Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which SAK would you take backpacking?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: Which SAK would you take backpacking?
Reply #60 on: August 19, 2017, 08:57:37 PM

To each his own, but I haven't found much of anything that the scissors do that I can't/don't usually do with the small blade.
Personally, I find Victorinox's scissors to be one of the weaker tools in their SAKs. The blades chip easily and that spring! OMG! That spring is pretty awful. Wenger figured the scissors out. Vic, not so much.

I hear ya, Yeti.

I'm prone to getting blisters on hot walks. I find the scissors to be very useful in trimming moleskin or leukotape to care for blisters. Sometimes it's easier to use the scissors to trim a small piece of fabric or thread in a tight spot. (I also use the scissors to trim my beard & mustache when traveling.) While the scissors seem delicate, I haven't had a problem with breakage. Depending on the hike/trip, I might prefer the scissors over the saw. Or....there's always the Fieldmaster.  :D
Funny, the Vic SAK scissors are widely considered to be the best in the multitool world.  :)
The only scissors considered to come close are the Micra scissors apparently. Which are huge.  :think:

I was also like   ???  because SAK scissors are the scissors. All around the forums, and the internet in general, praised, loved, and the ones against all other scissors are measured.

Can't' beat them for precision, clean cutting and overall usefulness !!!  :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #61 on: August 19, 2017, 10:36:28 PM

To each his own, but I haven't found much of anything that the scissors do that I can't/don't usually do with the small blade.
Personally, I find Victorinox's scissors to be one of the weaker tools in their SAKs. The blades chip easily and that spring! OMG! That spring is pretty awful. Wenger figured the scissors out. Vic, not so much.

I hear ya, Yeti.

I'm prone to getting blisters on hot walks. I find the scissors to be very useful in trimming moleskin or leukotape to care for blisters. Sometimes it's easier to use the scissors to trim a small piece of fabric or thread in a tight spot. (I also use the scissors to trim my beard & mustache when traveling.) While the scissors seem delicate, I haven't had a problem with breakage. Depending on the hike/trip, I might prefer the scissors over the saw. Or....there's always the Fieldmaster.  :D
Funny, the Vic SAK scissors are widely considered to be the best in the multitool world.  :)
The only scissors considered to come close are the Micra scissors apparently. Which are huge.  :think:

I was also like   ???  because SAK scissors are the scissors. All around the forums, and the internet in general, praised, loved, and the ones against all other scissors are measured.

(Image removed from quote.)

You might want to sit down for this. Are you guys sitting down?
Victorinox scissors have been debated "all around the forums" for years. I remember them being debated and compared as far back as 2003 when I first hit the multi tool forums. I remember my friends debating them (and other tools) in the 1990's when we began comparing our SAKs against Leatherman and then Gerber (and later SOG).
So as hard as it is to believe, there are some people who aren't thrilled with the Vic scissor springs. Some people have even said that Wenger's scissors seem more sturdy (and I'm not the first one to say that). Certainly the micro serrations on the Wenger scissors make them seem to be a bit more aggressive cutters. The object being cut has less likelihood of sliding forward out of the blades.
As it is, I only own one Wenger tool so I end up carrying Vic scissors with me daily. I use them. They usually work without trouble. They're certainly no worse than the scissors in my Squirt. I'm not saying they suck. I'm just not convinced they're the Holy Grail of MT scissors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #62 on: August 19, 2017, 11:06:02 PM

I hear ya, Yeti.

You might want to sit down for this. Are you guys sitting down?
Victorinox scissors have been debated "all around the forums" for years. I remember them being debated and compared as far back as 2003 when I first hit the multi tool forums. I remember my friends debating them (and other tools) in the 1990's when we began comparing our SAKs against Leatherman and then Gerber (and later SOG).
So as hard as it is to believe, there are some people who aren't thrilled with the Vic scissor springs. Some people have even said that Wenger's scissors seem more sturdy (and I'm not the first one to say that). Certainly the micro serrations on the Wenger scissors make them seem to be a bit more aggressive cutters. The object being cut has less likelihood of sliding forward out of the blades.
As it is, I only own one Wenger tool so I end up carrying Vic scissors with me daily. I use them. They usually work without trouble. They're certainly no worse than the scissors in my Squirt. I'm not saying they suck. I'm just not convinced they're the Holy Grail of MT scissors.

I'd like to point out four things, you may know some of them already. If so, I apologise.  :oops:

A - It seems that your argument against the Vic scissors is the spring breaking often?

B - Vic springs break much less frequently than... Say... Squirt scissor springs. Its not exactly common to hear about broken Vic springs, while broken scissor springs are one of the Chief complaints about the squirt. :ahhh

C - Even if they break, the springs can be bought cheap on eBay, various stores, including our very own MTO store, for about $2 a spring, and are easy to replace.  :tu:
And you can always send it to Victorinox under warranty.  :)

D - My own experience.
I've seen multiple SAKs in person (no really?!  :rofl: ) and I own multiple SAKs with springs.

The only one I got new was a Rambler, last year. No broken spring so far.

I am using 91mm scissors in a mod which were made in the early 80's, and the springs appear to be original, and still going strong.

I have another SAK, a 17 or so year old climber, still original spring.

In fact, the only SAK I've seen in person with a broken spring was a 84mm Climber Small that a friend found on the ground, in bad condition. I estimate the SAK was made in the late '60s. Back then, the metals that victorinox used were not as good as today's, so it was no surprise that the spring was broken. But on the other hand, many people are still using vintage springs on their vintage SAKs.  :D
Oh, and on that SAK, the Corkscrew was bent and the blade spring was work out where the Corkscrew rubs.

TL:DR, I believe that the slight slight chance of a broken replaceable spring is far out weighed by the really good cutting ability of the Vic scissors.

By the way, lots of people dislike the Wenger scissors because of the micro serrations. It appears that personal preference is a strong factor, as always.  :tu:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 11:08:20 PM by Pablo O'Brien »
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: August 19, 2017, 11:09:08 PM
Here are my two favorites. I usually either take my hiker or my climber, but am thinking about taking the forester next time I'm out :cheers:
DSCN2621.JPG
* DSCN2621.JPG (Filesize: 246.15 KB)
0611171917a.jpg
* 0611171917a.jpg (Filesize: 258.67 KB)
0729170943a.jpg
* 0729170943a.jpg (Filesize: 282.29 KB)
DSCN2596.JPG
* DSCN2596.JPG (Filesize: 243.98 KB)
Send In the spartans

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #64 on: August 19, 2017, 11:22:35 PM
Scissors are like knives (two of them actually, riveted together  :P) in that there are no overall best scissors, only - maybe - best scissors for a particular task. The Wengers work best on plastics, the vics work best on fingernails, the Paul Chen Multitasker works great on thick materials, and the squirt does best at self destruction :P

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #65 on: August 19, 2017, 11:25:50 PM
Scissors are like knives (two of them actually, riveted together  :P) in that there are no overall best scissors, only - maybe - best scissors for a particular task. The Wengers work best on plastics, the vics work best on fingernails, the Paul Chen Multitasker works great on thick materials, and the squirt does best at self destruction :P
Amen!  :rofl:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #66 on: August 20, 2017, 01:57:42 AM
Are those a couple of Opinels in those pics? I haven't bought an Opinel in a long time. I didn't know they came with colored, synthetic handles. Mine has the plain, wood handle.

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #67 on: August 20, 2017, 11:02:40 PM
An assortment of EDC SAKs, including a Huntsman (top).

A variety of fixed blade camp knives: old Western, Fallkniven S-1, Mora Light My fire,
DH Russel/Grohmann, Buck 113.

Some hatchets, including  a TrueTemper (center) and Estwing (right).

IMG_6766.JPG
* IMG_6766.JPG (Filesize: 29.34 KB)
IMG_8885.JPG
* IMG_8885.JPG (Filesize: 87.27 KB)
IMG_7661.jpg
* IMG_7661.jpg (Filesize: 103.5 KB)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #68 on: August 21, 2017, 12:37:28 PM
 :like: :tu:
Barry

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #69 on: August 22, 2017, 02:53:57 AM
This one, because Monsieur Wenger said so. >>  http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Backpacker  :salute:

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: August 22, 2017, 05:07:49 AM
I usually take a combo unless I'm really trying to cut weight, and going with a group.  Most of my trips are solo trips, so I carry a little extra for safety/comfort.

Usually it's my SAK Bushcrafter on person and an LM PST II in my pack. No overlap, and keeps wood related tools on person (in a slim format) in case of emergency (along with other emergency things, ferro rod, etc.)

If I'm making fires, I take a Mora and a folding saw.  Might drop the PST II if I'm going in a group and having someone else carry a plier based MT, and I'll take a Vic Classic with the Bushcrafter.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: August 22, 2017, 11:23:52 AM

Well, like you've said, to each it's own. Vic's scissors to me is the best one i've ever seen on a sak, or even multi. I have yet to damage one or break a spring, it all obviously depends on what you do with it and if you abuse it or not. I even think Vic's scissors are actually even a bit sturdier than the main blade in some cases.
I really don't understand some people dislike for the spring, it's a very cheap and effective mechanism IMO. And highly serviceable from a maintenance stand point, if you break it just pop the old one out and put a new one in...  :salute:
The same can't de said for the Wenger ones, while it's a good sturdy system and with clever use of the backspring, when that mechanism wears out from metal friction and fatigue  (and eventually it will...) the scissors are trashed, while Vic's just change the spring and move on. And regarding toughness, Vic's scissors are way tougher than Wenger's structurally.

My main and only EDC scissors right now is the ones on my keychain classic, while little they are very tough and capable. But of course i only use them to cut things with in reason of it's use and limits  ;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 11:48:51 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

Offline knifty

Reply #72 on: September 06, 2017, 05:48:39 AM
Depending on the hike/trip, I might prefer the scissors over the saw. Or....there's always the Fieldmaster.  :D

Surprised it took us until page 2 to mention the Fieldmaster! If weight and versatility are a priority, I'd take the Fieldmaster + whatever fixed blade. One can easily get by with just the Fieldmaster, but it's good to have a larger fixed blade knife for more heavy duty use.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Which SAK would you take backpacking?
Reply #73 on: September 06, 2017, 04:21:24 PM
Which SAK for camping? I guess that answer really depends on how easy, convenient, and quick you want things to be.
It's possible to make due with a Farmer or any others with a saw, blades, can openers, and an awl.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: September 06, 2017, 04:36:39 PM
Which SAK for camping? I guess that answer really depends on how easy, convenient, and quick you want things to be.
It's possible to make due with a Farmer or any others with a saw, blades, can openers, and an awl.

That was really cool to watch :salute:

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: September 06, 2017, 06:49:25 PM
I usually take a combo unless I'm really trying to cut weight, and going with a group.  Most of my trips are solo trips, so I carry a little extra for safety/comfort.

Usually it's my SAK Bushcrafter on person and an LM PST II in my pack. No overlap, and keeps wood related tools on person (in a slim format) in case of emergency (along with other emergency things, ferro rod, etc.)

If I'm making fires, I take a Mora and a folding saw.  Might drop the PST II if I'm going in a group and having someone else carry a plier based MT, and I'll take a Vic Classic with the Bushcrafter.

For those that are pack-weight conscious, if traveling in a group, sharing tools makes perfect sense. If traveling alone, your combination should work well for you.

It can't be said enough, it all depends on your preferences and camping goals/activities. Since I don't wear gym shorts backpacking, I have a pocket and putting a sturdy 2- or 3-layer SAK in it won't slow me down, and there's always a Classic in my FAK.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #76 on: September 07, 2017, 06:59:34 PM
...I don't wear gym shorts backpacking...
How about a singlet?

