Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lion Steel Round head Barlow Review

Dean51 · 12 · 2320

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Lion Steel Round head Barlow Review
on: August 12, 2017, 09:44:27 PM
Steel : M390
Closed Length : 3 3/4 inches
Blade Length : 2 15/16 inches
Edge Length : 2 5/8 inches
Overall Length : 6 11/16 inches
Weight : 2.15 ounces for the carbon fiber
Half Stops : Yes

It’s the rounded edges on everything that offsets any negative that could have been there on this knife.
The first thing you notice is the tang is tall so it gives the initial impression it would be a sharp pocket eater. The tang corner is nicely rounded so it rides in your pocket without a problem and is not noticed in your hand. Even where the spring ends on the back of the knife is rounded as well as the blades spine. Even the bolster and handle take advantage of the rounded liners, buy being a few thousands smaller. Blade to handle ratio is excellent.

If you are used to slip joints they are judged by how flat and flush the back spring come out. Throw that concept out with this knife, the back spring and liners have a radius, so if it wasn’t flush it wouldn’t mater. It is consistent from front to back, so flush by a slightly different standard.

The only thing not rounded are the sides of the knife but that just makes it more comfortable in your pocket. Weighing in at 2.15 ounces. You won’t notice it in your pocket unless you are used to very short, light  knives. Compare that weight to my Queen buffalo horn Stockman that weighs in at 3.4 ounces.

This is the smoothest slipjoint knife I’ve got. Out of the box it didn’t need to be oiled or flushed out. I’m going to attribute that to two things. The first being the pivot is larger than the pins used in slip joints. The second thing is the spring has the same satin finish on the inside as it has on the outside. No break in is needed on this knife.

I dug out a variety of knives and patterns to compare it to. The only slip joints as smooth were the round tang stockmans from GEC, CSC and Queen. None of the knives with half stops were as smooth. The lion Steel has half stops. Pull is a 5 on both samples and the blades are centered.

Fit and finish is excellent, the only flaw if you want to be nit picky is if you hold the back springs to the light there is a little light showing behind the bolster on one side. You can’t see the gap on the back, the radius construction hides it.

I did a cardboard  slicing comparison with a Benchmade mini Ritter, M390, a Queen Copperhead, D2  and the Lion Steel barlow, M390.
The copperhead and the lion steel are about the same thickness at the spine (.094)and about the same height, both have an 18 degree per side edge. The copperhead is .015 behind the edge and the barlow measured .021. 
I have to give a slight edge to the barlow but I’m not sure why, maybe because the barlow was sharpened to 1500 grit and the copperhead was 600 grit. Or perhaps the primary grind is a bit more obtuse on the copperhead.

The Ritter mini was sharpened to 18 degrees per side to 1500 grit, it’s .100 at the spine and .015 behind the edge. The Ritter is much taller from edge to spine than the copperhead or barlow and it showed when slicing. Coming in last behind the copperhead and barlow.
All cutting was done with the back half of the blades to negate any advantage of a tapered blade.

M390 is an amazing steel, it’s very stainless and holds an excellent edge. BUT. it’s best sharpened with diamonds. Trying to sharpen it with a set of budget stones will be an exercise in futility.  You could sharpen it with diamond V rods but to profile to a more acute angle, a Wicked Edge or KME guided system would be a good idea. Having said that I think it sharpens and profiles easier than D2 and holds a better edge.

If I could change one thing it would be to thin the blade by about .005. this would thin the blade just a bit behind the edge. Do that and it would be the perfect knife, the so called One. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:50:45 PM by Dean51 »

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
Re: Lion Steel Round head Barlow Review
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 09:48:43 PM

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 09:51:12 PM
Great review! Looking forward to mine. I drop ship my knives to a pro sharpening guy and I specifically asked for this one to be thinned out behind the edge assuming that it might be too thick given the kinds of blades Lionsteel is used to making. Glad to know it was a good call!
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 09:53:45 PM
All things being equal there is a notable slicing difference between .015 and .021 behind the edge.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 11:34:10 PM
Nice review  :like:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 02:26:04 AM
Excellent review. Thank you for the time you took to write that. Very photogenic new-wave type traditional  :tu:

I'm still on the fence. But just bought a 25, so  :think:  :D
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 06:49:14 AM
Good review Dean. They are verah nice!    :tu:    I saw they had some ram's horn ones left the other day and I was real tempted. I really cant afford any more major knife purchases till I get back from stampede (vacation) Colorado in September. I had just bought the GEC SMKW SFO Calf Roper so funds were short. I've sent the SMKW'S Calf Roper back for exchange if they have any left by monday. It had a ding in the sheild and side to side play in the sheepfoot blade.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 06:57:07 AM by David »
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 02:26:49 PM
Good review Dean. They are verah nice!    :tu:    I saw they had some ram's horn ones left the other day and I was real tempted. I really cant afford any more major knife purchases till I get back from stampede (vacation) Colorado in September. I had just bought the GEC SMKW SFO Calf Roper so funds were short. I've sent the SMKW'S Calf Roper back for exchange if they have any left by monday. It had a ding in the sheild and side to side play in the sheepfoot blade.

The ram's horn or Santos would sure be a good match for your bark river... :think:..... :oops: I'm enabling didn't mean to do that.  :whistle:

If I had not jumped on the reserve list so early I wouldn't have gotten two but that gave me lots of time to squirrel away the funds.

If SMKW doesn't have an exchange get them to forward it to GEC for repair. That knife is to purdy to loose out on.

Enjoy the Stampede.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 08:29:49 AM
Just saw a picture of one of these on bladeforums that someone I can only assume modified the spear point into a drop point. Looked so sweet! Very stylish blade
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 08:46:03 AM
I keep coming back to these, really attractive knives!  :tu:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 10:32:59 AM
Just saw a picture of one of these on bladeforums that someone I can only assume modified the spear point into a drop point. Looked so sweet! Very stylish blade

Nah it's a trial of a clip blade on the same model sent by Lionsteel to the guy who made the original SFO. He's posted it as a rather brilliant marketing strategy.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 12:04:24 PM
Great review :cheers: Love the pics and that knife is just so :dd: :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30