Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK or Wenger?

us Offline Zhenchok

SAK or Wenger?
on: August 08, 2017, 05:06:22 PM
I know that both have subtle differences, but in all honesty, they both look almost identical.  From personal experience which do you prefer? and what kinds of experience have you had with one vs. the other?

To me the Wenger almost looks like a copy of the Victorinox, I know that they are both owned by Victorinox now.  I don't personally have experience with a Wenger, and given the choice I go with Victorinox just based on looks.  Am I wrong to think this way?
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
SAK or Wenger?
Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 05:19:11 PM
Both brands are good... just need to try it for yourself really...

Personally, I prefer Vic for its scissors...

Btw, Wenger is also a SAK since they also supplied to the Swiss Armee before being bought by Vic...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline NetsNJ

Re: SAK or Wenger?
Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 05:42:44 PM
Wengers are SAKs in every way.  Their trademark was "the genuine swiss army knife".

Both brands have pros and cons, in my opinion.  Not worth rehashing.  I will switch back and forth in what I pocket carry depending on my mood.  My go-tos are a Wenger Swiss Sportsman or a Victorinox Sportsman (coincidence that they have the same name!).

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 06:59:30 PM
As others have said, Wengers are SAKs too.
MacGyver used them occasionally.  :)
Both are good, it depends on what you prefer.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 07:12:33 PM
My biggest "fault" with a Wenger is that on many, the can opener is JUST that, not a combo tool.

That being said, my absolute favorite SAK is my Wenger SI. I carry it every day, everywhere!

I prefer the Wenger SI over the Victorinox Pioneer because I LOVE the bail on the SI!!!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 07:24:19 PM
I prefer the blades on Wengers, I'm partial to Vic's scissors, I like the Wenger pliers better, and their locks and locking Phillips are much superior IMO, but Victorinox has the edge on the combo tool, in-line awl and magnifying glass to me.
I also like the looks of Wengers much more

both win in so many things, can't decide!!!!  :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 07:41:18 PM
My biggest "fault" with a Wenger is that on many, the can opener is JUST that, not a combo tool.

Nah, it's a can opener, package opener, scribe, and awl if the punch on the backspring isn't up to the job. That's without getting imaginitive.

I prefer Victorinox scissors, their plus scales, the Cybertool layer, the sharpened awl (though it's nice to have a unsharpened general purpose pokey thing on a knife sometimes too). However, I bought more versions of the Wenger Traveler than any other knife. I also prefer the Pocket Tool Chest (Evo88) to the Minichamp. There's room in my array for both manufacturers, and it's a SwissBuck Sidekick that's in my pocket today (Traveller variant)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 01:00:04 AM

That being said, my absolute favorite SAK is my Wenger SI. I carry it every day, everywhere!

I prefer the Wenger SI over the Victorinox Pioneer because I LOVE the bail on the SI!!!

(Image removed from quote.)

I agree with that.  Not a big fan of the Wenger can opener.   I would also say as far as quality... generally speaking... Vic is 99/100  and Wenger is 98/100.    People will fight me on this but Vic's are generally heavier, and have slightly better snap.  That said, each individual knife is a slightly different with its tension. I have found that Wenger Soldiers consistently weigh 1-4g less than their Vic counterparts...  doesn't make them better or worse, just a fact.   

Wenger took a lot of chances and tried many ideas (so did Vic, perhaps to a lesser degree) so I respect them for that.    I like the 85mm length. The scissors are fine but I prefer Vic.  I like the Wenger keychain but it is a little impractical when using the flathead screwdriver.    :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 01:27:15 AM
I've got a Wenger Backpacker. I like the locking blade. The scissors seem ok. Just wish the main blade wasn't all serrated.

I also like the pressure locking bottle opener/screwdriver. Not sure who came up with that first.

All in all, I like the few Wengers I have (also have a Viking as well as the SI).

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 01:33:26 AM
YES

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 01:57:14 AM
For scissors, I prefer the Vic.  I somehow find them more precise. 

For the pliers, I go for Wenger.  For some reason I like the slight curve on the blade of the Wenger. 

I'm a fan of the 85mm Evolution series and I wish the local retailer would bring in more from that line -- it's like getting the best of both worlds (yeah, I'm frustrated that the S557 hasn't been seen here locally).

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 08:12:02 AM
Do Evolution series scales work for lefties (like me)?

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 08:23:12 AM
Wenger are SAKs.
Victorinox Delemont are the new Wengers.

Each company has its pros and cons.

Quality: Victorinox was much better quality (better celidor, better snap, better finish, consistent design). Delemont line fixed that. Vic wins

Sizes: I prefer 58, 91, 93 and 111 from Vic. They just fit better. Vic wins

Scales: Vic has better cellidor and more Alox Models. Wenger had the amazing Evogrip scales. Draw

Scale tools: Vics are miles better.. no nailbreakers. Vic wins

Knife: Wenger are fatter and feel sharper out of the box. Wenger wins

Scissors: Vic are more precise, easy to fix, cut better and straight. Wenger ones are serrated, self-sharpening and perfect for plastic and cloth and almost indestructible. Draw.

Can opener: Vic is multi, Wenger is a pokey tool. Draw.

Awl: Vic is miles better.

Cap lifter: Vic has no lock or liner lock on 111. Wenger has the push lock. Draw.

Pliers: Wenger are just better. Wenger wins.

Metal file: Victorinox file is amazing. Vic wins.

Range: Wenger wins by far. Business Tool, Kompass, Oboe, Wrench, linerlocks and many many more specifics (Being ungeneralized was a main reason for their downfall.

Tool selection: Wenger wins again. Just look how dumb and useless Minichamp selection is compared to the pocket tool chest.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 08:24:15 AM by Corwyn »
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 09:44:15 AM
How could such a thread get so far without mentioning the awesome 130mm Rangers?  Some made it into the Delemont series, many did not.
R

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake

Offline Sergio Costa Val

• New User
Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 11:16:03 PM
Wenger are SAKs.
Victorinox Delemont are the new Wengers.

Each company has its pros and cons.

Quality: Victorinox was much better quality (better celidor, better snap, better finish, consistent design). Delemont line fixed that. Vic wins

Sizes: I prefer 58, 91, 93 and 111 from Vic. They just fit better. Vic wins

Scales: Vic has better cellidor and more Alox Models. Wenger had the amazing Evogrip scales. Draw

Scale tools: Vics are miles better.. no nailbreakers. Vic wins

Knife: Wenger are fatter and feel sharper out of the box. Wenger wins

Scissors: Vic are more precise, easy to fix, cut better and straight. Wenger ones are serrated, self-sharpening and perfect for plastic and cloth and almost indestructible. Draw.

Can opener: Vic is multi, Wenger is a pokey tool. Draw.

Awl: Vic is miles better.

Cap lifter: Vic has no lock or liner lock on 111. Wenger has the push lock. Draw.

Pliers: Wenger are just better. Wenger wins.

Metal file: Victorinox file is amazing. Vic wins.

Range: Wenger wins by far. Business Tool, Kompass, Oboe, Wrench, linerlocks and many many more specifics (Being ungeneralized was a main reason for their downfall.

Tool selection: Wenger wins again. Just look how dumb and useless Minichamp selection is compared to the pocket tool chest.
Great comparisson. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69