Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A new experience

Grathr · 46 · 1475

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
A new experience
on: August 05, 2017, 09:01:02 PM
Today I got to experience something I never thought would happen to me.
I was with my son and another family on a train ride on a museum railroad, when the carriage we where in derailed. Luckily the speed was low, so noone was hurt. But stuff and people got thrown around  in their seats a bit but the carriage did not tip over. It did tilt so much though that my soda bottle just slid of the table if you tried to put it there.
We evacuated the train on fot and walked about half a kilometer to the nearest road, where busses came to pic us up after about 1,5 hours. (We where about 20km from the nearest town)

This made me think about just how prepeared I actually was, if it had not turned out that well.
I had about 1,5 liters of water/soda, 4 wasa sandwich snack packs, thin raincoats for me and my son, battery pack for my phone and some bandaids in my backpack.
Also I had a wenger soldier 70, a vic manager, a swisstech tool and a CRKT Kert in my pockets, in adition to a notepad, pencil and pen.

All in all that was not too bad. But I think I was under equipped in some ways.  A First aid kit could have been a lifesaver if things had gone south. Also I had no way to make a fire, and lacked a tool with a good saw on me.
(The train had an awesome emergensy tool kit though. See pic below)
A lighter and a first aid kit will be added to my backpack. Also I might have to start carrying a farmer or similar tool when I know ill be travelling by train or bus in thinly populated areas.

Below is a pic of the carriage. You cant see it but the weels on this side are on the inside of the track. I think the carriage would have tipped over if the speed had been high. 

IMG_9690.JPG
* IMG_9690.JPG (Filesize: 148.8 KB)
IMG_9702.JPG
* IMG_9702.JPG (Filesize: 162.55 KB)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 09:05:14 PM by Grathr »
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: A new experience
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 09:12:47 PM
I'm glad that you and your son are safe and sound.  :salute:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 09:16:09 PM
Glad to hear nobody got hurt  :cheers:

Do you know what caused it?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

no Offline Grathr

Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 09:29:37 PM

Not yet. The carriage was over 100 years old, so it might have been a mechanical failure. Or maybe problems with the track wich is from the 1870s.
There will be an incident investigation by the authorithies though.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 10:03:59 PM
You just never know.  Glad you and your son were unhurt as hopefully no one was.  The struggle is how prepared should we be?  I tend to have a decent 1st aid kit when leaving the house as well have water and snacks.  I carry 2 lights and back up battery for my cell.  All items are easily stowed with a small bag.  I used to have gloves in there and now that I think about it I will put them back in.  In no way is this a BOB or anything like that.  I just don't want to have nothing or carry everything in my pockets. 
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 10:09:23 PM

+1

Glad it was just a scare...
 :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

hr Offline styx

Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 10:12:20 PM
Glad to see everyone was ok.
As for being ready I think you were well off. Don't worry about fire, just yell Thor a bunch of times and a lightning will help you out. As for first aid, no matter what you have, it is never enough.
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 10:41:09 PM
I'm glad that you and your son are safe and sound.  :salute:

+1   :tu:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 11:25:27 PM
Glad to hear no-one was injured. The nice thing about rail is anybody who comes to help at least knows where to look. :)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 11:33:12 PM
So glad your both ok  :salute:

no Offline Grathr

Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 06:37:23 AM
Thanks guys!

As for being ready I think you were well off. Don't worry about fire, just yell Thor a bunch of times and a lightning will help you out. As for first aid, no matter what you have, it is never enough.

Shhhhh!
You must not reveal the secret firemaking trick to everyone  :twak:

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 08:08:54 AM
Glad you are safe that's all that matters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 08:39:13 AM
Glad you and your son are safe and no one was seriously injured.  Thanks for sharing, especially your thoughts about preparedness gear. Here in the Philippines the capital is due for a major quake so disaster preparedness is a hot topic around the capital
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 09:29:35 AM by an0nemus »

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 11:28:16 AM
Glad your son and yourself (and everyone else) are all ok. I think you were pretty well prepared, you were on a day out with your son and while being prepared is part of who/what we are, you can only carry so much. In the event of a serious injury, you had the tools on you to fashion bandages etc.
I think the only reasonable addition to what you had is a small first aid kit ?

as an aside, the CRKT Kert looks interesting, depending on your opinion of it there could be one in my future.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 01:08:54 PM
Man, that must have been terrifying after the fact as I am sure it probably happened very quickly to worry about it during the event. Very happy to hear no one got injured. As far as the first aid kit, a small portable one would have helped your son and you, however, in a major accident, it wouldn't be enough.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #15 on: August 06, 2017, 01:38:17 PM
Wow! I'm glad you two are ok.
Nate

SEND IT!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #16 on: August 06, 2017, 01:42:11 PM
I am relieved that you were unharmed.

Show content
Everyone else has already used the word glad!

hr Offline styx

Reply #17 on: August 06, 2017, 01:53:51 PM
Thanks guys!

Shhhhh!

