Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A Swiss Army Knife saves a life

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: A Swiss Army Knife saves a life
Reply #30 on: August 25, 2019, 07:25:17 AM
Great job!  Always love reading this kind of story, and more importantly, you step up to the plate and help with the situation. :cheers: :tu:

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #31 on: August 25, 2019, 07:50:43 AM
Wow.

:like:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: August 25, 2019, 09:28:15 AM
Thanks guys!

I was out of connection again, but on the second last bus ride home now.
Should be able to follow up from now on :D

For those of you interested, Here are some pics from that hike.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #33 on: August 25, 2019, 09:44:45 AM
Good stuff Mechy. Great reflexes on catching your wife when she slipped, and on being prepared with gear for keeping the incapacitated woman comfortable. Hero stuff.

On another note, I saw in the news that holiday deaths are on the rise. People want to brag with adventure photos on social media, rather then plain beach or pool pictures. They are taking on activities they never do t home, aren't fit or trained for, or are ill equipped to do. Dress shoes on a mountain says it all.

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: August 25, 2019, 11:14:29 AM
It's quite the story to come home with for sure. :D

It's also eye opening to see how a small 65mm SAK can mean a world of difference and is quite capable for it's size.
Even an 58mm would have done the job.
So cheap, so capable... Yet nobody seems to carry one??

I can't get our guide's words out of my head before we started...
"Only take what you'd take when you're out jogging"
- but we're not out jogging... We're out hiking?!

I guess they want people to take as little as possible since they might pack alot off stuff that would only weigh them down during the hike. But not knowing the difference between what to take and what not, means you shouldn't be doing the hike in the first place IMHO.

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #35 on: August 25, 2019, 01:38:41 PM
That is a nice area! I loved The Norwegian landscape when I visited several years ago  :like:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: August 25, 2019, 02:21:14 PM
Great follow up photos of your hike. I googled it yesterday and watched a couple of YouTube videos of it. Very nice area!  :cheers:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #37 on: August 25, 2019, 02:26:39 PM
Well done Mechy and cool pics.  :tu:

We have a track here called the Tongariro Crossing that is notorious for being populated by very under-prepared tourists (eg wearing jandals [flipflops/thongs] - this is up a mountain where it often snows and the weather can turn very quickly).

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: August 25, 2019, 02:28:24 PM
Thanks for sharing more pictures.  I also cannot believe the guide said to only bring items as if you were on a jog.   :twak:.  She is lucky you brought what you thought was proper for the hike.  Glad you were also able to react quickly and catchy the wife from falling. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: August 25, 2019, 02:59:11 PM
Just to add my appreciation and compliments on solid common sense thinking :tu: :salute: :cheers: in the face of what this so called 'guide' told you (irresponsible smurf, that one)  :rant:

I never ever go hiking without at least a SAK and a small FAK with a Mylar blanket. Skiing too, by the way. That helped keep my youngest from cooling out when he fell badly and had to be medevac'ed out 10 years ago too.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: August 25, 2019, 03:15:04 PM
Just to add my appreciation and compliments on solid common sense thinking :tu: :salute: :cheers: in the face of what this so called 'guide' told you (irresponsible smurf, that one)  :rant:

I never ever go hiking without at least a SAK and a small FAK with a Mylar blanket. Skiing too, by the way. That helped keep my youngest from cooling out when he fell badly and had to be medevac'ed out 10 years ago too.
Oh boy...glad it worked out for the best!  :cheers:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #41 on: August 25, 2019, 09:51:46 PM
Way to go Mechy  :2tu:.

And thank you for proving my point to my two boys who always give me that  ::) look when I slip a mylar blanket in all of our backpacks (and even two in mine).

They weigh nothing, take up no space, and can be used in multiple ways.  A true "no brainer" if you ask me.

I feel the same about hiking poles (like mentioned here already), I put them on the outside of my backpack and don't even notice that they are there, but in case of emergency, they can be used in all sort of ways.

Take what you would take when you go jogging...  :facepalm:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: August 25, 2019, 10:33:41 PM
I’m a big fan of hiking poles. A relative had an old hoe that was busted so he cut the metal spikes off except the middle one and uses it for apple snatching off the trees. Well it also makes a great tree or branch grabber out in the woods where you can lift yourself up some very steep grades.

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: August 25, 2019, 11:25:15 PM
So cool, some people think ahead, some think after the fact.  Good thing you’re in the former group.  👍👍👍

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: August 25, 2019, 11:42:38 PM
A) well done on being prepared and acting in a difficult situation.  :hatsoff:

B) what the holy smurf is anyone with a shred of authority doing telling people that going for a hike into the hills is the same as going for a smurfing jog?!!  :rant:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: August 26, 2019, 09:49:13 AM
:shrug:

I've never been a fan of hiking poles by the way.

