Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pioneer X, 30 day challenge

Nix · 265 · 11425

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Pioneer X, 30 day challenge
Reply #180 on: September 02, 2017, 05:51:45 PM
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #181 on: September 02, 2017, 05:53:50 PM

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #182 on: September 03, 2017, 02:12:17 AM
Good day for the PX. Lots of small tasks from trimming to cutting to opening to pruning. I think I used every tool except the awl today. It was one of those days puttering around the house where the SAK kept finding it's way into my hand. At this point, it's becoming an ideal SAK for me. Or, rather, it would be if it had a hook.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #183 on: September 03, 2017, 10:40:40 AM
 :D

Those are some tasty looking cherry tomatoes. :cheers:

All hail the hook!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #184 on: September 03, 2017, 05:16:32 PM

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #185 on: September 04, 2017, 03:49:46 AM
Checked on the tomatoes today: the deer had come by and eaten them.  :rant:

But the PX was pressed into service in other ways today. Scissors got used to trim a torn fingernail. Blade was used to sharpen up a pencil. Large driver got used to tighten the screw on the lid of my wok (was using the wok to make popcorn.) and open a beer bottle. The larger degree of utility was just serving as a companion during a mundane day. What's not to like?

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #187 on: September 04, 2017, 05:26:46 AM
 :rofl:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #188 on: September 04, 2017, 05:31:35 AM
On his right is his Ruger .22 SAA; on his left is his PX  :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #189 on: September 04, 2017, 05:49:18 AM
Home on the range, pardna.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #190 on: September 04, 2017, 04:30:56 PM

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #191 on: September 05, 2017, 10:48:07 AM
I've been doing some thinking on my PX....

Having the blade replaced with a file. I really prefer carrying a quick opening knife with me along with my PX. For what I use a knife for, I need a bigger blade and one that is quicker to deploy and use.

Have you thought of anything like that?  Or are you happy with the existing blade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #192 on: September 05, 2017, 11:10:53 AM
I believe that the main blade on a 91mm can be replaced with a file or wood saw? :think:

All hail the hook!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #193 on: September 05, 2017, 12:07:31 PM
Great pics and great thread you have going on here :like: :like:

Also we have a few hidden smileys and all you have to do us type the right code and you will have a few extra :cheers: :like:

:nanadance: :bud: :doggy:

;) We have more than that but that is a good start :cheers:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #194 on: September 05, 2017, 12:22:15 PM
:tp:

:rofl:

All hail the hook!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #195 on: September 05, 2017, 12:53:10 PM

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #196 on: September 05, 2017, 01:05:39 PM
 :D

All hail the hook!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #197 on: September 05, 2017, 04:44:24 PM

Having the blade replaced with a file. ... Have you thought of anything like that?  Or are you happy with the existing blade?

Coincidentally, I was just thinking that there are only 7 days left in this challenge. It has flown by, like Summer itself.

Before this challenge, I would often carry a larger (4") locking blade knife along with a SAK. Or, I might have EDC'd a small fixed blade. However, during this challenge, I haven't felt the need for anything more than the PX. That may be in part due to the fact that I've been inside more (because of all the darn smoke), but may also be because I just don't need a larger knife. My reality is that I like to have a bigger knife with me, but I end up using the SAK for most everything I do. The times I really need a bigger knife are pretty darn rare. I will say a small fixed blade EDC is pretty handy, though hardly necessary. 

As a result of this challenge, I may just stop carrying larger knives (which brings up the question of what I'll do with that Buck 110 collection I've got going.....). You might try doing the 30-day challenge yourself and then re-evaluate your needs.  I think I'll probably give the 30-day Minimalist challenge a shot here at some point, just to really test the little SAK's and what I actually need.

With respect to your file or saw idea, I think that is a pretty cool idea. Wouldn't it be great to take a PX File on flights? But....I don't think a file or saw would fit into the space allotted for the knife blade. File and saws are straight, the knife blade has a cant to it, allowing it to fit next to the awlsome awl.

Moreover, I like the blade on the PX and the fact that I can carry it as a solo knife. It really has proven to be remarkably useful and capable. So, I might be tempted to get a PX File model (if it could be done) in addition to my PX Blade SAK, but I wouldn't replace the blade on this one with a different tool. There are few tools as handy as the ancient knife.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 04:46:06 PM by Nix »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #198 on: September 05, 2017, 04:50:48 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Having the blade replaced with a file. ... Have you thought of anything like that?  Or are you happy with the existing blade?

Coincidentally, I was just thinking that there are only 7 days left in this challenge. It has flown by, like Summer itself.

Before this challenge, I would often carry a larger (4") locking blade knife along with a SAK. Or, I might have EDC'd a small fixed blade. However, during this challenge, I haven't felt the need for anything more than the PX. That may be in part due to the fact that I've been inside more (because of all the darn smoke), but may also be because I just don't need a larger knife. My reality is that I like to have a bigger knife with me, but I end up using the SAK for most everything I do. The times I really need a bigger knife are pretty darn rare. I will say a small fixed blade EDC is pretty handy, though hardly necessary. 

As a result of this challenge, I may just stop carrying larger knives (which brings up the question of what I'll do with that Buck 110 collection I've got going.....). You might try doing the 30-day challenge yourself and then re-evaluate your needs.  I think I'll probably give the 30-day Minimalist challenge a shot here at some point, just to really test the little SAK's and what I actually need.

