that.
IMG_4826.JPG
* IMG_4826.JPG (Filesize: 128.62 KB)
IMG_4827.JPG
* IMG_4827.JPG (Filesize: 130.83 KB)
IMG_4825.JPG
* IMG_4825.JPG (Filesize: 79.41 KB)

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 06:31:19 AM
That's a Schrade Tough Tool copy.

http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=ST1+Tough+Tool

This was first made by Schrade, when Schrade was a brand. USA made, top notch quality, just a bit quirky design-wise.
Then Schrade went bankrupt, and Taylor Brands bought the name Schrade, and dished out Chinese made models, of lower quality. I think Schrade was bought by Smith & Wesson recently, but that's another story.

The multi-tool you have is a copy of the newer made Schrade Tough Tool ST1, with a flush plier pivot.
A major difference (Major Difference  :salute: ) is that yours is constructed with screws, which means you can take the implements out and have them replaced or swapped around.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 06:39:14 AM by ReamerPunch »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 07:27:11 AM
Oohh thank you thank you very much!
 :salute:

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 07:03:07 PM
 I actually love the USA made tough tools. Such a unique design. Well built, cool locking system, comfortable pliers, interesting tool selection.  The Chinese ones actually aren't bad as far as Chinese multitools go, but are a joke compared to the originals.  The one you have no doubt came from the same factory as the "Schrade" ones, they just didn't stamp it.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 03:46:32 AM
I highly doubt it's a copy. More likely made in the same Chinese factory as the Taylor Tough Tools. I've seen knives sold as Appalachian Trail (Lowe's) and Rite Edge that resembled Old Timer knives, and looked identical in fit and finish to Taylor Schrade-branded products.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 06:23:19 PM
Almost certainly.  Cost of doing business in China -- once you send over the design you lose any control over it. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%