Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Worn out P-38's?

us Offline wonderwolf

Worn out P-38's?
on: August 12, 2017, 04:29:43 AM
I have some what I thought were genuine U.S. SHELBY P-38 can openers I purchased years ago from Sportsman's guide ( like long enough ago any knock-offs shouldn't have been a concern)  anyways...I use have used mine a lot and we even keep one in the kitchen for when the actual can opener is in the dishwasher or whatever and that see's a lot of use. Anyways...I've noted the hook for the bottom part of the lid that acts as the fulcrum is badly wearing and peening almost in most cases, this causes the opener to slip off the can and be pretty much useless without dressing the edges and cutting  a new hook with a dremel or file.

Is this normal? I always thought these little dudes were supposed to be indestructible? I was starting to think maybe I had knock offs but I also know these are simply stamped sheet metal probably not heat treated etc.....they have held up so well over the years until now.

:think:
"A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow" - The Edge

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: Worn out P-38's?
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 05:11:09 AM
They're made out of sheet metal and were never supposed to last indefinitely.
SAW

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 06:40:10 AM
I used one duly for years and only had the blade dull somewhat.  It still worked fine and the lip hook was in fine shape.  That was one directly or of K rations my Dad bought in the 70s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 01:25:47 AM
Didn't they used to put a dozen of these in an envelope in every case of C rations. Which had a dozen cans, as I recall?

They are tough, but not Excaliber.

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 03:55:49 PM
Didn't they used to put a dozen of these in an envelope in every case of C rations. Which had a dozen cans, as I recall?

They are tough, but not Excaliber.

Now picturing Private Arthur wresting a P-38 out of a can...

::)

:D
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 02:07:44 AM
Oh... a can of p-38s. That is recursive, but it would work- how better to ship a gross of can openers than to put them in a can.

It could be my sense of humor playing tricks, but I actually think I saw a picture of a can of can openers. Post war packaging, they were for shipping overseas. I think it was the size of a tomato paste can, not sure how many.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline getahl

Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 10:19:00 PM
Please don't take this as gospel, but I've heard that the Shelby US P-38's, commonly available from places like County Comm, is a brand of privatized, commercially available P-38, not the type issued in C-Rats. I read this on Bladeforums a couple years back, so I can't substantiate the claim. What I do know for sure is that I have a few of the Shelbies from County Comm, and the hook bent after the a single use. After a few more uses, the first one I tried was no longer useable. I've gone through a half dozen or so, and they've all worn out. The number of cans seems to vary, but they all wore out.

I also have five Speaker brand can openers, the type that were supposedly found in C-Rations. The bottom 'prong' of the hook is noticeably thicker than the Shelbies, and I haven't worn out one yet.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 03:09:18 AM
Please don't take this as gospel, but I've heard that the Shelby US P-38's, commonly available from places like County Comm, is a brand of privatized, commercially available P-38, not the type issued in C-Rats. I read this on Bladeforums a couple years back, so I can't substantiate the claim. What I do know for sure is that I have a few of the Shelbies from County Comm, and the hook bent after the a single use. After a few more uses, the first one I tried was no longer useable. I've gone through a half dozen or so, and they've all worn out. The number of cans seems to vary, but they all wore out.

I also have five Speaker brand can openers, the type that were supposedly found in C-Rations. The bottom 'prong' of the hook is noticeably thicker than the Shelbies, and I haven't worn out one yet.

I could easily see that as being down to the factories doing things differently. Considering how a trained eye can find differences between the Victorinox Soldiers and the Wenger Standard Issues I would not be surprised to find differences in the details of the P-38s too. As noted these were never really meant to be used multiple times and some sources suggest one would be issued with every meal so any problems with quality would easily be corrected by the sheer quantity.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 03:22:49 AM
I've got a real one, a p51, a very cheesy imitation with a spoon, but how's this?
JR
IMG_6328.JPG
* IMG_6328.JPG (Filesize: 72.12 KB)
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 03:45:25 AM
I've got a real one, a p51, a very cheesy imitation with a spoon, but how's this?
JR

Hmm, on the one hand I really like the idea but two questions keep nagging me. First, that's a cutting edge incorporated into a handle of a tool and that's usually a bad sign. Secondly, and I'm realising that this might be regional, but the non-folding version of that design is the standard for can openers in my part of the world. This means that the folding ones tend to be relegated to hiking and other situations where standards are lower and peeling might not be required so often.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 04:24:11 AM
JR
Very appeeling.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 04:41:57 AM
I mean it's cool in all, but what are you really going to use it for? Seriously, what gets peeled, potatos? Well unless the kid wants an apple, but still can all be done with a pocket knife..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 10:54:23 AM
I mean it's cool in all, but what are you really going to use it for? Seriously, what gets peeled, potatos? Well unless the kid wants an apple, but still can all be done with a pocket knife..
JR

Yup, and I've never seen a SAK with a worn out can opener  :whistle:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24