Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pioneer X, 30 day challenge

Nix · 265 · 11426

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Pioneer X, 30 day challenge
Reply #60 on: August 19, 2017, 01:52:32 AM
Does that Swiss Bianco logo ever bother you? I have been tempted to order their uniquely colored SAKs on more than one occasion but that silly logo always turned me off.

Yes. I don't like it. Obviously I got it from SwissBianco and it's honest in that way, but I'd have preferred a less intrusive +B somewhere on the knife or even scales. I don't like the way the logo screams "+B Swiss Bianco".

Nevertheless, I really enjoy the knife. As an alternative, I could have gotten a second Silver Alox Pioneer X and ground the key chain attachment off. Would have been cheaper, too. But...I like the green and I'm getting used to the mad, screaming logo on the blade.

Earlier +B's did not have that logo on the blade. ***sigh***
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 01:53:34 AM by Nix »

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #61 on: August 19, 2017, 11:27:29 AM
Does that Swiss Bianco logo ever bother you? I have been tempted to order their uniquely colored SAKs on more than one occasion but that silly logo always turned me off.

Yes. I don't like it. Obviously I got it from SwissBianco and it's honest in that way, but I'd have preferred a less intrusive +B somewhere on the knife or even scales. I don't like the way the logo screams "+B Swiss Bianco".

Nevertheless, I really enjoy the knife. As an alternative, I could have gotten a second Silver Alox Pioneer X and ground the key chain attachment off. Would have been cheaper, too. But...I like the green and I'm getting used to the mad, screaming logo on the blade.

Earlier +B's did not have that logo on the blade. ***sigh***
Indeed, my +B Carver SW is logo-less. But now there's no way tot tell it apart from a homebrew mod.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 11:30:48 AM by Ronald Schröder »

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #62 on: August 19, 2017, 01:52:54 PM
This is exactly why I stopped ordering.  I won't purchase a blade that has so much lettering on it like that.

I understand that Victorinox requires him to do this, but they lost me as a customer because of it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #63 on: August 19, 2017, 03:08:39 PM

Very smoky today. The air is a choking blue haze, the sun a sullen red orb over the mountains. Good day to be inside.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #64 on: August 19, 2017, 05:15:40 PM
Breakfast!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #65 on: August 20, 2017, 12:21:28 AM
PX was super-useful today. Used it for everything from adjusting the sewing machine to cutting thread to opening beer. Just an awesome little tool to have in the pocket.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #66 on: August 20, 2017, 02:19:14 AM
Some awesome pics Nix :cheers: :like: :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #67 on: August 20, 2017, 02:22:56 AM
Gracias!  :salute:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #68 on: August 20, 2017, 02:42:00 AM
That seems like a nice beer to drink while watching Game of Thrones  :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #69 on: August 20, 2017, 02:44:12 AM
(It's a good beer for any occasion.  ;))

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #70 on: August 20, 2017, 03:07:36 PM

I figured I'd start wanting to carry another knife by this point. I usually carry different knife every day or two. Sometimes, depending on what I'm doing, I'll carry different pocket knives in the course of the same day. Cadet to work, Spartan for an evening walk. And I imagined that after a week of carrying just one knife I'd start to become restless and long for other models or knives, but so far that's not the case. If anything, I'm becoming more attached to this PX. I thought I'd never be able to go the SAKMC path, but maybe these guys are on to something.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: August 20, 2017, 04:26:41 PM
SAKMC =:tu:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #72 on: August 20, 2017, 05:13:12 PM
SAKMC = :tu:

FTFY.  :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: August 20, 2017, 09:07:36 PM
SAKMC = :tu:

FTFY.  :tu:

Thanks for the fix!  I'm always on Tapatalk and those don't show up anyway. LOL

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #74 on: August 20, 2017, 11:56:54 PM
SAK Sheath Project

I think this will end up being a long post. In the first place, I can be a bit wordy, and in the second, there’s a lot to cover.

Let me restart by saying that I have sewn anything (aside from a bandana last week) for 12 years or more. I’ve probably done some things that are wrong. I’ve definitely done some of the worst sewing ever on this project. Nevertheless, it turned out pretty well…in a homemade way.

Please don’t consider this a tutorial. I probably didn’t need to say that, if you actually read the rest of the post. It’s kinda obvious that I'm not a sewing instructor. But do consider making your own sheath. This was fun, and seemed like a good project to throw into a SAK 30-day challenge.

I used a sewing machine. You don’t need one. This probably would have turned out better if I had sewn it by hand. So you can do this or better (trust me, yours will likely be better). And you can make a sheath to meet your needs and your design….

DESIGN

I wanted to make….well, I wanted to make a leather sheath, but my Pioneer X (PX) doesn’t have a sewing awl, so that was right out. Still, I could use the PX to help make a nylon sheath.

So, nylon was my starting point.

One of the things I wanted to do with my sheath was to be able to wear it around my neck. I sometimes do garden chores in shorts without pockets, and I really like a neck knife. I also like to kayak, and I always wear a neck knife when kayaking. A neck lanyard was required.

Some people use paracord for neck lanyards. I think this is a really bad idea. Paracord doesn’t break. If it gets caught on something it can turn into a noose and choke you to death. The military taught me to use breakaway chains when keeping stuff around your neck, so a chain it would be.

This meant metal grommets.

I also wanted a flap to secure the knife. I like open top sheaths that have a tight fit and a lot of friction, by nylon needs a way to secure the knife (or any item). A secure flap seemed to be the answer.

So there you have it, my design requirements: nylon, flap, grommets. That’s where I started drawing.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #75 on: August 20, 2017, 11:58:30 PM
MATERIALS

I had looked for new materials, something like Cordura, but I couldn’t find a suitable material for a sheath at local stores. Then I settled on taking a more MacGyver approach and decided to use ‘re-purposed’ materials.

