Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Powerlock clone-ish multi tool from Baladeo

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
SOG Powerlock clone-ish multi tool from Baladeo
on: July 29, 2019, 06:54:15 PM
Saw this on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Baladeo-TEM014-Brushed-Steel-Handle-4-5-Adventure-22-Function-Multi-Tool/383072884818

It looks very SOG-ish. Or is that "SOGgy"? It has covers similar to the power lock, but obviously the plier heads are your standard cheapo chinese pliers. The locks for the tools look slick, and the full-sized bitdriver is a nice touch. The rest of the tools look decent, but I have never had use for an extra-large sewing awl.   Price is too high for a C&C though...

Charles.

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: SOG Powerlock clone-ish multi tool from Baladeo
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 04:12:32 AM
That tool with hole is a sewing awl? Why does it have a blunt/round tip?  :think:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 04:30:25 AM
Hey Charles,

It has a SOB-vibe with the handle doors indeed.

Oh, and if I am not mistaken, those are not your standard fare China pliers(note how deep the markings are cast in).  The pliers look similar to a tool I have called a "Sports Afield" and are some of the strongest pliers I have seen on an MT. I could be wrong though.  :ahhh
The rest of the Afield isn't the same, but if they are the same pliers, $36 isn't a bad price considering the locking tools, bit exchanger, corkscrew, and fancy leather sheath on the Baladeo. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 04:45:58 AM

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 07:26:25 PM
Amazon actually sells this same tool , same brand name, but with a completely different set of handles. It also has a nylon sheath instead of leather, but is only $30.00. The tools appear to be the same thing.

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 04:53:31 PM
No doors on that one though!

Still I’d love to know what you think of it after you’ve had time to play with it.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 09:27:10 PM
Here is an even more SOGgy tool, and at a better price as well.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223349286980

Charles.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 10:14:21 PM
Sigh.....so many multitools.....not enough time....or money....... :rofl:

Offline mikekoz

Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 10:27:19 PM
No doors on that one though!

Still I’d love to know what you think of it after you’ve had time to play with it.

Charles.

I own a few of the older SOG's and never really cared for the doors anyway!   :facepalm:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 03:34:04 AM
     I own a few of the older SOG's and never really cared for the doors anyway!   :facepalm:
Blasphemy! :pok: :D

Offline mikekoz

Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 02:29:08 PM
Blasphemy! :pok: :D

:D   Out of all of the big names in multitools, SOGS were always my least favorite. I own about 3 of their newer models as well, and I like the design better than say, the Powerlock, but they seem to be made less robust these days.   :dunno:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 03:20:55 PM
 :iagree:

The new ones would be amazing if they were built to the level of the 1990s/early 2000s SOGs. A shame they can't get their act together anymore. Disappointment after disappointment.  :facepalm:

Offline mikekoz

Reply #13 on: August 03, 2019, 11:16:03 PM
I got this in today, surprisingly about 4-6 days before the estimated time of next Tuesday to Thursday! Here are some pics:

Baladeo1" border="0
Baladeo2" border="0
Baladeo3" border="0
Baladeo4" border="0

The good?  It came quick and was not Amazon prime, the handles have a nice grippy feel to them, and the saw is sharp. The pliers are comfortable and the driver is a standard 1/4 type. The bad?  Unfortunately either I got a bad one, or this is just not a very well made tool. While opening and closing it, the pliers slipped past the metal stopper in the handle and I had to use another pair of pliers to pry it  back. Could have been partially my fault as I was trying to loosen the pivot and left a phillips bit in the holder. It still should not have done that. I have not been able to repeat it though. Secondly, in the bit socket there is a magnetic disk, and it came right out and it is still stuck to the bottom of my bit. I am going to put a bit of Gorilla glue on it later. Third, the hole punch is bent as you can see in the photo. Was going to attempt to straighten it but was afraid it might snap. The blade is not too sharp, and the smaller implements are very hard to open. The mechanism to unlock the tools is difficult to push in and as you can see in another photo, it looks like there is some stray rubber material on one end. Not sure if I should try to peel that off. I am going to send a note to Amazon to see what they say before I make any decision on this, but I am a tad bit disappointed!  :cry:

Offline mikekoz

Reply #14 on: August 05, 2019, 03:51:51 AM
That tool with hole is a sewing awl? Why does it have a blunt/round tip?  :think:

I just received this tool, but with different scales\handles. The awl actually has an edge on it like a small rounded knife.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%