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: September 07, 2017, 07:32:52 PM
How about a singlet?

:twak: At that point, why wear anything? I've backpacked naked (all be it when much younger)...    :ahhh
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #78 on: September 08, 2017, 01:43:00 AM
How about a singlet?

...At that point, why wear anything?
Well at least with the singlet you can hide your SAK in your sack.
That's how I roll!

us Offline cody6268

Reply #79 on: September 08, 2017, 02:01:49 AM
Mine is typically a Fireman or Craftsman paired with a Morakniv.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #80 on: September 08, 2017, 02:31:37 AM
Mine is typically a Fireman or Craftsman paired with a Morakniv.
Lots of love for the Craftsman here! That's my EDC!

ph Offline Semajmarx007

• Deus Ex Machina
Reply #81 on: September 25, 2017, 04:40:19 AM
I'd take my Camper and Pioneer. If I lost one, I still have the other. Then a case sod buster jr and jungle bolo.

vi veri veniversum vivus vici

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: September 25, 2017, 05:32:03 AM
I'd probably take my Workchamp.

us Offline KandiKlover

• Classic SD - SwissChamp
Reply #83 on: September 25, 2017, 08:26:20 AM

SwissChamp. SAKpacking

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #84 on: September 25, 2017, 02:59:10 PM

SwissChamp. SAKpacking
Seems like with enough bushcraft skills, that SAK would be enough.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #85 on: September 25, 2017, 06:02:49 PM
If setting out with a backpack on just a day out pretty much depends on what your environment is.   I went yesterday for 5 miles but the area was nothing more than scrub brush and low growing shrubs.  No need for a saw at all.  I'm a fan of scissors and one can debate the "best" but I like to carry them.  Moleskin to me is best cut with scissors.  I also like them for the idea of "clean blade" "dirty blade".   If I am using my blade for food or other things I can reserve my scissors for 1st aid type stuff.  As far a weight, I am not ultralight so I cannot yet wrap my head around less is more.  I can agree if you are hiking say PCT or any other trail over long periods of time ( months ) then I certainly can see weight and space being at a premium.  For a jaunt out I cannot see why less is more.  If you are backpacking from a camp site I'd also go with more capability than less is more.  Especially so if you are not going to be seeing anyone along said trail. 

I tend to keep my Swisschamp in a SOS pouch on my day hike pack.  I've played around with other SAKs but so far the SC wins out.  I mentioned 111mm SAK earlier as a result of my Hunter.  It has a nice size saw and blade.  I did pair it tho, for the sake of scissors I added a 91mm for the scissors but I'll try a Micra next time.   
Esse Quam Videri

Offline sakhiker

Reply #86 on: September 26, 2017, 07:56:42 AM
If I'm hiking or camping in the low desert with lots of prickly pear or cholla cactus, I always carry something with pliers like a Deluxe Tinker or Craftsman.  The pliers are much better than tweezers for removing deeply-embedded cactus spines!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #87 on: September 26, 2017, 08:16:41 AM
For me its the Huntsman as it's all I need ,but I usually carry a MT as more options  :D or both and a fixed blade and a hatchet  :facepalm:  :rofl:

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: September 26, 2017, 07:21:52 PM
If I'm hiking or camping in the low desert with lots of prickly pear or cholla cactus, I always carry something with pliers like a Deluxe Tinker or Craftsman.  The pliers are much better than tweezers for removing deeply-embedded cactus spines!

Definitely agree that pliers are better than tweezers for cactus spines.   :tu:

Since much of the western US is full of prickly pear, I keep a LM PS4 hanging in the front pocket of my hiking daypack so it's accessible at any time. It's a good backup to have and allows me to pocket any one of my typical EDC SAKs without worrying that I don't have most/all situations covered.
Daypack PS4.jpg
* Daypack PS4.jpg (Filesize: 257.07 KB)

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31