Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Axe redesigned after 8000 years!

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Axe redesigned after 8000 years!
Reply #30 on: September 02, 2017, 12:58:09 AM
Yep exactly that, all that's necessary is a different way to hold the wood instead of $150 lump of cast iron plus a club hammer.
I would hate to think what the shipping costs are. Perhaps shipping from Down Under (where I assume they are all made) to North America is a component of that $150 too.

Around home (when I had a fire) I would usually collect dead branches and prunings and store them to dry out for kindling. Easy to break up with a sturdy pair of gloves. No need to split wood into kindling. Out camping is a different story though, and you wouldn't want to carry a Kindling Cracker out there.

Anyway, kinda off-topic as the lever axe thingy is more about splitting bigger wood.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #31 on: September 02, 2017, 12:58:42 AM
Oh and
:nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance:

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: September 04, 2017, 03:02:55 AM
More than one way to skin a cat, and more than one way to split kindling. Choose the method that suits you the best.
I used to use a hatchet and made kindling from old cut up fence palings. All depends on what you have available too.
Oh, and a Gransfors Buks Small Forest Axe in Australia can be over $200, so price is a factor on your choice wherever you are

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #33 on: September 04, 2017, 06:10:57 AM
More than one way to skin a cat, and more than one way to split kindling. Choose the method that suits you the best.
I used to use a hatchet and made kindling from old cut up fence palings. All depends on what you have available too.
Oh, and a Gransfors Buks Small Forest Axe in Australia can be over $200, so price is a factor on your choice wherever you are

Yeah, that's a pricey axe for sure. If anyone is looking for a good budget option, I keep hearing good things about the Fiskars X7. Don't have one yet myself though.

gb Offline daverobson

Reply #34 on: September 04, 2017, 08:29:47 AM

Yeah, that's a pricey axe for sure. If anyone is looking for a good budget option, I keep hearing good things about the Fiskars X7. Don't have one yet myself though.

I haven't tried one myself but for a good budget option there could be the Husqvarna 576 92 64-01 Hatchet.
Available in the UK for £21.95  :ahhh
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Husqvarna-Hatchet-Axe-Firewood-Kindling-Bushcraft-Camping-576-92-64-01-/132314351092?hash=item1ece8cc5f4:g:SnUAAOSwK6RZMYeQ

hr Offline styx

Reply #35 on: September 04, 2017, 09:01:52 AM
A few months ago I did what I was told by my health professional and bought an electric powered kinetic log splitter.  In a couple of hours work today I split more firewood than I could have in a serous 1/2 a day with either my maul or my splitting axe (and a lot of it was curly grain eucalyptus which can be a real pain to split).  I can still move (albeit with a slightly stiff back) so while expensive it was money well spent.

Considering your health that was an extremely wise investment. How heavy and difficult to set up is the splitter?

I haven't tried one myself but for a good budget option there could be the Husqvarna 576 92 64-01 Hatchet.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Husqvarna-Hatchet-Axe-Firewood-Kindling-Bushcraft-Camping-576-92-64-01-/132314351092?hash=item1ece8cc5f4:g:SnUAAOSwK6RZMYeQ

Well supposedly they are on the heavy side with a thick handle. Nut that also depends on the reviewer (some will poopoo on anything under $100, even if by giving very underhanded compliments).
Fiskars is a solid inexpensive brand, in the US Council tool has a very solid inexpensive line. Sadly I don't know of any inexpensive lines or brands that can be found world wide. Perhaps Bahco has something
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline daverobson

Reply #36 on: September 04, 2017, 10:14:07 AM
Fiskars is a solid inexpensive brand, in the US Council tool has a very solid inexpensive line. Sadly I don't know of any inexpensive lines or brands that can be found world wide. Perhaps Bahco has something

Possibly this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Bahco-HGPS-Standard-Hand-Axes/dp/B06Y5XXHBP

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: September 04, 2017, 10:26:06 AM

I can't talk about the Husky hatchet, but it looked very rough for the only available offering at my local dealer, and $48 or $49 AUD, so not so far off your Pounds conversion. The Husky Forest Axe was $77, and I did buy that. The Fiskars X7 14" is $65 at the local big box store, and for 5 bucks more at the same place you can get an Aussie brand Cyclone 2kg felling axe (modern version of my Hytest 4.5lb). So we don't really get the Fiskars products for that great a price

hr Offline styx

Reply #38 on: September 04, 2017, 03:00:58 PM

Possibly this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Bahco-HGPS-Standard-Hand-Axes/dp/B06Y5XXHBP

Possibly. But who knows how good it is. What about garage sales, swap meets or similar things that might be going on locally? You could get an old head and heft it

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #39 on: September 05, 2017, 07:15:25 PM
A few months ago I did what I was told by my health professional and bought an electric powered kinetic log splitter.  In a couple of hours work today I split more firewood than I could have in a serious 1/2 a day with either my maul or my splitting axe (and a lot of it was curly grain eucalyptus which can be a real pain to split).  I can still move (albeit with a slightly stiff back) so while expensive it was money well spent.

Considering your health that was an extremely wise investment. How heavy and difficult to set up is the splitter?

Yep, I'm happy with the results.  It is a bit heavy to lift one end, but once you get it up in the air a bit it is pretty easy to move, as most of the weight is then on the wheels, not on the end you are lifting.  I don't think I'd like to move it too far on a sloping surface as it does weigh over 100kg so it would be hard going pushing it uphill, with a distinct tendency to run away downhill..
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

hr Offline styx

Reply #40 on: September 05, 2017, 08:41:19 PM
A few months ago I did what I was told by my health professional and bought an electric powered kinetic log splitter.  In a couple of hours work today I split more firewood than I could have in a serious 1/2 a day with either my maul or my splitting axe (and a lot of it was curly grain eucalyptus which can be a real pain to split).  I can still move (albeit with a slightly stiff back) so while expensive it was money well spent.

Yep, I'm happy with the results.  It is a bit heavy to lift one end, but once you get it up in the air a bit it is pretty easy to move, as most of the weight is then on the wheels, not on the end you are lifting.  I don't think I'd like to move it too far on a sloping surface as it does weigh over 100kg so it would be hard going pushing it uphill, with a distinct tendency to run away downhill..

I'm guessing that putting it sideways wouldn't work

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #41 on: September 06, 2017, 03:13:50 AM
Watching this at the moment...

Although reading some of the comments, perhaps it is not being used correctly?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 03:21:25 AM by Syncop8r »

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #42 on: September 06, 2017, 03:21:46 AM
This looks like a better way:

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: September 06, 2017, 04:31:20 AM
Or you can split it on the ground

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: September 06, 2017, 05:03:33 AM

"I'm not a fanboy of manufacturers..." *

*Unless it's Gransfors Bruks, then I'm all over that like a fat kid on a cupcake.

Yeah, I wouldn't pay 350USD for that thing either

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: September 06, 2017, 05:04:32 AM
This looks like a better way:

I agree with you, some good tips in that vid

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #46 on: September 06, 2017, 06:23:51 AM

Not if you needed to move it uphill or downhill  ??? 

Thankfully I decided to use it very near where I store it, I did consider moving to near my woodpile, but it is too heavy and awkward to do that every time I want to use it, and i don't want to leave it anywhere it could be easily stolen.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

hr Offline styx

Reply #47 on: September 06, 2017, 09:22:04 AM

Not if you needed to move it uphill or downhill  ??? 

Thankfully I decided to use it very near where I store it, I did consider moving to near my woodpile, but it is too heavy and awkward to do that every time I want to use it, and i don't want to leave it anywhere it could be easily stolen.

well at this point I really have no helpful insights, suggestions or questions. Constantly having to move that thing around would defeat the purpose of getting it to save your back. wait, you have to pick it up from the ground... maybe a technique change in picking it up could help out a little?

Or you can split it on the ground

That looks like something that requires a bit of experience. Oddly enough I was very close to getting banned on another forum because of a guy who was machoing it up at a meet using a similar technique. From the video they shot it was obvious that he was just taking wild swings. And one of those ended up in his foot. Not a pretty sight. One of the first time I used the phrase "if you don't have a countdown clock then you can spare the 5 extra minutes to think".

Now that is not to say the technique is bad. Just that a novice shouldn't rush into it. Take it slow, be deliberate, look at the details and don't use it when you're beat and have sweat (or anything else) mucking up your vision if you've never done it. And if you have take it even slower because most big mistakes happen on the 100th hour. Although this can be applied to pretty much everything.

"I'm not a fanboy of manufacturers..." *

*Unless it's Gransfors Bruks, then I'm all over that like a fat kid on a cupcake.

Yeah, I wouldn't pay 350USD for that thing either

Have you seen this?

I really like this guy's simple no bs mentality

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: September 06, 2017, 10:40:59 AM

Have you seen this?

