Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How do you guys carry larger SAKs?

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
on: August 16, 2017, 09:12:51 AM
I usually EDC my super slim Cadet, but lately I have been tempted by larger SAKs. Been spending some time  :drool: ing over pictures of Swisschamps and Cybertool Ms and Ls. Currently the largest SAK I own is my emerald Huntsman plus. I have been trying to carry it on the same P7 suspension that I usually EDC my Cadet on, tucked into the back corner of my front right pants pocket next to my cellphone. I have only been carrying the Huntsman for a day, but so far it just feels large and awkward. Those of you who carry larger SAKs on a daily basis, how do you carry them? Are there any tricks to it, or do I just need to get used to the increased mass?

Here's my Huntsman. We will see if it lasts in my EDC.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:52:31 AM by GoatDragon »

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Re: How do you guys carry larger SAKs?
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 09:22:10 AM
Good luck!  If I go over my two later Wenger SI I start to feel the added heft!

I'd say a belt sheath would be a good idea??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 09:30:19 AM
Belt sheath is an idea, but It feels so silly. I like having everything (save the tip of my P7 clips) inside my pockets. Gotta be stylish up in here.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:32:00 AM by GoatDragon »

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 09:57:59 AM
Belt sheath is an idea, but It feels so silly. I like having everything (save the tip of my P7 clips) inside my pockets. Gotta be stylish up in here.

I've always free pocket carried my sak's, regardless of size or layer number, no clips no nothing. But i got a little fed up with regular carry of larger saks and 91mm in general for edc with a size, bulk and stuff i don't really need, so i went 84, only carry 91's when on holidays, or weekends and stuff.
I also dislike belt sheath's , don't like the look and feels uncomfortable when sitting down.
But if you are set on carrying larger 91mm saks you'll probably get used to it in no time :cheers:

Just out of curiosity though... You carry your smartphone in the same pocket as your sak...?   ???
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 10:00:15 AM
You carry your smartphone in the same pocket as your sak...?

Yeah, with the P7 clip it holds the SAK vertical and behind the cellphone. Works great with my Cadet, I been carrying it like that for about two years now. Jury is still out on how well it works with the Huntsman.

And yeah it is a modern smartphone with a large glass screen, and the SAK has yet to crack or scratch the screen.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:08:00 AM by GoatDragon »

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 10:05:46 AM
I carry my swisschamp in a sheath in my pocket.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 10:10:19 AM
Inside your pocket you say. What kind of sheath?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 10:26:04 AM
Pocket carry here, up to and including CT41

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

england Offline Kev D

Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 10:35:22 AM
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:38:05 AM by Kevin Davey »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 10:42:01 AM

Just like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-Leather-Pouch-Layer-Black/dp/B0001P14OK/ref=pd_cp_200_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=R2N29QZFCPTQMW2NT3HN

EDIT: here's a pic of mine

That's a belt sheath...

Why use that if your putting it inside your pocket?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:45:38 AM by GoatDragon »

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 10:45:59 AM

I've always free pocket carried my sak's, regardless of size or layer number, no clips no nothing. But i got a little fed up with regular carry of larger saks and 91mm in general for edc with a size, bulk and stuff i don't really need, so i went 84, only carry 91's when on holidays, or weekends and stuff.
I also dislike belt sheath's , don't like the look and feels uncomfortable when sitting down.
But if you are set on carrying larger 91mm saks you'll probably get used to it in no time :cheers:

Just out of curiosity though... You carry your smartphone in the same pocket as your sak...?   ???

Exactly the same here. And always in my right front pocket. Unfortunately it did cost me a lot of jeans and other trousers because of wearing and tearing. I also lost a lot of knives this way, because they slipped out of my pocket. Now some French, Germans, Dutch, Africans and Americans are the lucky owners of my previous pocket knives... :(

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 10:54:17 AM
You carry your smartphone in the same pocket as your sak...?

Yeah, with the P7 clip it holds the SAK vertical and behind the cellphone. Works great with my Cadet, I been carrying it like that for about two years now. Jury is still out on how well it works with the Huntsman.

And yeah it is a modern smartphone with a large glass screen, and the SAK has yet to crack or scratch the screen.

