Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knives that are special to us

ca Offline Tinner

Knives that are special to us
on: March 10, 2023, 06:41:44 PM
We all have objects in our lives that are special to us. They have meaning for various reasons like, they were a gift, bought at a special location, have a story attached or maybe were passed down or inherited to you from someone important in your life. These things have memories attached whether it be of a person, place, or time.

Of course we are knife nuts so this thread is dedicated to the knives in our lives that are particularly special to us for whatever reason and I would like to celebrate that. So, if you have such a knife  please post them up and share why they hold a special place in your collection.

I’ll start it off with my inherited Marbles Woodcraft. This knife was my fathers who sadly passed away back in September. He wasn’t a knife guy and didn’t really carry one on him at all. This particular knife rode in a toolbox, sometimes in his vehicle, sometimes in the shed at our trailer where we spent many summers. He always refered to it as his Boy Scout knife but after a little research I found that it was manufactured well before he was born and I don’t know if he was actually a Boy Scout. I have no idea where he procured it but it made many a cameo appearance through my life. As a knife guy myself I was very happy to find it amongst his belongings when I cleaned out his place and if I could only have one item to remember him by this would have been my choice. One day I will pass it on to my  son who was born only a year and a half before he died and didn’t get the chance to get to know his grandpa.

It has its warts and I need to figure out a way to stabilize the leather handle a bit better. It had no sheath and was dirty and a bit rusty but after a going over with some OOO wool and some oil to protect it I have a perfectly usable and sturdy knife. I set to work making a sheath to house it and put a working edge on it that’ll pop hair. May not be pretty but I love it just the same.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Knives that are special to us
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 07:32:55 PM
Condolences.  Thank you for sharing this with us.  As for the leather on the knife, there are many resources on how to deal with leather.  Thats a style of knife is one I really like.  Those old wonderful do everything kind of knives with a story. 

That sheath is gorgeous.  What a great compliment to the knife.  I would suggest not storing the knife in the sheath. 

Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Tinner

Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 07:46:54 PM
Thank you Aloha! I actually used this knife to skin the deer I harvested in December. Very handy knife indeed. I am finding that I appreciate the upswept blade even though it has an odd appearance. I also have a Grohmann #3 and it has similarly grown on me after some use.

And thanks for the advice. I have a display case I store my knives in and I remove them from their sheaths unless I am carrying them.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 09:06:18 PM
 :salute:  I remember that story.  Such a great one and so happy you have it back. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Tinner

Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023, 09:07:18 PM
Great story, and great knife! Thanks Steve.

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #6 on: March 12, 2023, 12:07:03 PM
Tinner, sorry to hear of your loss. But I must disagree with you; I think your Woodcraft is stunning! :tu:

Steve, great story!

I'll share a few of mine a little later.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%