Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG PowerGrab Multi-Tool review

00 Offline haja.maideen.988

SOG PowerGrab Multi-Tool review
on: August 12, 2017, 03:25:22 AM
SOG PowerGrab Multi-Tool earn a bad review in amazon. why?
I thought of buying but back out after reading the review.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Re: SOG PowerGrab Multi-Tool review
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 04:56:44 PM
The reviews on Amazon speak for themselves, I think.

Part of the problem is that SOG's inside tools have always been pretty lackluster in execution. Their files are subpar, the scissors are terrible, and the screwdrivers are poorly sized. The PowerGrab uses mostly SOG's older implements, with the only new things being the big knife blades, which other than being longer than standard implements, don't offer much in improvements, since SOG's knife blades have always been better than other manufacturers.

SOG's pliers have always been their big selling point (and even both bad Amazon reviews admit they are great), but lets be brutally honest, if it weren't for how good they were, SOG would have stopped making multitools a long time ago. They have always done well with innovation, but their execution is often so bad it ruins  perfectly great designs. Tthe PowerDuo is a great example of a great idea executed extremly poorly.

The screwdriver bit holder in SOGs new tools was a brilliant move, and its secondary function as a "gear guard" addresses a longtime flaw with SOGs compound leverage design, but it also makes the PowerGrab's inclusion of a 1/4" socket adapter (which mostly was used for holding hex screwdriver bits) very questionable. The real reason they included it is because they don't have any other old tools, and SOG didn't design any new implements to take up the space. At least they didn't put two fat washers in there though.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 05:49:22 PM
The reviews on Amazon speak for themselves, I think.

Part of the problem is that SOG's inside tools have always been pretty lackluster in execution. Their files are subpar, the scissors are terrible, and the screwdrivers are poorly sized. The PowerGrab uses mostly SOG's older implements, with the only new things being the big knife blades, which other than being longer than standard implements, don't offer much in improvements, since SOG's knife blades have always been better than other manufacturers.

SOG's pliers have always been their big selling point (and even both bad Amazon reviews admit they are great), but lets be brutally honest, if it weren't for how good they were, SOG would have stopped making multitools a long time ago. They have always done well with innovation, but their execution is often so bad it ruins  perfectly great designs. Tthe PowerDuo is a great example of a great idea executed extremly poorly.

The screwdriver bit holder in SOGs new tools was a brilliant move, and its secondary function as a "gear guard" addresses a longtime flaw with SOGs compound leverage design, but it also makes the PowerGrab's inclusion of a 1/4" socket adapter (which mostly was used for holding hex screwdriver bits) very questionable. The real reason they included it is because they don't have any other old tools, and SOG didn't design any new implements to take up the space. At least they didn't put two fat washers in there though.

Apart from the "always" in the second sentence I agree with you. I feel that while they were made in the US the inside tools (and pliers for that matter) held a higher quality.

00 Offline haja.maideen.988

Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 07:14:48 AM
I don't have SOG in my collection. just Gerber m Leatherman..........yeepeee

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 04:58:24 PM
I have one and have not gotten my lazy butt around to writting  a review for one. Overall it's a good tool,  I feel it's a step back in terms of design from the PowerAccess. It has some qwerks that make it not perfect but it will definitely do the job.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD