Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fire starting methods

styx · 75 · 2343

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Fire starting methods
on: August 07, 2017, 08:54:22 AM
Gaute's recent train flippy floppy experience (wouldn't be joking if someone got injured) and this finger injury have got me thinking (a dangerous pastime, I know) about fire starting methods.

What are your favorite ones? Which would you like to learn, master or just get better at? How much time do you spend practicing them?

And here is a little challenge to spice things up - start a fire with your off hand. Old challenge, easily done with a lighter but what about other methods
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Re: Fire starting methods
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 10:34:03 AM
Ferro rod.

I start 99% of fires with a ferro rod, teaches you to start small, always.

Impresses the peasantry & ladies to no end, and can be humbling and/or infuriating at times......  :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 12:06:32 PM
Gotta love the BlastMatch :dd: Not only is it a ferro rod but can be used off handed and 1 handed :cheers: :like: :like:

I have never made fire with friction but would love to and maybe someday will get the time to practice this :salute: :tu:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 01:41:09 PM
Bic lighter and some tinder. If it's damp or raining a strip of bike inner tube is great for fire lighting with a lighter.

Ferro rod and tinder - I like using this method and gives practice making feather sticks. Cotton balls with vaseline on them are good if you can't be bothered with feather sticks.

Alcohol stove fuel & either lighter or ferro rod - great as a propellant, but doesn't last long.

Char cloth - I just learned how to make this successfully and have used it to start a couple of fires but it's a lot of work when a ferro rod will do it easier. Finding the materials to make a good dry nest can be hard to.

Ferro rod or lighter is easiest imo.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 01:44:10 PM by Kevin Davey »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 02:41:53 PM
Flint and steel is my preferred method and most used. I rarely use char cloth. Mainly I use charred punk wood. I always have enough material to make one birds nest to start a fire in wet conditions. Then I use the fire to dry out the wet tinder that I collected. Ferro rod is my second most used. And when possible I use a birds nest with the ferro rod.

Friction fire is one I would like to get better at. But I don't really care for the method. Just would like to master it.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 02:44:21 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 02:58:14 PM
I tried friction firelighting once, and it wasn't fun. I decided that I would learn that particular skill the hard way should I ever need it.  ::)

Personally I tend to use a butane lighter, often with accelerant. I have proven to myself that I can light fires other ways should I need to (ferro rod, battery shorting, chemically, solar, natural flint, charcloth), but why make life harder for myself? When I have a dump, I don't wipe my arse with a clump of nettles, I use soft toilet tissue. Why should I make firelighting more difficult than it needs to be? Just because I can, doesn't mean I should  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 03:22:12 PM
Since they haven't been mentioned:

Fire piston. Reusable indefinitely.
Steel wool with 9v battery. Will light up even when soaking wet.

Both usable with one hand.

Edit: Chemical mix methods are also usable with one hand, but most seems to be of the less practical or downright dangerous kind.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:23:50 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

england Offline Kev D

Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 04:11:28 PM
I tried friction firelighting once, and it wasn't fun. I decided that I would learn that particular skill the hard way should I ever need it.  ::)

Personally I tend to use a butane lighter, often with accelerant. I have proven to myself that I can light fires other ways should I need to (ferro rod, battery shorting, chemically, solar, natural flint, charcloth), but why make life harder for myself? When I have a dump, I don't wipe my arse with a clump of nettles, I use soft toilet tissue. Why should I make firelighting more difficult than it needs to be? Just because I can, doesn't mean I should  :D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 04:30:54 PM
How did I miss that? I think I see a possible theme for a new thread!  :rofl: :D
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 05:03:28 PM
Can't argue with the t-paper theory  :salute:

:rofl:

Personally I tend to use a butane lighter, often with accelerant.

Without accelerant the rules for a lighter and ferro rod are about the same.

hr Offline styx

Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 06:00:47 PM
Gotta love the BlastMatch :dd: Not only is it a ferro rod but can be used off handed and 1 handed :cheers: :like: :like:

I have never made fire with friction but would love to and maybe someday will get the time to practice this :salute: :tu:

Reading reviews on the Blastmatch and lately they have been everything but stellar. Odd if you ask me

Now a fire piston is a great ida. Not sure how valid it is with one hand as I barely managed to open a 32oz Nalgene today because of the limited use of my right hand, but it would make for something fairly foolproof once the fool (me) learns how to use it

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 07:07:08 PM

Reading reviews on the Blastmatch and lately they have been everything but stellar. Odd if you ask me

Now a fire piston is a great ida. Not sure how valid it is with one hand as I barely managed to open a 32oz Nalgene today because of the limited use of my right hand, but it would make for something fairly foolproof once the fool (me) learns how to use it

I practice all the different methods, the fire piston is the one that's given me the most trouble! Single handed? not a chance  :rofl:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 07:34:13 PM
I practice all the different methods, the fire piston is the one that's given me the most trouble! Single handed? not a chance  :rofl:

You can't smash the fire piston one handed? Examples of people with a chance:

https://youtu.be/WPJRB45AEO8?t=378
https://youtu.be/roNYhgH-b9Y?t=961
https://youtu.be/D5GXIZcVOPk?t=316

The fiddly bits before and after are certainly easier with two hands though.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 07:47:32 PM

You can't smash the fire piston one handed? Examples of people with a chance:

https://youtu.be/WPJRB45AEO8?t=378
https://youtu.be/roNYhgH-b9Y?t=961
https://youtu.be/D5GXIZcVOPk?t=316

The fiddly bits before and after are certainly easier with two hands though.

I've done it, it's just not the best method for me is all :salute:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

hr Offline styx

Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 07:49:04 PM
Wait why am I disregarding 2 limbs that are perfectly fine at the moment (sure bumps and bruises in the past but they are functional). If you could hold on to the piston with your legs and pull the rod with your hand it could work

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 07:51:22 PM
Wait why am I disregarding 2 limbs that are perfectly fine at the moment (sure bumps and bruises in the past but they are functional). If you could hold on to the piston with your legs and pull the rod with your hand it could work

Between your feet may be easier  :think:

hr Offline styx

Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 10:34:05 PM

that's my line of thought too

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 10:39:20 PM

that's my line of thought too

These work one handed http://www.ustbrands.com/product/sparkie-fire-starter/

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 01:00:55 AM
Ferrocerium. In a lighter. Sometimes you need a flame, not a spark and you can use them one handed.

They have issues. WHen it's really cold, strike anywhere matches.

And a ferro rod, always, just in case. I have a Sparkie (the little brother of the Blast Match) in my car kit and the ultra water proof kit I built for a PFD pocket, but generally I use a rod.

And when in doubt, while certain people won't let me play with thermite, I can get highway flares at walmart.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 05:32:42 AM
Torch lighter for me. I got into them when I starting smoking cigars and have a couple of nice, elegant ones but found these on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IN7CFBY/ref=twister_B00IN7CF5K?_encoding=UTF8&th=1, for around 70 cents a piece. You could probably ignite a wet 2 x 4 with these. The flame can be aimed in all directions and works when it's windy. It's like the multitool of lighters :tu:

hr Offline styx

Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 08:16:35 AM
Nice ideas. Just one little thing - do not experiment with fresnel lenses when you're unsure if you can put out the fire  :facepalm: don't ask how I learned that lesson

england Offline Kev D

Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 12:30:39 PM
Nice ideas. Just one little thing - do not experiment with fresnel lenses when you're unsure if you can put out the fire  :facepalm: don't ask how I learned that lesson

Ok now you've said that, come on tell us  :pok:

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 08, 2017, 01:46:14 PM
Torch lighter for me. I got into them when I starting smoking cigars and have a couple of nice, elegant ones but found these on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IN7CFBY/ref=twister_B00IN7CF5K?_encoding=UTF8&th=1, for around 70 cents a piece. You could probably ignite a wet 2 x 4 with these. The flame can be aimed in all directions and works when it's windy. It's like the multitool of lighters :tu:

Do they work well? I have tried supposedly more expensive versions but they have usually stopped working in just a few weeks.

hr Offline styx

Reply #23 on: August 08, 2017, 03:20:42 PM

I was experimenting with a fresnel lens and several tinders. Wood scrapings, silver birch bark that was also scraped, some sort of fat impregnated paper and jute twine. Birch bark and wood scrapings worked quite well so I moved on to that paper. But to be efficient I've already made a bird nest from the twine and put it halfway under my shoe so it doesn't fly away in the wind. Someone asked me a question and brilliantly I moved the lens so that the paper doesn't catch fire while I'm not looking. Only issue was that the jute did catch fire and so did my shoe  :facepal:  :twak:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #24 on: August 08, 2017, 04:18:01 PM

