Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox blade oversharpened

Offline scrutinizing

• New User
Victorinox blade oversharpened
on: August 15, 2017, 06:43:06 PM
Hey guys! Long time lurker first time posting.
I recently bought a victorinox huntsman, and inspecting it closely i found the edge to be not evenly sharpened on both sides.
Is this normal?
The knive cuts wonders, but i'm concerned that when it needs sharpening I wouldn't be able to restore the edge.
Please check attached photos.
Has anyone had the same issue?
If yes posting a photo would be very much appreciated.(The knife with normal edge being my super tinker)
No more assumptions I'm leaving it to you experts.
Please tell me what do you think.
edit:Second post will hold photos, forum won't let me upload.

Offline scrutinizing

• New User
Re: Victorinox blade oversharpened
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 06:47:41 PM

supertinker/huntsman(top)
(huntsman)
(supertinker)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 07:47:00 PM by scrutinizing »

us Offline Awesom-0

Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 06:54:08 PM
I've had this problem a few times. Depending on the angle it will vary on how sharp it can be, how fast it will go dull, and a chance of rolling or chipping the edge. I don't worry about it too much unless it's really bad. I just sharpen one side more than the other to eventually make it match.

Since it's sharp I'd use it and if the edge chips or rolls fix it. Hope this helps  :)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 07:09:51 PM
Greetings and welcome to the forum. 

Normal?  I have not bought enough new SAKs to answer specifically to that but I have bought enough used SAKs/knives to see a wide variety of uneven bevels.

The bevel does appear the be wider that "normal".  I don't think it will be an issue long term.  The reason is SAKs touch up quite nicely vs actually having to remove a lot of material in the case of "sharpening". 

Sharpening.  I'd first suggest using a strop to touch up the blade when its no longer cutting as you desire.  When stropping you can adjust your angle of approach for each side.  If using methods like Spyderco sharp maker or similar you can make the bevel with a sharpie before running it on the rods to make sure you are hitting the bevel apex properly.  You can also "steel" the knife as well.  You know how chefs run their knives on the rods before carving up something?  When you do this method you can adjust your angle for each side again making sure you adjust to hit the apex.   

Final thoughts.  You can "fix" the bevel on the more shallow side buy removing more material ( not recommended ) IMO to even up the sides.   I think Victorinox made the knife sharp as you point out and your concern would be easily put to rest making the adjustment when you go to touch up your blade.  The bevels maybe off by a few degrees which is not too terrible again IMO because you can make the adjustment needed. 

Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 07:24:35 PM
I can only echo what Aloha said. Nothing to be worried about
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 12:37:37 AM
If you can sharpen freehand, it's really not an issue. If you rely on a "system" to sharpen your knives, it might be a little more tricky. I would never expect ANY new knife to instantly be compatible with a system, and would expect the first sharpening to be a reprofiling exercise. It's really not an issue either way  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 03:49:04 AM
It seems to me that if using the Spyderco SharpMaker (or similar) that simply holding the knife at a little bit of an angle would match up the angles to the grind on your knife.
- Steve

Offline scrutinizing

• New User
Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 04:19:08 PM
Wonderful thanks!
Anybody else with similar experience.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00