Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Up and beyond the call of duty, or aka, I broke it!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Up and beyond the call of duty, or aka, I broke it!
on: August 14, 2017, 01:13:25 PM
If you've ever broken a tool on your SAK, post about it here!  :pok:

My story:
Yesterday was busy.... Car Boot sale, finishing up and testing a Lynn Lefey can stovetm, a spot of gardening, dremeling a slot in a 1/4 bit, and oh yeah, I twisted the bottle opener tip of my bladeless Woodsman trying to loosen rusty screws.  :facepalm:

I got off lucky, the twist was very slight and just on the very tip, and I have since un-twisted it.

The circumstances; I needed to unscrew a bracket from wood, but the screws had been there since the last ice age, in a country where it pours cats 'n dogs every second day, and were very rusty and tight.
So tight, that after I realized that the bottle opener wasn't going to cut it, I took to a 12" slip joint wrench, and it was still slow going.  :facepalm:
(Exaggeration. I later loosened similar screws with sturdy 5" blunt pliers)

That incident made me think. Is the tip of my bottle opener weaker now due to metal fatigue? :-\ :shrug:
The bend was slight enough that it might not be noticed unless you looked, and the bottle opener still closed normally.

Oh, and this bottle opener was made in the early 80's. Could that be a factor?

And why did I even try this in the first place?
Because I thought that the 20 Nm breaking point of Mr.Whippys' bottle opener test meant that I could never break it by hand.  :think:

Oh, and remember what I said about posting here about your broken/twisted tools!  :poke:  :pok:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Up and beyond the call of duty, or aka, I broke it!
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 01:31:54 PM
I'm a responisble young man... I never broke a tool on a SAK.
I did repair issues mentioned by you on other people's SAKs (mainly my brother in law's) but the only broken SAKs in my collection were bought that way and repaired by Vic.

Bad Pablo! :twak:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 01:37:16 PM
Yes, that tool will be potentially weaker for having been deformed twice already.

Sorry, I don't have any abuse pics, as I tend to have a good sense of the limits of tools. The only failures I've had are stuff like springs failing, or failures from production defects. I don't think I've ever wrecked a multitool through misuse/abuse

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 01:42:26 PM
Ohh that's a drag mate...  :-\

The only damage i ever made to a Sak wasn't exactly to the tool, but to the pin and liner, was on my first Super Tinker's Phillips taking a PC tower apart, pin and liner got bent a little. That's why i don't trust that Phillips anymore for any tasks other than very light torque duties like screws on plastic stuff or similar or loose ones. The bottle opener will take a bit more toque but it also has it's limits...

I also always use regular tools (real SD or others) first when ever i have them available. I really only use the Sak as a SD when ever i haven´t got the real thing available or for light to medium duty stuff on daily casual situations. I would only really risk using (or abusing) a Sak for really heavy duty stuff in an emergency situation when there was no other real tool available and no other way.

Otherwise, if it's way too tight for Sak use and i'll risk damage, and if it can wait, i'll just grab proper tools when i have them and do the job another time...  :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 01:50:39 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 01:47:17 PM
Pabs old fruit, I am recommending you do a term at 'SAK school' a school for naughty SAK abusers. You will be shown the error of your ways and given a practise SAK (wooden stick) to carry until you improve your understanding of 'tolerances' and 'misuse'. Until such time as you pass your SAKxams to prove you are competent to carry a SAK, your collection will be held on your behalf (by me). I will  pm you my address.

All I have to add is Tut tut. :twak:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 02:13:23 PM
Before you heap more abuse on me, I ran a little stress test  :ahhh

That wood is HARD, and I could feel the SAK itself flexing slightly. I was using the bottle opener at 90 degrees and had a good grip. The screw is an inch long, roughly. I'll let you make your own conclusions, but my faith in this particular bottle opener is restored. It appears to be still fit for duty.  :salute:

I'm so very sorry for abusing my precious...  :cry:
I'll never do it again, please don't take precious away...

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 02:19:40 PM
It's only temporary (hopefully) until you graduate SAK school Pabs hun. I'll take great care of it. I have never broken a SAK.  :pok:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 02:26:53 PM
Can you just email me the crash course so I can graduate later today? I don't think that I can go a day without my precious.

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 02:36:35 PM
Can you just email me the crash course so I can graduate later today? I don't think that I can go a day without my precious.
Maybe you should have thought about that before you abused your SAK Pabs. I don't imagine this is the first time you've abused your SAK is it?

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 02:41:12 PM
Maybe you should have thought about that before you abused your SAK Pabs. I don't imagine this is the first time you've abused your SAK is it?
Nah, he probably smacks it around every day, always telling he's sorry and it won't happen again.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 02:45:12 PM
Uhhh.... In this configuration (bladeless Woodsman)? No.  :angel:

Nah, he probably smacks it around every day, always telling he's sorry and it won't happen again.
>:(
Show content
:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 02:45:35 PM
Quite. So would you agree with me that for the SAK's safety we need to remove it from Pabs and issue a court order restricting access and visits only under supervision?

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 02:49:26 PM
Quite. So would you agree with me that for the SAK's safety we need to remove it from Pabs and issue a court order restricting access and visits only under supervision?
Naturaly!

And also suspend that Skinth he has incomming. He won't be treating that properly either. :dwts:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 02:50:05 PM
Hang on... It's no worse than what Vicky the Huntsman went through!

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 02:51:23 PM
Naturaly!

And also suspend that Skinth he has incomming. He won't be treating that properly either. :dwts:
Good thinking Nick  :tu: I'll get on to the Skinth department and try to divert the pouch to a safehouse. Is your house safe?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 02:53:23 PM
Naturaly!

Good thinking Nick  :tu: I'll get on to the Skinth department and try to divert the pouch to a safehouse. Is your house safe?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 02:54:36 PM by Pablo O'Brien »

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 02:54:23 PM
That was in the pursuit of SCIENCE not misuse through ignorance. I will have to warn you pabs hun, all communications from now on are being collected for presentation to the judicial board of the RSPCSAK. They and they alone will make a decision based on your cooperation and my recommendations. Soz Hun.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 02:54:52 PM
Naturaly!

Properly secured house and the cat isn't allowed in the display cabinet so I think I can hold on to it and break it in a little (much)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: August 14, 2017, 02:56:06 PM
That was in the pursuit of SCIENCE not misuse through ignorance. I will have to warn you pabs hun, all communications from now on are being collected for presentation to the judicial board of the RSPCSAK. They and they alone will make a decision based on your cooperation and my recommendations. Soz Hun.
If the only difference between science and messing around/ignorance is writing down the results, this IS science.  :cry:

All hail the hook!

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 02:58:07 PM
 :popcorn: :popcorn:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 03:01:22 PM
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

gb Offline daverobson

Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 03:02:44 PM
I once turned a GAK can opener into a longer screwdriver when it was dropped onto a tiled kitchen floor. :facepalm:
GAK.jpg
* GAK.jpg (Filesize: 187.81 KB)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: August 14, 2017, 03:03:47 PM
I refer to this post, which appears to be already lost.  :facepalm:
Before you heap more abuse on me, I ran a little stress test  :ahhh

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
That wood is HARD, and I could feel the SAK itself flexing slightly. I was using the bottle opener at 90 degrees and had a good grip. The screw is an inch long, roughly. I'll let you make your own conclusions, but my faith in this particular bottle opener is restored. It appears to be still fit for duty.  :salute:

I'm so very sorry for abusing my precious...  :cry:
I'll never do it again, please don't take precious away...
I think the bottle opener is o.k.   :-\
Please don't take my precious, and can I have my Skinth?  :cry:

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 03:04:44 PM
I once turned a GAK can opener into a longer screwdriver when it was dropped onto a tiled kitchen floor. :facepalm:
That is strange.... :o

Look see mags? He actually broke his GAK.  :pok:

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: August 14, 2017, 03:05:56 PM

That must be the weirdest break that I've ever seen.  :ahhh

All hail the hook!

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: August 14, 2017, 03:14:02 PM

That must be the weirdest break that I've ever seen.  :ahhh

+1 here  :o 
How did that happen?? and from what height?

I dropped my tourist this week on tile floor from waist height, slipped while i was cutting loose threads on my T-shirt with the small blade. Thankfully it landed on it's side, if it had gone blade down it would be "goodbye small blade tip..."  :ahhh
Also no scratches or dings thankfully...  :angel:

gb Offline daverobson

Reply #26 on: August 14, 2017, 03:18:08 PM

Dropped from waist height, that's not very high either as I'm only 5' 7".
Fortunately, Victorinox repaired it no problem (unless you call a 3 month wait a problem).
They even replaced the main blade while they had it.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 14, 2017, 03:25:24 PM

Fortunately, Victorinox repaired it no problem (unless you call a 3 month wait a problem).

Glad they repaid it for you  :cheers:
But still... it shouldn't break like that, even more from that height... maybe some weak spot on the steel from factory...  :think:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: August 14, 2017, 03:27:42 PM

Glad they repaid it for you  :cheers:
But still... it shouldn't break like that, even more from that height... maybe some weak spot on the steel from factory...  :think:
I was thinking that too...

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: August 14, 2017, 05:27:40 PM
:b2t:

So Pablo, how many other SAKs were tortured like this?
Do you sell them for cheap or do you keep on to them as strange souvinirs?
Do you make any difference between received/bought tools when deciding which one has to go?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%