Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lanyards, zipper pulls, fire starters. What if anything do you like on your SAK?

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Ha ha, thanks guys  :cheers:

I think with a few more practice runs I might actually have something acceptable. I will say though, boy it's a pain to try and move the bigger knots. On the end I think it's called a Turks head - hard to get it cinched up next to the other knots.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
The fun of having a paracord is having the ability to DIY and make a true custom :cheers:

Yep, it looks like it might be a fun little side hobby and a neat way to customize my SAKs. Here's my first attempt, very rudimentary, a bunch of snake knots followed by a Turks head I think... I haven't finished the ends as I'm using this particular one for practice :)
Eventually I will put the beads I got on my favorite EDC SAKs,
That's an awesome work for a first timer... :like:

I think that's a diamond knot at the end... Paracords also come in thinner sizes I think... If you find 550 paracord is to thick, you can also gut it (remove the 7 inner strands)... although may not look good for certain knots... I also like those snake knots, diamond knots and ranger beads... :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Faddy Daddy

I think that's a diamond knot at the end... Paracords also come in thinner sizes I think... If you find 550 paracord is to thick, you can also gut it (remove the 7 inner strands)... although may not look good for certain knots... I also like those snake knots, diamond knots and ranger beads... :cheers:

Thanks jaya_man, I really appreciate the kind words guys.
Yeah, honestly I'm not sure what type of know it is on the end. I followed this video:

And around the 1:05 mark he mentions what he thinks it is. My hearing isn't so good either, ha ha but I think I hear something like floss turk head or some such thing.

us Offline wonderwolf

On my EDC 111mm OH Trekker I have a short gutted paracord lanyard with a fire starter toggle on it similar to how some others on here have theirs set up.

Someday when I get the chance I'm going to come up with a easier yet compact way to have the lanyard/fire starter removable from the split ring.

The way I use it now the lanyard is used with the stopper knot to hold the fire starter to a stick for easier sparking, I've used it several times and really do like how handy those toggles are, esp for the price.
"A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow" - The Edge

us Offline Faddy Daddy

On my EDC 111mm OH Trekker I have a short gutted paracord lanyard with a fire starter toggle on it similar to how some others on here have theirs set up.

Someday when I get the chance I'm going to come up with a easier yet compact way to have the lanyard/fire starter removable from the split ring.

The way I use it now the lanyard is used with the stopper knot to hold the fire starter to a stick for easier sparking, I've used it several times and really do like how handy those toggles are, esp for the price.

I think I'll buy a few of those toggles to play around with when I get a bit more experienced. I mean what the heck, adding some cordage and a fire starter to the edc seems like a great idea.

us Offline SummitCOMike

• I am a walking SAK! However a lot less durable.
For most of my EDC' I just use small Zipper pulls from REI or off jackets I don't use any more. This one is off an old Mammut shell.  For bigger carries or when backpacking I will make a lanyard out of accessory cord or Paracord with some Snake, Diamond, or other decorative knots.  I used to hate the lanyard thing but I keep them short but with a big enough loop just to get a finger through.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life

Thanks jaya_man, I really appreciate the kind words guys.
Yeah, honestly I'm not sure what type of know it is on the end. I followed this video:

And around the 1:05 mark he mentions what he thinks it is. My hearing isn't so good either, ha ha but I think I hear something like floss turk head or some such thing.
Hey thanks for posting that video. It is the same one I used to make paracord lanyards for several of my SAKs years ago. I had forgotten how to even make that knot!

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
For most of my EDC' I just use small Zipper pulls from REI or off jackets I don't use any more. This one is off an old Mammut shell.  For bigger carries or when backpacking I will make a lanyard out of accessory cord or Paracord with some Snake, Diamond, or other decorative knots.  I used to hate the lanyard thing but I keep them short but with a big enough loop just to get a finger through. (Image removed from quote.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

:like:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

at Offline Peter1960

I like fobs with additional purpose and therefore I made this one with clip functionality -

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Just made a few paracord lanyards...