I was experimenting with a fresnel lens and several tinders. Wood scrapings, silver birch bark that was also scraped, some sort of fat impregnated paper and jute twine. Birch bark and wood scrapings worked quite well so I moved on to that paper. But to be efficient I've already made a bird nest from the twine and put it halfway under my shoe so it doesn't fly away in the wind. Someone asked me a question and brilliantly I moved the lens so that the paper doesn't catch fire while I'm not looking. Only issue was that the jute did catch fire and so did my shoe  :facepalm:  :twak:

Did you get to do the hot shoe shuffle to extinguish it

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: August 08, 2017, 05:21:22 PM
Do they work well? I have tried supposedly more expensive versions but they have usually stopped working in just a few weeks.

They're not super high quality and out of a batch of 10 you may get one where the piezo igniter fails within 10 or 20 clicks but most seem to last at least 2 months and many thousands of clicks. The one on my desk that gets used many times a day is going on its third month with probably around 10 refills. Not bad for $.70.

The trick to refilling them is to put them in the freezer for an hour before filling. Also they seem to be filled at the factory using butane under much higher pressure than what you get in a can which means it is impossible to top up. Just wait until the factory butane is done before trying to refill.

The flame is usually excellent, strong and nicely focused. Occasionally they are set too low at the factory but I've been able to take off the metal shroud and increase the flame height by adjusting the flame adjuster.

I have a Xikar and a Blazer torch lighter that cost around $20 - $30 that have lasted for years now. But I still prefer these cheapies since they are slimmer and weigh much less.

hr Offline styx

Reply #26 on: August 08, 2017, 06:36:24 PM

I was experimenting with a fresnel lens and several tinders. Wood scrapings, silver birch bark that was also scraped, some sort of fat impregnated paper and jute twine. Birch bark and wood scrapings worked quite well so I moved on to that paper. But to be efficient I've already made a bird nest from the twine and put it halfway under my shoe so it doesn't fly away in the wind. Someone asked me a question and brilliantly I moved the lens so that the paper doesn't catch fire while I'm not looking. Only issue was that the jute did catch fire and so did my shoe  :facepalm:  :twak:

Did you get to do the hot shoe shuffle to extinguish it

Yep. That was the point I realized that smart dumbasses really do exist

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 08, 2017, 08:43:09 PM

They're not super high quality and out of a batch of 10 you may get one where the piezo igniter fails within 10 or 20 clicks but most seem to last at least 2 months and many thousands of clicks. The one on my desk that gets used many times a day is going on its third month with probably around 10 refills. Not bad for $.70.

The trick to refilling them is to put them in the freezer for an hour before filling. Also they seem to be filled at the factory using butane under much higher pressure than what you get in a can which means it is impossible to top up. Just wait until the factory butane is done before trying to refill.

The flame is usually excellent, strong and nicely focused. Occasionally they are set too low at the factory but I've been able to take off the metal shroud and increase the flame height by adjusting the flame adjuster.

I have a Xikar and a Blazer torch lighter that cost around $20 - $30 that have lasted for years now. But I still prefer these cheapies since they are slimmer and weigh much less.

Nice, thanks!

hr Offline styx

Reply #28 on: August 10, 2017, 09:46:21 AM
Well this is my backup kit. Excuse the filter, couldn't get a decent enough shot so took that shortcut.

2017-08-10_09-23-53

The logic is simple - it is all for the "I'm dumb and can't get things going by normal means". Magbar, fatwood scrapings, fat paper all help with marginal materials. And while there are people who would go on 4 page long rants about how that is cheating and letting people use marginal materials, I'm one of the guys who'd put gasoline on fatwood shavings and magnesium scrapings just to make sure my behind has a fire. I've spent a few days and nights too many cold and wet to be bothered by the crudeness of my means.
Plus I'm really not going to fall a tree and process it just to make beans and coffee if the easy to get fuel needs a bit of a kick start.

What is glaringly missing is the bicycle inner tube that was usually there. Vaseline cottonballs are nice but I'd rather put them with the ferro rod that is usually used.

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 12:21:06 PM

What is glaringly missing is the bicycle inner tube that was usually there. Vaseline cottonballs are nice but I'd rather put them with the ferro rod that is usually used.

And a full-size ferro rod IMHO.  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD