Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Let's see some Kershaw's!

Spartan19 · 368 · 16560

us Offline JustinCase

Re: Let's see some Kershaw's!
Reply #300 on: March 06, 2019, 01:43:03 AM
My small collection of the discontinue Kershaw "Chubby" Knives Model #1440, made in Japan with AUS6 steel and released by Snap-On Tools.  Not to be confuse with the Kershaw 1445 Half-Ton made in China.
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #301 on: March 06, 2019, 02:26:51 AM
Awesome collection of Chubbies, Justin! :like:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #302 on: March 06, 2019, 04:13:25 AM
Awesome collection of Chubbies, Justin! :like:
Thank you! :salute:
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #303 on: March 06, 2019, 04:25:10 AM
 :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #304 on: March 06, 2019, 04:30:27 AM
The pocket clips on the Chubbies are the coolest I've seen on a Snap-On licensed tool. :)

I really wish Kershaw would do more with Snap-On. Two of my favorite knives are Kershaw Snap-On collaborations. 1910RD G&G Hawk design(the 1910 is a flipping beast) and 1730SO RJ Martin design(one of the coolest folding knife blades ever). I could sit and flip the 1910 open all day it is so good. :)

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #305 on: March 06, 2019, 06:09:42 AM
Don't know the purpose of the grooves, but really like the design of the 1730 blade :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #306 on: March 06, 2019, 06:15:34 AM
Thank you, Justin! :cheers:

I figured out the reason for the grooves in the blade sometime ago. They make it nearly impossible for the end-user to sharpen the blade. I stopped carrying it after it got dull, because I was damaging my stone trying to sharpen the thing.  :rofl:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #307 on: March 10, 2019, 04:59:31 AM
The Amplitude from Blackbeard arrived today.  :woohoo:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #308 on: March 10, 2019, 06:35:28 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

:-\ Dang, that looks nicer then mine, The one I opened had some stain on the handle from pivot oil which I cant seem to buff out

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #309 on: March 10, 2019, 06:46:13 AM
Sorry to read your Amplitude has a stain. Maybe it will wear off as you use it? Hopefully.  :ahhh

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #310 on: March 10, 2019, 07:42:20 AM

Nice looking folder! :tu:  I really like the stainless bead blast finish version because of the blue accents. My favorite thing about the Amplitude is the sleek design and so far, the best deep pocket clip, makes the knife disappear in your pocket.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #311 on: March 10, 2019, 07:58:49 AM
Thank you, Justin! :cheers:

I hadn't even thought of that. Now you mention it, indeed the clip is a great configuration. Looking forward to carrying this one. :)

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #312 on: March 28, 2019, 09:45:50 AM
Did the full Nick on my Skyline, and while I had it apart put a 17 degree edge on it with the Lansky  :woohoo:
 :hatsoff: I think the term is "sticky sharp"

Them there Scandinavians are not stupid people, so it shouldn't be surprising that when they cook up a steel with the express purpose of it being a knife steel, it works!  :cheers:

I have a funny relationship with the Skyline, ordered one, inspected it in the shop and felt it was too small for my hand and passed it up

Year or so later I saw it elsewhere at a discounted price and convinced myself.

You only need to go 2/3 pages back in this tread to see my disgust with the knife, but since I had it apart and sharpened it in January, it's been a favourite.

Yesterday I was cutting a box to shape to ship stuff at work, realized the ergos aren't great (for me), but it doesn't matter due to the size of the knife - it's a sufficient blade holder.

The 14C28 has been a revelation, and quite frankly inspiring because I have a sheet of the stuff at home and the digital kiln to properly heat treat it  8)

Only made 2 steak knives so far from the stuff, and completely knackered the extra course diamond stone of my Lanksy trying to put an edge on them.

Good stuff  :salute:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #313 on: April 17, 2019, 10:37:31 AM
anybody have an Atmos?

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #314 on: April 23, 2019, 09:28:29 AM
 :ahhh nobody? I might have to take one for the team  :rofl:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #315 on: April 23, 2019, 10:47:08 AM
:ahhh nobody? I might have to take one for the team  :rofl:
I might get one, but my budget has been trashed for a few weeks. I decided to buy both of the Free Ps, AND another Gerber MP1, AND another SOG PowerAssist, AND another ToughTool.  :facepalm:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #316 on: April 23, 2019, 11:15:16 AM
I might get one, but my budget has been trashed for a few weeks. I decided to buy both of the Free Ps, AND another Gerber MP1, AND another SOG PowerAssist, AND another ToughTool.  :facepalm:

And a dog  :o

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #317 on: April 23, 2019, 12:07:55 PM
Indeed.  :rofl:

Luckily, my father paid for our puppy, but food/vet/etc are on us now. Worth it.  :)

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #318 on: April 23, 2019, 07:28:34 PM
Congrats on all the new cool gear and a great buddy for years to come :like:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #319 on: April 23, 2019, 07:47:12 PM
Congrats on all the new cool gear and a great buddy for years to come :like:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk
Thank you, RF!  :cheers:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #320 on: April 25, 2019, 06:59:41 AM

Well looks like I will be the first MTO'er to get one , should be here tomorrow  :mail:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #321 on: April 25, 2019, 08:04:21 AM
Well looks like I will be the first MTO'er to get one (Image removed from quote.) , should be here tomorrow  :mail:
:woohoo:
Looking forward to reading your thoughts on it! And maybe seeing some pics.  :pok: :D :popcorn:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #322 on: April 27, 2019, 03:01:29 AM
Amazons tracking; it's cool to see the little grin blip on the map moving closer to your location, for some reason the driver wimped out yesterday with some construction near me and blip started to move away & I got notification he couldn't access residence...guess it's easier for them to give up then try an alternate route  :rofl:

Then you have to open a chat, which used to be with a live csr, but seems to have been taken over by automated robots and was useless and forced me to call them, and then you have to explain the issue to someone in India, bit of a pain.....anyway I got it today, sorry for boring rant  :twak:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #323 on: April 27, 2019, 03:08:51 AM
Here is some pics(I took a few extra since nobody seems to have covered this on MTO) followed by mini review/first impressions of Kershaw Atmos:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #324 on: April 27, 2019, 03:56:00 AM
Unlike most Kershaw's, Atmos is non assisted, and runs on KVT bearing system. I guess you could call it a poor mans Zero Tolerance(me being the poor man and unless I win the lottery I will never have a ZT :rofl:) and is designed by Dimitri Sinkevich and has that bent scale shape of the higher priced knives.

Scales are G10 with carbon fiber inlays, blade steel is 8Cr13MoV. This thing is extremely lightweight, 1.76 ounces and at first glance seems too light for what it is  :think: but construction seems sturdy and scales are rigid.

Pros:
-Came razor sharp, only tested it on paper but it's as sharp as any of my sharpest knives
-Well Centered, maybe 98-99%
-Blade grind is even on both sides
-No blade play, and good detent
-Deep carry clip, clip is not too tight and has good smooth non g10 area under it, lanyard hole
-Feels very ergonomic, although the bent portion of clip creates a minor "warm" spot
-Good spine, flipper and backspacer gimping.
-Light as a feather
-Inexpensive, $28.50 USD
-Good fidget factor, has only had maybe 1/30 opening misfires so far, when you close the blade enough to get it over the detent ball you can shake the blade closed

Cons
-Not too many cons just some observations on the construction that could be better
-Knife needs momentum to fully engage lockbar, if you partially close the knife and then try to slowly open it again, the lockbar will not go to correct  postion, this is only occuring if you dont use the flipper and try to do a silent/slow open with no momentum.
-Where the lockbar meets the blade tang, the tang is very short, I didn't get a good pic of this, but there is not a lot of tang real estate that sits on the bar, however there is a scoop on the spine that engages with the blade stop so I dont think this is an issue.
-Bearings feel slightly gritty when closing, hopefully this will improve over time, glad to see they used oil and not that stinky grease other Chinese bearing knifes use
-Some people may not like the softer steel, may need more frequent touching up

I will follow up later on after I have carried and used it more, but overall I think it's a winner and deserves the accolades many reviewers have given it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 04:08:06 AM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #325 on: April 27, 2019, 04:12:34 AM
I didn't know there were that many colors to the Chubby. I see a lot of red, followed by orange. But bright green and all the translucents I've never seen before.   The Craftsman version is cool. I'm surprised that it has a Craftsman part number as opposed to the Kershaw pattern number.

Here's my 1440OR (Orange) a user. Scales are faded, looks like it's been in a dog's mouth (judging by the gouges in the rubber inserts), and the blade has some scratches.  Still the thing cost me $20. At least the seller cleaned and sharpened it, and knew what they were doing (normally I avoid anything cleaned and sharpened by the seller). But I really like the shape and size of the knife. I have no problem getting a good grip.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #326 on: April 27, 2019, 05:10:52 AM
Unlike most Kershaw's, Atmos is non assisted, and runs on KVT bearing system. I guess you could call it a poor mans Zero Tolerance(me being the poor man and unless I win the lottery I will never have a ZT :rofl:) and is designed by Dimitri Sinkevich and has that bent scale shape of the higher priced knives.

Scales are G10 with carbon fiber inlays, blade steel is 8Cr13MoV. This thing is extremely lightweight, 1.76 ounces and at first glance seems too light for what it is  :think: but construction seems sturdy and scales are rigid.

Pros:
-Came razor sharp, only tested it on paper but it's as sharp as any of my sharpest knives
-Well Centered, maybe 98-99%
-Blade grind is even on both sides
-No blade play, and good detent
-Deep carry clip, clip is not too tight and has good smooth non g10 area under it, lanyard hole
-Feels very ergonomic, although the bent portion of clip creates a minor "warm" spot
-Good spine, flipper and backspacer gimping.
-Light as a feather
-Inexpensive, $28.50 USD
-Good fidget factor, has only had maybe 1/30 opening misfires so far, when you close the blade enough to get it over the detent ball you can shake the blade closed

Cons
-Not too many cons just some observations on the construction that could be better
-Knife needs momentum to fully engage lockbar, if you partially close the knife and then try to slowly open it again, the lockbar will not go to correct  postion, this is only occuring if you dont use the flipper and try to do a silent/slow open with no momentum.
-Where the lockbar meets the blade tang, the tang is very short, I didn't get a good pic of this, but there is not a lot of tang real estate that sits on the bar, however there is a scoop on the spine that engages with the blade stop so I dont think this is an issue.
-Bearings feel slightly gritty when closing, hopefully this will improve over time, glad to see they used oil and not that stinky grease other Chinese bearing knifes use
-Some people may not like the softer steel, may need more frequent touching up

I will follow up later on after I have carried and used it more, but overall I think it's a winner and deserves the accolades many reviewers have given it.
Thank you for taking the time to write that, Blackbeard!  Seems like it may be a good candidate for a budget EDC knife.  :)

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #327 on: April 27, 2019, 06:59:34 AM
Thank you for taking the time to write that, Blackbeard!  Seems like it may be a good candidate for a budget EDC knife.  :)

NP GLBM, yeah I am having a lot of fun with this one. As you can see reviews aren't my day job and I seem to have left out the measurements  :facepalm: I also borrowed the weight from amazon website, but on my crappy non digital postage scale it was closer to 2 ounces.

It's probably not gonna replace any hard use/work knives, it's just too light, but it's great for normal edc tasks and just fidgeting with 1 hand(as most of us probably use a knife for 75% of the time)

I haven't had it fail to open except that one time I mentioned, now in about 50-60 tries, so I guess that was user error, it's not as finicky as Kershaws other popular non assisted knife the skyline, which I'm still not sold on due to the misfires and tight clip

I will probably beef up the review after a few weeks of carry and slap it and the pics in the review sub-forum in the future

If you don't own a ball bearing knife this is a good place to try out for little $ outlay, if you want something a bit more robust try Ruike P801 for about same $ or Sanrenmu 910 which is even cheaper.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #328 on: April 28, 2019, 06:49:03 AM
Awesome.  :cheers:

:popcorn:

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #329 on: April 28, 2019, 09:37:56 AM
Andrew

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99