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Just made a few paracord lanyards...(Image removed from quote.)

:like: :like: :like:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Bought some leather string. I'll probably have some new lanyards soon.

:D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator

Thanks Jessan :cheers:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am

Just when I was planning on purchasing Victorinox lanyards, I see your post and now am having second thoughts  :cheers:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator

Just when I was planning on purchasing Victorinox lanyards, I see your post and now am having second thoughts  :cheers:
Hahaha... Vic lanyards are less than $2/pc. over here... 1 meter of paracord costs less than $1... I used a little over a meter for 5 lanyards... cheaper... :cheers:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club

Hahaha... Vic lanyards are less than $2/pc. over here... 1 meter of paracord costs less than $1... I used a little over a meter for 5 lanyards... cheaper... :cheers:

Not only that, you get that warm feeling of using something you did yourself. Lots of tutorials on youtube on how to tie different knots and make different types of lanyards.

:pok: :pok:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator

Not only that, you get that warm feeling of using something you did yourself. Lots of tutorials on youtube on how to tie different knots and make different types of lanyards.

Agree... now you make want to try leather strings... need to get some :lol:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am

My knives and tools used to have lanyards I did myself using paracords. I just might go back to doing them. The Vic lanyard source I contacted said it's selling for $1 a piece  :-\

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club

Go for it!

Just bought 2mts for €3. It will serve to make about half a dozen lanyards/fobs, with different sizes and styles.

I also found a tool from Tandy, to make leather strings out of leather squares. It's €17, don't know if I can/will use it enough to make it worth my while to buy it.

Just saw the prices at Tandy:
Elite Club Price: $8.45
Gold Club Price: $10.40
Your Price: $12.99

Wow, what a difference!
 :facepalm:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Here's how it works:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Here's how it works:

Coool...

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Cheers Santos - interesting tool.  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Cheers Santos - interesting tool.  :salute:

Yup. You can get an enormous length of leather thread from a fairly small piece of scrap leather. Must really think about getting one of these.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Just to other day I removed the lanyard from 2 SAKs.  I got to thinking, I have lanyards on my Swisschamp, Explorer and Manager as far as SAKs go.  The other SAKs are to me best suited without.  I do have lanyards on a few AAA lights.  They seem to be a nice addition.  I looked back on what I originally wrote and am more comfortable without a lanyard on most SAKs.   
Esse Quam Videri

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
My favorite simple knot to end a lanyard with... Matthew Walker knot

:cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
My favorite simple knot to end a lanyard with... Matthew Walker knot

:cheers:

Nice! It's like a snake knot on steroids. That's the one I use. Will try this one.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
I like having a lanyard untill I use my sak/MT then they drive me nuts as get in my way  :ahhh so I've removed them all at the moment, I'm sure I'll end up putting them back on, generally I like paracord or leather  :tu:

us Offline TonySal

• join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Had a 1/4 little sockett dangle on a lanyard, remove it, insert screwdriver and you have a 1/4 driver- may scratch the knife though...
Just using SAK ones on the little ones and a P7 clip on the heavier Huntsman.
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline TonySal

• join The American Legion Family - since 1919

I use the loop through on many of my paracord lanyards and I've never had one work loose. The  advantage of the loop through is that it's easier to change onto a different knife or to change lanyard colors/braid design when so desired.

I think that way maybe looks a little better too? I bought 3 lanyards from Vic, 2 stay on nicely but one keeps wanting to work it's way loose. I really yanked on it in attempt to tighten or help it permanently form. Maybe a thicker paracord might help out there - the Victorinox lanyard isn't excessively thick.
Regardless, I'm thinking the paracord weaving might be a fun sidetrack. Now if I can only choose a color .... who knew so many, wow.
In my Really limited experience,  I found if you wet the cord  (water ) it should tighten up a bit...
join KNIFE RIGHTS

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD