Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pioneer X, 30 day challenge

Nix · 265 · 11891

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Pioneer X, 30 day challenge
Reply #90 on: August 22, 2017, 05:04:04 PM

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #91 on: August 22, 2017, 06:32:13 PM
 :rant: So, I have a 'pet peeve'. Well, I probably have several, but I was reminded of this particular 'pet peeve' this morning. 

I find most, nearly all, take-away coffee cups have lids with very small vent holes. These tiny pin holes may easily become occluded, thereby creating a slight vacuum pressure when the tasty, hot beverage contained within is being consumed. This vacuum pressure may create erratic beverage flow and interfere with the consumer's enjoyment of his or her overpriced treat. I just don't understand why lid manufacturers--yeah, I'm calling you out SOLO--don't make a large hole or one with a shape less likely to become blocked. It would be just too easy. And I have come across at least one disposable lid with improved engineering details that eliminated this vacuum problem. So it can be done. But it isn't.  :rant:

Fortunately, a remedy is close at hand, probably in your pocket right now!

While any blade can be employed to reconfigure a lid venting system for improved performance, I find the awl or the reamer to be an excellent, reliable, and safe tool for remediation of poor venting design. The awl or reamer is typically used in a highly intuitive manner and with little wasted energy or effort. What's more, the awl design creates a multidimensional venting system that is resistant to obstruction.

As fellow SAK owner's, I'm sure this is nothing new to y'awl. I'm sure, in times of vacuum pressure dysfunction crisis, y'awl instinctively reach for that most perfect of tools to solve yet another of Life's little issues. However, I would encourage you, as a public service, worthy of the chivalric code of a Swiss Army Knight, to help educate the SAK-less citizenry in our midst. We do not need to be the victims of poor design, engineering, and manufacturing. We have Swiss Army Knives!

Rant over....  :whistle:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 06:35:25 PM by Nix »

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #92 on: August 22, 2017, 11:25:23 PM
Now that's a real good use for the awlmighty Awl  :salute: :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #93 on: August 23, 2017, 04:12:10 AM
Excellent pics in this challenge :like: :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #94 on: August 23, 2017, 04:24:06 PM

Good start to the day!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #95 on: August 23, 2017, 04:50:33 PM
I was responding to the 58mm thread and was reminded that I have missed my Classic during this challenge. I thought for completeness I should restate those thoughts in this challenge thread.
Forgive the redundancy.

In brief: I like pairing a Classic SD or Rambler (celidor models) with my Alox SAK's. I really value the T&T and the nail file--I seem to do things that cause my fingernails to chip and tear. The combination of an easy to carry 58mm knife with T&T and an Alox knife provides a much bigger range of tools and capabilities in a very easy to carry package.

Now that I think about this, a couple of days ago I had a torn nail. Whereas I may have just pulled out a Classic and repaired it, I had to hunt up a nail clipper and file to smooth it out. Small matter, in this case, but it does illustrate one of the limitations of the Pioneer X as a solo EDC.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #96 on: August 23, 2017, 08:55:51 PM
Kimchi Dog with chiles for lunch!

I would normally use a kitchen knife for this task But, hey, it's a 30-day challenge, so why not?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 09:02:55 PM by Nix »

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #97 on: August 24, 2017, 03:15:52 PM
I have to say (or "I declare!" as they say here in the South, USA), I'm really enjoying this thread. I don't have a Pioneer X but my Deluxe Tinker and my Craftsman have all these tools so it's nice to see the tools in use. Can't help but learn something watching someone improvise in a situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #98 on: August 24, 2017, 05:10:17 PM

I have to say (or "I declare!" as they say here in the South, USA), I'm really enjoying this thread.

Thank you, Sir!  :salute:

The PX is off to a good start today. Already served in a personal grooming role (read: trimmed mustache.) and the awl was used to remove that annoying plastic "safety" seal from a bottle of hot sauce. Obviously good hot sauce is critical for morning eggs, so you could say that the PX has now served in an emergency response role.

And the day is yet young!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #99 on: August 24, 2017, 07:18:36 PM

I've been wearing the homemade sheath, mostly on my belt, for a couple days now and it has worked out well so far. It is a little bit oversized and this got me thinking.... :think:...would a small flashlight fit alongside the PX?   Yes....:tu: 

And not too snug....so why not add the world's smallest survival kit/first aid kit (FAK)?

Contents:

Note that I put a couple of safety pins under the flap. Safety pins are hugely useful for all sorts of emergency and first aid situations. Unfortunately these will rust with extended use and exposure, but, they could easily be replaced as needed. I try to keep a safety pin with me at all times. You never know when a wardrobe malfunction may occur.  :facepalm:

The rest of the stuff is a bit more questionable, but could prove to be useful, even lifesaving (from the top, left to right):

1. Victorinox Pioneer X by Swissbianco. Needs no explanation, after all this is the primary reason for the sheath.
2. Paraffin wax impregnated jute twine, 16". Could be used as a shoelace replacement or repair. Better yet wax impregnated jute makes a fantastic tinder for fire lighting, even in the rain. 16" is enough to light 3-4 fires.
3. Ferrocerium 'flint'. Works fairly well with the awl to start a fire, especially with jute twine tinder.
4. Fenix AAA flashlight. Can be used to navigate at night, find lost stuff under the cabinets, or as an emergency signalling device. Another hugely useful item to EDC.
5. Iodine prep pad. Great little FAK item to clean and disinfect small wounds. Not that you'd ever cut yourself with a SAK... :-[...but somebody else might.
6. Alcohol prep pad. Another way to clean a wound or degrease a small item or body part. Alcohol wipes also make nice fire starters.
7. Butterfly wound closures, two (2). These are like quick and easy sutures for a nasty cut. (Safety pins can be used the same way.  ;)). Not that you'd ever cut yourself....
8. Band-aid. ...I think we've covered this.....
9. Antibiotic ointment. This is somewhat optional in my mind, but if you were wounded and couldn't get to help for a couple days, this might be nice to have. Since it's petroleum based, it can also be used to make a small candle or fire starter.
10. Diphenhydramine, two (2) tablets, 25mg each. A nice antihistamine. This could be a lifesaver for someone would is at risk for anaphylactic shock and forgot their EpiPen.
11. Water purification tablets, two (2). Well, you need a water bottle or container of some sort, but then these could prevent dehydration from getting worse, if you know what I mean....
12. Tiny plastic bag. Too small to be a useful water container, but with a little imagination it might be useful.

Stuff not included but worthy of consideration: condom (multiple uses, e.g. water container), needle and thread, fish hooks and mono-filament, hurricane matches, fresnel lens, mirror, tin foil..... wow the list is endless.

So, with the PX, light, and FAK the sheath is a bit overstuffed. It works but I'm thinking of revising the contents. I definitely like having the safety pins and small light. And band-aid...in case someone else cuts themselves.

I had fun thinking about this little kit and decided to post it up here as part of my challenge. Just some food for thought. Let me know what you think and how you might change the sheath or contents. I'll continue to evaluate the sheath and post reviews during the rest of the challenge.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #100 on: August 24, 2017, 10:19:22 PM
What's the use of such a small rubber water container?  :think: :whistle:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #101 on: August 24, 2017, 10:30:54 PM
Sorry, I buy x-large.   :whistle:

(But actually, the standard prophylactic can hold a surprising amount of water, up to 1-2 Liters.)

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #102 on: August 24, 2017, 10:31:06 PM

A water balloon, silly.  :D

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #103 on: August 24, 2017, 10:38:01 PM
Sorry, I buy x-large.   :whistle:

(But actually, the standard prophylactic can hold a surprising amount of water, up to 1-2 Liters.)
Wow, that much?  :ahhh :ahhh

A water balloon, silly.  :D
Adult water balloon party anyone? :D

All hail the hook!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #104 on: August 25, 2017, 04:35:19 PM

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #105 on: August 25, 2017, 07:37:34 PM
Yet another coffee disaster averted.....

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #106 on: August 26, 2017, 12:27:19 AM
It was a beverage management day for the PX.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #107 on: August 26, 2017, 06:17:01 AM
I am always poking the hole bigger in my hot beverage lids with my 93mm awls too!  :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #108 on: August 26, 2017, 06:38:37 AM
The 93mm awl is the perfect tool for this job. The 91mm awl is perfectly acceptable if given a slight twist after being poked in.  :-\

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #109 on: August 26, 2017, 03:31:04 PM

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #110 on: August 26, 2017, 09:17:38 PM
I am always poking the hole bigger...
That's what she said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #111 on: August 27, 2017, 01:15:12 AM
 :oops: Oh nooooo!

PX fail!

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #112 on: August 27, 2017, 03:52:08 AM
:oops: Oh nooooo!

PX fail!

Someone on reddit once told me you could open a bottle of wine with the SAK can opener by stabbing it in there and twisting it around. I haven't had an opportunity to test this yet, but it looks like you are in a position to do so. For science!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #113 on: August 27, 2017, 04:28:46 AM
Briefly contemplated that, GD, but then chickened out and went the more conventional route. Dinner was waiting!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #114 on: August 27, 2017, 04:25:42 PM
You know what you need to do now, right?  :D

All hail the hook!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #115 on: August 27, 2017, 04:29:27 PM
 :drink: ?

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #116 on: August 27, 2017, 04:33:51 PM

My thoughts go out to the residents of South Texas. It'd be nice if they could be foolin' around with SAK's instead of struggling to cope with Hurricane Harvey.

At the half-way mark of the challenge. It has been fun. If there were a SAK to tempt me to the monogamy side, it would be this PX. ....or a Climber.....or that fabulous Cadet. Plus a Classic. Naturally.

For a semi-urban EDC, I think the PX has been excellent, getting used most days of the week for various little tasks. And every tool has come in handy at least once. So, so far, so good. And I'm looking forward to the rest of the challenge!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 04:35:02 PM by Nix »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #117 on: August 27, 2017, 05:26:50 PM
:drink: ?
Buy another (cheap) bottle, and try to take out the cork with a can opener.  :pok: :D

All hail the hook!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #118 on: August 27, 2017, 06:20:51 PM
Yeah, I may do that. It is a challenge after all. Where there's a will there's a way, eh?

But, in the meantime......

Chicken and Lentils!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #119 on: August 27, 2017, 10:55:33 PM
Tired-Yeti inspired me to revise my briefcase FAK. I made a new case for the FAK using some scraps of material I had on hand. The PX was very useful during this project: cutting fabric & thread, cutting the cord for the zipper pull, and adjusting the sewing machine. (It's a Swiss sewing machine and not surprisingly, the large flat driver is perfect for a couple of the screws.)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%