Ok, just curious....  :) 
It's just that is something i would never do, but if it work's out good for you, great  :cheers:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 10:56:08 AM
I have recently started to carry my SAK's and MT in my back pocket. Just freely in the pocket

It's not failure if you learn something from it

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 11:03:03 AM
On my larger SAKs I like to have 3 or 4 inches of lanyard and a snap clip so the tool in my pocket is hanging from my belt or belt loop instead of the top of the pocket. It makes a difference, to me at least, in the weight distribution.
Anniversary Challenge 6.JPG
* Anniversary Challenge 6.JPG (Filesize: 162.94 KB)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 11:07:56 AM
I have recently started to carry my SAK's and MT in my back pocket. Just freely in the pocket

I heard that stuff in your back pockets can skew your spine over long periods due to sitting wonky?  :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 11:11:30 AM

I heard that stuff in your back pockets can skew your spine over long periods due to sitting wonky?  :think:
Yes, I have heard and noticed this too. But I don't keep any wallet or anything else in my back pockets and when I sitt down I usually put it over to the side of the pocket.. And with my skinny bum that means that I don't sit on it

If sitting for a long period of time (not that often) I take it out and put in beside me or in a front picket

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 11:59:22 AM
I use a suspension clip like the one in the first post for all my SAKs :cheers: I find that it makes even a Swisschamp seem way less bulky than just regular pocket carry to me :tu:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 12:20:27 PM

Just like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-Leather-Pouch-Layer-Black/dp/B0001P14OK/ref=pd_cp_200_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=R2N29QZFCPTQMW2NT3HN

That's a belt sheath...

yes it is, I pocket carry it for a few reasons...

I don't belt carry in public, our knife laws are a lot more strict than yours, and even though it's a legal carry tool, I still wouldn't want to open carry it where the local constabulary would get interested in me.
It helps protect the scales from scratches from my keys and change.
It helps keep the pocket lint and dust out of it.
It is also much smaller than my smart phone in my other pocket so I hardly notice it anyway.

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 02:55:44 PM
I carry my Explorer Plus and AAA light on a home made dangler.  I need it high so it's off the bottom of my pocket.
I'm right handed and therefore hold my phone in my left hand,  touch with my right hand fingers.  Because of that,  it makes sense for me to carry the phone front left pocket. If I carried it in the right,  I'd just have to switch it to my left hand. That frees my right front pocket for keys, knife/light,  and chapstick. It works really well.

In fact, I'm considering replacing the AAA flashlight with a CR123 light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:10:54 PM by Mizedog »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 03:08:12 PM
depending on the clothes and SAK I carry that day,  I've got three preferred methods for carrying bigger SAKs, in order of preference:

1. P7 or hanger. usually hanging inside the back pocket or a side/secondary pocket. It's key that the tool remains vertical and I've found the best carry results when you put more than one ring between the clip and the lanyard attachment on the SAK, as it allows the tool to rotate and accommodate into a straight, nice position.

If you only have one ring joining the SAK and the clip together, it usually forces the tool into awkward positions in your pocket.

2. Pocket sheath/organiser.
It's easy, put the SAK (and usually other goodies like lighters, AAA flashlights or pens) inside a leather slip or sheath, a slim "wallet-like" confectionery that has one, two or more pockets in which you can fit EDC stuff and have them straight, classified and steady. You then put the "wallet" sheath into your pocket, where it remains still and vertical. THis also allows you to put a wallet, card or a phone in the same pocket without risking any damage, scratch or so.
Something like this one that Aloha007 made:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,72132.0.html

3. Belt sheath.
I agree that this method is not for everyone or every place/context, but if you want free pockets this is a classy solution. Usually I carry the SAK in a Gerber belt sheath or a brown leather one from Victorinox. As for the catching on things, being uncomfortable when sitting or damaging your back, I've always carried MTs in the back but SAKs that go in belt sheaths always go in the front, at 10-11 or 1-2 positions from the clock. I can easily sit and avoid grabbing on things or being annoying if I carry a man bag, sling bag or normal backpack, and they're not so tall that they hurt or pinch the belly if you crouch, kneel or bow

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 03:09:35 PM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #21 on: August 16, 2017, 05:31:36 PM
Haven't actually used it yet, but I'm hoping this will work.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #22 on: August 16, 2017, 07:56:45 PM
On my larger SAKs I like to have 3 or 4 inches of lanyard and a snap clip so the tool in my pocket is hanging from my belt or belt loop instead of the top of the pocket. It makes a difference, to me at least, in the weight distribution.

Now that is a good idea! I do think I shall try that!  :tu:

The suspension clip is perfect for small SAKs, but perhaps this method is more effective for the big boys.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #23 on: August 16, 2017, 08:20:03 PM
Anything up to the CT41 gets pocket carried, including the soldier 08. SwiisChamp goes in a belt sheath. No photo's due to my worse than useless internet connection.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #24 on: August 16, 2017, 08:57:20 PM
My Cadet found its way back into my pocket today. As hard as I may try, I can't keep it out of there! It really is a struggle for me to impliment the rest of my collection into regular use!  :ahhh

Also I took my Huntsman and Farmer into the back yard for testing today and carved some ~1 inch thick branches down into stakes to test them out. The Farmer really out preforms the Huntsman for wood carving. But it doesn't have scissors, scale or back side tools! Now I can't even decide which larger SAK I want to try to carry!  :ahhh :ahhh

Anything up to the CT41 gets pocket carried, including the soldier 08. SwiisChamp goes in a belt sheath. No photo's due to my worse than useless internet connection.

Which pocket do you keep the big ones in, and does anything else ride in the same pocket?

Your cat avatar is hypnotizing me btw.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #25 on: August 16, 2017, 09:04:22 PM
My Cadet found its way back into my pocket today. As hard as I may try, I can't keep it out of there! It really is a struggle for me to impliment the rest of my collection into regular use!  :ahhh

Also I took my Huntsman and Farmer into the back yard for testing today and carved some ~1 inch thick branches down into stakes to test them out. The Farmer really out preforms the Huntsman for wood carving. But it doesn't have scissors, scale or back side tools! Now I can't even decide which larger SAK I want to try to carry!  :ahhh :ahhh

Which pocket do you keep the big ones in, and does anything else ride in the same pocket?

Your cat avatar is hypnotizing me btw.

The cat works in mysterious ways, it either captivates or infuriates, there is no middle ground lol

Anyhoo, normally front left, in normal trousers or left hand knife/magazine pocket on 511's. I prefer the 511's little pocket, prybar and torch go in the right hand knife/magazine pocket.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 09:14:10 PM
if it's 4+ layers (even 3 sometimes) or 108+mm, a sheath on the belt  :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #27 on: August 16, 2017, 10:19:54 PM

That's a belt sheath...

yes it is, I pocket carry it for a few reasons...

I don't belt carry in public, our knife laws are a lot more strict than yours, and even though it's a legal carry tool, I still wouldn't want to open carry it where the local constabulary would get interested in me.
It helps protect the scales from scratches from my keys and change.
It helps keep the pocket lint and dust out of it.
It is also much smaller than my smart phone in my other pocket so I hardly notice it anyway.

I tend to agree with most of this but ... I do have a belt pouch for my SC and happily carry that because for the most part I'm not in town.
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: August 17, 2017, 12:07:12 AM
Hard not to love the Cadet for it's small size and ease of carry. No doubt.

I find I just get used to a larger knife in my pocket over time, but I draw the line at the Fieldmaster/Huntsman.  The Spartan or Pioneer just seem right to me. I'm doing the PX 30-day challenge and I now don't notice the 3-later Alox in my pocket. I'm sure that after the challenge a Tinker will feel like a Cadet.

The 111mm or 130mm models usually go in a pack or bag. Rarely, like maybe once or twice, I carry my 130mm Ranger in a rain jacket pocket.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #29 on: August 18, 2017, 01:49:38 PM
I guess it depends on what kind of pants you wear. Are they men's pants or not?! Just kidding!
Seriously, though, I think it does depend on the pants--or more specifically, how large the pockets are.
I carry a rather large Vic Craftsman as my EDC and I pretty much don't ever feel it. I buy pants and cargo shorts with large front pockets. I can't stand tight pockets.

Here's the big beast I carry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69