Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lanyards, zipper pulls, fire starters. What if anything do you like on your SAK?

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
:b2t:

I really like the TEC clip clone on just about any SAK.

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Well I was going to comment, but it appears this thread has already imploded. I'll wait for the next lanyard topic to come round   :facepalm:

Sorry buddy, I'll stop.  :cheers:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
I don't recall ever seeing Persimmons at Tesco.  :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Well I was going to comment, but it appears this thread has already imploded. I'll wait for the next lanyard topic to come round   :facepalm:

Sorry buddy, I'll stop.  :cheers:
Aww, already?  :(

Lol, +1.  :cheers:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Very nice Shamus!  :salute: Does it get dirty quick though? Love the colour

No, the neon yellow cord doesn't seem to get dirty.  I have tossed the lanyards in the washer and that works.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
My Compact shares a dangler with a Fenix e01 and a thumbdrive- does that count?

Depending on the SAK, tiny to single AAA lights, ferro rods, or lanyards have all shown up over the years.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
On several of my SAK's I've filed off the lanyard/keyring feature.

Oddly, I kinda like a small lanyard on my Cadet models....

us Offline Faddy Daddy

My Compact shares a dangler with a Fenix e01 and a thumbdrive- does that count?

Depending on the SAK, tiny to single AAA lights, ferro rods, or lanyards have all shown up over the years.

Yeah I've been seeing all sorts of possibilities. I'm thinking I might try some simple paracord lanyards.
Again, seems a nice and simple way to customize a SAK.

us Offline Faddy Daddy

I think that's one of the first times I've heard of someone filing it off, but makes sense if you're sure you don't want it.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
I think that's one of the first times I've heard of someone filing it off, but makes sense if you're sure you don't want it.

I've got one Climber with a lanyard, one without the key ring attachment. Go figure.

I have a Pioneer that I filed the key ring attachment point off of, even though I have an alox Soldier. I have an alox Farmer that I keep on a small carabinier so I can wear it on a neck chain for when I don't have pockets.

I think some models just feel better in the hand without that little metal bump sticking out. Others I want to have a lanyard for added security or convenience.

gb Offline Damsel

• Damsel in this dress

nobody can see your photo, use a different host.

Danielle
:angel: Sugar, spice and everything nice.  :angel:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Here's my SwissChamp with the lanyard I made for it few years ago

:cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club

nobody can see your photo, use a different host.

Danielle

:oops: Sorry, pics showed up yesterday....

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 05:10:51 PM by Nix »

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Just ordered these for my SAKs, 10 for $2

us Offline Faddy Daddy

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks for sharing Aleph, I might try to do something similar except with a paracord bead. Maybe a little tiki guy, or veles God of luck or some such.

Does your lanyard ever work it's way loose from the knife? Curious if the loop through is most common or going directly through the keyring....

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Just ordered these for my SAKs, 10 for $2(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

That's also a nice way to go An0nemus, certainly less expensive than some of the paracord beads I'm considering, (10 to 25 bucks or so).

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks for sharing Aleph, I might try to do something similar except with a paracord bead. Maybe a little tiki guy, or veles God of luck or some such.

Does your lanyard ever work it's way loose from the knife? Curious if the loop through is most common or going directly through the keyring....

I use the loop through on many of my paracord lanyards and I've never had one work loose. The  advantage of the loop through is that it's easier to change onto a different knife or to change lanyard colors/braid design when so desired.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline Faddy Daddy

I use the loop through on many of my paracord lanyards and I've never had one work loose. The  advantage of the loop through is that it's easier to change onto a different knife or to change lanyard colors/braid design when so desired.

I think that way maybe looks a little better too? I bought 3 lanyards from Vic, 2 stay on nicely but one keeps wanting to work it's way loose. I really yanked on it in attempt to tighten or help it permanently form. Maybe a thicker paracord might help out there - the Victorinox lanyard isn't excessively thick.
Regardless, I'm thinking the paracord weaving might be a fun sidetrack. Now if I can only choose a color .... who knew so many, wow.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
I prefer smooth knives for pocket carry, Wenger style chain-and-split-ring for sheath carry.
DSC07490-lanyards-wenger-style.jpg
* DSC07490-lanyards-wenger-style.jpg (Filesize: 394.32 KB)

