Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A new SAK related book

Grathr · 29 · 1750

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
A new SAK related book
on: August 18, 2017, 02:53:54 PM
Looks like there is a new SAK related book out. (Saw it on knifeknews) :
The Swiss Army Knife Book: 63 Outdoor Projects.
https://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Army-Knife-Book-Projects/dp/0711238898

Has anyone here read it? Is it any good?

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ua Offline LeaF

Re: A new SAK related book
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 03:00:23 PM
Looks like there is a new SAK related book out. (Saw it on knifeknews) :
The Swiss Army Knife Book: 63 Outdoor Projects.
https://www.amazon.com/Sw...ok-Projects/dp/0711238898

Has anyone here read it? Is it any good?
I bought this book few monts before.
Nothing related only to the SAKs - everything from these projects can be done with another knife. Pure marketing... :(

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 03:00:57 PM
That looks like a fun read!
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 03:28:25 PM
Definitely a fun read.

Author Felix Immler uses a Victorinox Ranger Grip for various bushcrafting projects. He's very creative and obviously skilled.

True, most of the projects could be made with any multitool that has a knife and a saw. Or a fixed blade and a separate saw. I think Immler's point here (no pun intended) is to show how many useful and simple projects can be constructed using something as simple as a SAK. So, while not SAK specific, Immler uses his trusty Vic Ranger for each and every project. Except maybe the project where he builds a stone oven to bake bread in.....

us Offline docfossil

Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 10:27:32 PM
Not new. If I am correct, it was available in a German and French version.

I agree with other reviewers, these projects are not limited to being done solely by a SAK; however, a good SAK is all one needs to complete them; otherwise some other multitool or several tools.

It's an interesting book, but not as interesting as Jackson's Swiss Army Knives; a collector's companion or Young's The Swiss Army Knife; Owner's manual.
Vic Ranger and original Gerber Needle-nose Multitool = EDC
Formerly, Vic Huntsman x3
Semper Versitalis

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 10:37:48 PM
I'm waiting for Jazzbass's book to come out...   :salute:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 12:44:15 AM
So I gather that all you really need is a blade and a saw to do all the stuff in the book?

I may still buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 12:50:09 AM
So I gather that all you really need is a blade and a saw to do all the stuff in the book?

I think he makes use of the awl as well. I don't recall him using the corkscrew or can opener, but he's a pretty creative guy.  :climber:

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 01:23:46 AM
have not checked it out but would like to   :like:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Tired_Yeti

A new SAK related book
Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 03:23:04 AM

I think he makes use of the awl as well. I don't recall him using the corkscrew or can opener, but he's a pretty creative guy.  :climber:
Not sure if this one is in the book (since I don't have it yet), but he uses what looks like a Swiss Champ. Using the saw, knives, can opener, pen, awl, and pliers.
https://youtu.be/GjHOz3_Fbc4

* Shared this video in another thread. Sorry for the overkill.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 03:25:41 AM by Tired_Yeti »

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 05:49:04 AM
Great book. What I got out of it though was that imagination was the key ingredient. Fun read

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 03:11:14 AM
Great book. What I got out of it though was that imagination was the key ingredient. Fun read
Yes!!
I caught that too! If you have some mechanical aptitude and have the ability to see the steps necessary to build something, the knife will let you do it. I've watched his YouTube channel. I ordered the book for my library but it hasn't arrived yet. Hurricane Harvey has delayed everything down here for awhile.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 03:54:39 AM
Well, sharpen your blade and true your awl; you'll need 'em.  :D

us Offline Tired_Yeti

A new SAK related book
Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 05:50:44 PM
Any idea why this ships from Amazon but does not ship for 1 to 4 WEEKS after you buy it?!

I canceled my order after I waited nearly 2 weeks and the shipping date kept pushing back.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 08:35:09 PM
They may have sold out of a first printing.....everybody wants one.   :whistle:

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 06:57:06 PM
They may have sold out of a first printing.....everybody wants one.   :whistle:
Ugh! I reordered. Now...

I just keep waiting and watching the mail.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: September 17, 2017, 07:12:09 PM
Dude, you need to eat more....uhhmmmm..doughnuts.   :pok:

us Offline KandiKlover

• Classic SD - SwissChamp
Reply #17 on: September 18, 2017, 01:01:47 AM
I can't remember if it was thki book exactly but I remember seeing a video where someone talked about this book when I was searching youtube for SAK videos. I think he may habe done one of the projects on vid but can't remember. Watched so many SAK vids in the past couple months.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

A new SAK related book
Reply #18 on: September 18, 2017, 05:01:00 PM
I can't remember if it was this book exactly but I remember seeing a video where someone talked about this book when I was searching youtube for SAK videos. I think he may have done one of the projects on vid but can't remember. Watched so many SAK vids in the past couple months.
Well, yes, he has. Felix has a YouTube channel where he does a lot of bushcraft with just a SAK and some string that he brings along in his pocket. Just a couple weeks ago, I had posted a video of him whittling a spoon at his campsite.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 05:02:57 PM by Tired_Yeti »

us Offline KandiKlover

Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 06:38:23 AM
I can't remember if it was this book exactly but I remember seeing a video where someone talked about this book when I was searching youtube for SAK videos. I think he may have done one of the projects on vid but can't remember. Watched so many SAK vids in the past couple months.
Well, yes, he has. Felix has a YouTube channel where he does a lot of bushcraft with just a SAK and some string that he brings along in his pocket. Just a couple weeks ago, I had posted a video of him whittling a spoon at his campsite.

Oh yes that was it :3 I guess I did watch his videos than hehe I find it relaxing. Very fun stuff.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 10:29:40 PM
DOOOOOOD!!! Come on!!!

Now my scAmazon orders say this...

The kept pushing it back. NOW they want to tell me it could arrive as soon as 2 days but it hasn't even shipped yet?!

Stop it! I can't take the teasing!
If I wanted to be teased like this I'd go to a strip club. Amazon, you're a cruel mistress.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #21 on: October 04, 2017, 01:26:05 AM
Dad gummit!!! Man!!

They still haven't even shipped it yet! At this point, the book better be damned STELLAR. I'm getting a bitter taste in my mouth about this. I mean, he did already *write* the thing already, right?!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: October 04, 2017, 02:34:10 AM
Lower your expectations by a couple points.  :twak:

It's a charming book and quite inspirational, but it is not going to displace Tolstoy or Mark Twain from the pantheon of great writers.

Patience, patience, patience. You'll be glad you got it in the end. It's fun.  :cheers:

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #23 on: October 04, 2017, 03:05:10 AM
Lower your expectations by a couple points.  :twak:

It's a charming book and quite inspirational, but it is not going to displace Tolstoy or Mark Twain from the pantheon of great writers.

Patience, patience, patience. You'll be glad you got it in the end. It's fun.  :cheers:
I'm starting to feel like I already got it in the end. LOL!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 03:20:00 AM
 :facepalm:

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 02:27:18 PM
So yesterday, the 11th, the status is this:
Supposed to arrive on the 12th...but not even shipped yet.

This morning, the status is updated to this:

I have a feeling this book is going to be a flop because they can't get it out to customers. It's not going to stay in print because they won't sell enough of them to keep it alive. I think they've held onto my $15 long enough. I'm cancelling my order and will spend the money elsewhere. The book looks like a fun idea, but I think I'm going to pass on this one.

us Offline KandiKlover

Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 10:03:58 PM
So yesterday, the 11th, the status is this:
(Image removed from quote.) Supposed to arrive on the 12th...but not even shipped yet.

This morning, the status is updated to this:
(Image removed from quote.)

I have a feeling this book is going to be a flop because they can't get it out to customers. It's not going to stay in print because they won't sell enough of them to keep it alive. I think they've held onto my $15 long enough. I'm cancelling my order and will spend the money elsewhere. The book looks like a fun idea, but I think I'm going to pass on this one.

Yeah amazon is trash now, most of the time I only ever buy from non amazon fufilled merchants. They just threw my swisschamp in a cheap bubble envelope. Threw my expensive sony shortwave radio in just a bubble pack. I been mostly just on ebay the past couple years now cuz of that crap.

us Offline lichan

Reply #27 on: October 13, 2017, 05:55:48 PM
My big complaint about Amazon is their attempt to force you into paying for Prime. If you order enough to get free shipping on a regular account, the order will sit in limbo for several days until a day before the shipping limit is reached and then be pulled, packed and shipped and arrive the next day. If you order exactly the same things through a Prime account they will be pulled and shipped the same or next day. Greed and a lust for power has blinded them to what made them successful in the first place.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #28 on: October 14, 2017, 06:52:25 PM
My big complaint about Amazon is their attempt to force you into paying for Prime. If you order enough to get free shipping on a regular account, the order will sit in limbo for several days until a day before the shipping limit is reached and then be pulled, packed and shipped and arrive the next day. If you order exactly the same things through a Prime account they will be pulled and shipped the same or next day. Greed and a lust for power has blinded them to what made them successful in the first place.
A few months ago, I was listening to a podcast about finance (value investing, to be specific). One episode of the podcast was about the book The Everything Store, written about Jeff Bezos (founder of Amazon). You may remember that way back in the beginning, it was Amazon Books (in the '90's). Even back then, Bezos said Amazon has always been about the customer reviews--more than the products and/or the profits. Sounds great! But over the years, with Amazon allowing so many 3rd party sellers, and allowing programs (usually offered by those 3rd parties) that provide "free" or discounted products in exchange for "honest and unbiased" (ouch! I just rolled my eyes too hard and they almost stuck that way) reviews...Amazon's quality and trustworthiness has noticeably dropped. To fill their shelves, so to speak, Amazon has allowed pretty much ANYONE to offer products through Amazon regardless of how phony they are.
Used products sold as New products. Low quality, Chinese products sold as European or American made products. There seems to be no end to the list of questionable sellers and deals.
Now, this book, being sold at a reasonable price, but not only is it out of stock--it seems this seller has NEVER had the book in stock. I have my doubts about whether the seller ever even ordered any copies at all.

I, for one, immediately disregard any review that was given on a free product. Unfortunately, there is A LOT of that going on at Amazon. A review by a customer has some value; a review by a recipient has none. If there's no "skin in the game"...well, I know human nature.

We've used Amazon for years, but it's becoming a cesspool. I guess the cyber world isn't totally different from the natural world. If you let too many people in your pool, eventually, it becomes a sewer.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD