Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fire starting methods

styx · 75 · 2340

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Re: Fire starting methods
Reply #30 on: August 10, 2017, 12:46:06 PM
And here is a little challenge to spice things up - start a fire with your off hand. Old challenge, easily done with a lighter but what about other methods

Missed that.......my answer stays the same  :salute:

Fire piston. Reusable indefinitely.

True......if you have tinder and you don't bend or break it while trying.

I was obsessed with adding every possible weapon to the fire-making arsenal, and you mentioned 2 that I've abandoned completely..........

I was nervous the entire time I had Potassium permanganate and Glycerin in my kit, kept imagining a perished container  and arriving at a burnt out house.......or a backpack catching fire thanks to a leak  :ahhh

Love the concept of a fire piston, but I didn't manage to build or buy one that convinced me, and they are bloody fiddly!

The trick to refilling them is to put them in the freezer for an hour before filling. Also they seem to be filled at the factory using butane under much higher pressure than what you get in a can which means it is impossible to top up. Just wait until the factory butane is done before trying to refill.

Just a theory, but it seems to me you end up with some propellant from the refill in the lighter, I've had good results with emptying the lighter completely before a refill. 

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: August 10, 2017, 02:31:49 PM

What is glaringly missing is the bicycle inner tube that was usually there. Vaseline cottonballs are nice but I'd rather put them with the ferro rod that is usually used.

And a full-size ferro rod IMHO.  :salute:

That's in the atuff I normally use pocket. The magbar has one on it, although small. When that ferro rod gets used up, I'll break off the remains and put a larger ferro rod in the tin
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: August 11, 2017, 01:21:40 PM
I'll break off the remains and put a larger ferro rod in the tin

Why didn't I think of that.......  :tu:

hr Offline styx

Reply #33 on: August 11, 2017, 03:45:24 PM
I'll break off the remains and put a larger ferro rod in the tin

Why didn't I think of that.......  :tu:

No idea. I wonder if I could use the broken off pieces as an accelerant or mix it with other tinder like the fatwood scrapings. Might give it some extra umph

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: August 11, 2017, 04:08:51 PM
Big fan of Jute Twine.  Making it water resistant adds a layer of piece of mind.  I also like Magnesium as well.  That stuff is wicked but marginal tinder can still present issues.  I don't think you can go wrong with ferro rod.     

https://youtu.be/ZsI6H0zx0BA
Esse Quam Videri

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: August 11, 2017, 04:12:57 PM
Big fan of Jute Twine.  Making it water resistant adds a layer of piece of mind.  I also like Magnesium as well.  That stuff is wicked but marginal tinder can still present issues.  I don't think you can go wrong with ferro rod.     

https://youtu.be/ZsI6H0zx0BA

I wax my own jute, got a bunch of it in my hiking bag together with slivers of fatwood. Together they're really nice and easy to use. Never could get magnesium to work well, the shavings blow away in the slightest breeze.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

ca Offline JP

Reply #36 on: August 11, 2017, 04:15:02 PM
Fireworks and old fuel

:drool:

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: August 11, 2017, 04:21:51 PM
Fireworks and old fuel

:drool:

Probably one of the stupidest things I've ever done was shoot fireworks off a "boat" that we were using to transport 600L of Diesel and 800L of Petrol.

It was a 4 hour ride back to the lodge......the day before xmas, we were young and bored.

Would've been interesting having to choose between a Viking funeral or swimming with the crocs & hippos.....  :whistle:

:rofl:

ca Offline JP

Reply #38 on: August 11, 2017, 05:33:46 PM
Yes, we exercise more caution. Safety first.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

hr Offline styx

Reply #39 on: August 11, 2017, 05:48:07 PM
now that is what I call a "hold my beer and watch this" moment.

Ok so I've got to locate the rest of my ferro rods and put an extra one in that tin...

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #40 on: August 11, 2017, 07:26:42 PM
I use a ferro rod all the time and recently got introduced to char cloth but my all time favorite is using my SAK mag glass to light up.  The conditions must be just right but it sure is fun!
My wife makes kits with dryer lint and wax dipped pine cones. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 07:29:10 PM by Barry Rowland »
Barry

hr Offline styx

Reply #41 on: August 11, 2017, 08:06:55 PM
I use a ferro rod all the time and recently got introduced to char cloth but my all time favorite is using my SAK mag glass to light up.  The conditions must be just right but it sure is fun!
My wife makes kits with dryer lint and wax dipped pine cones. 

Wax dipped pine cones sound great

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #42 on: August 11, 2017, 08:44:11 PM
They work really well!  The local boy scouts love them.
Barry

hr Offline styx

Reply #43 on: August 11, 2017, 10:17:47 PM
I just hope they won't go a bit overboard. With all the recent fires that have been ravaging around the world, it should be noted that we need to be careful with fire

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #44 on: August 12, 2017, 12:22:05 AM
I agree, it's been bad lately.
Barry

hr Offline styx

Reply #45 on: August 12, 2017, 09:06:14 AM
I agree, it's been bad lately.

Canada and US have had their misfortunes every summer, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece and Croatia are pretty much a given in to have wildfires that are out of control every year (Portugal is hit really bad currently). Not sure about other parts of the world, but I'm quite certain that it is no different.

