Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How do you guys carry larger SAKs?

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Re: How do you guys carry larger SAKs?
Reply #30 on: August 18, 2017, 11:25:03 PM
I agree with T_Y that it depends somewhat on the type of pants/shorts you're wearing. However, I pretty much draw the line at 2- to 3-layers going into my pockets, especially after getting the "are you just glad to see me" line from a friend when pocket carrying a Deluxe Tinker 20 years ago. Since then, anything larger than the SuperTinker or Yeoman goes into a sheath.

Here's a picture I just shared in a thread on Cybertools. I use the Zermat sheaths for the most part, using the Med for 3- to 4-layers and the Lrg for anything larger.  I do have an older nylon horizontal belt sheath (Belt Hugger) that I like even for the Yeoman. It's much more unobtrusive visually and less constrictive.
20170723_104001.jpg
* 20170723_104001.jpg (Filesize: 217.61 KB)
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #31 on: August 19, 2017, 03:54:06 AM
Think I can see a picture of that "belt hugger sheath"?

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #32 on: August 19, 2017, 05:06:57 AM
I agree with T_Y that it depends somewhat on the type of pants/shorts you're wearing. However, I pretty much draw the line at 2- to 3-layers going into my pockets, especially after getting the "are you just glad to see me" line from a friend when pocket carrying a Deluxe Tinker 20 years ago. Since then, anything larger than the SuperTinker or Yeoman goes into a sheath...
I don't sheath carry because I usually don't wear a belt. Of course, I don't tuck my shirts in either.
That said, I do like the looks of your sheaths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #33 on: August 19, 2017, 06:54:13 AM

Also I took my Huntsman and Farmer into the back yard for testing today and carved some ~1 inch thick branches down into stakes to test them out. The Farmer really out preforms the Huntsman for wood carving.

Sorry to go off topic,  but in a couple words, would you explain how the Farmer out performs in carving? Is it the awl that makes the difference?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #34 on: August 19, 2017, 07:27:36 AM

Also I took my Huntsman and Farmer into the back yard for testing today and carved some ~1 inch thick branches down into stakes to test them out. The Farmer really out preforms the Huntsman for wood carving.

Sorry to go off topic,  but in a couple words, would you explain how the Farmer out performs in carving? Is it the awl that makes the difference?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's the awl. I tried to put a hole through a ~1.5 inch thick branch with the Huntsman's awl and it made it half way through and just stopped working. I probably could have forced it to make the hole but it was getting really difficult. I put it down and tried the same thing with the Farmer's awl and it burned a hole through like a twisty laser.

Offline Eyegor

Reply #35 on: August 20, 2017, 12:13:57 AM
Call me different. I EDC a Wenger Ranger 56 in regular pocket carry. I also carry a Mag50 AAAx3. A Vic champ is certainly no larger than that.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 12:16:57 AM by Eyegor »
T

id Offline classicrock

• With every mistake we must surely be learning
Reply #36 on: August 20, 2017, 01:37:48 AM
I prefer the belt sheath when I carry my Swisschamp.

Sent from my A37f using Tapatalk

-Supported by Manager/Small Tinker/Compact/Deluxe Tinker/Spirit XC-

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69