Sure, they can prevent a fall, but when you do, they prevent you from grasping anything to hold on to and you might even fall on top of them.

Furthermore, on the way too busy Preikestolen hike, I've had about 3 bashing into my shins.

A single pole for use like you guys mentioned, sure. But please put it away when it's not needed!
So many people keep them both in hand when they need their hands to climb up :facepalm:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: August 26, 2019, 10:52:34 AM
:shrug:

I've never been a fan of hiking poles by the way.

Sure, they can prevent a fall, but when you do, they prevent you from grasping anything to hold on to and you might even fall on top of them.

Furthermore, on the way too busy Preikestolen hike, I've had about 3 bashing into my shins.

A single pole for use like you guys mentioned, sure. But please put it away when it's not needed!
So many people keep them both in hand when they need their hands to climb up :facepalm:

I on the contrary is a big fan of hiking poles, and I will not go for any serious hikes without the pair of my poles.

They will not 'prevent' the fall, but do help you to balance yourself in difficult terrain and give you an extra propulsion on each stride.  I could easily covers 20-30% more distance whenever I am with the help of hiking poles.  There is also a particular way to use your poles, such way that when you let go, you will not lose them and your hands are free to grab onto anything.

As for alternative use, they could be used as a splint, tent pole repair, measure water depth, selfie stick, etc.

The lady in this video did show what I think is the proper way to hold your hiking poles, and why the wrong way could damage your hand/wrist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXUz1seCDlc

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #47 on: August 26, 2019, 11:07:47 AM
I on the contrary is a big fan of hiking poles, and I will not go for any serious hikes without the pair of my poles.

They will not 'prevent' the fall, but do help you to balance yourself in difficult terrain and give you an extra propulsion on each stride.  I could easily covers 20-30% more distance whenever I am with the help of hiking poles.  There is also a particular way to use your poles, such way that when you let go, you will not lose them and your hands are free to grab onto anything.

As for alternative use, they could be used as a splint, tent pole repair, measure water depth, selfie stick, etc.

The lady in this video did show what I think is the proper way to hold your hiking poles, and why the wrong way could damage your hand/wrist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXUz1seCDlc

11 minutes into the video, the pole gripping part is.
In case, wondering anyone was.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #48 on: August 26, 2019, 12:18:00 PM
11 minutes into the video, the pole gripping part is.
In case, wondering anyone was.

I'm happy to watch 11 minutes of Dixie rambling on first. :dd:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: August 26, 2019, 01:47:30 PM
Now, if everyone would use the poles in a correct way instead of holding them as if they're used to draw lines in the sand, my case against them might alter.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: August 26, 2019, 02:23:39 PM
Nice photos, Mechy!  :like:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: August 26, 2019, 03:42:51 PM
Now, if everyone would use the poles in a correct way instead of holding them as if they're used to draw lines in the sand, my case against them might alter.

That's the hard part, many youtubers I've seen even advertising it wrong.  The up-and-down method just make a lot of sense to me, and in fact, half the time I am not 'gripping' onto the poles and just lightly holding onto them.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #52 on: August 26, 2019, 04:38:48 PM

It was irresponsible of the guide to suggest taking only what you'd take on a jog! That accounts for zero contingencies, not the weather, fatigue or injuries, nothing.  I don't jog, but I regularly carry an EDC bag with survival items that could get me through just about anything for 24 hours and I'm not comfortable with less than that.  I'm glad you had the "common sense to be prepared Mechy, as it appears that "common sense"  these days is not so common. :hatsoff:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #53 on: August 26, 2019, 10:50:40 PM
Great job!! 
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #54 on: August 28, 2019, 03:33:53 PM
Another trekking pole user here.  I'm a single pole user tho I do have a pair.  Its a great way to make several points of contact with the ground for better stability whether ascending or descending.  My partner is not a big fan and typically leaves hers at home or in the car.  I will sometimes carry one for her on my pack but she's just not into them  :dunno:

She is a big fan of mylar blankets and buys them every chance she gets ( flea market ) so she can give them away. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: August 28, 2019, 04:51:47 PM
Nice video. And educational  :cheers:

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
A Swiss Army Knife saves a life
Reply #56 on: January 19, 2020, 11:44:27 PM
Well done, Mech, really good job from a good man
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

nz Offline Storm

Reply #57 on: January 20, 2020, 12:52:41 AM
In the words of Dr hibbert from the Simpsons
" don't thank me , thank THE KNIFE "  :D
Top work of proving once again that a small amount of gear and a cool head goes a long way  :hatsoff:
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: January 20, 2020, 12:57:22 AM
 :like:
In the words of Dr hibbert from the Simpsons
" don't thank me , thank THE KNIFE "  :D
Top work of proving once again that a small amount of gear and a cool head goes a long way  :hatsoff:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%