Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which SAK would you take backpacking?

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
on: August 16, 2017, 09:45:17 PM
Say you were going to spend an extented period of time out in the wilderness carrying all your gear and supplies. You are going to be hiking a considerable distance, so weight is a consideration. Which SAK (or SAKs) would you bring?

Follow up question, what other knives, tools or multitools might you also bring along?

Personally, I am split between my Farmer and my Huntsman. Both have their merrits and I can't decide which would get priority. If I did take the Farmer I would probably also throw a Classic in my pack to get the scissors and tweezers. I would also bring a lightweight fixed blade with me. A Mora Companion HD or possibly my new Eldris. Between a SAK with a saw and a fixed blade Mora, I would be able to do most anything I needed out there.

How would you get the most usefulness out of the least amount of weight?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:47:07 PM by GoatDragon »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Which SAK would you take backpacking?
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 09:59:04 PM
I know it's weighty, but I'd carry my Swisschamp just because it's got nearly everything I need. For a larger fixed blade I would take my Izula II and on my belt I'd have my bladeless MP400. For firewood etc I'd strap my new Hultafors axe (Thanks Smashie  :salute:) to my pack.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 09:59:29 PM
Original Outdoorsman

I'd take some form of pliers tool too.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 10:09:15 PM
I don't mind some extra weight in my backpack, I'm quite used to it. I would take my alox EDC combo (Solo, Carver, PX, and MiniChamp) and a 111mm combo (Hunter and Helmsman). I might add the Cold Steel Pocket Bushman, Opinel #12 woodsaw, and a fixed blade, Böker Steel Ranger.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 10:13:31 PM
I think your selection may depend on your trip goals. Through hiking? Bushcrafting? Wilderness education/guiding? Foolin' around in the wood for a month?

For a through hike of the Appalachian trail, you may do well with just a Classic SD. Some have used just that one light-weight tool for the entire trail. I'd definitely want some small scissors to cut tape and moleskin!

For an extended stay in the Alaskan wilderness, where you'll be collecting your own fuel and building shelters, I'd go with a SIlky saw and an axe. Plus a Classic SD. I once saw a survival training film where an Ojibway woodsman used one axe to build fire, shelter, traps for food, and a canoe. An axe in the hands of a skilled woodsman is an impressive tool!

I generally have a preference for Alox knives because the tools are a bit thicker, more heavy-duty. A Farmer is the choice I have made on many short trips (2-5 days), I don't mind the little bit of extra weight. 

It would be hard to argue with a Pioneer X combined with a folding saw (Silky Saw), if I were to be gathering fuel, e.g. for a hunting camp. For hunting and fishing, you may want to add a specialized fixed blade knife to process game and fish, but a 91/93mm SAK does a fine job with small stuff.

Many a Backpacking guru has specified the Super Tinker as combining the features of being light weight and versatile. Hard to argue with that.

us Offline dkop1

• Acknowledged blade-aholic who isn't seeking help.
Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 10:16:43 PM
weekend to 5-days? probably my climber or huntsman and izula II.
long term? OH GAK and a small hatchet.
Most camping trips have me packing the huntsman along.
"Have yourself a nice long rest and be back here in twelve minutes."
"All the good times, that's what I'll remember. I think there were three."

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 10:17:41 PM
Huntsman for me. 

gb Offline daverobson

Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 10:49:07 PM
My backpacking SAK would have to be my Alox Huntsman :tu:

Probably teamed up with my Casstrom No.10 SFK & Bacho Laplander.

This will shock one or two members but would you believe I don't own any axes. :ahhh
Alox Huntsman.jpg
* Alox Huntsman.jpg (Filesize: 145.79 KB)

england Offline Kev D

Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 10:51:35 PM
I'd take a pioneer and swisschamp

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 11:12:51 PM
Rucksack & Ambassador
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 11:54:25 PM
Just had this discussion last night with a friend. Since we won't be through-hiking, we decided to learn more about lightweight backpacking 3-5 days with a pack about 25-26lbs.

With that in mind, I'll be taking either the SuperTinker or Yeoman in my pocket and the LM KF4 in the backpack waist belt. I'll throw a 4" Bucklite Max in pack. These should cover most anything I run into. No big saws or hatchets.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline dkop1

Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 12:03:43 AM
Just had this discussion last night with a friend. Since we won't be through-hiking, we decided to learn more about lightweight backpacking 3-5 days with a pack about 25-26lbs.

With that in mind, I'll be taking either the SuperTinker or Yeoman in my pocket and the LM KF4 in the backpack waist belt. I'll throw a 4" Bucklite Max in pack. These should cover most anything I run into. No big saws or hatchets.
Just curious, why the third blade?
Most UL packers I know carry nothing bigger than a classic or a tiny, single blade folder. I personally thing a classic alone is a little bit too... little, for time in the outdoors. But hey, to each his own!

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 12:09:02 AM

Just curious, why the third blade?
Most UL packers I know carry nothing bigger than a classic or a tiny, single blade folder. I personally thing a classic alone is a little bit too... little, for time in the outdoors. But hey, to each his own!

Since we're not trying to UL and based on life experiences, I have an aversion to going backpacking without a sturdy fixed-blade available. Going camping with just a Classic or Rambler is possible, it's just not my style. It's probably just the old Boy Scout in me...you know, Be Prepared.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline dkop1

Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 12:18:29 AM
Can't argue with the old boy scout instincts.... I tend to have 2 means of doing everything when I go. 3 for fire, 2 means of cutting, 2 potential cooking vessels, 2 means of sterliizing water, 2 methods of navigation.... the works.

But I have learned to trim down a bit over the years. I can still have my redundancies with slightly less gear now  :D

speaking of the yeoman, I really ought to get myself a skipper...

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 12:36:52 AM
Wilderness isn't generally very wild or much far from civilization here. Unless you are on a rocky islet or the top of a mountain. Also, Greek flora is lit very easily (dry and usually resinous) and collected from the floor directly; no need for axes and saws usually. Wood is usually soft.
So, I would take a Swisscamp and a Scandinavian fixed blade or my Helle Skala. In fact my Wenger Ranger Hunter could substitute the fixed blade (that's what I really carry now during vacations, but there's a Bahco in my car) and I would use my Alox with scissors for scissors and a clean blade for food in place of the Swisschamp.
Wilderness in Southeastern Europe, after many millennia of civilization (5000 years in my country) is so different than in US, Oceania and much of Asia. Bushcraft is almost impossible here, you may find a canteen in the most remote places and goats almost everywhere. Drinkable water is the challenge in the driest places. And shade. Much like in the deserts.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 01:14:50 AM
Chuck Yeager went on backpacking and living off the land trips  for week+ periods with an executive.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 02:57:17 AM
Chuck Yeager went on backpacking and living off the land trips  for week+ periods with an executive.

+1 Pablo, that is a fact..it's quite doable.  I've done week-long trips in the Southwest before with just my old Ulster BSA folder and once did 2 wks around Rocky Mtn Natl Park with just a Buck 112 Ranger. 

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 03:18:25 AM
...once did 2 wks around Rocky Mtn Natl Park with just a Buck 112 Ranger.

Oh, I'm not sure the words 'just' and 'Buck 112 Ranger' should be juxtaposed in a sentence. 

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 04:17:23 AM
Victorinox Craftsman. It's my all-time favorite. It's my EDC and my go-to for everything. I've used it to repair everything from installing a swimming pool pump motor to fixing a car to installing electric lighting, trimming trees and pruning plants, repairing duct work, cutting food, etc. There isn't much I've done without this SAK and I can't think of too many things it couldn't do. Has nearly every important tool on it.

Other tools? My LightMyFire titanium spork. I use it for lunch at work and it's pretty awesome.

Maybe also an Eastwing hatchet, but those can get heavy after a few miles.

Beyond a doubt, I'd also take the G.I. entrenching tool (aka "E tool") issued to me in the Army

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 05:58:40 AM by Tired_Yeti »

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 05:19:37 AM
...once did 2 wks around Rocky Mtn Natl Park with just a Buck 112 Ranger.

Oh, I'm not sure the words 'just' and 'Buck 112 Ranger' should be juxtaposed in a sentence.

:2tu:

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #20 on: August 17, 2017, 06:24:55 AM
Back in my Scouting days, I always had a Boy Scout knife in my pocket when out in the woods. It was often accompanied by a Western sheath knife or a Buck 110 folder for heavier chores, and occasionally by a True Temper hatchet. All depended on what I was planning to do, and what others were carrying, particularly in the way of hatchets/axes.

Haven't done much camping in recent years, but suspect the lineup would now include a Vic Huntsman (a regular carry when hiking), a Fallkniven S-1, and the same True Temper hatchet.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 17, 2017, 06:35:52 AM
This is the most of I've ever carried even for cold winter camping.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 06:38:13 AM
This is the most of I've ever carried even for cold winter camping.

Show content

What model folding saw and fixed blade is that? They are sexy.

And do you find any advantage to having both your large folding saw and your Farmer's saw? I imagine if I had the large folding saw with me I could save some weight and take a Pioneer or anything smaller instead of a Farmer.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 07:01:48 AM
The saw is a Silky Super Accel 21 and the knife is a Bark River Aurora. You could build a log cabin with that saw :D I've cut 6 - 8 inch diameter deadfall in a minute or two. Love that beast. The Farmer saw is just backup but good for detail work. If I recall correctly the total weight of all of those tools in under 1 pound.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: August 17, 2017, 07:30:15 AM
I've read that a lot of seasoned thru hikers who do the AT and PCT carry a small knife if any.  Its kinda a trick question since this is a MT forum. 

I love having a fixed blade on me that being said I'd carry a larger SAK like a 111mm with saw. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #25 on: August 17, 2017, 07:33:44 AM
I've read that a lot of seasoned thru hikers who do the AT and PCT carry a small knife if any.  Its kinda a trick question since this is a MT forum. 

I love having a fixed blade on me that being said I'd carry a larger SAK like a 111mm with saw.

I hear that as well. Always leaves me wondering how they make camp fires if they have no way of processing wood beyond bashing it against rocks...  :think:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 07:46:42 AM

I hear that as well. Always leaves me wondering how they make camp fires if they have no way of processing wood beyond bashing it against rocks...  :think:

Some states don't allow for camp fires but those that do I would think small enough twigs with whatever dry debris would work.  I understand there is no right answer cause I've also read that some bring concealed weapons on the trail.  I've read a lot about what some say when seeing those with fixed blades on the trail.   I guess since we're a MT site and not a ultralight backpacking site we're going to be more about the tools.  I think a 111mm with saw if a fine tool to have on the trail.  Add scissors and thats a great tool IMO.  I've had to cut mole skin and I can tell you a knife sucks at doing it.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 17, 2017, 08:06:33 AM
For me it is not about how many miles I can cover or how many days I can thru hike a trail in. I often enjoy bushwacking over following trails. On trails I try to be discreet about carrying a big knife but I see no issue, other than weight, with wanting to carry a concealed weapon. There is no 911 when you are out there and while here in the northeast the black bears I've encountered are pretty timid, you just don't really know how an animal will react. I've only had one slightly uncomfortable encounter with a person and unless he had a weapon I'm pretty sure I would have gotten away fine if things got ugly. Manners may maketh a man but tools also maketh a man.

de Offline Shuya

Reply #28 on: August 17, 2017, 08:49:25 AM
It all depends. Im a regular Backpacker ( = taking tent and stuff and walking long distance trails, usually 2 Weeks at a time) or do multi day backpacking trips to the mountains.

List of Knives I took on some of my Trails as examples:

2 Weeks in the swedish bush, overnighters in small shacks along the trail or in a tent: Victorinox Trailmaster. Nice tool, missed pliers some times, those in Medkit were too large sometimes.

2 Weeks in the scottish hignlands, with Tent: Victorinox Craftsman (no locking stuff for legal reasons, lots of functions, didnt need half of them, may change that next time, but were nice for tinkering).
Several multi-day or one week trecks into the Alps with overnighters in Huts of the Alpine Club: Victorinox Deluxe Tinker
2 Weeks Treck in the Alps with GF and very light Setup (no Tent, overnighters in Huts or B&B: Outrider.

On Dayhikes often the Workchamp nowadays since I am a Daddy now and I want to be prepared for all the mess and requirements a little daughter brings into live.

So I changed and testet quite a bit.
Didnt use a lot of the functions, sometimes missed a few things.
For me now it all depends on the circumstances.
Do I get to prepare lots of food and cook? 111mm or 130mm.
Are there legal resons against locking tools or do I want to get lighter? 91mm.

For now I usally take a knife with Scissors, as I found them very usefull. Extra tools depend. For High Altitude trecks (>2000m, where there are no trees at all) I dont need a saw, plus going light is the goal, so Delux-Tinker for the small pliers (removing ticks and splinters and small repairs).
Otherwise I would grab my Outrider all the day now and add a extra tool with pliers if I need to do repairs that require pliers, eg. PS4 or PST for the compactness.
Have a Workchamp and stuff, but way too heavy for the pocket, Outrider is the maximum weight I wand to have dangling in my trousers.

I reduce the Knife-Loadout on those trips a lot, on normal EDC basis I go way heavier.  :multi:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:50:28 AM by Shuya »

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #29 on: August 17, 2017, 09:19:14 AM
For me it is not about how many miles I can cover or how many days I can thru hike a trail in. I often enjoy bushwacking over following trails. On trails I try to be discreet about carrying a big knife but I see no issue, other than weight, with wanting to carry a concealed weapon. There is no 911 when you are out there and while here in the northeast the black bears I've encountered are pretty timid, you just don't really know how an animal will react. I've only had one slightly uncomfortable encounter with a person and unless he had a weapon I'm pretty sure I would have gotten away fine if things got ugly. Manners may maketh a man but tools also maketh a man.
You carry a big knife out there, or a gun?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%