Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

58mm; What's recommended?

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Re: 58mm; What's recommended?
Reply #30 on: August 18, 2017, 11:03:52 PM
Rambler. Only edges out the Classic because I once used the cap lifter on a Rambler.

+1   :cheers:

Same here. After carrying a Classic for years, once I got a Rambler, the Classics went into 1st Aid Kits and were given away except a few kept for parts. And once I got a Manager, all the Ramblers became Managers with a simple scale change.

I was just thinking the other day, I haven't seen any Manager scales or replacement pens for ages

The only place I've found replacement scales is on evilbay. I was able to get a small handfull of std Red with pens. Once though I got lucky and found two Emerald Green scales with pens. These two purchases about two years ago turned me into a Manager fan.
Copy of EDC Rotation Oct150107.jpg
* Copy of EDC Rotation Oct150107.jpg (Filesize: 56.81 KB)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 11:08:54 PM by strmliner »
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: August 18, 2017, 11:38:47 PM
I often carry a Manager and my wife often carries a Midnight Manager and both are emerald green :D

So much high quality functionality in such a small package  :salute:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #32 on: August 18, 2017, 11:39:51 PM
Rambler. Only edges out the Classic because I once used the cap lifter on a Rambler.

+1   :cheers:

Same here. After carrying a Classic for years, once I got a Rambler, the Classics went into 1st Aid Kits and were given away except a few kept for parts. And once I got a Manager, all the Ramblers became Managers with a simple scale change.

I was just thinking the other day, I haven't seen any Manager scales or replacement pens for ages

The only place I've found replacement scales is on evilbay. I was able to get a small handfull of std Red with pens. Once though I got lucky and found two Emerald Green scales with pens. These two purchases about two years ago turned me into a Manager fan.

It seems Grant has got the retractable pens at the MTO store, but only the standard 58mm scales at the moment

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: August 18, 2017, 11:46:13 PM
I often carry a Manager and my wife often carries a Midnight Manager and both are emerald green :D

So much high quality functionality in such a small package  :salute:

Agreed.   :salute:

I just did a project on my brother's Midnight Manager to make it bladeless to get through TSA. While tough to work on those little buggers, I found the light to be next to worthless. I changed his from a red light to white light, but for other than finding the keyhole, it's not worth much.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: August 19, 2017, 12:03:00 AM
I got my wife the red light Manager because I thought as a photographer it might be useful for her to use in low light settings where she doesn't want to lose her night adjusted vision (although I have heard conflicting things about that) but, yeah, it's pretty darn useless for anything more than a few inches away.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #35 on: August 19, 2017, 12:33:37 AM
I got my wife the red light Manager because I thought as a photographer it might be useful for her to use in low light settings where she doesn't want to lose her night adjusted vision (although I have heard conflicting things about that) but, yeah, it's pretty darn useless for anything more than a few inches away.
The way I heard it was that the red light mode on flashlights "preserves" your light vision by being so dim.  :facepalm:
Aka, normal moonlight/firefly mode could serve the same purpose.  :facepalm:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: August 19, 2017, 12:36:34 AM
The way I heard it was that the red light mode on flashlights "preserves" your light vision by being so dim.  :facepalm:
Aka, normal moonlight/firefly mode could serve the same purpose.  :facepalm:

:rofl:

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #37 on: August 19, 2017, 01:56:43 PM
Is the Manager simply the Rambler with a pen?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: August 19, 2017, 01:57:36 PM
Is the Manager simply the Rambler with a pen?

Yes.

All hail the hook!

Reply #39 on: August 19, 2017, 02:09:03 PM
Thanks.  I'll have to procure one.

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #40 on: August 19, 2017, 02:20:34 PM
Classics come in a myriad of scale variations. I have only a few.
DSC05822-pythagoras-se.jpg
* DSC05822-pythagoras-se.jpg (Filesize: 159.69 KB)

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #41 on: August 19, 2017, 07:29:18 PM
 :oops:
Some people here are going to dislike me, but nevertheless in my opinion the Vic Classic is useless, except for nail care.
I agree, they are magnificent little pieces of industrial engineering with so much quality packed in such a small item. And I also like many of the artistic designs. However I never use them, and only my wife has a few lying around only for nail care. Okay, I also use the T&T very occasionally.
But for real work I think it us unfit. (Hopefully I will not be abandoned from this Forum...)

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #42 on: August 19, 2017, 07:55:20 PM
I have a Mate (older Vagabond with flat screwdriver instead of Phillips and pointy nailfie tip) and enjoy it a lot, but more as a desk/personal care tool than EDC.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: August 19, 2017, 08:35:51 PM
Some people here are going to dislike me, but nevertheless in my opinion the Vic Classic is useless, except for nail care.
I agree, they are magnificent little pieces of industrial engineering with so much quality packed in such a small item. And I also like many of the artistic designs. However I never use them, and only my wife has a few lying around only for nail care. Okay, I also use the T&T very occasionally.
But for real work I think it us unfit. (Hopefully I will not be abandoned from this Forum...)

Don't think we would banish you from the forum or abandon you for your personal take on Vx Classics.   :)
The one thing these threads show is the diversity of opinions and personal values as to what & why to carry a particular knife/tool...it's all good!    :tu:

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #44 on: August 19, 2017, 09:03:45 PM
Classics come in a near-infinte variety of colors and patterns. Addictive!

Check out Swiss Knife Shop under their exclusives. Also the National Parks series.

https://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/swiss-army/victorinox/swiss-army-knives

Ebay's also a good place. Simply search under Victorinox Classic knife. All-Things-Swiss has a lot of exclusives.

http://stores.ebay.com/All-Things-Swiss?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

IMG_6877.JPG
* IMG_6877.JPG (Filesize: 81.56 KB)
IMG_7054.JPG
* IMG_7054.JPG (Filesize: 71.98 KB)
IMG_7216.jpg
* IMG_7216.jpg (Filesize: 74.61 KB)
IMG_8114.JPG
* IMG_8114.JPG (Filesize: 71 KB)

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #45 on: August 19, 2017, 09:04:59 PM
More Classics.

IMG_2876.jpg
* IMG_2876.jpg (Filesize: 107.11 KB)
IMG_5024.JPG
* IMG_5024.JPG (Filesize: 127.83 KB)
IMG_3206.JPG
* IMG_3206.JPG (Filesize: 89.72 KB)
IMG_8390.JPG
* IMG_8390.JPG (Filesize: 59.14 KB)

Reply #46 on: August 19, 2017, 09:27:36 PM
It just means your needs are different.  Given the choice of a Classic vs. Nothing, I'll take the Classic 100% of the time.

The blade works well for minor cutting, the scissors do well, I absolutely couldn't do without the toothpick and the combo file/flathead driver does well for some tasks.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #47 on: August 19, 2017, 10:32:36 PM
Little tasks like removing the tags from clothing, and opening packages are another great edc benefit of the classic.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #48 on: August 20, 2017, 12:45:33 AM
I also found an interesting use for the 58mm via my kids: the 58mm is a good platform for them to learn the ins and outs about using a SAK and EDC. The snap and back spring isn't intimidating for them and the size won't worry them. Either way, the scissors still cut, the blade is sharp and when they feel they need something bigger, they'll move up to 91mm. If their needs remain relatively constant then they'll move from the signature to the manager.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #49 on: August 20, 2017, 01:29:04 AM
Made a few additions.  Here's what I'm working with:

1st Row:
MiniChamp
MiniChamp
Manager
Midnight Manager
Signature
Signaure
Manager
Manager
Swiss Lite
Rambler

2nd Row:
Classics

3rd Row:
Red Rover
Bijou
Alox Classic
White Rover, Teal Rover send more 58's on over

:cheers:
WP_20170819_16_18_32_Pro.jpg
* WP_20170819_16_18_32_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 323.39 KB)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 01:31:57 AM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #50 on: August 20, 2017, 03:16:07 AM

1st Row:
MiniChamp
MiniChamp
Manager
Midnight Manager
Signature
Signaure
Manager
Manager
Swiss Lite
Rambler

2nd Row:
Classics

3rd Row:
Red Rover
Bijou
Alox Classic

I have a spare Classic with the New Zealand flag on the handle. A bit worn, but decent. If you're interested, PM your address and I'll drop in the mail next week.

Karl

IMG_8882.JPG
* IMG_8882.JPG (Filesize: 70.64 KB)

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #51 on: August 20, 2017, 04:43:23 AM

1st Row:
MiniChamp
MiniChamp
Manager
Midnight Manager
Signature
Signaure
Manager
Manager
Swiss Lite
Rambler

2nd Row:
Classics

3rd Row:
Red Rover
Bijou
Alox Classic

I have a spare Classic with the New Zealand flag on the handle. A bit worn, but decent. If you're interested, PM your address and I'll drop in the mail next week.

Karl

That's very generous  :cheers:

Reply #52 on: August 20, 2017, 01:07:57 PM
Well, the Manager is off my list.  The toothpick is one of my most used tools on a SAK.

