Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic experts please read this

us Offline hard.times.lures

on: August 17, 2017, 07:12:42 PM
I do not like the half stop of cap lifter blade.  I am trying to find 84mm Recruit, Bantam, Sportsman & Small Tinker without the 1/2 stop.

My question is can you tell from a photo or the tang markings if it has the 1/2 stop?

Thanks, Bryan

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Vic experts please read this
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 07:20:29 PM
Not really, unless you have a really good picture...
What you can do is look at the other tools to figure out when the knife was made... If it's pre-1985 then the bottle opener will have no half stop.

Not sure about 84mm, but I think that the half stop was added there much more recently.  :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 07:21:04 PM
Wenger and victorinox delemont (evolution, evogrip and evowood) SAKs don't have the half stop on the can opener.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 07:22:51 PM by GoatDragon »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 07:26:26 PM
I do not like the half stop of cap lifter blade.  I am trying to find 84mm Recruit, Bantam, Sportsman & Small Tinker without the 1/2 stop.

My question is can you tell from a photo or the tang markings if it has the 1/2 stop?

Thanks, Bryan

Don't know of a way to tell if the SAK has a half stop or not. Is it such a problem if it has? In my opinion, it's not much of a bother and it's an added feature that may come in handy if your using it as a screwdriver, it gives you more torque in a secure way.
 :think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 07:41:57 PM
Everyone has their own opinion and in this topic none are right or wrong so in  light of that, my opinion is irrelevant to the discussion. However, For what it's worth, I've used the 1/2 stop screw drive quite a few times. More than one would have expected. It allows a good bit of torque for prying or twisting an old screw. I don't think I'd want a SAK not to have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 07:47:28 PM
Ecoline 84mm SAKs are more likely NOT have a half stap over regular 84mm's AFAIK.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 07:49:35 PM
Ecoline 84mm SAKs are more likely NOT have a half stap over regular 84mm's AFAIK.

Wait really? I thought the only difference was the scales. You're saying the tools are different too?

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 08:05:13 PM
Yeah, seems that way.  I haven't found a clear answer about when the half stop happens in the 84mm. 

I'd say most of my 84mm do not have the stop.

If it's got the small V  in  (Victorionox Switzerland Stainless Rostfrei) on the front tang stamp.  or no hole in the reamer/punch, then definitely no half stop.   :cheers:

If it has the "Victorinox Switzerland Stainless" with small V,  and definitely does have the half stop.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 08:10:36 PM

Wait really? I thought the only difference was the scales. You're saying the tools are different too?
The tool evolution on the Ecoline knives didn't always follow the ones found in the regular line.

Just did some reasearch, and like mentioned before, 84mm knives got the half stop around 2010, 2011.
My ecolines are 84mm from before 2010 :facepalm:

So basicaly my comment is nearly useless now.

What I said about the tool evolution is right though...

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 08:12:15 PM
Generally speaking, production 84's that have the 4-line VSSR (Victorinox Switzerland Stainless Rostfrei) tang stamp on the front of the mainblade and the +Crossbow OS on the back of the mainblade won't have the caplifter 90 degree stop. These would be 84mm knives produced prior to 2004.

The caplifter 90 degree stop was introduced across the 84mm line around the 2011 timeframe.

So if you get a newer 84mm (2004-today) that has the 3-line Victorinox Swiss Made Stainless (or Victorinox Switzerland Stainless) on the front of the mainblade and Officier Suisse on the back of the mainblade, it's a bit harder to easily tell if the knife has the caplifter 90 degree stop (most do have; some do not).

I'm not one of the MTo SAK experts or serious collectors, just an interested person. I haven't been able to figure out the tang stamp/date coding any better yet.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:13:46 PM by strmliner »
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 08:12:55 PM
Easy way to tell them apart is by the botlle opener shape, it's slightly different.

Below my 2006 small tinker (lower Sak) without mid stop and my 2017 small tinker (upper sak) with mid stop
WP_20170510_12_36_55_Pro.jpg
* WP_20170510_12_36_55_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 177.67 KB)
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 08:13:06 PM

The tool evolution on the Ecoline knives didn't always follow the ones found in the regular line.

Just did some reasearch, and like mentioned before, 84mm knives got the half stop around 2010, 2011.