Oddly enough I haven't found local laws about camping and fires during the high risk season. What do y'all use during that period? Abstain from fire in general, alcohol stoves, gas stoves....?

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #46 on: August 12, 2017, 01:18:47 PM
It varies from state to state, but here there are no burn ordinances and even prohibition against off road vehicles when the fire risk is high.  The last couple of years we've been blessed with some decent rainfall so it hasn't been as bad, but a few years ago we had a terrible time with wildfire.  California seems to be the worst state for them because it is dry more often than not.
Barry

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: August 12, 2017, 07:44:30 PM
Forest fires are pretty common here too and they can be really bad. Last year's big one was terrorism based which adds a new evil to the usual cause of stupidity. :(
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #48 on: August 12, 2017, 08:07:03 PM
I agree my friend....sad indeed.
Barry

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: August 14, 2017, 06:26:09 AM
Well this is my backup kit. Excuse the filter, couldn't get a decent enough shot so took that shortcut.

2017-08-10_09-23-53

The logic is simple - it is all for the "I'm dumb and can't get things going by normal means". Magbar, fatwood scrapings, fat paper all help with marginal materials. And while there are people who would go on 4 page long rants about how that is cheating and letting people use marginal materials, I'm one of the guys who'd put gasoline on fatwood shavings and magnesium scrapings just to make sure my behind has a fire. I've spent a few days and nights too many cold and wet to be bothered by the crudeness of my means.
Plus I'm really not going to fall a tree and process it just to make beans and coffee if the easy to get fuel needs a bit of a kick start.

What is glaringly missing is the bicycle inner tube that was usually there. Vaseline cottonballs are nice but I'd rather put them with the ferro rod that is usually used.

A few years ago, a group of 12 walkers headed in for a day walk to a waterfall. Heavy rains fell and washed out the river crossing they had used to access, and with the force of water coming down the narrow river, While appropriately dressed and had enough food and water, they flipped the EPIRB as they weren't prepared for an overnighter. They did however have hand sanitizer, bicycle tubes and other fire lighting materials, were able to start a fire in the rain, and got winched out by the rescue helicopter 18hrs later. That is still better prepared than most would be for a day walk

hr Offline styx

Reply #50 on: August 14, 2017, 11:41:01 AM
Great to hear someone was ready and had the sense to use what they had.

My entire fire starting obsession has a few stories, but the most important one comes from high school.
We had a separate gym that was privately owned and the city has a contract that 2 near by high schools can use the changing rooms and courts. My school had open track and courts but can't use those in the winter.
When I was 16 the winter was really rough. The temperatures were about -20°C/-4°F, good amount of snow and that gym was the only structure in pretty much an open field so the wind was not friendly. Since our first class started at 7:30 in the morning we were always supposed to come 15 minutes earlier for P.E. to get changed. So in that weather, a few minutes after 7 about 30 of us showed up (the entire class was 34). And the gym owner came out, started degrading us and wouldn't let us go inside so we can get to the changing rooms because we'd make the hallway wet (ironically the bar he ran inside was already open and full of local boozers). So me being a smartass and class president got everyone to gather up anything dry we could find and we made fire (with a lighter) so we can stay warm for the next 30 minutes 'till the professor comes and has yet another shouting match with the owner.
But the owner came out again, said that we were going to burn down his gym and called the headmistress. That was a very fun talk I needed to have with her. I didn't get in trouble and she told me how to make makeshift accelerant. That's the day I swore that I will not freeze my behind off because of some dumb smurf.

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: August 14, 2017, 12:37:39 PM
 :tu:
I believe the coldest I've experienced is -10C .........inside a freezer!
 :rofl:

I've had an unhealthy relationship with fire since a very young age  :facepalm: just lucky so far.....

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: August 14, 2017, 12:50:09 PM
Just thought of something I don't believe has been mentioned........a piece of pipe with a tapered end to blow on the fire.

More often than not a lack of air is the problem, bonus if you can solve that problem without a face full of smoke......

I've see telescoping types that pack very small, but I think they're a it flimsy.......I still want to make one that's just the right length.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #53 on: August 14, 2017, 01:44:58 PM
An airbed pump works really well for it. It soon got a bbq going at the weekend

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #54 on: August 14, 2017, 01:52:24 PM
I found that Tony's old pants work as excellent fire lighters.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

hr Offline styx

Reply #55 on: August 14, 2017, 01:54:14 PM

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #56 on: August 14, 2017, 03:18:23 PM
Nice!!  :tu: :tu:
Barry

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: August 14, 2017, 03:24:54 PM
Fire blower.....yes, one of those.

Believe it or not, the old file I used for my very first knife made from scratch was annealed in a BBQ fire being helped on with improvised fire blower pipes by my cousin and myself.....

Almost passed out a few times but it worked!  :rofl:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #58 on: August 14, 2017, 04:18:59 PM
 :like: :like: Way to go Gerhard!!
Barry

hr Offline styx

Reply #59 on: August 14, 2017, 04:45:25 PM
That reminds me of something...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cht4qVk-DSo

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%