Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox US Customer Service - Spirit (non) Repair

us Offline aluminated

on: August 08, 2017, 03:27:44 AM
I sent a new-to-me Spirit to the repair facility on or about July 6 in Connecticut with a note explaining the two problems.
It had a loose pliers pivot causing slight misalignment of the jaws and one of the handles folded much too easily.
I received it back today with my own packing list and note. The major change to its condition was that it was placed in a plastic bag in its pouch. It still has a loose pliers pivot causing slight misalignment of the jaws and one of the handles still folds much too easily. Perhaps the action of the unit falls within what they consider normal parameters. I don't think I'm overly picky, just a bit particular, and the action certainly isn't up to the vaunted Swiss standards. I might as well be using my "Mustang" Leatherman Wave rather than my "Carrera" Victorinox Spirit. If I'm not getting a precision tool, then there's a whole less reason to own this item. Color me disappointed.
I also find it strange that there is no easy way to check the status of the repair.
I keep reading about the quality of the Victorinox Swisstool Spirit and the legendary customer service of the Swiss company. While I nevertheless like the tool, I must say that I am also very disappointed. The only other MT I felt more let down by is a Swisstool I also bought used, and that feeling was due to the fingernail-obliterating force required to open its tools.
It's enough to make a Swiss Army Knight feel like Swiss Army Knaught.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Re: Victorinox US Customer Service - Spirit (non) Repair
Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 05:27:02 AM
Have you tried contacting them to express your displeasure?
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline aluminated

Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 05:57:49 AM
I plan to do so, but since the tool was just returned this afternoon, I haven't yet taken that action.
I don't think they thought it was bad enough to fix.
Honestly, if the Swisstools and Spirit I bought had been my only experience with Vic, I might not ever buy another of their products. They are 1-for-3, though the Swisstool I kept is next to perfect. That's how I know this Spirit is not the best example of the type. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if it hadn't been gone from my possession for four weeks. Again, don't get me wrong: it is a very nice tool and seems to be very useful and comfortable. But I don't expect "just barely good enough" from Victorinox and I don't think I should have to accept it.

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 03:27:38 PM
I had a similar experience a few years ago. The service and lack of follow up response was disappointing. I did contact them afterwards to ask why nothing was done about my Spirit, but I never got a response.

I haven't bought a Swisstool since. But SAKs are and always have been trouble free for me.
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

us Offline aluminated

Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 06:47:42 PM
You have succinctly described my experience.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 07:13:59 PM
So ... they failed to fix your tool ... which wasn't broken ... and which you had bought in a used condition ...

Sorry, I really don't understand the complaint here.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 08:34:29 PM
So ... they failed to fix your tool ... which wasn't broken ... and which you had bought in a used condition ...

:imws:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline aluminated

Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 12:46:37 AM

Perhaps I misunderstand the warranty on Victorinox. Is is only valid for the original purchaser?
The pliers wiggle more than any other Leatherman or Victorinox I've handled. I guess maybe that doesn't make them broken.
YTM - you're quite obviously the expert.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 01:51:36 AM
I never professed to be an expert, but with every other product that you buy second hand, it's only as good as it's previous owner, and it doesn't sound out of the way for a used tool to be in used condition.

I personally wouldn't expect to buy something used and then have the manufacturer make it as new for me. Nobody would ever buy a new tool again, or a new anything for that matter. It's a shame really, as I really wish I could have done that with some of the £500 cars I've bought over the years  :D

There's good news though. There's an easy way of way of tightening a plier pivot up. SteveC did a very good thread on it which resurfaced recently  :tu: If it's the handle pivot that's slackened slightly, you might be able to fix that up the same way  :cheers:

us Offline aluminated

Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 03:42:00 AM
You rather pointedly ignored the posed question and assumed a lot about the condition of the tool. You're right - an expert might have asked.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 04:34:40 PM
 :think: I just worked off the info you gave, and it seems I wasn't that far wrong, as the experts you sent it to, seem to have taken a similar stance. :shrug:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 04:57:23 PM
Is this the thread you mentioned, Al?
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=49762.0

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 05:04:22 PM
Is this the thread you mentioned, Al?
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=49762.0
Need to try that on the pliers in a beat-up Swisschamp I have for parts.
The pliers are missaligned, this might fix that :think:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 05:48:35 PM
That wasn't the one I was thinking of. It was one that SteveC did  :salute:

us Offline sticktodrum

Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 06:15:34 PM
You rather pointedly ignored the posed question and assumed a lot about the condition of the tool. You're right - an expert might have asked.
:think: I just worked off the info you gave, and it seems I wasn't that far wrong, as the experts you sent it to, seem to have taken a similar stance. :shrug:
Now y'all are just being cheeky with each other. 

Personally, I've gotten used to LM's philosophy of the warranty following the tool, not the original owner. And it's not to say the tool should be made new, but made to proper working order.

The Spirit I had wouldn't cut any wire due to the pliers looseness. I tried all types, and it just bent and crushed them. Wouldn't cut a paperclip.

They did nothing to it, it arrived unable to cut wire after three months.