With respect to your file or saw idea, I think that is a pretty cool idea. Wouldn't it be great to take a PX File on flights? But....I don't think a file or saw would fit into the space allotted for the knife blade. File and saws are straight, the knife blade has a cant to it, allowing it to fit next to the awlsome awl.

Moreover, I like the blade on the PX and the fact that I can carry it as a solo knife. It really has proven to be remarkably useful and capable. So, I might be tempted to get a PX File model (if it could be done) in addition to my PX Blade SAK, but I wouldn't replace the blade on this one with a different tool. There are few tools as handy as the ancient knife.

(Image removed from quote.)
:whistle:
It's appears to be possible on 91mm at least. I wonder if the inline awl is the exact same thickness as the small blade?
Compilation of threads with useful info for bladeless SAK mods + related talk
Check back in a few weeks after I get some parts from syph in the post. :ahhh

All hail the hook!

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #199 on: September 05, 2017, 06:09:29 PM
I regularly carry only my Wenger SI, now replaced by the Pioneer X. I did a months challenge with that SI. I can easily live with it. But if I could replace the main blade on the PX with a file (even a finger nail file) I could carry a larger, more useful, knife like my Kershaw Clash or Cold Steel Finn Wolf.   Maybe even my Kershaw Whirlwind or Leatherman Crater C33X.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #200 on: September 05, 2017, 10:10:31 PM
The weather shifted for the better today and the smoke cleared out considerably. And it was relatively cool. So I was out the door like a shot and headed up into the hills for a short day hike. How glorious to be out in some fresh air!  :ahhh

Naturally the PX came along for the fun.

As much as I love the PX, I was thinking that for a hill ramble a Farmer or Camper with a saw blade might be handier in the woods than some scissors.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 10:11:33 PM by Nix »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #201 on: September 05, 2017, 10:13:20 PM

Check back in a few weeks after I get some parts from Syph in the post.

Snaps, or it didn't happen.  :pok:  :D

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #202 on: September 05, 2017, 10:15:11 PM

Check back in a few weeks after I get some parts from Syph in the post.

Snaps, or it didn't happen.  :pok:  :D
It hasn't happened yet.  :D

Yes, snaps when I do it.  :cheers:

All hail the hook!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #203 on: September 06, 2017, 04:59:01 PM

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 05:00:15 PM by Nix »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #204 on: September 06, 2017, 06:58:37 PM
Spoiler: PX worked, I failed....

I had it in mind to try starting a fire with a bow-drill (rubbing two sticks together) at some point in this challenge. I've never done this before, and it seemed like a fun thing to throw into a challenge. Yesterday, while coming back from a walk I saw a downed branch with a decent curve in it and I thought I'd give it a go.

I found a shoe lace and a bit of twine to use for a tinder bundle (such was my optimism). I did have some reservations about the type of wood I had picked up. This was a branch from some hard, twisty, knotted pine (Ponderosa Pine). Still, I thought it was worth a shot.

My plan was to make board, spindle, bearing block, and bow from the one branch. During this project, I missed the saw of the Farmer, but the PX main blade and awl did quite well.

So....it's hard to see the initial divots in the board & block. I used the awl to start the divots and then expanded the divot in the block with the main blade. Also used the main blade to level out the board and shape the spindle/drill (upside down in the picture!  :facepalm:).

The whole apparatus work fairly well--a slightly longer spindle would have been nice--but the woods just ended up polishing each other, creating no dust and little heat.  In the next picture, you can see a bright glint from the polished wood in the board's divot.

FAIL.

The PX performed outstandingly well. The awl was awlsome at drilling the divots and scraping out the board's divot. This was tough wood and the blade handled it fairly easily. Still quite sharp once I was done--a quick stropping brought it back to shaving sharp.

Lessons: The SAK is a great tool, a softer wood would likely work better, it would have been more prudent to select better individual pieces of wood to construct the various components, it's nice to have a saw when working with wood. I think this may have worked (better) with some different materials, so I'm in no way discouraged. While it was a FAIL, I do think I learned a bit from this exercise. Like always carry a lighter.  :rofl:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 06:59:55 PM by Nix »

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #205 on: September 06, 2017, 07:30:39 PM
Well.. Look at my signature ;-)

Awesome challenge to follow! I do carry my farmer more than my px.. But living in a house in the forest might set the rules

It's not failure if you learn something from it

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #206 on: September 07, 2017, 05:49:29 PM

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #207 on: September 07, 2017, 05:58:01 PM
Good bears.

All hail the hook!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #208 on: September 08, 2017, 05:34:08 AM
Used the awl on the PX to layout a new knife.

And with the help of the mighty Pioneer, a new knife is born....

No, I did not use the can opener to cut the knife free from it's bar stock. But I did use the small driver to remove the cover from the band saw when the blade jumped off the wheel.

I need a little feed back here. I won't finish making this knife until after the 30-day challenge is completed. I need to know if you guys want to see update pictures on the knife build, in this thread, after the challenge is completed. I suppose I could extend the challenge to include the knife build (a few weeks). If this is not a matter of interest and/or you're tired of seeing this thread bump up to the top of the queue endlessly, I'll just stop in a timely and dignified manner and let the thread fade away. Either way, let me know. Thanks.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #209 on: September 08, 2017, 05:43:33 AM
Post the pics here. Be fine with me!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31