Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Up and beyond the call of duty, or aka, I broke it!

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Re: Up and beyond the call of duty, or aka, I broke it!
Reply #60 on: August 19, 2017, 02:03:49 AM
I've put my Vics up to some hard use but have never broken one before...
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline docfossil

Reply #61 on: August 19, 2017, 05:49:55 AM
On my previous Vic Huntsman, which I had used for approx. 40 years (then it was stolen) one scale had a small chip knocked out of it, the saw was slightly bent, and there was a small piece of the cutting edge of the can opener which chipped off. Man, I loved that knife.
Vic Ranger and original Gerber Needle-nose Multitool = EDC
Formerly, Vic Huntsman x3
Semper Versitalis

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: August 19, 2017, 12:32:13 PM
Interpol is watching all SAK abusers and tortures!
The worst offenders are even on its Red Notice list... :facepalm:
If he is on that list, I hate to see which one I am on.
:ahhh :ahhh
The Mega Mega Red Notice List?
It's a pretty short list I hear. It includes the likes of Nate and Tom Riddle.  :ahhh

Yeah, I am probably also on it. I've ruined, lost, gave away, traded, sold, damaged too many Vic's along the way. And most were older types, some were really unique items. But all of my life I've considered them as tools that could be abused. Shame on me!! But now I have seen The Light. No more fooling round with these beautiful pieces of industrial ingenuity.
:salute:
That won't slow me down. They are tools. And just like the two greatest MTs invented(LM Surge and Vic Supertimer) they will be used as tools. I have zero shame nor should anyone else.

I agree in a way, but don't forget... Using is not Abusing... :ahhh
And while sak's are tools, i don't consider them as actual multi tools, but as pocket knives with handy extra tools   :climber:

And while always using them when needed, i try to always have a feel for it's physical limit's that may get into damage territory and avoid going there if i have a choice.

And since is something i carry with me, it matters to me to keep it looking good and used instead of bashed up and broken... :facepalm:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 12:34:01 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: August 19, 2017, 09:13:27 PM
Using an SAK beyond the call of duty? Broken SAK?  It can happen.

Here's my late '60s/early '70s Wenger Master Fisherman. Carried it a lot for the first few years, but when the main blade tip was fried off working on a car, it went into the tool box for the next 35+yrs seeing duty as needed, though I've never used that fish tickler once.  I've since purposely dulled the main blade so I can use it to take the scales off used SAKs I acquire without cutting myself.

It still has life and I'll probably never give it up.
Copy of Toolbox Knives2.jpg
* Copy of Toolbox Knives2.jpg (Filesize: 231.95 KB)
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Up and beyond the call of duty, or aka, I broke it!
Reply #64 on: August 20, 2017, 04:18:50 AM
Many years ago my partner and I got locked out of the restroom at work and no one there had a key to it (night shift). No one else had any tools and the only tool I had was a Vic Huntsman. After trying every other tool on it, I tried the corkscrew.
This was a restroom door in the city JAIL, mind you. I suspect they intentionally make those doors hard to pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 04:21:05 AM by Tired_Yeti »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69