Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pioneer X, 30 day challenge

Nix · 265 · 11429

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Re: Pioneer X, 30 day challenge
Reply #30 on: August 14, 2017, 09:06:20 PM
I have tried carrying four layer SAKs and don't like them in my pocket. The SI is perfect but the added scissors would be nice.

I have been planning on getting an X but don't want Silver. So I have been very patiently watching here and eBay and other places for something not so boring to show up.

I have a black Pioneer that I think looks better than the boring Silver of my SI, but the bail is why I love my SI. I just hate the key ring nub on these SAKs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #31 on: August 14, 2017, 09:20:38 PM
I think that is why I don't have a Pioneer, but have a couple of Soldiers. I'm not a big fan of the key ring nub. I have filed/ground off a few key ring nubs from standard SAK's.

Note that the Swiss Bianco Pioneer X does not have a key ring attachment (My standard Victorinox Silver Pioneer X does have the key ring). Swiss Bianco's are more expensive (a bit too expensive if ya ask me), but I've collected a few because of the colors and lack of key rings.

Now, let me be a bit hypocritical and say that for many SAK's I do like to add a lanyard for extra retention security. Especially on SAK's that will go on outdoor pursuits. I'm kinda curious about this challenge and how I'll feel about NOT having a lanyard on this particular knife fro an entire month. There's a pro & con with every feature.

(An, hey, Silver isn't boring. Silver is the color for purists.  :pok:)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:21:41 PM by Nix »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: August 15, 2017, 12:49:18 AM
Started a little sewing project this afternoon. Man, oh, man did the PX come in handy, from adjusting the machine to sharpening the fabric marker.

Why the Pioneer X? Because....scissors.

This is why every man, woman, and child needs one of these.

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #33 on: August 15, 2017, 12:59:18 AM
Go Nix go!  :like: :cheers:

:popcorn:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: August 15, 2017, 02:38:36 AM
Excellent pics and great thread :salute: :like: :like:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #35 on: August 15, 2017, 04:24:25 AM
I think that is why I don't have a Pioneer, but have a couple of Soldiers. I'm not a big fan of the key ring nub. I have filed/ground off a few key ring nubs from standard SAK's.

Note that the Swiss Bianco Pioneer X does not have a key ring attachment (My standard Victorinox Silver Pioneer X does have the key ring). Swiss Bianco's are more expensive (a bit too expensive if ya ask me), but I've collected a few because of the colors and lack of key rings.

Now, let me be a bit hypocritical and say that for many SAK's I do like to add a lanyard for extra retention security. Especially on SAK's that will go on outdoor pursuits. I'm kinda curious about this challenge and how I'll feel about NOT having a lanyard on this particular knife fro an entire month. There's a pro & con with every feature.

(An, hey, Silver isn't boring. Silver is the color for purists.  :pok: )

Excuse the n00b question: what features do a Swiss Bianco Pioneer X have over the regular ones?

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: August 15, 2017, 04:46:10 AM
Excuse the n00b question: what features do a Swiss Bianco Pioneer X have over the regular ones?

Ahhh, my friend, you have confused me with an expect. And I am not.

However, having captured one of each species, to my eye the only difference is the presence of a key ring. I can't tell you which I prefer quite yet.

The standard Victorinox comes in the awesome silver Alox, whereas with the SwissBianco model, you are forced to choose from a number of flamboyant colors.  ;)

Naturally I think you need one of each.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 04:47:36 AM by Nix »

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #37 on: August 15, 2017, 04:51:00 AM

Ahhh, my friend, you have confused me with an expect. And I am not.

However, having captured one of each species, to my eye the only difference is the presence of a key ring. I can't tell you which I prefer quite yet.

(Image removed from quote.)

The standard Victorinox comes in the awesome silver Alox, whereas with the SwissBianco model, you are forced to choose from a number of flamboyant colors.  ;)

Naturally I think you need one of each.

Naturally!  :rofl:

So SB provides custom colors and removes an item. Got it!  I wish those colors are more scratch-resistant than the regular colors.  :)

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #38 on: August 15, 2017, 11:02:39 AM

So SB provides custom colors and removes an item. Got it!  I wish those colors are more scratch-resistant than the regular colors.  :)

I like that SB gets rid of the ugly keyring. I hate the keyring on the alox SAKs. I wished Victorinox didn't use the keyring on the alox knives, especially on limited editions like my Damascus Pioneer X.
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #39 on: August 15, 2017, 11:10:47 AM

I like that SB gets rid of the ugly keyring. I hate the keyring on the alox SAKs. I wished Victorinox didn't use the keyring on the alox knives, especially on limited editions like my Damascus Pioneer X.

I must admit that I have always associated SAKs as having keyrings and only recently realized that quite a number of old ones didnt. Im still getting used to the appearance of keyring-less SAKs  ???
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 11:18:32 AM by an0nemus »

Reply #40 on: August 15, 2017, 11:16:27 AM

I must admit that I have always associated SAKs as having keyrings and only recently realized that quite a number of old ones didnt. Im still getting used to the appearance of of keyring-less SAKs  ???

I do like having key rings on the cellidor models, but on the alox models I think not having a keyring makes it so much more elegant. The first alox models (back in the 50's and 60's) didn't have keyrings, they either had one hollow rivet (in which you can fit a bail), or nothing at all.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 11:17:39 AM by glenfiddich1983 »

^-- where the cat sits

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #41 on: August 15, 2017, 11:20:11 AM

I must admit that I have always associated SAKs as having keyrings and only recently realized that quite a number of old ones didnt. Im still getting used to the appearance of of keyring-less SAKs  ???

I do like having key rings on the cellidor models, but on the alox models I think not having a keyring makes it so much more elegant. The first alox models (back in the 50's and 60's) didn't have keyrings, they either had one hollow rivet (in which you can fit a bail), or nothing at all.

...and that bail thing, its only in this forum and this month when I learned what a bail is. But I'm still debating if I like it or not on a SAK as I associate it with old American Boy Scout pocket knives or old US Army pocket knives  :think:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: August 15, 2017, 02:37:50 PM

Headed out for a brief car camping trip.....once Mrs Nix wakes up and packs......PX in pocket and sharp!

Hope to post new pics tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 02:42:22 PM by Nix »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: August 15, 2017, 05:17:54 PM
Used the cap lifter to remove the hub caps from the trailer. Had to grease the hubs before heading out!

Such a useful tool. Caps are rubber and a bit delicate, the edge of the cap lifter is perfect for gently prying them off.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: August 16, 2017, 09:36:36 PM

So, camping, I guess I imagined I'd use the PX quite a bit. That was not the case. Only used it to open some instant coffee, otherwise it just rode along in my pocket. It was a low-key day and all the food was made in advance. We didn't light a fire, the air was already too smoky from regional wild fires. So, there wasn't much call for a knife...or for anything more than a folding chair.  :D

Gratuitous knife shot from the lake:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: August 17, 2017, 12:48:13 AM
#becausesak

But seriously, I love using a SAK cap lifter to open pistachios, especially those little buggers that aren't fully opened.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #46 on: August 17, 2017, 08:55:49 AM

So, camping, I guess I imagined I'd use the PX quite a bit. That was not the case. Only used it to open some instant coffee, otherwise it just rode along in my pocket. It was a low-key day and all the food was made in advance. We didn't light a fire, the air was already too smoky from regional wild fires. So, there wasn't much call for a knife...or for anything more than a folding chair.  :D

Gratuitous knife shot from the lake:

rode in your pocket? No sheath? Isn't a 93mm SAK too long to just lie down horizontally?  ???

Reply #47 on: August 17, 2017, 09:06:04 AM
Some really nice pictures here!  :like:

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: August 17, 2017, 04:13:03 PM
Thanks, guys!  :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: August 17, 2017, 04:41:47 PM
Getting a dough started this morning for some flat breads (to be baked on the grill this evening). Opening the flour bag seemed to call for a sharp tool....