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
I'm a gardener, and often my hands are dirty. Traditional lanyards will then get dirty as well, that's why the chains.  :)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
maybe not lanyards per se, but I use different attachments and grabbing methods on them

on larger SAKs I tend to use chains and rings

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Here's a few of mine, I mostly put the glow in the dark ones with what ever color paracord will match the item, those others are just plain, but that other one is a whistle tip! Needless to say one of those go on whatever, so like out of all the zippers on a backpack, one gets a whistle, a jacket, somewhere there's a whistle! Not that I can't whistle but just the thought..
JR
IMG_8431.PNG
* IMG_8431.PNG (Filesize: 364.69 KB)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 09:55:39 PM by MadPlumbarian »
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Oh yeah, that little setup on the red sak on the left, I punched a hole thingy through the leather, mounted a small clip so when the sak is in the sheath "snap"! One day I got home and found the flap open and was like ohhhh no, I ain't losing a custom sak! So this way if the flap opens and the sak falls out, it ain't going anywhere!
JR
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:03:01 PM by MadPlumbarian »
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
How could I forget, a belt loop lanyard, a little something I made so I could throw a sak in the pocket and it didn't lay at the bottom, and the top is adjustable, because you know every pair of pants are diff so gotta make it fit!
JR
IMG_8434.PNG
* IMG_8434.PNG (Filesize: 248.11 KB)

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Just ordered these for my SAKs, 10 for $2(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

That's also a nice way to go An0nemus, certainly less expensive than some of the paracord beads I'm considering, (10 to 25 bucks or so).
Not sure if I'll like them though, Faddy. And if I don't, then I'll just put them on my bags. I'll post pics when I install them next week

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Here's a few of mine, I mostly put the glow in the dark ones with what ever color paracord will match the item, those others are just plain, but that other one is a whistle tip! Needless to say one of those go on whatever, so like out of all the zippers on a backpack, one gets a whistle, a jacket, somewhere there's a whistle! Not that I can't whistle but just the thought..
JR
Just wondering about those glow in the dark ones. Do you just insert the ends of the paracord and snap them shut?

It's not failure if you learn something from it

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Oh yeah, that little setup on the red sak on the left, I punched a hole thingy through the leather, mounted a small clip so when the sak is in the sheath "snap"! One day I got home and found the flap open and was like ohhhh no, I ain't losing a custom sak! So this way if the flap opens and the sak falls out, it ain't going anywhere!
JR

Nice idea MadP! I think I read about other people using long lanyards when working at height or over water to keep from loosing them as well.
Also like the belt lanyard pictured, just below the caribeaner it almost looks like one of those smaller fire steels but I think it's just a cord lock?

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Not sure if I'll like them though, Faddy. And if I don't, then I'll just put them on my bags. I'll post pics when I install them next week

Will be nice to see! Honestly they don't look all that different from the ones Victorinox sells. There is a pretty big variety online though. I thought these looked okay, not quite as inexpensive as the ones you found but not too bad.
https://www.amazon.com/MSR-Universal-Zipper-Pull/dp/B01CK1ZC2M/ref=pd_sim_201_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01CK1ZC2M&pd_rd_r=VAMGZDD5VE12Q06T15KS&pd_rd_w=Onjkx&pd_rd_wg=8rBKN&refRID=VAMGZDD5VE12Q06T15KS

I'm still thinking a homemade paracord lanyard with something like these on it might be kinda fun ....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bronze-Paracord-Knife-Leather-Lanyard-Bead-Beads-Alien-Skull-Predator-Terminator/182308990029?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D45726%26meid%3D91c24d4700894cfa97fd4dbefc864da1%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D311760683803&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

us Offline Faddy Daddy

JR

Looks like one can get pretty creative with lanyards for sure! I saw a few of those, lanyards with whistles, or one was even a combination fire starter and whistle. Definitely can add to the SAK's tool set.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Ok ok, chill guys..
First off here's how there made, you just fish the cord through the one piece then slip it into the little nooks, then pull the other piece over and lock it into place, same goes for the whistle tip. The amazing thing on those are the price, if you order them from the manufacturer you have to buy them each piece individually there like 30cents so only 60cents for a complete unit, yeah tax and shipping so maybe close to a whole buck for one and that's the whistle, the others like under 30cents all together! So if you order a few it's a good price, unlike buying them from other places for well over!

That other is a side release clip,it doesn't have the strike or handcuff key in the middle, but has the whistle on the sides..
JR

Guess it would help if I put the pic in :whistle:
IMG_8439.PNG
* IMG_8439.PNG (Filesize: 107.88 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%