Wow, that late?  Thanks for the info  :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 08:42:10 PM

Wow, that late?  Thanks for the info  :cheers:
That late indeed!
God and Vic knows why they added it that late.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 08:44:20 PM
Easy way to tell them apart is by the botlle opener shape, it's slightly different.

Below my 2006 small tinker (lower Sak) without mid stop and my 2017 small tinker (upper sak) with mid stop

Good catch MacG...unless you're looking specifically for that small difference, you'd probably never really notice it. Checking my 84mm modding stash with the 3-line tang stamp I see the difference. Also, the Economy 84's with nylon scales, imprinted logo, and the 3-line tang stamp don't have the 90 degree stop.   :tu:
84mm Caplifters.jpg
* 84mm Caplifters.jpg (Filesize: 218.42 KB)
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 09:30:55 PM

Good catch MacG...unless you're looking specifically for that small difference, you'd probably never really notice it. Checking my 84mm modding stash with the 3-line tang stamp I see the difference. Also, the Economy 84's with nylon scales, imprinted logo, and the 3-line tang stamp don't have the 90 degree stop.   :tu:

I actually noticed the differences right away as I was carrying my 2006 small tinker the day I bought the 2017 one, the shot was from that day and I even posted it here somewhere.
There are 3 or 4 visual bottle opener details between them that's relatively easy to spot if one has good pics from a reference item. And of course the base of the opener tang is also square like instead of round.
Both blade tang stamps on the pic I posted are the same, 3 line stamp, no crossbow, current thinner tang. I think the 2006 one has the large V and the 2017 one the small v.

Another difference between them is the middle liner, the 2006 has the old style 84mm longer 2 layer middle liner, where as the 2017 one has the shorter current production 84mm middle liner. Don't know if that has any influence when dating the inclusion of the half stop on the bottle opener though... :think:

The can opener has also many minor changes over the years, and slightly different between these two models too.
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 10:18:31 PM
I have nothing to add.  I just wanted to say these thread are awesome and I learn a ton. 

Thanks all and to the OP for the question. :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 12:06:56 AM

I actually noticed the differences right away as I was carrying my 2006 small tinker the day I bought the 2017 one, the shot was from that day and I even posted it here somewhere.
There are 3 or 4 visual bottle opener details between them that's relatively easy to spot if one has good pics from a reference item. And of course the base of the opener tang is also square like instead of round.
Both blade tang stamps on the pic I posted are the same, 3 line stamp, no crossbow, current thinner tang. I think the 2006 one has the large V and the 2017 one the small v.

Another difference between them is the middle liner, the 2006 has the old style 84mm longer 2 layer middle liner, where as the 2017 one has the shorter current production 84mm middle liner. Don't know if that has any influence when dating the inclusion of the half stop on the bottle opener though... :think:

The can opener has also many minor changes over the years, and slightly different between these two models too.

Ok, so here are the differences between the two models (2006- up vs 2017- down), middle liner and the blade tang stamps ("V" and "v") i mentioned above:
1.jpg
* 1.jpg (Filesize: 334.9 KB)
2.jpg
* 2.jpg (Filesize: 246.41 KB)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 12:10:40 AM by MacGyver »

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #17 on: August 18, 2017, 12:08:21 AM
I have nothing to add.  I just wanted to say these thread are awesome and I learn a ton. 

Thanks all and to the OP for the question. :salute:

+1.

Educational threads are great!
I'm the milk man!

us Offline cody6268

Reply #18 on: August 18, 2017, 12:53:54 AM
Each to his own in my mind, but Vic added it for a reason. Many of my pocketknives have half stops, and I like that feature as it keeps the blade from closing on my fingers without need for a lock. Given most of my Vics don't have the in-line Phillips, I find myself using the can opener a ton to access hard-to-get at screws in odd angles. I wish Vic would add it to the can opener.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 09:58:47 AM
Each to his own in my mind, but Vic added it for a reason. Many of my pocketknives have half stops, and I like that feature as it keeps the blade from closing on my fingers without need for a lock. Given most of my Vics don't have the in-line Phillips, I find myself using the can opener a ton to access hard-to-get at screws in odd angles. I wish Vic would add it to the can opener.

Humm... That would actually be a great idea...  :cheers:

That.... and the return of the 84mm scissors of course...  :whistle: >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%