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: August 17, 2017, 05:05:59 PM

rode in your pocket? No sheath? Isn't a 93mm SAK too long to just lie down horizontally?  ???

My idea for a sheath is on hold. But, really, carrying a 1,2, or 3 layer 93mm Alox SAK doesn't seem to be a big deal to me. The slimmer & lighter Soldier is a bit more convenient and comfortable, but the Pioneer X has proven to be a fairly straight forward carry. Only once has somebody asked me "Is that a SAK in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

Today is lawn mowing day. Normally I'd wear shorts without pockets and a Cadet or Farmer on a neck chain during grass cutting (and weeding). Since I'm in the middle of this challenge, I wearing shorts with deep pockets and the PX is pulling grounds-keeping duty.   :salute:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #51 on: August 17, 2017, 06:08:22 PM

My idea for a sheath is on hold. But, really, carrying a 1,2, or 3 layer 93mm Alox SAK doesn't seem to be a big deal to me. The slimmer & lighter Soldier is a bit more convenient and comfortable, but the Pioneer X has proven to be a fairly straight forward carry. Only once has somebody asked me "Is that a SAK in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

Today is lawn mowing day. Normally I'd wear shorts without pockets and a Cadet or Farmer on a neck chain during grass cutting (and weeding). Since I'm in the middle of this challenge, I wearing shorts with deep pockets and the PX is pulling grounds-keeping duty.   :salute:
Thanks, Nix. I guess big guys can pocket carry a PX easily while those with smaller stature will prefer smaller ones. Or maybe the thinness compared to cellidor doesn't matter much.

I'm enjoying your daily posts

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #52 on: August 17, 2017, 11:08:54 PM
Thank you, Sir.  :salute:

The PX was pressed into service again today to fix a night stand drawer. Mrs Nix notice the handle was loose (falling off) and a cursory inspection revealed that a Philips head screw was loose. While the PX does not have a dedicated Philips driver, the can opener (can we rename that to be the "can do'er"?) served to re-affix the loose screw and tighten the other. Disaster averted, SAK bestowed with glory!

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:11:02 PM by Nix »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: August 18, 2017, 02:08:56 AM
Earlier I mentioned that I used the PX to open a bag of flour in the process of making some dough for flat breads. This is a sourdough recipe based--loosely--on an Indian Naan recipe. Here's what flatbread #4 looked like just before being pulled off the grill.

Thank you, SAK.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #54 on: August 18, 2017, 05:12:04 AM
Pet Peeve: Those little finger holes on the milk cartons.

The Hack: using your SAK hook....or.....can opener to grab the tab and assist in accessing your dairy goodness.

I have fairly large hands and fingers, so these little pull tabs on dairy containers can be a nuisance. I've found that I can use just about any tool to lift the pull tabs, but my favorite are the parcel hook, can opener, and Alox reamer.

#becausesak

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: August 18, 2017, 05:14:08 AM
...I guess big guys can pocket carry a PX easily while those with smaller stature will prefer smaller ones. Or maybe the thinness compared to cellidor doesn't matter much.

You've inspired me to work-up a nylon or cordura sheath. Give me a little time to think this through.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Pioneer X, 30 day challenge
Reply #56 on: August 18, 2017, 05:43:27 AM
...I guess big guys can pocket carry a PX easily while those with smaller stature will prefer smaller ones. Or maybe the thinness compared to cellidor doesn't matter much.

You've inspired me to work-up a nylon or cordura sheath. Give me a little time to think this through.

Yes!!!!

But leather is MUCH better!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #57 on: August 19, 2017, 12:49:33 AM

Didn't use the PX at all, all day. I was out hunting for suitable sheath materials, but haven't settled on anything yet. More to come on that project....

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #58 on: August 19, 2017, 01:34:17 AM
Some really great pics :like: :like:

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #59 on: August 19, 2017, 01:42:28 AM
Does that Swiss Bianco logo ever bother you? I have been tempted to order their uniquely colored SAKs on more than one occasion but that silly logo always turned me off.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%