Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Carrying the Center Drive

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Carrying the Center Drive
Reply #30 on: August 13, 2017, 03:28:35 AM
Here's my .02 on this.  I just opened mutlitple bottles with mine and no issues.  I've used mine on multiiple projects and no issues.  If you use the wrong bit for the screw you are using, you are going to wear either the screw head, the bit, or both.  If you don't like the tool, then why not send it back and get something you like??
Barry

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: August 13, 2017, 08:01:36 AM
I have used the prybar on my center drive quite a bit without issue. Maybe your is a flawed one?
(Or maybe it is the incredibly hard swiss screws, I remeber you chipped those Swizas too  :P :D )

I totally agree about the sharpness of the "tip". It really eats into your hand when using the screwdriver a lot without gloves.

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: August 13, 2017, 09:41:24 AM
So what will happen to it after all the testing, you sending it back for a refund?
I have not decided yet, there is a lot to like about this tool but it also has some flaws.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: August 13, 2017, 09:51:59 AM
Here's my .02 on this.  I just opened mutlitple bottles with mine and no issues.  I've used mine on multiiple projects and no issues.  If you use the wrong bit for the screw you are using, you are going to wear either the screw head, the bit, or both.  If you don't like the tool, then why not send it back and get something you like??
I love trying out new tools. E.g when I used the OHT, I never liked the tool much but I realized how much I liked the rescue hook. More extreme case was the Signal. I never wanted one, then there was a great price offer and I bought it (same was here with the CD). Once I started to carry the Signal I started to like it more and more and now it is my favorite LM.

I had no issues with the cap lifter, apart from a mangled cap and we don't re-use those. I was a bit shocked... also that was my attempt at humor with the Star Trek quote, :D

Bits wear down, that is a fact, but not with so little use. In fact, never wore out a quality bit when using a manual driver.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: August 13, 2017, 09:59:57 AM
I have used the prybar on my center drive quite a bit without issue. Maybe your is a flawed one?
(Or maybe it is the incredibly hard swiss screws, I remeber you chipped those Swizas too  :P :D )

I totally agree about the sharpness of the "tip". It really eats into your hand when using the screwdriver a lot without gloves.
Well, the prybar chipped when trying to pull out a brass nail... something I can do and did with the Cadet.
Swiza was really bad too. Fortunately, I used a standardized test (screws in aluminum frame) there, which limited the upper end of how much force I could use as the threads on the frame broke. Like that, the results were easily comparable.

Obviously, I got a Monday prybar. The problem is, that you need to test out every implement of every new tool, if you want to rely on it.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: August 13, 2017, 10:07:05 AM
This is how soft the brass nail was. One, one-handed, squeeze by me (office guy) at the front end of the toothy grip area (what is that called?), roughly where the head of the nail lies.
It shaved off a large piece and completely mangled the nail head without any visible traces/scratches on the pliers.
cd_8_1.jpg
* cd_8_1.jpg (Filesize: 139.75 KB)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: August 13, 2017, 10:31:44 AM
Same kinda screw, in and out with the Cadet. This was a lot harder, slower and exhausting than with the CD and for the final turns I had to go to 90°. But you can easily see there is only slightly more wear on the screw (grip was fairly good), there is no visible wear on the Cadet small flat screwdriver.

The second screw, the one that is about 95% in was the one I used with the CD and I have put it back in with the CD in a second hole.
cd_8_3.jpg
* cd_8_3.jpg (Filesize: 87.63 KB)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: August 14, 2017, 02:44:33 PM
I know it is early for a conclusion as I had the tool only for a brief moment. But obvisouly it has to go back and I'm still undecided if I want it replaced or refunded.

The Ugly
Obviously, that has to be the Quality Control. Many have complained about poorly aligned plier-jaws, I was lucky in that area but had a pry-bar with shoddy heat treatment (or at least that is my guess). We should not have to rely om luck to get a tool that works as advertised.

The Bad
First off, the tip of the frame, which presses into your hand balm when using the driver has to be more smooth. Removing all sharp edges is a first step but I propose that they increase the diameter of the hing-screw (see above) to get a better surface.
I also think they should re-visit their pry-tool and change the design of the frame/tool so, that one does not use the plastic lock-lever as pivoting point.

The Good
Clearly, the long driver is a winner. The only thing I would change with that is to give it a hole/stud for easier one-handed opening.
The pry tool is another winner. Despite being on the stubby side, I really see a lot of potential for this tool. This makes it all the more frustrating that mine broke.
Biggest win for me was the new sliding mechanism. Its really smooth and the first one that really works well one-hande. I think these is also the first flicker I can flick in any direction.

My final 2ct
They could make the body a bit longer, so the inside tools would get a decent length too. Its already a big tool, no-one would even notice if it was another cm or two longer.
I always thought that the MP600 is a country boy, though, rough, with edges and rattly, but he gets the job done. The CD is like the little brother and the first in the family that went to college. He still has that though country vibe, but his corners are smoother.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 05:57:14 PM by Etherealicer »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #38 on: August 14, 2017, 03:12:02 PM
Quality control seems to be a real issue at Gerber, for reasons unknown to me.  I seem to have hit it lucky with mine in that it hasn't had a lot of the problems other guys have run into.  I wish it had a saw and sharp serrated blade!
Barry

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #39 on: October 30, 2017, 10:11:24 PM
Just Reading Along and Lurking...I have an Early One(Christmas 2016) and So Far really good Luck. If it isn't on my Belt it rides as a Spare in my Go Bag...I Switch it Out with a Diesel..My Only Gripe would be swapping the Serrated Blade for a Wood Saw..I am pretty careful with the Prybar and the Cutters.

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #40 on: November 17, 2017, 03:04:48 AM
 :like: Mine too...a saw would make it perfect for my woodsy self!
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD