Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which SAK would you take backpacking?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Re: Which SAK would you take backpacking?
Reply #30 on: August 17, 2017, 09:22:52 AM
I've got no need for a fixed blade, axe or large saw on most of my trips (not backpacking, but off-road cycle touring) - I'll be carrying a stove and fuel with no intention of lighting a fire, and with no need to clear brush or vegetation.  A Spirit or Rebar + Rambler will cover pretty much everything I can think of, and if I wanted to go really light, I'd just take a Craftsman.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #31 on: August 17, 2017, 11:33:13 AM
I've got no need for a fixed blade, axe or large saw on most of my trips (not backpacking, but off-road cycle touring) - I'll be carrying a stove and fuel with no intention of lighting a fire, and with no need to clear brush or vegetation.  A Spirit or Rebar + Rambler will cover pretty much everything I can think of, and if I wanted to go really light, I'd just take a Craftsman.
But surely a craftsman would need his or her own bike + toolbox Chris. I call foul play!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

england Offline Kev D

Reply #32 on: August 17, 2017, 11:53:53 AM

You mean you wouldn't carry one of these fine bike tools? https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,71073.msg1437965.html#msg1437965

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #33 on: August 17, 2017, 03:09:13 PM
My pick would be the Craftsman, with it's awesome saw and pliers to lift that hot cuppa from the backpacking stove.  My second choice would be a Trekker and a Swisstool.  It's hard to beat that 111 saw.  I used my GAK and my Gerber 400 on my last trek.  Last year I took only a Minichamp, which worked great until we needed a saw.  My son and his Hiker saved the day.
Barry

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: August 17, 2017, 07:28:27 PM
Back in my Scouting days, I always had a Boy Scout knife in my pocket when out in the woods. It was often accompanied by a Western sheath knife or a Buck 110 folder for heavier chores, and occasionally by a True Temper hatchet. All depended on what I was planning to do, and what others were carrying, particularly in the way of hatchets/axes.

Haven't done much camping in recent years, but suspect the lineup would now include a Vic Huntsman (a regular carry when hiking), a Fallkniven S-1, and the same True Temper hatchet.

Oh yeah, my tool compliment was very similar back in those days.   :cheers:   Funny though, even living in Boulder, my Dad only got us Buck fixed knives even though Western was right in town, so I never had one. But that was in the days when camping stoves weren't used much...we always built fires and cooked real food; dehydrated stuff was just in it's infancy (mostly just Tang, Swiss Miss, and powdered milk). And our packs were always weighing in the 35+ lb range for weekend trips.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: August 17, 2017, 07:32:38 PM
It all depends. Im a regular Backpacker ( = taking tent and stuff and walking long distance trails, usually 2 Weeks at a time) or do multi day backpacking trips to the mountains.

List of Knives I took on some of my Trails as examples:

2 Weeks in the swedish bush, overnighters in small shacks along the trail or in a tent: Victorinox Trailmaster. Nice tool, missed pliers some times, those in Medkit were too large sometimes.

2 Weeks in the scottish hignlands, with Tent: Victorinox Craftsman (no locking stuff for legal reasons, lots of functions, didnt need half of them, may change that next time, but were nice for tinkering).
Several multi-day or one week trecks into the Alps with overnighters in Huts of the Alpine Club: Victorinox Deluxe Tinker
2 Weeks Treck in the Alps with GF and very light Setup (no Tent, overnighters in Huts or B&B: Outrider.

On Dayhikes often the Workchamp nowadays since I am a Daddy now and I want to be prepared for all the mess and requirements a little daughter brings into live.

So I changed and testet quite a bit.
Didnt use a lot of the functions, sometimes missed a few things.
For me now it all depends on the circumstances.
Do I get to prepare lots of food and cook? 111mm or 130mm.
Are there legal resons against locking tools or do I want to get lighter? 91mm.

For now I usally take a knife with Scissors, as I found them very usefull. Extra tools depend. For High Altitude trecks (>2000m, where there are no trees at all) I dont need a saw, plus going light is the goal, so Delux-Tinker for the small pliers (removing ticks and splinters and small repairs).
Otherwise I would grab my Outrider all the day now and add a extra tool with pliers if I need to do repairs that require pliers, eg. PS4 or PST for the compactness.
Have a Workchamp and stuff, but way too heavy for the pocket, Outrider is the maximum weight I wand to have dangling in my trousers.

I reduce the Knife-Loadout on those trips a lot, on normal EDC basis I go way heavier.  :multi:

Great approach and evolution of your carry.   :cheers:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: August 18, 2017, 02:31:13 AM
When I deployed to Afghanistan I took an Alox Farmer. Useful little tool.

I also carried a Gossman survival knife. Never used it.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #37 on: August 18, 2017, 02:51:32 AM
When I deployed to Afghanistan I took an Alox Farmer. Useful little tool.

I also carried a Gossman survival knife. Never used it.

Did you ever wish you had brought a different SAK?
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: August 18, 2017, 02:56:37 AM
Great question.  :tu:

Nope.

(I brought a spare pair of tweezers.)

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #39 on: August 18, 2017, 03:17:58 AM
Great question.  :tu:

Nope.

(I brought a spare pair of tweezers.)

haha, and didn't miss scissors?  and the saw came in handy?
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: August 18, 2017, 03:23:44 AM

I recall using the saw once: used it to enlarge a vent hole from our 'B' Hut.

I don't remember wishing I had brought scissors. However, in restrospect, I might have gone with a Pioneer X in lieu of the Farmer.

I had a Special Forces instructor who impressed upon me how useful a SAK saw could be. So, Farmer. But....the Pioneer X is so darn useful as an EDC....

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #41 on: August 18, 2017, 05:32:52 AM

I don't remember wishing I had brought scissors. However, in restrospect, I might have gone with a Pioneer X in lieu of the Farmer.

I had a Special Forces instructor who impressed upon me how useful a SAK saw could be. So, Farmer. But....the Pioneer X is so darn useful as an EDC....
  :hatsoff:

It's a daily dilemma choosing a SAK for me... Still don't have an X.

:cheers:

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #42 on: August 18, 2017, 07:11:36 AM

Got a Huntsman? Cause then you can have scissors and saw. I only wish they came in alox...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 07:13:09 AM by GoatDragon »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #43 on: August 18, 2017, 07:19:13 AM

Got a Huntsman? Cause then you can have scissors and saw. I only wish they came in alox...

Indubitably.  I'll carry one every once in awhile.  I usually like to keep it to 2 layers sometimes 3.  So I end up carrying a compact. Or an alox soldier or pioneer.

Other regular carries include a climber, Explorer Farmer, SI, tourist.   

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #44 on: August 18, 2017, 07:21:38 AM

Indubitably.  I'll carry one every once in awhile.  I usually like to keep it to 2 layers sometimes 3.  So I end up carrying a compact. Or an alox soldier or pioneer.

Other regular carries include a climber, Explorer Farmer, SI, tourist.
Explorer is four layer. And slightly thicker than a Huntsman's four layers to boot.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #45 on: August 18, 2017, 07:26:17 AM
For sure. If i do four + I'll keep it in a sheath.  Ranger and Champion are fun too. :cheers:

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #46 on: August 18, 2017, 01:41:14 PM
This is the most of I've ever carried even for cold winter camping.

(Image removed from quote.)

Reminds me...I have one is these wire saws. I've used it (very little). Seems to work well and it's sharp enough to be fast. I'm not certain of its long-term durability, though. Even so, if weight was an important factor, I might take it over a hatchet. I like your folding saw. I used to have one. It grew legs one day and walked into the arms of one of my "friend's".

My main issue for the hatchet rather than the saw is that my SAK has a sharp saw already and I can't split wood with a saw like I can with a hatchet. Not to mention, the back of the hatchet is a good hammer and the saw is a terrible hammer.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 01:43:43 PM by Tired_Yeti »

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #47 on: August 18, 2017, 01:51:47 PM

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: August 18, 2017, 05:09:24 PM

The struggle is real  :whistle:

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline rfogle

Reply #49 on: August 18, 2017, 09:25:16 PM
I have a classic that I have taken on all my backpacking trips this year. Sometimes I wish it had a can opener, but I manage to get by without, or bring a little P-38 separately. A bigger knife is nice to have but usually not necessary for the trips I take... if I were to need one, I'd probably bring a Mora or something similar, and keep the classic for the scissors/tweezer/screwdriver. Don't see much use for in-between size folders.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: August 18, 2017, 10:30:44 PM
I have a classic that I have taken on all my backpacking trips this year. Sometimes I wish it had a can opener, but I manage to get by without, or bring a little P-38 separately. A bigger knife is nice to have but usually not necessary for the trips I take... if I were to need one, I'd probably bring a Mora or something similar, and keep the classic for the scissors/tweezer/screwdriver. Don't see much use for in-between size folders.

Thanks for sharing Rfogle!  Great input.   :cheers:

I enjoy this thread to see what others' experiences are regarding the types of backpacking/camping they do and what they find is important regarding knives and MUTs. Knowing that it's all a question of personal taste/values, type of environments being enjoyed (where on this earth are you), and legal ramifications, I find it a great learning/sharing experience to see how everybody looks at it.  :tu:

de Offline Shuya

Reply #51 on: August 19, 2017, 11:32:51 AM
Several multi-day or one week trecks into the Alps with overnighters in Huts of the Alpine Club: Victorinox Deluxe Tinker

Just to add something colorfull...
Deluxe Tinker at about 2300m in the Alps this summer (no chance to get higher with my light equipment, everything above 2500m was covered in a lot of snow). My Path was on the ridge shown in the second pic.
SAK1.jpg
* SAK1.jpg (Filesize: 693.29 KB)
sak2.jpg
* sak2.jpg (Filesize: 164.51 KB)

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #52 on: August 19, 2017, 12:14:55 PM
Nice :tu:  - that's steep! 

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #53 on: August 19, 2017, 02:00:12 PM

Hey heeeeey!!! I like that a lot! Thanks for that!

Made me wonder if another way might be to use the SAK to whittle a wedge of wood (if you couldn't find a sharp stone), then saw the end of the log part way in, jam the wedge into the slot you sawed, then strike it against a hard surface. Sort of an improvised "hammer and wedge" system.

There ya go! Between those 2 methods, you really just need a SAK with a saw and you can leave the hatchet at home.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #54 on: August 19, 2017, 02:02:32 PM
To each his own, but I haven't found much of anything that the scissors do that I can't/don't usually do with the small blade.
Personally, I find Victorinox's scissors to be one of the weaker tools in their SAKs. The blades chip easily and that spring! OMG! That spring is pretty awful. Wenger figured the scissors out. Vic, not so much.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 02:05:26 PM by Tired_Yeti »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: August 19, 2017, 04:13:38 PM

To each his own, but I haven't found much of anything that the scissors do that I can't/don't usually do with the small blade.
Personally, I find Victorinox's scissors to be one of the weaker tools in their SAKs. The blades chip easily and that spring! OMG! That spring is pretty awful. Wenger figured the scissors out. Vic, not so much.

I hear ya, Yeti.

I'm prone to getting blisters on hot walks. I find the scissors to be very useful in trimming moleskin or leukotape to care for blisters. Sometimes it's easier to use the scissors to trim a small piece of fabric or thread in a tight spot. (I also use the scissors to trim my beard & mustache when traveling.) While the scissors seem delicate, I haven't had a problem with breakage. Depending on the hike/trip, I might prefer the scissors over the saw. Or....there's always the Fieldmaster.  :D

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #56 on: August 19, 2017, 04:33:46 PM

I hear ya, Yeti.

I'm prone to getting blisters on hot walks. I find the scissors to be very useful in trimming moleskin or leukotape to care for blisters. Sometimes it's easier to use the scissors to trim a small piece of fabric or thread in a tight spot. (I also use the scissors to trim my beard & mustache when traveling.) While the scissors seem delicate, I haven't had a problem with breakage. Depending on the hike/trip, I might prefer the scissors over the saw. Or....there's always the Fieldmaster.  :D
Funny, the Vic SAK scissors are widely considered to be the best in the multitool world.  :)
The only scissors considered to come close are the Micra scissors apparently. Which are huge.  :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline rfogle

Reply #57 on: August 19, 2017, 05:39:22 PM
Scissors are far safer than knives, which is why I use mine whenever possible when backpacking alone. Especially useful for removing bandages. I'm not gonna try and slip a knife in there, no way!

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #58 on: August 19, 2017, 06:02:00 PM
Scissors are far safer than knives, which is why I use mine whenever possible when backpacking alone. Especially useful for removing bandages. I'm not gonna try and slip a knife in there, no way!
Aw, come on! Where's your sense of adventure?

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: August 19, 2017, 06:23:10 PM

While I generally find Vic scissors to be functionally fantastic, I do agree with with the first part. If I'm going to add an additional layer to the saw, I'd rather have a file since it expands the capability of the tool more than having scissors does.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%