If that's what expertise looks like, then I'll continue to refrain from buying Swisstools.
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 06:32:45 PM
Do they do repairs in the US?  Has anyone had a swisstool repaired?  I was under the impression they dont have the facilities for that.  So Im guessing they would look at the tool and decide if it should be replaced under warranty?  I have no idea if the warranty goes with the tool or not, as Ive never sent any tool for warranty work.  But that could be the issue if you told them you bought it used, or did they even have that information?

I can understand the feeling you'd have though getting it back with no information as to why they left it untouched.  Id expect a note at least saying looks good to us or something.  :think:

Luckily both your issues you should be able to fix yourself with a small peening hammer.  Tightening pivots/rivets is easy, loosening them is not.  :D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 06:34:53 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 06:40:52 PM
Now y'all are just being cheeky with each other. 

Personally, I've gotten used to LM's philosophy of the warranty following the tool, not the original owner. And it's not to say the tool should be made new, but made to proper working order.

The Spirit I had wouldn't cut any wire due to the pliers looseness. I tried all types, and it just bent and crushed them. Wouldn't cut a paperclip.

They did nothing to it, it arrived unable to cut wire after three months.

If that's what expertise looks like, then I'll continue to refrain from buying Swisstools.

The spirit is known for not being great with stranded wire anyway - even brand new. It's just not one of the things the tool excels with, so sending it back isn't going to fix it. I've had similar issues with the SOG Phillips drivers, and with the indexable LM cutters impeding the main gripping area. Sometimes there's nothing the company can do to improve it, short of redesigning the tool. That's where the collective knowledge of this forum is invaluable, sometimes a tool isn't behaving as it should, and sometimes it's just because the design is lacking.

us Offline sticktodrum

Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 06:56:05 PM
I know it doesn't do stranded wire. My Charge doesn't handle it well either. I'm talking no wire. Thick single copper wire, paper clips, nothing. The pliers would split and bent over the wire.

I learned that sending it back wouldn't fix it, so I fixed it by just selling it for half price to someone who didn't care about wire cutting.

This doesn't excuse that they not only did nothing, but didn't even send a note or any explanation that they couldn't fix it, that it was part of the design, etc. They also never responded to my email or return the phone call I placed.

This was my situation, though. I just figured I'd add it as it resembled what the OP described.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 06:57:25 PM by sticktodrum »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 08:40:29 PM
I've never had any pliers that bad. :o I wonder if the wear works differently for left and right handed users (with the plier head being reversed compared to normal)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 11:38:35 PM
I've never had any pliers that bad. :o I wonder if the wear works differently for left and right handed users (with the plier head being reversed compared to normal)
Turning a bolt is always the same direction, both right and left handed :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 11:42:06 PM
but cutting wire might be different  ;)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 11:50:34 PM
but cutting wire might be different  ;)
Maybe I'm missing something here?
Or we're not on the same page.

Because I doubt that's the case.
Do you always keep the same handle up when cutting a wire? It's just how you end up holding the tool.

Not that I have an explanation myself for what caused it though. :shrug:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 11:52:50 PM
Imagine how different using scissors is for left and right handed people  :pok: As the Spirit is a scissor action, one person might be pushing the cutting faces together when they use them, but someone else might be pushing them apart.

Just a theory. Might not be relevant

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: August 09, 2017, 11:53:53 PM
Imagine how different using scissors is for left and right handed people  :pok: As the Spirit is a scissor action, one person might be pushing the cutting faces together when they use them, but someone else might be pushing them apart.

Just a theory. Might not be relevant
Now I'm on your page :D :tu:

us Offline sticktodrum

Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 02:43:25 PM
How'd you know I was left handed? O.o

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #25 on: August 10, 2017, 03:03:55 PM
I don't think you're being too picky by any means. If you are unhappy with your newly purchased multitool then they should either fix it or send you a brand new one.

Otherwise, do not advertise the warranty...
SAW

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: August 10, 2017, 03:08:40 PM
How'd you know I was left handed? O.o
Because left handed people might loosen the pivots just because of the way they hold the tool. :ahhh

All hail the hook!

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #27 on: August 10, 2017, 03:54:02 PM
I don't think you're being too picky by any means. If you are unhappy with your newly purchased multitool then they should either fix it or send you a brand new one.

I do agree the warranty should cover any defects, but in this case the tool was purchased used, so wear from use is a factor. I wouldn't personally feel entitled to a new tool, but it's still disappointing that they didn't tighten up the pivot at least. There may be a reason they didn't, but the lack of communication leaves that unclear. I think that's the biggest issue here, actually. They should have at the very least included a note or sent an email explaining why nothing was apparently done.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #28 on: August 10, 2017, 04:20:22 PM

I do agree the warranty should cover any defects, but in this case the tool was purchased used, so wear from use is a factor. I wouldn't personally feel entitled to a new tool, but it's still disappointing that they didn't tighten up the pivot at least. There may be a reason they didn't, but the lack of communication leaves that unclear. I think that's the biggest issue here, actually. They should have at the very least included a note or sent an email explaining why nothing was apparently done.

Yup totally agree their fail was in communication.  Otherwise its the same effect as just getting your package returned unopened.  Im still curious though if anyone here as ever had a swisstool or SAK for that matter actually repaired in the US.  I was under the impression they dont repair anything only replace and repairs are done in Switzerland.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 04:21:36 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26