Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Carrying the Center Drive

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Carrying the Center Drive
on: August 09, 2017, 11:06:43 AM
I got my Center Drive yesterday and decided to carry it for a couple of days (plan is about 30 days or until I feel I have a good understanding of the tool). Personally, I'm not a fan of the tool, hate their marketing, but I try to keep an open mind (worked with the Signal). As I'm quite busy at the present there won't be a daily update, but I try my best.

First Impressions
The very first thing I noticed was that both outside tools (blade and driver) looked used. By that I mean the coloring was scratched and has come off at many edges, the blade was dirty. The tool was in a blister pack, so it came like this from the factory.
Other than that the finish was a lot better than expected (and better than on both of my Surges and both Waves). You do not get that unfinished impression I had particularly with my first Surge and there are no sharp edges with the exception of the backside of the blade. I had none of the problems described by other CD users, there is nothing loose and the pliers are well aligned.
The tool is a lot less rattly than the MP-600 family and has probably the smoothest flicking action I have ever experienced.
I do like the blade shape, but I would prefer if it were 2cm shorter.
The CD is oddly shaped with uneven handles and a massive spoiler for better aerodynamics (the spoiler also prevents slipping when flicking). It feels good in the hands though, how it fairs in my pockets remains to be seen.

First Impression on the Driver
Trying to open the driver, I noticed, that it is fairly hard to open one-handed. Structuring of the driver gives not enough traction and it lacks a stud/hole/flipper. That I would call a missed opportunity.
Of course I inspected the alignment of the driver, after all, that is what this tool is about. I already knew that the driver would not be on the center axis, as advertised, but believed it to be on the center plane between the two handles. However, I'm sad to report, its not even that (pics will follow, but this needs a good setup to counter image distortions). How much that matters remains to be seen, I wish I had a MP1 for direct comparison of outside driver. On the up side, it is very long and feels strong.

First public reaction to the CD (my boss, when I offered to use the CD to pull a tooth): You got a big tool :D
cd_01.jpg
* cd_01.jpg (Filesize: 48.47 KB)
cd_02.jpg
* cd_02.jpg (Filesize: 47.45 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Carrying the Center Drive
Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 04:39:19 PM

Nah, not the CD... but the poor cap on my Jarritos I opened during lunch break. Is that a can-opener and not a cap-lifter? Seriously, must be the worst cap opener, because it destroyed the cap instead of removing it... although I'm sure that will have good application in other areas.
cd_2_1.jpg
* cd_2_1.jpg (Filesize: 72.15 KB)
cd_2_2.jpg
* cd_2_2.jpg (Filesize: 55.58 KB)
cd_2_3.jpg
* cd_2_3.jpg (Filesize: 78.88 KB)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 04:45:22 PM
 :facepalm: :rofl:

If you ask me, it's shaped more like a can opener, even though it's not a can opener (unless I'm mistaken).  :facepalm:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 04:57:25 PM
Have you tried doing a can yet? It might lift the top off cleanly  :rofl:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 05:10:54 PM
Have you tried doing a can yet? It might lift the top off cleanly  :rofl:
I will try that, although I'm not sure if it can get a hold on the rim...

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 05:16:08 PM
:facepalm: :rofl:

If you ask me, it's shaped more like a can opener, even though it's not a can opener (unless I'm mistaken).  :facepalm:
According to their website it is a can opener... then I found this gold:

Serrated saw blade
Never seen a non-serrated saw-blade... also, did not realize that was supposed to be a saw or are there hidden features I have not discovered yet :think:

From their British site (I have no idea how I got there)
gerber.jpg
* gerber.jpg (Filesize: 37.96 KB)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 05:18:26 PM by Etherealicer »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 05:21:01 PM
Maybe they meant the serrated blade? Or file?

A stretch I know.  :facepalm: :rofl:

All hail the hook!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 05:25:02 PM
Maybe they meant the serrated blade? Or file?

A stretch I know.  :facepalm: :rofl:
I probably have no right to mock them, seeing as my Master thesis has a typo in its title :P

But its so little text... proofreading was probably done by the guy who missed that small detail on the US site
gerber_2.jpg
* gerber_2.jpg (Filesize: 87.43 KB)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 08:19:37 PM
Alignment of the driver, this is just an observation and I have no idea how it reflects on performance, if that is even noticeable. Also I kinda feel it looks now worse in the picture than in reality, but what you can see is that the driver is not in the right place and its orientation is not quite right.
cd_3_1.jpg
* cd_3_1.jpg (Filesize: 53.92 KB)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 08:29:18 PM
Don't worry Beat, I'm sure we've all had this issue from time to time. Nothing a dose of Smurfpills won't fix.  :rofl:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 08:30:30 PM
Second task, cutting a cucumber. Sounds easy right... sadly the knife blade is so blunt it made me work for a cucumber :ahhh
Sure, that is nothing a couple of minutes with the sharpening stone can't fix. But honestly I believe it should not be necessary on a new tool.