It only works for you norsemen anyway. Maybe if I were to get a carbon steel Mjolnir pendant that could also be used as a firesteel scraper, the steel component in a flint and steel and a bearing block for bowdrill fires :think  :think:

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

no Offline Grathr

Reply #18 on: August 06, 2017, 03:17:09 PM
Thanks for the well wishes  guys! :salute:

no Offline Grathr

Reply #19 on: August 06, 2017, 03:25:01 PM
Glad your son and yourself (and everyone else) are all ok. I think you were pretty well prepared, you were on a day out with your son and while being prepared is part of who/what we are, you can only carry so much. In the event of a serious injury, you had the tools on you to fashion bandages etc.
I think the only reasonable addition to what you had is a small first aid kit ?

as an aside, the CRKT Kert looks interesting, depending on your opinion of it there could be one in my future.

The KERT is a nice backup tool on the keychain. I have used the flat driver a lot for scraping stuff. The bottle opener isnt that great, but works in a pinch. The seatbelt cutter I have used a lot for cutting string, packet bands and so on when I havent had a knife with me.
The wrench holes i havent had any use
for.

I believe it was designed by a member here BTW.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #20 on: August 06, 2017, 04:18:34 PM
Man, that must have been terrifying after the fact as I am sure it probably happened very quickly to worry about it during the event. Very happy to hear no one got injured. As far as the first aid kit, a small portable one would have helped your son and you, however, in a major accident, it wouldn't be enough.

:salute:

Beeing able to help one or two is one or two more than none. :)

no Offline Grathr

Reply #21 on: August 06, 2017, 04:21:50 PM
Thanks guys!

Shhhhh!

It only works for you norsemen anyway. Maybe if I were to get a carbon steel Mjolnir pendant that could also be used as a firesteel scraper, the steel component in a flint and steel and a bearing block for bowdrill fires :think  :think:

:rofl:

gb Offline zr0dfx

Reply #22 on: August 06, 2017, 08:56:29 PM
Very cool experience! I am glad no one got hurt  :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #23 on: August 07, 2017, 01:42:56 AM
I just meant that even having a large one may not be enough to help everyone. Any first aid kit is better than none. Sorry for not expressing myself properly.  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #24 on: August 07, 2017, 01:44:41 AM
The important thing is that you are all ok- being shaken like that can be very distressing, even if no one was hurt.  Good on you for thinking "next step" and then "how can this be better handled next time?"

Of course, I speak for all of us when I say I really hope there isn't a next time.

It is a bit concerning that you had no recourse but to hike through the woods to get to a bus- these kinds of things (at least around here) are often populated by elderly folks, and I would hate to think of some of my elderly relatives having to take an impromptu hike through the woods.  I realize that these kinds of things happen, but I know I would be pretty worried.

I second Chako's concerns about a small first aid kit being perhaps on the complete wrong scale for a train derailment, although I suppose having something would be better than having nothing.  I'm just not sure what kind of pocket first aid kit you could carry that could help in a train derailment type accident, as those kinds of injuries are usually a bit beyond a band aid and some Polysporin.

A good set of mechanic's type work gloves would go a long way to helping in just about any situation though- I am a big fan of them, and I use mine for everything.  Plus they are inexpensive (usually between $5-15 depending on what store/type of gloves) and take up virtually no space.

Again, I am glad that you guys, and everyone else on the train are ok.  It's amazing how much crap can happen, whether you are prepared or not.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: August 07, 2017, 02:38:57 AM
Thanks goodness you all are OK :o That could have been serious and I am happy it wasn't :salute: One can never be prepared enough for some things in life and it is good you at least had what you did :tu: If taking a backpack I also try and carry a lighter and FAK but of course that may or may not have been needed (thankfully not ;) ) Stay safe buddy :cheers:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #26 on: August 07, 2017, 04:02:49 AM
At least all the thread derailments around here may have somewhat prepared you for this situation.  :pommel:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #27 on: August 07, 2017, 04:47:02 AM
At least all the thread derailments around here may have somewhat prepared you for this situation.  :pommel:

:rofl:

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #28 on: August 07, 2017, 07:49:12 AM

Not yet. The carriage was over 100 years old, so it might have been a mechanical failure. Or maybe problems with the track wich is from the 1870s.
There will be an incident investigation by the authorithies though.

Good to see everyone is ok out there.  Yeah, it is unnerving especially when you're with family.

Wow, that's an interesting railroad you have there.  The local rails here are about a quarter of that age and they break down almost every week!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:50:38 AM by Zephon »

hr Offline styx

Reply #29 on: August 07, 2017, 08:41:26 AM
I'll second Def with the gloves. Just make sure they fit properly or you won't wear 'em and then you'll have to wait for 3 hours in the ER to get a few stitches and a tetanus shot.

Again on the topic of fire, if recent events are any indication of how messed up it can get, do think about the fact that you might have to start a fire with just your off hand. All of a sudden those one hand firesteels don't look so silly any more

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%