Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I got bored before mothers day and made this.

us Offline Awesom-0

I got bored before mothers day and made this.
on: August 16, 2017, 11:44:23 PM
Was digging through random old junk in the shop and found a putty knife that I would guess from the 50s or 60s. Remembered the old steel they used on them was usually hard enough you could crack them. It was covered in paint and bondo and couldn't see the aluminum. So cleaned it up ground it down with a semi sod buster blade design. Added about 5 applications of linseed oil and gave it to Mom for a pairing knife. Which she won't use,  she put it on a shelf. Thought you might like it for a idea of something that is quick and easy enough to do, if you can find one old enough with okay steel.  Still need to take a file to it and clean it up. The stand is bodark tree I've been drying out for other things. More on that some other time. Need a bigger bandsaw before I want to mess with it much more.  :facepalm:
20170816_162938-1593x896.jpg
* 20170816_162938-1593x896.jpg (Filesize: 217.37 KB)

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: I got bored before mothers day and made this.
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 11:49:34 PM

Mmmm carbon goodness  :drool:

Nice work, thoughtful idea  :salute:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 12:45:48 AM
Pretty neat :o :like: :like:

You mean Osage Orange tree correct :think: Also a Hedge apple tree :D

It is a very unique looking wood for sure and that putty knife blade made a great paring knife :tu: :like:

us Offline Awesom-0

Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 01:02:56 AM
Pretty neat :o :like: :like:

You mean Osage Orange tree correct :think: Also a Hedge apple tree :D

It is a very unique looking wood for sure and that putty knife blade made a great paring knife :tu: :like:
Yeah, most people here call them horse apple trees. I have some to make shelves out of but the band saw hated it, so I am left with trying to get it flat. Pretty wood sanded out and some linseed oil on it. I'll get back to working on it when it's not so hot and humid.

Edit: I still need to build a kiln so I don't have to wait forever and a day. Lots of people here hate them because of the thorns so plan on getting a lot more after I figured out how much I like it. Got some blackjack dry now also to mess with.

Edit 2: I have three of them in the front yard I think the biggest I've seen. About 35 feet tall. One I will probably completely remove to help the other next to it. Those bent limbs make it like a jungle.

Also for others that don't know people used them as fences before barbed wire. And if I remember right there was basically a Johnny Appleseed guy who went everywhere planting them.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:11:01 AM by Awesom-0 »

us Offline Awesom-0

Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 01:21:42 AM
Here is the natural color of the wood for people interested. Nothing on it and ignore the table saw marks haha. Have a lot of mistletoe on some parts been wondering what it does to the wood and grain. Smaller stuff will be yellowish and green with orange like in the picture.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 01:47:41 AM
 :like: :tu:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 12:48:36 PM
Nice work on the knife.  Bodark or Osage orange is fantastic wood for making long bows.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 03:22:41 PM
Strangely enough we have not 1 of them around where I live :o But go 45 or 50 miles west of us and they are plentiful  :ahhh I had never even heard of one until maybe 7 or 8 years ago  :D

One of the guys at work said that he loaded up a woodstove with bodark and the next moring it had warped the doors and melted the pins off the doors and caused them to have fallen off :ahhh

I guess all the sap and resin in them make the color and make them burn hot :o :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%