Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Time you Love and Hate Leatherman...

sawman · 42 · 2011

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
The Time you Love and Hate Leatherman...
on: August 14, 2017, 10:59:06 PM
Over the years, I've been a huge critic of Leatherman... Given so many quarks, QC issues, price increases, and so much more...

BUT

I wanted to kick this thread off to mention the things that they do RIGHT.

What do you love about Leatherman?

• Supertool - original, 200 and 300 - AMAZING tools.
  • PST - for my days of light carry, no other tool to my knowledge even comes close.
  • Raptor - simply ingenius...
  • PS4, Style CS & Micra - pack the most punch for their size.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 11:01:32 PM by sawman »
SAW

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: The Time you Love and Hate Leatherman...
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 11:14:21 PM
OHO blades! :2tu:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 11:29:51 PM
In my humble opinion, the Rebar is on the same list as the Supertools and the PST's.

Even Tim Leatherman himself told me that it's his favorite of todays tools.  He first asked me what my favorite Leatherman of their current line up was, I said it was the Rebar (next to the ST300), and he said that the Rebar was his favorite too.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 12:47:51 AM
Over the years, I've been a huge critic of Leatherman... Given so many quarks, QC issues, price increases, and so much more...

BUT

I wanted to kick this thread off to mention the things that they do RIGHT.

:think:

The Wave remains one of the best tool designs on the entire multitool timeline across all manufacturers.

:clap:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 05:03:12 AM
Agreed. Love my Super Tool (original), and love my PST ii, and love the scissors of my Micra. I use the Micra tweezers to remove any ticks from my Beagle after long hikes.

When I saw the newer gen tools coming out, of them I thought I would like the Rebar best, but ended up getting a Blast. I like it a lot. More than I thought I would. I may still get a rebar...

My main concern with the newer tools is the choice to go with the bead-blasted finish over the high polish. I like the look and feel of the high polish of the OG Super Tool and PST line, but wonder if be a  blasting will make newer tools more prone to rust. If so, why would they do that. If we can get a black oxide version of the tool, why not a high polish SS version on all the parts of the tool?

I know nothing first hand about the Raptor or other tools you mention. I picked up some newer gen tools recently (Surge and Blast) and do find them less smooth and more "clacky" to open and close, however, after some months of use, I will say that the Surge has really grown on me, so I am not prepared to throw the baby out with the bathwater

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 07:19:02 AM
The little Squirt PS4 is amazing for the size --- build quality is excellent, nothing I can criticise on it.  The Juice S2 is another amazing piece of engineering --- those back springs are clever (if you ever taken one apart and put it together again).  Remember, part of the good design is so that such a tool can be mass assembled, but we tend not to see that in the finished product.  The original Wave has a nice simplicity for a fairly comprehensive tool.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 07:24:45 AM
Agreed. Love my Super Tool (original), and love my PST ii, and love the scissors of my Micra. I use the Micra tweezers to remove any ticks from my Beagle after long hikes.

When I saw the newer gen tools coming out, of them I thought I would like the Rebar best, but ended up getting a Blast. I like it a lot. More than I thought I would. I may still get a rebar...

My main concern with the newer tools is the choice to go with the bead-blasted finish over the high polish. I like the look and feel of the high polish of the OG Super Tool and PST line, but wonder if be a  blasting will make newer tools more prone to rust. If so, why would they do that. If we can get a black oxide version of the tool, why not a high polish SS version on all the parts of the tool?

I know nothing first hand about the Raptor or other tools you mention. I picked up some newer gen tools recently (Surge and Blast) and do find them less smooth and more "clacky" to open and close, however, after some months of use, I will say that the Surge has really grown on me, so I am not prepared to throw the baby out with the bathwater

I like the questions. I'm afraid that my Charge will rust first than my Wingman if I leave them unmaintained for months

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 08:11:11 AM
Oho blade with pocket clip? Wave to go! :tu:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 08:29:36 AM
Micra.

Been carrying it with my keys since Sept 2001. 

....I don't really "hate" Leatherman but rather "hate" the local distributor for the price they are selling them. 

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 12:38:54 PM
The Signal of course... best LM ever. I also do like the Charge (I find its superior to the Wave).
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 06:35:34 PM
Rebar and Wave are the two tools to have, for every and any use, and carry on you so you always have it available.
Micra has no rivals for its size, and is a truly versatile tool that everyone can appreciate.
Their warranty is as awesome as one could wish for, quick, nice and sensible
Also the replaceable wire cutters are way superior to Gerber's, Ganzo's and others
They have the history, ST, PST...they are just classy in any iteration    :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 06:43:31 PM
For me the standout is the Crunch. I've been carrying and using it for over 6 years and it always seems to get the job done, often when regular pliers would have been inadequate.

Honorable mention goes to the PS4 and the KF4.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 08:11:12 PM
Love,

Wave platform is tops.  Included are Charges as well since they fall into this series. 

Surges blade exchanger.  This feature alone makes the Surge an all time favorite. 

OHO tools.  Say what you want about OHO but in my profession one hand access is a exactly like wishing for a third arm in situations when a third arm would be most awesome.

Warranty.

Crunch.  This tool doesn't get as much love as it should.  Its quite wonderful when you need a locking plier plus some extra tools.

Squirt P4.  I have not been let down by my P4.

MUT.  I love the MUT even though I might not be their target market. 

Hate.  Hate is a strong word when I relate it to what I see as issues.

QC.  At this point in their production I would hope LM would focus on perfection.  While I am not one to think perfection is attainable in a production setting they can always raise the bar much higher.

Better sheaths options.  The old style leather sheath were far superior to their current ones.  If it aint broke........   Tighten up those Molle sheaths.  Why so many variances/versions?

I'm insulted they changed the Ti clip on the MUT and raised the price. 

Stupid mistakes should not happen.  When we get new owners of LM tools and see such bone head issues I feel embarrassed for LM.

Kydex.  Why not make Kydex sheaths LM? 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 02:59:45 AM
The origional PST is still the best in my opinion, and they should bring it back. (including the bladeless, file and saw version I"ve been balthering about for years). Then a dead heat for the origional Supertool, ST300 and the Rebar. I think they could go very retro using the Rebar, but they won't. Becuase people would buy them! Oh, the horror.

The original Squirts, vastly superior to the Micra and the current PS/ES Squirts. Especially the E4, wonderful tool selection.

I seem to have gotten one of the good Skeletools. I know people have either love them or hate them, but mine I like.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Offline stugumby

Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 04:05:03 AM
Love the Wave and Rebar, wish the Signal had 2 knife blades.
Hate the short reach on the bits, cant install blinds unless you use a mut long reach. need the bit kit to incorporate a longer reach bit.
New juice? what were they thinking changing the scales to 2 tone, understand the short blade in case it was TSA approved

ca Offline JP

Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 05:00:18 AM
I don't know that I love me some LM....but I consider anything other than High Praise for the Micra as blasphemy.

I enjoy that everyone does have a "favourite". Variety is the spice of life....and the Micra is the GOAT.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 05:55:47 AM
I don't hate LM and think they usually get things right for the most part. That is considering how many models they have offered since the 80s. The prices are high, partly because of excessive warranty abuse. I personally know someone who snapped a file off his original ST just to get a 300 for free. Nothing was really wrong with his tool either. This costs LM a lot of money to keep going. And there isn't anything they can do about it. Then there are people who buy boxes full of older tools and send them all back just to sell the new ones for big money.
I can't judge, because people want to make money, but real collectors and users foot the bill for the warranty abuse in the end.
Tools cost money to make and just as much to replace. Simple business.
All we can do, as collectors/enthusiasts, is to not partake in the behavior that causes the prices to go up. There are a lot of youtube videos of guys who do that stuff.
Sorry for the rant.  :ahhh
Anyway, I love their customer service and great line of awesome tools. A few of my fav LM(past and present) in my collection are the Surge, ST series(all three), Rebar, Crunch, Core, Flair and PST. Honorable mention for the OHT, Wave, and Wingman.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 06:01:01 AM
The micra is also a good tool and I like the style cs just as much. I just rarely carry the small ones. I also have an ES4 that I use once in a blue moon that is of fantastic quality. IMO
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 04:28:55 PM
I agree with the abusing warranty policy. So many folks there doing it and we end up paying the price. i've been legal in that regard and pretend to keep that way, I find it is a way to show respect and love for LM.
I only mentioned the good things, what I love, and forgot to tell what I don't like about LM, so:

- Bead blast finish: Why? more rust, less pretty, maybe less expensive but WTH! Even Gerbe's Bead blast doesn't rust as easily, and let's not say about how nice and durable is the steel on those SOG and Swisstools...

- Newer (post-Rebar) offerings.
Nothing new, all recycling and in most cases the only changes done are for the worse! I can0t really say how much I'd like TIm to still lead and be at the front of the design team, as he personally confessed me he is hardly involved in R&D now and he only does tours, advertising and is the figure of the company towards press, news and other companies.
He gives a hint at what's being cooked now and then but hardly has any role to play in that regard. Sad   :-[

- Juice: all the line, each and every one of them,I got rid of all. Didn't like the blade, the scissors, that ugly saw, the weight/tool ratio, the infernal drivers, the absurd  corkscrew mechanism, no clip...just what the smurf where they thinking???

- No shipping outside of USA:
as you might know, some years ago LM stated that no dealers would be able to sell or ship tools and LM stuff overseas. Knifecenter, BladeHQ, most eBay sellers from the US, Knifeworks, etc. just ceased to send any LM products overseas in a few hours. Crappy move by LM!!!
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 04:52:51 PM
Oh, are we doing the hate thing now? OK then, if you insist   :D

The indexable cutter plier heads - all models. Impeded gripping area and overly splayed handles. Fix them or ditch them.

Ergonomics across the whole range. Hot spots, handle splay, concave handles, bitey carabiners, cuticle chomping drivers, handle mounted accessories. Smurfing well sort it out will you :megaslap:

Quality. This seriously needs looking at. My 30th anniversary Micra is poorly made, with the floppiest scissors I have ever seen on a Micra - WTF!?!? - on a smurfing anniversary edition  :twak: :twak: :twak: Sort it out!  :viking:

Advertising. The hype, the BS and the lies. Stop it!

The Juice line. Don't snap it in half and pretends it's a new product. Fix it and finish it. Sharpen the awls and can opener, straighten the saws, take the sharp corners off the drivers, put proper size knives back on, bring back the KF4, and sort those smurfing scissors out!!  :rant:

The only product in the entire line that I consider worth buying is the Wave. One smurfing tool. A very sad state of affairs.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 05:19:13 PM
[...]What do you love about Leatherman?[...]

Oh, are we doing the hate thing now? OK then, if you insist   :D

The indexable cutter plier heads - all models. Impeded gripping area and overly splayed handles. Fix them or ditch them.

Ergonomics across the whole range. Hot spots, handle splay, concave handles, bitey carabiners, cuticle chomping drivers, handle mounted accessories. Smurfing well sort it out will you :megaslap:

Quality. This seriously needs looking at. My 30th anniversary Micra is poorly made, with the floppiest scissors I have ever seen on a Micra - WTF!?!? - on a smurfing anniversary edition  :twak: :twak: :twak: Sort it out!  :viking:

Advertising. The hype, the BS and the lies. Stop it!

The Juice line. Don't snap it in half and pretends it's a new product. Fix it and finish it. Sharpen the awls and can opener, straighten the saws, take the sharp corners off the drivers, put proper size knives back on, bring back the KF4, and sort those smurfing scissors out!!  :rant:

The only product in the entire line that I consider worth buying is the Wave. One smurfing tool. A very sad state of affairs.

Sounds like tough love
 :rofl:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: August 16, 2017, 05:24:50 PM
I did the like thing at the beginning of the thread  :pok: :D

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #22 on: August 16, 2017, 06:13:49 PM
I see that sometimes... they are known to make positive improvements on a tool.

While at my local Walmart last night I picked up a new Style CS. It is basically un-changed, except for two improvements:

1. The diamond grit on the file is slightly wider, and considerably more course.

2. The nail nick on the blade is in the center, making it much easier to open.

As a tool that I use and carry quite often this is a welcome offering from LM.

This is what I personally would like to see more of! :tu: :tu: :D
SAW

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 02:23:15 AM
Oh, yes, the hate.

Juices. The whole line. They seem like a great idea on paper. I have one of the rarer ones in storage. I might dig it out, with the warning to the buyer that while the blade is dull the screwdrivers will cut you from a foot away. Badly executed. Pity, it had promise.

The Micra. Most over hyped widget I ever put on a keychain. The scissors are too wide generally bulky for fine work, too small to do big jobs. Went back to a SAK. Micra is also the only LM to rust on me.

Tread. Interesting idea. So was the Spruce Goose. To heavy and bulky, not able to be adjusted to fit half the population, and honestly not terribly useful.

The Hail, Jam, Thruster, Shooter, Rime and Grind- seriously, what were they thinking? The changes to the Pirahna were stupid. The Rail, Pump and Cam all kinda fail to. Seriously, Tim needs to make his boy stand in the corner except when shovelling the driveway for the next five years and take his company back. They are designing garbage.

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #24 on: August 17, 2017, 10:16:21 AM
Full sized tools....

Surge scissors and file/saw exchanger are both great. Poor flat blades that twist far too easily for such a robust multi. Don't need them with it having the bit exchanger, get rid and put a pry/scraper tool in it's place.

Diamond file - very good but should be on all their tools.

Replaceable cutters on the pliers - great, though a tad to long and can interfere with the plier grip - should be on all their full size multi's. I wouldn't have dared cut half the stuff I have with my Surge if it didn't have these.

Charge AL/ALX - get rid of the knurled screws and use recessed torx like on other models - once you get the pocket clip on, the knurled screws stop it seating all the way down on all but the thinnest of material.

BO coating - wears off far too easily imo. The rub can look good but I'd expect it to do better (gerber is the same btw)

Small tools...

Micra - handy little scissor tool. Best paired with a squirt if you want pliers as well.

Style - they should never have stopped making these. Very handy to have on keys and all tools open away from the key ring attachment so you can use them fully (unlike the classic which can be a PITA and get tangled with your keys).

Style CS - it's good for what it is, but I prefer the more compact original style. The bigger scissors could be handy at times. Really it's just a Micra with a built in caribiner.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 10:18:34 AM by Kevin Davey »

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: August 18, 2017, 02:55:01 AM
I liked the Crunch and the Crater series of knives are great. The C33tx was the one Leatherman I wish I still had.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

00 Offline haja.maideen.988

Reply #26 on: August 18, 2017, 06:36:42 AM
Leatherman PST not for me cos no scissor.
I need scissor to cut fishing line.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: August 18, 2017, 01:43:50 PM
Leatherman PST not for me cos no scissor.
I need scissor to cut fishing line.
LM PST II has scissors, also the Flair has them. :pok:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: August 25, 2017, 10:03:21 PM
And I'd maintain that the PST's main knife blade is more than up to cutting a little fishing line...

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Offline vadsoom

Reply #29 on: September 01, 2017, 07:00:39 PM
The only time I hate my Leatherman is when I need it and don't have it.

I spent July in The Philippines. I sent over a few low value multitools to EDC while I was there, planning to leave them there when I left. I regretted my decision from the first day there. Any Leatherman would have saved my so much frustration.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%