I'll stick to the Classic or Rambler in the 58mm style.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #53 on: August 20, 2017, 02:38:02 PM
Well, the Manager is off my list.  The toothpick is one of my most used tools on a SAK.
I'll stick to the Classic or Rambler in the 58mm style
Why ??? ....... The Tp and Tw are interchangeble on the 58mm line - So carry the tp in your Manager!!
And that combi tool is really good addition to the Classic

But for real work I think it us unfit......
Don't dislike you - Just think you are so wrong  :twak:
For the size and convenience the Classic is an incredibly capable tool.
The scissors can be used for all manner of tasks, the knife is sharper than the regular SAKs, and you have a mini SD - Awesome !!
Sure you cannot build a house with it - But you can't do that with a Leatherman Supertool either
- It's a keychain tool
I believe everyone - and I mean everyone in the world - should have one on their keychain  :tu:

Anyway back to the Op
El CS - can't believe you are asking this question - Mr SAK collector supremo !!!
It's all been said in this thread so far - The Rambler and Manager are amazing as an EDC keychain tool.
Personally I don't know why Vic don't put the combi tool in all their 58mm SAKs - ie Bye bye Classic

It all depends what you want - Are you speaking as a collector or a user?
If as a collector then the 58mms are amazing - As CS says - There is almost an infinite number of designs and options - Unfortuately mainly on the Classics,
I really like the recent 201x 'crowd designed' series - They are all fab.
If as a user Classic, Rambler, Manager, MiniC - All good !!

But what do you want / need ???

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 02:41:31 PM by Huntsman »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #54 on: August 20, 2017, 04:32:21 PM

There is a SAK model for everyone.  The Classic by your response is useful  :D.  Its a great little tool for exactly what you mention.  Even for the design the SAK can remind you of a trip, person, or simple the beauty of the design.  Does the tool perform to the level of say 91mm or 111mm? Certainly not.  Its small light and weight so hanging off a keychain could come in handy in the event you did need a sharp blade or T&T.

Certainly not trying to sell you on it as I say, there is a SAK for everyone and if the Classic isn't for you then  :salute:

BTW have you tried a Manager?  :pok:  :D     
Esse Quam Videri

Reply #55 on: August 20, 2017, 04:48:46 PM
I didn't realize you could swap position on the TP and TW.  I'll have to give that a try.  Thanks.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #56 on: August 20, 2017, 05:57:36 PM
Why ??? ....... The Tp and Tw are interchangeble on the 58mm line - So carry the tp in your Manager!!

But for real work I think it us unfit......
Don't dislike you - Just think you are so wrong  :twak:
For the size and convenience the Classic is an incredibly capable tool.
The scissors can be used for all manner of tasks, the knife is sharper than the regular SAKs, and you have a mini SD - Awesome !!
Sure you cannot build a house with it - But you can't do that with a Leatherman Supertool either
- It's a keychain tool
I believe everyone - and I mean everyone in the world - should have one on their keychain  :tu:

Anyway back to the Op
El CS - can't believe you are asking this question - Mr SAK collector supremo !!!
It's all been said in this thread so far - The Rambler and Manager are amazing as an EDC keychain tool.
Personally I don't know why Vic don't put the combi tool in all their 58mm SAKs - ie Bye bye Classic

It all depends what you want - Are you speaking as a collector or a user?
If as a collector then the 58mms are amazing - As CS says - There is almost an infinite number of designs and options - Unfortuately mainly on the Classics,
I really like the recent 201x 'crowd designed' series - They are all fab.
If as a user Classic, Rambler, Manager, MiniC - All good !!

But what do you want / need ???

I just like to hear other's thoughts and don't assume that I know everything.   I was on the hunt for a PTC yesterday but ended up with 2 Classics, A signature, a Midnight Manager, Vintage Tinker small w/ file, and a good ole Tourist for EDC.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: August 20, 2017, 06:13:17 PM
I just like to hear other's thoughts and don't assume that I know everything.   I was on the hunt for a PTC yesterday but ended up with 2 Classics, A signature, a Midnight Manager, Vintage Tinker small w/ file, and a good ole Tourist for EDC.
:facepalm:
Do you end up with 6 unrelated new SAKs every time you look for a particular SAK?  :facepalm: :rofl:

All hail the hook!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #58 on: August 20, 2017, 06:18:11 PM
I used to be big on Ramblers but more recently, I prefer the Classic SD.

As for colors, I just prefer a color that I'll be comfortable using :) :tu:
SAW

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: August 20, 2017, 08:12:27 PM

Yep to both.   :cheers:

To Nascar, agree that of the scale tools, the Tp is my most used tool. And Huntsman is right, just exchange 'em in the Manager...I did and that's why the Manager works for me.   :tu:

And in regards to the overall conversation, be it a Classic, Rambler, Rover, Manager, MiniChamp, whatever you use, it's just a small, unobtrusive "pocket knife" that can be quite useful.  For business people who can't wear jeans or cargo pants for work in an urban/suburban environment, it's worth the consideration for pocket carry. Or on a keychain as many here do.    :D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 08:55:59 PM by strmliner »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%