Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

58mm; What's recommended?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: 58mm; What's recommended?
Reply #60 on: August 20, 2017, 08:26:26 PM
:oops:
Some people here are going to dislike me, but nevertheless in my opinion the Vic Classic is useless, except for nail care.
I agree, they are magnificent little pieces of industrial engineering with so much quality packed in such a small item. And I also like many of the artistic designs. However I never use them, and only my wife has a few lying around only for nail care. Okay, I also use the T&T very occasionally.
But for real work I think it us unfit. (Hopefully I will not be abandoned from this Forum...)

Don't write them off so quick  ;)

A few years ago I visited a friend for the weekend, and when I got there he asked me for help. He was trying to replace the kitchen light and abandoned part way through as he couldn't figure the wiring out. I made sure the fuse board was off and picked up his crappy screwdrivers. None would fit the terminals. My pocket SAK was also useless, as was the LM Wave (I think that was the tool I had that day). The nail file on the Classic (albeit a Manager in this case) was the only driver that fit. Within 20 mins I had his light fitted and his kitchen restored to normality with just a 58mm knife.

It's amazing how capable they are when you give them chance.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Frailer

Reply #61 on: August 20, 2017, 08:33:06 PM
Some people here are going to dislike me, but nevertheless in my opinion the Vic Classic is useless, except for nail care.
I agree, they are magnificent little pieces of industrial engineering with so much quality packed in such a small item. And I also like many of the artistic designs. However I never use them, and only my wife has a few lying around only for nail care. Okay, I also use the T&T very occasionally.
But for real work I think it us unfit. (Hopefully I will not be abandoned from this Forum...)

I'll admit to feeling this way for years, but I'm finally coming around.

It's difficult to imagine a situation where I wouldn't prefer a larger SAK, but a Classic on a key ring has proven extraordinarily handy more than once.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: August 20, 2017, 08:34:40 PM

A few years ago I visited a friend for the weekend, and when I got there he asked me for help. He was trying to replace the kitchen light and abandoned part way through as he couldn't figure the wiring out. I made sure the fuse board was off and picked up his crappy screwdrivers. None would fit the terminals. My pocket SAK was also useless, as was the LM Wave (I think that was the tool I had that day). The nail file on the Classic (albeit a Manager in this case) was the only driver that fit. Within 20 mins I had his light fitted and his kitchen restored to normality with just a 58mm knife.

Great story :tu: :salute:

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: August 20, 2017, 08:52:16 PM
I just like to hear other's thoughts and don't assume that I know everything.   I was on the hunt for a PTC yesterday but ended up with 2 Classics, A signature, a Midnight Manager, Vintage Tinker small w/ file, and a good ole Tourist for EDC.
:facepalm:
Do you end up with 6 unrelated new SAKs every time you look for a particular SAK?  :facepalm: :rofl:

Great question Pablo!   :cheers:

As for EDC users (not sure this would work well for real collectors), I found when online searching for a particular color Rambler, new ones were running $15-$20 at the time (now over $25). When you run into the post-TSA sale lots of multiple 58's for $20-$25, all the sudden your mind goes to work. Buy the lot that appeals to you, then buy the scales you like, and all the sudden you have the knife you were looking for along with multiples from the lot that might include an 84mm or two, or an odd Wenger 65mm or two, or other model 58s you weren't looking for but interest you. For the price of two new 58's, all the sudden you have multiple pocket carries with new scales, Tw, and Tp, along with other knives.

I have no shortage of friends and family who like getting/taking my cleaned-up extras. In fact last weekend at a party one of my brothers took my Red Manager, when I took it out use the small phillips then used it to open a bottle.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 10:41:07 PM by strmliner »
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #64 on: August 20, 2017, 09:57:24 PM
I'm going through several lots of knives :)

I usually went for 84 and 91 MM but have caught the 58mm bug lately.

I really dig the Midnight Manager for going out at night. I play a lot of open mics and the sign-up list is always there in a dark room and it often does not have a pen. Midnight manager to the rescue!

I often give my key chain knife away or my back up in the jeep... just did again last night with el Jeep climber.  Replaced with a Traveler this morning. :D
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #65 on: August 20, 2017, 10:20:50 PM
I used to be big on Ramblers but more recently, I prefer the Classic SD.

As for colors, I just prefer a color that I'll be comfortable using :) :tu:
May I ask why?  Is it because of the thickness?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #66 on: August 20, 2017, 10:45:36 PM
Great story :tu: :salute:

Here is another ...  :D   :tu:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,52173.msg888949.html#msg888949
A real 'Saved the day story' ...... and it was a Classic

I just like to hear other's thoughts and don't assume that I know everything. 
.... I was on the hunt for a PTC yesterday but ended up with 2 Classics, A signature, a Midnight Manager, Vintage Tinker small w/ file, and a good ole Tourist for EDC.

Thought so ..... And a good assumption  :cheers:

One of the great things about this forum.......
And we are never shy of sharing an opinion - eh ?

What about a Wagner pen for a really different take on a Classic
I got one last year and really like it  :ahhh

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #67 on: August 21, 2017, 05:51:02 PM
"Classics are useless" I commented earlier on.
Your comments made me think again on this subject, and I have to admit (oh man, that's not easy!) I can see certain uses for the SD's.
It would indeed be a perfect gift for my little cousin when he has his 10th birthday!
I also are going to include a Classic one in my pocket first aid kit. There are lots of uses for a Classic in a first aid kit.
Classics are not expensive so when one gets lost, it's not a big problem. It's true: If this is your only knife, it is the best!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #68 on: August 21, 2017, 06:12:53 PM
"Classics are useless" I commented earlier on.
Your comments made me think again on this subject, and I have to admit (oh man, that's not easy!) I can see certain uses for the SD's.
It would indeed be a perfect gift for my little cousin when he has his 10th birthday!
I also are going to include a Classic one in my pocket first aid kit. There are lots of uses for a Classic in a first aid kit.
Classics are not expensive so when one gets lost, it's not a big problem. It's true: If this is your only knife, it is the best!

Totally forgot about this application.  The Classic makes a great 1st kit addition.  Glad you thought again on the 58s.  While the bigger SAKs get the call to action for most of us the 58s as we see have their place. 
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #69 on: August 23, 2017, 03:57:31 PM
as much as I love and recommend the Minichamp, this one is a treasure from the past.
Pocket Tool Chest!

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #70 on: August 23, 2017, 04:43:25 PM

I keep a Classic SD in my First Aid Kit (FAK). Great little addition to a FAK, with many uses.

While I rarely carry a Classic as a solo knife, I think it makes a great pairing addition with a larger knife. I'm in the middle of a Pioneer X 30-day challenge and I feel a bit naked without a Classic SD to keep my Alox balanced out with T&T. I seem to chip and break my finger nails frequently--maybe I should wear gloves more?--and the Classic SD makes a great tool to trim and smooth out the rough bits.

Don't give up on the Classic!

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #71 on: August 29, 2017, 08:44:26 AM
I also found an interesting use for the 58mm via my kids: the 58mm is a good platform for them to learn the ins and outs about using a SAK and EDC. The snap and back spring isn't intimidating for them and the size won't worry them. Either way, the scissors still cut, the blade is sharp and when they feel they need something bigger, they'll move up to 91mm. If their needs remain relatively constant then they'll move from the signature to the manager.

.....aaaannnddd my kid just lost the Signature I let him use.  :facepalm:

If there's one more thing about 58mm and training a kid how to use it, it's that it's rather....expendable.  Yeah, it costs at least 2x the price locally but loosing a Signature doesn't feel as bad as say loosing the nylon scale Climber we have in the kitchen drawer.

...sorry, I just had to get that off my chest  :drink:

us Offline KandiKlover

• Classic SD - SwissChamp
Reply #72 on: August 29, 2017, 09:19:56 AM
Get a bunch of Managers and put them in XL Bison Capsules and hide them all over town geocache style in areas you frequent. They're small and easy to cache away that way you're always within a short walk of having access to a SAK at all times.

Opening blisterpack from the stores, unscrewing things, having to write or sign something, never without hehe.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #73 on: August 29, 2017, 03:01:14 PM
I also found an interesting use for the 58mm via my kids: the 58mm is a good platform for them to learn the ins and outs about using a SAK and EDC. The snap and back spring isn't intimidating for them and the size won't worry them. Either way, the scissors still cut, the blade is sharp and when they feel they need something bigger, they'll move up to 91mm. If their needs remain relatively constant then they'll move from the signature to the manager.

If there's one more thing about 58mm and training a kid how to use it, it's that it's rather....expendable.  Yeah, it costs at least 2x the price locally but loosing a Signature doesn't feel as bad as say loosing the nylon scale Climber we have in the kitchen drawer.

Tie it to his trousers with a long string.  >:D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #74 on: August 29, 2017, 05:28:09 PM

Tie it to his trousers with a long string.  >:D

This. Use a lanyard tied to a belt loop or to the belt itself.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Reply #75 on: August 29, 2017, 05:43:10 PM
Is a Midnight Manager thicker than a Manager, due to the battery in the MM?
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #76 on: August 29, 2017, 06:13:54 PM
Yes. It's a fat little thing.  :rofl:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Reply #77 on: August 29, 2017, 06:26:19 PM
Yea, not worth the extra thickness to me, for a small light.

Picked up a Manager and that's thick enough.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: August 29, 2017, 06:59:30 PM
Yea, not worth the extra thickness to me, for a small light.

Picked up a Manager and that's thick enough.
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Great choice!   :like:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #79 on: August 29, 2017, 10:22:14 PM

I'll second this. I've used my rambler to redo receptacles in my house while my kiddos took naps. They are a useful tool that requires just a bit of creativity to make effective.

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: August 29, 2017, 10:44:55 PM
I'd check out the Smokey the Bear classics :tu:
DSCN2859.JPG
* DSCN2859.JPG (Filesize: 296.58 KB)
DSCN2860.JPG
* DSCN2860.JPG (Filesize: 299.08 KB)
Send In the spartans

Donations

Operational Funds