And what if Gerber made honest advertisement :D
cd_3_2.jpg
* cd_3_2.jpg (Filesize: 57.99 KB)
cd_3_3.jpg
* cd_3_3.jpg (Filesize: 35.08 KB)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 08:37:12 PM by Etherealicer »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 12:28:41 AM
nteresting thoughts, I liked reading your impressions.
I have two comments,

1. My Gerbers, new and old, used or boxed, all came with those wear marks, grind lines, scratches and paint blemishes. I guess their factory processing and construction plant is a bit rough on their tools...None of them affected functionality or performance, though
2. As much as a bottlecap opener should be really easy to do and do it properly it seems far too common to be a problematic implement on many multitools from different brands today. Gerbers are specially offending, what I've found it I either use the plier jaws to grab and twist the cap, or pry it upwards if the jaws width is not enough, or I pinch the cap in between the handles and twist or pry off the thing.
You can always use the awl to stab the cap at an angle (without your hand on the awl's way) and move the tool in a downward motion to pop it off
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 09:11:58 AM
nteresting thoughts, I liked reading your impressions.
I have two comments,

1. My Gerbers, new and old, used or boxed, all came with those wear marks, grind lines, scratches and paint blemishes. I guess their factory processing and construction plant is a bit rough on their tools...None of them affected functionality or performance, though
2. As much as a bottlecap opener should be really easy to do and do it properly it seems far too common to be a problematic implement on many multitools from different brands today. Gerbers are specially offending, what I've found it I either use the plier jaws to grab and twist the cap, or pry it upwards if the jaws width is not enough, or I pinch the cap in between the handles and twist or pry off the thing.
You can always use the awl to stab the cap at an angle (without your hand on the awl's way) and move the tool in a downward motion to pop it off
If it is slightly dirty or bruised and the knife comes un-sharpened that does not affect the performance at all, we are in agreement on that. It is just something that I noticed. We should not forget that around here, the CD costs the same as a Spirit and that is what it has to live up to :D.
But I don't think its a problem of the factory process, this is cutting corners to save money and is seen in a lot of tools.

At some point, poor finish goes beyond being an aesthetic problem and and starts to hurt performance. The scales of my stainless Surge (BO version is fine)  are an example of this, when gripping the tool hard, they bite in my hand because they are sharp. Even worse are the locks on the Surge (not just mine) that don't engage properly. The CD might just get away, but with the sharp back-edge of the blade we have a potential hot-spot.

2. We don't need more cap-lifter, so I really don't think that is a breaking point for the CD. I mean in the end, the cap came off, no surprise, you can take a cap of with almost anything.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 07:43:31 AM
Not much of an update, I sharpened the main blade yesterday. I also opened some more bottles with various results. Thomas Henry Tonic water got pierced, but just barely and San Pellegrino did not get damaged beyond the expected at all. So, I will open another Jarritos, just to see if the cap is that much weaker on it.
I'm sad to report that the serrated blade is also not that sharp and I will have to sharpen it too.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 07:53:27 AM
 :popcorn:

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 08:59:25 AM
Wait serrated saw blade? I'd say it could have been an error in translation but that makes even less sense
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 04:07:42 PM
Wait serrated saw blade? I'd say it could have been an error in translation but that makes even less sense
Translation? From US English to British English :D, nah that is just an error, probably copied it in from another tool and adjusted to the CD.

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 07:58:55 PM
All I can say is this, I've had my Center Drive for over a month now, and have used it on everything from the construction site to assisting at a car crash on the interstate, and it has yet to let me down. It has even replaced my favorite mt, the mighty mp600. I guess it all depends on what you need the tool to do.
Send In the spartans

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 08:01:24 PM
Yesterday I managed to test it on a can, and it did well enough. I used various methods, to the right (cleanest cut) was the traditional forward down stroke. Its not a fast process but it worked, which is a win in my book as it adds function.

