Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fixed blades & EDC

kaput · 22 · 1063

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Fixed blades & EDC
on: August 18, 2017, 07:55:22 AM
Am I missing anything by not owning a fixed blade for edc tasks and daily carry?
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Fixed blades & EDC
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 10:13:35 AM
Depends on what you use your EDC blade for. Maybe EDC isn't even that correct to say since your needs can change from day to day and so can your carry. I've found them useful at times and not so much at other times
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 12:39:11 PM
Can be useful. Make sure it is legal in your area before you try it though!

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 01:44:14 PM
If you use your knives hard enough to worry about lock strength then yes. If not, practically speaking you aren't missing much.
I carry fixed blades often because I like them, not because I need them.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 04:30:24 PM
I use slipjoints or fixed blades. I have no interest in locking folders.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 04:34:16 PM
Fixed,locking, slipjoints I use them all,but obviously depends on the job to what type of knife I use  :tu: while camping etc I keep it in my backpack or a mora around my neck.
2017-08-12 14.19.22.jpg
* 2017-08-12 14.19.22.jpg (Filesize: 325.84 KB)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 05:11:35 PM by Zed »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 04:48:54 PM
I carry a fixed blade when working and when I'm catching up with chores around the house.  Its the ultimate "OHO" knife.  I find the style of fixed blade as important as size.  A thin flat grind between 3-5 inches is best for my needs.  For work I'll go a little thicker blade since I know I'll push the knife harder.  I like that I can easily wash the blade and then use it in the kitchen without any question to it being clean.  I'd suggest something in SS mostly due to not having to overly care for it.  I like Micarta for its toughness though wood handles are very nice looking.

As far as carrying one in everyday scenarios, I guess that depends on where you are.  I live in a city that allows for the carry of fixed blade tho they much be in openly carried.  I have got off from work with my blade on my belt openly carried and walked into many stores without as much as second look.  I have also gotten some stares which I chalked up to me being dirty and sweaty having just come from work.  If carrying one concealed was legal I think I carry one everyday without hesitation.  I like flying under the radar.   

I'm not a folder guy really and prefer a SAK.  A locking folder to me is like ABS on a car YMMV but I'd rather not carry a larger that SAK knife unless it was a locking one.  I'd prefer a fixed blade over a locking folder every time. 
Esse Quam Videri

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 04:54:21 PM
I have to admit, the last time I had a fixed blade on my side I ended up feeling like a bit of a smurf......  :facepalm:

I was genuinely wearing it to test the sheath's function and practicality, and we were camping.......so no problem.

On the third day we went to a small settlement to refuel before heading home, the place is in the middle of nowhere and known for their apple pie, which we had to try.

By the time I realised I was getting some stares it was too late, just had to roll with it  :rofl:

hr Offline styx

Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 07:44:16 PM
Many moons ago there was an interesting review of a Swamp Rat Howling rat where the guy pointed out the perhaps obvious thing - the fixed blade EDC is superior in those tasks where a folder would be abused beyond any recognition. So that might be a point to consider if you're using your knives hard.

Now if I could only remember who around here is seemingly always EDCing an Izula 2, we could get that elusive rascal to chime in

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 08:18:10 PM
EDCing an Izula 2

Does that count?  :think: :D

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 08:27:36 PM
I was gifted this last week, maker calls it the Clinch Pick:

Meant to be used reverse grip edge in....up close & personal  >:D

The one he carries is made from a modified Victorinox pairing knife.......this one use to be something made by Tramontina  >:D

He's pretty good with kydex as well, horizontal belt carry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 08:52:29 PM
EDCing an Izula 2

Does that count?  :think: :D

Probably more so than my SOG snarl  :whistle:
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 10:24:08 PM
well, not strictly EDC but 60-70% of the year I carry a small (tiny) fixes blade on me, generally on my neck or 2 o'clock on the belt, almost always a Spyderco ARK or CRKT Minimalist

They are very easy to access, weigh nothing (unlike other "neck knives") and the steel is very forgiving, something I value because I tend to pry and scrape with them. They do cutting in non-knife friendly areas (public places, etc.) and also tasks I don't wanna put my folders or SAKs into, like cutting in dirt, soil, water or at weird angles, involving prying, etc

Before that (first EDC fixed blade) I had a Mini Pitbull similar to the one in the pic below. It was too thick to be slicey but a nice prybar, stabber or general abuse-destined blade

when camping other bigger blades take their place, such as the Spyderco Jumpmaster, Rock Salt, or bigger fixed blades. An exception is during winter time (~3 months) in which I carry a fixed blade in the back, clipped to the belt, in occasions where I don't carry an XL folder. These years the blades have been the Spyderco Aqua Salt, and G.Sakai model 5 IIRC

they are always concealed and don't get used or do any cutting chores in the ordinary weekly activities

Aqua Salt if I carry a plain edged big folder, or Sakai if I carry a big serrated folder

Cut alert, beware if clicked.
Show content

zoid edit: added warning and spoiler tag.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 11:44:54 PM by zoidberg »
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 11:19:45 PM
Not legal here, so easy answer: no fixed blade or folder.
Just a SAK and/or multi. :salute:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 02:53:44 AM
Thanks guys for the info and varying ideas on this. Maybe edc wasn't completely what I was intending. But rather adding one to the collection for using around the house, various projects and of course camping and hiking.

I'm considering a smaller one, not necessarily a neck knife. But a 3" max blade, possibly even under. Really liking this one from Benchmade

Just not sure it's completely practical for me with all that belly. I am not a hunter, which is what this was geared towards. But everything else I like about it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 02:55:03 AM by kaput »
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 07:08:34 AM
I also have a CRKT minimalist and think highly of it.  Maybe start out with a CNC ( cheap and cheerful )?  I originally bought a CNC to see if a small fixed blade was to my liking.  I still have it and love it.  That Benchmade is nice.
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 08:14:58 AM
Thanks guys for the info and varying ideas on this. Maybe edc wasn't completely what I was intending. But rather adding one to the collection for using around the house, various projects and of course camping and hiking.

I'm considering a smaller one, not necessarily a neck knife. But a 3" max blade, possibly even under. Really liking this one from Benchmade

(Image removed from quote.)

Just not sure it's completely practical for me with all that belly. I am not a hunter, which is what this was geared towards. But everything else I like about it.
I've got a Victorinox Soldier (GAK) and I'm not a (German) Soldier...

Get what you like, no matter the actual design. Personaly I'd say you have good taste :D

hr Offline styx

Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 10:04:08 AM
I was gifted this last week, maker calls it the Clinch Pick:

Meant to be used reverse grip edge in....up close & personal  >:D

The one he carries is made from a modified Victorinox pairing knife.......this one use to be something made by Tramontina  >:D

He's pretty good with kydex as well, horizontal belt carry

Sometimes I really dislike you because after the pics you post I start :drool: like a St Bernard dog

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 28, 2017, 03:24:50 AM
For a good number of years I EDC'd a pocket carried fixed blade. Oddly the law or perhaps the enforcement of the law in New York City favors carry of fixed blades. Under four inches and concealed and you shouldn't have a problem. Whereas with folders, if the officer can figure out a way to get the knife open with one hand, even if it takes ridiculous manipulations and many tries, you may be charged with carrying a gravity knife. Hopefully this is about to change as there is a law headed to the governor which clarifies the difference between an actual gravity knife and a one-hand opener. But like a lot of things in my life I have downsized to pretty much just carrying a SAK. I do prefer fixed blades though in many respects, the primary reason being that they are so much easier to clean.

From top to bottom:

Fallkniven WM1
Esse Izula
Custom
Bark River Little Creek
AG Russel Hunter's Scalpel

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 07:01:23 AM
Nice group.   :like:
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #20 on: August 28, 2017, 03:06:46 PM
lovely knives     :like:

I always wanted to try the AG Scalpel, i it as nice as they say out there?
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 28, 2017, 05:54:20 PM
It's a nice little knife. The blade is thin but thick enough to be sturdy and not flex too much and with the full flat grind it is a great little cutter.

The sheath rocks and is very secure. Press the thumb bolt and the knife pops right out. It would make a great neck knife and weighs next to nothing. It is almost small enough to be used as a zipper pull.

The only negative in my mind is the handle size. For my medium sized hands it is right between being a two and three finger handle. I would prefer another 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch in length for a better grip. But overall I quite like it  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%