Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

portable CB radio

us Offline tjfarrington2000

portable CB radio
on: August 15, 2017, 05:18:49 AM
I wanted a CB radio in my car, but my father would have most certainly killed me, but, as with most teens, I have found a loophole. Or is it better put as jerry-rigged a loophole?
4.0AH battery plus ammo can plus dads old CB radio = a good emergency communications system!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: portable CB radio
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 06:29:57 AM
That's cute!
I had a cb in my little car back in the day, one day my motor was over heating so I snuck up behind a truck and started drifting, well he was talking to someone and he said he's got a rabbit up his butt, this guys crazy! So I jumped on and said well this rabbits got ears! He was like omg, he couldn't believe it, so I explained and he said to hang out and be careful and watch his lights, if they started lighting up to back off,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 02:17:45 AM
I built it because these are making a comeback with my friends, and I was the only one that didn't have one, so I had to build one

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 10:24:13 AM
I had one in my first car. Before mobile phones were affordable and smaller than a briefcase  :whistle:

All my friends had one to. I still have it on a shelf stored, it's a modified Tristar 777.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 04:20:06 PM
CB radios can be quite fun and are a great way to find out what is going on while on the road :tu: We don't use them going back and forth to work anymore because of traffic apps on our phones but listening to some of the truck drivers was entertaining sometimes :D We had one (my Dad had it) that was very strong and had been turned up to really boost the signal :ahhh :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 04:20:18 PM
I didn't know CB's were coming back.  That's pretty cool.

I have this one wired into the center console in my Jeep:

It's a Cobra 75 and I like it because everything is in the handset/microphone, and there's no head unit to stick out.  When I need it I open the center console and pull it out, when I don't it tucks away and no one even knows its there.

Unfortunately I can't use it at the moment- too many underground parking lots have destroyed my antenna, so I'm screwed until I replace it.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 01:56:21 AM
I've got an old Cobra 25 LTD with weather in my big ole Blazer. With a Li'l Will up in front of the roof rack. Admittedly, not much chatter to and from work here in New England, but I catch something sometimes. And of course, those Mic jockeys on channel 6 will at least confirm you are receiving. Skipping all the way from Alabama  whatnot.

I get  lot of activity from places like Puerto Rico on channel 9, it must not be the emergency channel there. It went away for weeks following the hurricane, but is slowly returning to its previous prominence.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 01:59:09 AM
In terms of "worst case scenario", fm band talkies and cell phones require a lot more overhead and infrastructure to work. I like them for what they are, of course, but I still admire the old CB and my weather channels.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 02:01:09 AM
I wanted a CB radio in my car, but my father would have most certainly killed me, but, as with most teens, I have found a loophole. Or is it better put as jerry-rigged a loophole?(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
4.0AH battery plus ammo can plus dads old CB radio = a good emergency communications system!

Nice kit, TJ!!

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 01:55:15 PM
Love my CB radios.  Been into it for decades.  We still have several base stations on the air in my area.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 02:10:54 AM
Just about everyone around here that off-roads has a CB in their rig.  When I'm not wheeling, I usually put it on the truckers channel (channel 1 here), as it's great for updates especially in the winter.

Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 05:53:23 AM
I’m planning on taking it with me tomorrow due to a first snow combined with crappy Iowa drivers

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 05:59:07 AM
Used to chat on a handheld CB many years ago, until my antenna got snapped off. I put the radio in a drawer and just never went back to it. It's probably still around somewhere, but it's quite old at this point and who knows if I can find a proper antenna replacement.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 11:44:34 PM
I've got one in the roof console of my defender, it's been useful on off road trips. I don't think anyone uses them on the road anymore in the UK

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline LOWW

Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 05:05:53 PM
 :D so how does the People here will use there CB Radio when there is no Fuel to Power there Car up?   :think:  :rofl:

Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 05:48:52 PM
:D so how does the People here will use there CB Radio when there is no Fuel to Power there Car up?   :think:  :rofl:
???

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 10:37:51 PM
LOWW

So far, we do have fuel to power the cars and trucks. Alternately, some people may be using CBs at home as a base station. They can plug into electricity there with necessary power conversion.

If electricity goes out, some folks might have a generator, but if that fuel also runs out - I guess then it will be smoke signals, paige boys, and mountain top torch pavilions

us Offline Pacu

Reply #17 on: May 27, 2018, 03:53:55 AM
Rednecks and good ole boys still use CB here in east Texas quite a bit. Base stations, mikes, linear amps and ground planes are hot commodities around here. I had one as a scout when i lived at home. I had a mobile magnetic antenna on a pizza pan on my dad's roof. I could talk clear across town to my scout friends who also had them.

Guess I could put one in the Xterra as I'm on the road quite a bit. Always wanted one with side band.
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Pacu

Reply #18 on: May 27, 2018, 03:56:06 AM
I built it because these are making a comeback with my friends, and I was the only one that didn't have one, so I had to build one

nice build there!  :cheers:
:like:    :MTO:

Reply #19 on: May 27, 2018, 05:43:07 AM

nice build there!  :cheers:
Thanks!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: March 14, 2019, 04:15:10 AM
Just picked up a Cobra 29 LTD, peaked and tuned by a local guy who was well trained in radio, and put that knowledge to important use back in the day. Now he peaks, tunes, and sells CB's as a hobby.

When I picked the 29 up, it worked great. So I handed him my previously mentioned Cobra 25 LTD WX for a check-up. All tuned up and ready to go. Its smaller than the 29, but has weather and weather alerts, which is why I like it so much. First time I heard that weather alert scream out of the CB - powered OFF at the time - I nearly soiled myself and crashed.

The 29 and the 25 are working great, so I handed the man an old Cobra 19. Not a 19 iii, not a 19 ii, just a simple old 19 Ulta. Old school, but not as old-school looking as the 25 and 29. When it is done I will have 3.

Trouble is, when I broke the frame of my big Blazer, i got into a Grand Cherokee, and there is no place to easily plop a CB without getting either creative or daring.

In a month or so, i hope to be out of the Grand Cherokee and into a Silverado. Then the CB can be mounted on the center hump, near where the old fashioned 4x4 transaxle shifters used to be...you know...before the time when push button 4x4 was a thing, when people didn't need an iPad embedded into the dashboard.

We dont hear much chatter in the New England Town area, but we do hear some. I presume some highway road trips would unveil more use out west or south of Pennsylvania or so? Maybe even towards the White Mountains and Maine?

Who else is running with a CB?

Offline LOWW

Reply #21 on: March 14, 2019, 08:38:56 AM
OMG is a AM Only I would never Buy it.
There is a new one. Randy 3 but not available now.

Reply #22 on: March 14, 2019, 11:26:51 AM
Been running a mobile and base station for over 40 years.  Met my wife in the CB many years ago.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #23 on: March 14, 2019, 01:32:19 PM
Just picked up a Cobra 29 LTD, peaked and tuned by a local guy who was well trained in radio, and put that knowledge to important use back in the day. Now he peaks, tunes, and sells CB's as a hobby.

When I picked the 29 up, it worked great. So I handed him my previously mentioned Cobra 25 LTD WX for a check-up. All tuned up and ready to go. Its smaller than the 29, but has weather and weather alerts, which is why I like it so much. First time I heard that weather alert scream out of the CB - powered OFF at the time - I nearly soiled myself and crashed.

The 29 and the 25 are working great, so I handed the man an old Cobra 19. Not a 19 iii, not a 19 ii, just a simple old 19 Ulta. Old school, but not as old-school looking as the 25 and 29. When it is done I will have 3.

Trouble is, when I broke the frame of my big Blazer, i got into a Grand Cherokee, and there is no place to easily plop a CB without getting either creative or daring.

In a month or so, i hope to be out of the Grand Cherokee and into a Silverado. Then the CB can be mounted on the center hump, near where the old fashioned 4x4 transaxle shifters used to be...you know...before the time when push button 4x4 was a thing, when people didn't need an iPad embedded into the dashboard.

We dont hear much chatter in the New England Town area, but we do hear some. I presume some highway road trips would unveil more use out west or south of Pennsylvania or so? Maybe even towards the White Mountains and Maine?

Who else is running with a CB?
Rocking a base. I got to get a new antenna for my mobile. Tree branch got my last one.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: April 04, 2019, 07:52:07 AM
I have a Uniden 980 in my Colorado 4x4 I have 102 whip antenna mounted on the bed rail that puts my antenna 12 foot high. I tie it down to put my truck in the garage if I forget and go through a drive threw with the antenna up I just drag it. I have a lot of fun talking on it my grandson has one as well.
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: August 28, 2019, 06:14:59 AM
???

Solar power. Ham radio guys are doing it with solar.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #26 on: November 01, 2021, 11:36:21 PM
I've got one in the roof console of my defender, it's been useful on off road trips. I don't think anyone uses them on the road anymore in the UK
Sorry, just saw the topic crop up in a search...

I still use my CBs a fair bit and there are plenty of other uses, depending on the area.
Most of the time I have my Midland 42 set up on the bike with a helmet mic and PTT on the clutch control cluster. The antenna makes people think I'm a Police bike, heh heh!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%