I had an old military dufle bag (A Bag) and thought it would make a fine donor item. I had a few grommets in the garage. Should be simple, right?

The PX was fabulous for dissecting the bag. The awl makes an excellent seam ripper and the scissors made short work of the nylon. To my surprise, I could ‘push cut’ the nylon with the scissors. Very nice. 

So, after dismantling the bag and cutting everything out, I had the parts I needed:

Back panel (with integral flap), front panel, handle (for belt loop), a snap set, and some tape to tape the edges.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #76 on: August 21, 2017, 12:00:56 AM
ASSEMBLY

I started by sewing the belt loop on to the back panel.

The handle was a bit twisted from years of use and I didn’t get it set straight. Not a big deal.

Next I sewed the bottom half of the snap to the front panel—there wouldn’t be time to do this later! The snap played havoc with the sewing machine. A competent sewer would have done a neater job, but I got the snap good and attached.

As you can see I formed the pocket for the knife using the front panel.  I ran a line of stitching across the front panel to secure the pocket. Then sewed the front panel to the back. Seemed like a good time to add the top half of the snap, that went a bit better. By my standards.

Knife fits!

Last few touches: edges got trimmed up, sides and bottom were taped, and grommets were added.

Tested on belt:

And test on neck chain:

CONCLUSIONS

Well, I really like the sheath. It may be ugly, but it is comfortable both on the belt and hung from the neck. And, perhaps most important, the knife is really secure.

Some of the rough look is due to using re-purposed materials, but predominantly the sheath’s faults are due to my lack of skill. Some elements might have turned out better if I had hand-sewn them.

The concepts here are pretty straight forward, and I think anyone could find some suitable materials to use to construct a basic sheath. And it was fun. Give sheath making a try!

I’m happy to answer any questions on this, but keep in mind, I’m a complete amateur. As I think you can tell.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #77 on: August 21, 2017, 12:13:29 AM
Nice! Actually seems pretty good.  :tu:
You've got me thinking of making one now.  :think: :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #78 on: August 21, 2017, 12:41:43 AM
Thanks. I never made a sheath for a SAK before. I encourage you to give one a try.

I have an idea for an even simpler sheath now......

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #79 on: August 21, 2017, 03:36:54 AM
Started a little sewing project this afternoon. Man, oh, man did the PX come in handy, from adjusting the machine to sharpening the fabric marker.

(Image removed from quote.)

Why the Pioneer X? Because....scissors.

This is why every man, woman, and child needs one of these.
My Swiss Seamstress has a sewing machine built in it.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #80 on: August 21, 2017, 03:39:56 AM
I was just looking over the Victorinox website; I can't find that model!!!!  :rant:

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #81 on: August 21, 2017, 10:49:40 AM
...can we rename that to be the "can do'er"?

I second that!  :D

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #82 on: August 21, 2017, 01:04:22 PM
ASSEMBLY

The handle was a bit twisted from years of use and I didn’t get it set straight. Not a big deal.

Next I sewed the bottom half of the snap to the front panel—there wouldn’t be time to do this later! The snap played havoc with the sewing machine. A competent sewer would have done a neater job, but I got the snap good and attached.

As you can see I formed the pocket for the knife using the front panel.  I ran a line of stitching across the front panel to secure the pocket. Then sewed the front panel to the back. Seemed like a good time to add the top half of the snap, that went a bit better. By my standards.

Knife fits!

Last few touches: edges got trimmed up, sides and bottom were taped, and grommets were added.

Tested on belt:

And test on neck chain:

CONCLUSIONS

Well, I really like the sheath. It may be ugly, but it is comfortable both on the belt and hung from the neck. And, perhaps most important, the knife is really secure.

Some of the rough look is due to using re-purposed materials, but predominantly the sheath’s faults are due to my lack of skill. Some elements might have turned out better if I had hand-sewn them.

The concepts here are pretty straight forward, and I think anyone could find some suitable materials to use to construct a basic sheath. And it was fun. Give sheath making a try!

I’m happy to answer any questions on this, but keep in mind, I’m a complete amateur. As I think you can tell.

Coooool! I like how rugged the sheath looks like for the elegant PX  :like: :salute: :tu:

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #83 on: August 21, 2017, 04:12:05 PM
ASSEMBLY

Knife fits!

Tested on belt:

And test on neck chain:

CONCLUSIONS

I like that!!! Good job!

Looks very durable. Like seatbelt material.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #84 on: August 21, 2017, 04:31:16 PM

Thanks for the kind feedback, guys. I'll report back on the sheath after using it a bit more.  :salute:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #85 on: August 21, 2017, 09:53:12 PM
Is it possible to eclipse the SAK Pioneer X?

Apparently not.

I tried to get a shot of our 93% eclipse here, but the iPhone doesn't seem to have a "Solar Eclipse" mode.

I rigged up a pin-hole projector and was able to capture a tiny image (look closely):

Happy Eclipse day!  :cheers:

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: August 21, 2017, 10:16:13 PM
Nice!  Well done!!

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: August 21, 2017, 10:59:29 PM
Nice pics! This is a real treat to follow!

It's not failure if you learn something from it

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #88 on: August 21, 2017, 11:31:29 PM
Is it possible to eclipse the SAK Pioneer X?

Apparently not.

I tried to get a shot of our 93% eclipse here, but the iPhone doesn't seem to have a "Solar Eclipse" mode.

I rigged up a pin-hole projector and was able to capture a tiny image (look closely):

Happy Eclipse day!  :cheers:

Creative shots, Nix  :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #89 on: August 22, 2017, 12:31:41 AM
Thanks, guy!   :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!