So, during my train raid ( :rofl: that should of course be ride, too good to be corrected) today my brain did run wild. The pry-tool might be the best implement on the CD, topping the driver. I was playing a bit with the tool and noticed that when using the pry tool you are bound to use the plastic lock as lever point... not good. Anyway, stay positive, right? This could be a great tool, think about a nail is too deep in, use the nail puller to lift it up a bit, then whatever larger tool (hammer) you have to pull it out.

And it chipped... this is a frickin brass nail

Also, its not my day... broke another tool minutes after I broke the CD :ahhh
cd_5_1.jpg
* cd_5_1.jpg (Filesize: 57.07 KB)
cd_5_2.jpg
* cd_5_2.jpg (Filesize: 88.48 KB)
cd_5_3.jpg
* cd_5_3.jpg (Filesize: 140.58 KB)
cd_5_4.jpg
* cd_5_4.jpg (Filesize: 76.7 KB)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:10:53 PM by Etherealicer »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 08:11:44 PM
All I can say is this, I've had my Center Drive for over a month now, and have used it on everything from the construction site to assisting at a car crash on the interstate, and it has yet to let me down. It has even replaced my favorite mt, the mighty mp600. I guess it all depends on what you need the tool to do.
Very good, I hope you will share a bit more details... pictures :D

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 08:18:40 PM

Here are some jobsite shots, one is bending metal studs when I din't have any linesman pliers on hand, and the other was a quick pic while on break.
0731171154b.jpg
* 0731171154b.jpg (Filesize: 180.1 KB)
0731171232.jpg
* 0731171232.jpg (Filesize: 83.8 KB)
0803170951g.jpg
* 0803170951g.jpg (Filesize: 165.77 KB)
Send In the spartans

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: August 12, 2017, 08:23:59 PM

Here are some jobsite shots, one is bending metal studs when I din't have any linesman pliers on hand, and the other was a quick pic while on break.
:tu: :tu: :tu:

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 12, 2017, 08:32:53 PM
Thanks man! :cheers:
Send In the spartans

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: August 12, 2017, 08:50:09 PM
Here are some shots of what I mean that you will be using the plastic lock as a lever point.
cd_6_1.jpg
* cd_6_1.jpg (Filesize: 72.75 KB)
cd_6_2.jpg
* cd_6_2.jpg (Filesize: 82.8 KB)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: August 12, 2017, 09:01:52 PM
Would be a shame to send it back without using the awl or the driver. The awl can make a nice fine or an ugly large hole.
The driver feels quite good, not sure if the alignment matters that much (would be nice if I had an MP-1 to compare). Problem is that you (or at least I) use the palm to press down the driver and rotate it with my fingers. Sadly, that end of the CD is rather rough. You can see that the pliers are sticking out slightly and the frame is not nicely smoothed out. Please Gerber, for the next version mike the screws larger so we have a nice smooth end to use. Also, after putting a screw twice into soft wood the bit shows wear (you can feel it better than see it), more wear than the screw, so please use better bits.
cd_7_1.jpg
* cd_7_1.jpg (Filesize: 73.09 KB)
cd_7_2.jpg
* cd_7_2.jpg (Filesize: 57.63 KB)
cd_7_3.jpg
* cd_7_3.jpg (Filesize: 81.49 KB)
cd_7_4.jpg
* cd_7_4.jpg (Filesize: 134.01 KB)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: August 12, 2017, 10:38:08 PM
You can't really complain about bit wear when you use a Phillips bit on a Pozidriv screw.   :pok:   :D

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: August 12, 2017, 11:10:30 PM
You can't really complain about bit wear when you use a Phillips bit on a Pozidriv screw.   :pok:   :D
Gotta agree with the man here... :D

Pozidriv screws are Phillips killers.
Less troublesome the other way around IIRC.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: August 12, 2017, 11:35:35 PM

The most common screw around here is pozidriv. I wish Vic made an inline pozidriv.  :cry:

All hail the hook!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: August 13, 2017, 12:17:54 AM

I disagree for 2 reasons
First, its a multi-tool and that is always a compromise, you use what works (my version only came with 2 bits). The bit actually fits very well.
Second, its the screw that should show more wear than the bit. I mean that is just a regular screw and I put it into soft wood. If I do that with a pioneer you won't see any wear and that is even less of a fit.

Btw, I pulled the nail out with a Cadet without any problems...

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: August 13, 2017, 12:42:26 AM
So what will happen to it after all the testing, you sending it back for a refund?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%