I have seen that one, I've been binging on a lot of his vids lately.

"My Honda is Jacked Up!.... On bricks!"

He does make a good point about not buying into the hype and expectation that you buy an expensive tool you'll be a better axeman. Learn on something cheaper and affordable, learn how to sharpen it and look after it, if you smurf it up, who cares? You learnt something without wasting lots of money. If I had a chance to own a GB axe I wouldn't say no, but I can't justify to myself to shell out 200 buckeroos for one right now.
An Aussie handle manufacturer Krugers sells a Bonser axe for $31, it's probably Chinese steel, dunno, but still less than half the cost of the equivalent Cyclone tool, and probably still better than the Cyclone budget Trojan (made in China) option as it would have a decent Aussie spotted gum handle on it
http://www.krugers.com.au/store/p14/4lb_Axe_with_Spotted_Gum_handle.html

hr Offline styx

Reply #49 on: September 06, 2017, 11:23:06 AM

Have you seen this?

I have seen that one, I've been binging on a lot of his vids lately.

"My Honda is Jacked Up!.... On bricks!"

He does make a good point about not buying into the hype and expectation that you buy an expensive tool you'll be a better axeman. Learn on something cheaper and affordable, learn how to sharpen it and look after it, if you smurf it up, who cares? You learnt something without wasting lots of money. If I had a chance to own a GB axe I wouldn't say no, but I can't justify to myself to shell out 200 buckeroos for one right now.
An Aussie handle manufacturer Krugers sells a Bonser axe for $31, it's probably Chinese steel, dunno, but still less than half the cost of the equivalent Cyclone tool, and probably still better than the Cyclone budget Trojan (made in China) option as it would have a decent Aussie spotted gum handle on it
http://www.krugers.com.au/store/p14/4lb_Axe_with_Spotted_Gum_handle.html

Well I'm still wondering how my grandfather managed to buck and split so much wood over the years with a second hand fire axe.
I really should hit the flea market

hr Offline styx

Reply #50 on: September 06, 2017, 11:27:03 AM
Here is a very thorough review of a Fiskars hatchet and some comparisons to the Gransfors bruks Wildlife hatchet

http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/reviews/fiskars_hatchet.html

Now if given the choice I'd rather take the Wildlife but the price being the main deterrent

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #51 on: September 06, 2017, 11:35:41 AM
Have you seen this?

... this is what it's about, right, is getting work done. Or is it? Maybe it's not...
;)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 11:37:39 AM by Syncop8r »

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: September 06, 2017, 03:11:04 PM
99% of people locally have a horrifically dull axe in the general vicinity of the BBQ area, so dull that accidental hits could cause bruising and broken bones, but no cuts  :facepalm:

Reason being we buy bags of local hardwood cut into 30cm'sh pieces, split or not depending on the size of the branch.

Batoning, be it with a knife or an axe is the safest and least effort way, and practically unknown locally. 

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #53 on: September 08, 2017, 03:00:01 AM
Ha, guess what I found while sorting through old files on my computer, I saved this from probably 10+ years ago. No fancy axe/holder here.

hr Offline styx

Reply #54 on: September 08, 2017, 08:01:53 AM
Just checked the price on Fiskars x7. Not a bad, will have to start looking for it. A big part for me is the lower maintenance because of the handle

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: September 08, 2017, 11:21:03 AM
Just checked the price on Fiskars x7. Not a bad, will have to start looking for it. A big part for me is the lower maintenance because of the handle

What sort of price range for you? It appeals as a good car option, no need to worry about the handle drying out. Well a fibreglass handle would be the same too

hr Offline styx

Reply #56 on: September 08, 2017, 05:47:35 PM

What sort of price range for you? It appeals as a good car option, no need to worry about the handle drying out. Well a fibreglass handle would be the same too

Most stores are about 300 on it. I found some that are closer to 200 though which is the same price of 2 Mora Companions

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: September 11, 2017, 09:08:18 AM

Most stores are about 300 on it. I found some that are closer to 200 though which is the same price of 2 Mora Companions

Yeah, if you can get it for 200 that sounds better. About AUD40, when we pay about AUD65

hr Offline styx

Reply #58 on: September 11, 2017, 04:39:31 PM

Yeah, if you can get it for 200 that sounds better. About AUD40, when we pay about AUD65

Amazing how prices are similar on opposite sides of the worlds

gb Offline daverobson

Reply #59 on: September 11, 2017, 05:39:38 PM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56