Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Modding Spirit sheath for inside waistband carry

us Offline tommywp

Modding Spirit sheath for inside waistband carry
on: August 19, 2017, 04:28:15 AM
What's up fellas. Loving the Spirit but still trying to figure out how to best carry it. Found a decent way to pocket carry with a nano clip through one of the side lanyards and a suspension clip attached, but I found the stuff attached to the lanyard hole annoying when using the tool.  I'm also really starting to favor waistband carry, but the caveat is that I don't like sheaths hanging off my belt, so it has to be inside the waistband.

Was putzing around today and realized that the clip from a 10 ft Stanley tape measure fits perfectly between the rivets of the leather Spirit sheath. The best parts is that there's space between the back of the sheath and the extra piece of leather that the belt is supposed to go through, so the clip can get shoved between the two with no metal rubbing against the tool and nothing to get snagged on the waistband.

Cut off the flap, removed the velcro patch, and shoved in the clip.

Carried it all day and the clip didn't move at all. That being said it's just shoved in there, with nothing holding it in place except friction with the 2 pieces of leather and I'd like to make the attachment a little more secure. Not sure how to do that besides squirting some glue in, and not sure that's a good idea, so would love to hear any ideas.

As an aside a 3-4 layer sak and aaa flashlight combo fit nicely too.

:cheers:
IMG_3940.JPG
* IMG_3940.JPG (Filesize: 206.23 KB)
IMG_3935.JPG
* IMG_3935.JPG (Filesize: 117.97 KB)
IMG_3936.JPG
* IMG_3936.JPG (Filesize: 232.47 KB)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 04:56:46 AM by tommywp »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Modding Spirit sheath for inside waistband carry
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 12:56:44 PM
Nice one Tommy :tu: :like: :like:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 01:44:56 PM
that's awesome!
I live carrying IWB and have tried with my Spirit(s) with no luck, but this seems promising. I might try it myself if you don't mind me robbing the idea   :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline tommywp

Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 02:00:43 PM
that's awesome!
I live carrying IWB and have tried with my Spirit(s) with no luck, but this seems promising. I might try it myself if you don't mind me robbing the idea   :salute:

Do it bro!!! Need a second opinion about leaving it as-is vs adding some glue!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 03:26:51 PM
Interesting idea. I don't carry inside the waist band for fear of it puncturing the spare tyre  :P but it's interesting to see how different people have different approaches.

For added retention, would it be worth adding a rivet through the center of the clip?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline italophil

Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 04:19:45 PM
What's up fellas. Loving the Spirit but still trying to figure out how to best carry it. Found a decent way to pocket carry with a nano clip through one of the side lanyards and a suspension clip attached, but I found the stuff attached to the lanyard hole annoying when using the tool.  I'm also really starting to favor waistband carry, but the caveat is that I don't like sheaths hanging off my belt, so it has to be inside the waistband.

Was putzing around today and realized that the clip from a 10 ft Stanley tape measure fits perfectly between the rivets of the leather Spirit sheath. The best parts is that there's space between the back of the sheath and the extra piece of leather that the belt is supposed to go through, so the clip can get shoved between the two with no metal rubbing against the tool and nothing to get snagged on the waistband.

Cut off the flap, removed the velcro patch, and shoved in the clip.

Carried it all day and the clip didn't move at all. That being said it's just shoved in there, with nothing holding it in place except friction with the 2 pieces of leather and I'd like to make the attachment a little more secure. Not sure how to do that besides squirting some glue in, and not sure that's a good idea, so would love to hear any ideas.

As an aside a 3-4 layer sak and aaa flashlight combo fit nicely too.

:cheers:

Perhaps double sided tape (as a 3M employee I would suggest Scotch or VHB) could work and not harden the leather like cyanoacrylates would.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 04:34:00 PM
I attached a clip from another sheath to my vic sheath by using rivets.  I also like the 3M tape idea. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline tommywp

Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 09:09:44 PM
Thanks guys. Had some 3M VHB tape laying around...Wasnt sure if that would adhere to leather, but italophil's recommendation made it worth a shot (anyone that uses 'cyanoacrylates' must know what they're talking about).  It's a tight squeeze to get the clip in place, and you can kind of see how the tape rolled up toward the top of the clip. I have no clue how much support the tape is giving, if any, but doesn't seem like it's hurting for now.

Rivets are a good idea. Shied away from it at first bc neither side of the rivet is exposed, but now that I think about it I could slide a piece of metal on the same side of the clip as the tape to hammer against and put the punch through the oval hole (the rivet would go through the figure 8 hole in the back of the clip...took the last picture before a slid the clip in to show how the back hole lines up). Not sure what size rivet I would need so would probably need to buy a whole kit. Might live with it as is, and if it starts to slip then buy the kit and give it a shot.
IMG_3945.JPG
* IMG_3945.JPG (Filesize: 127.92 KB)
IMG_3950.JPG
* IMG_3950.JPG (Filesize: 127.42 KB)
IMG_3939.JPG
* IMG_3939.JPG (Filesize: 160.85 KB)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 10:10:51 PM by tommywp »

us Offline tommywp

Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 10:03:29 PM
Two more pics
IMG_3948.JPG
* IMG_3948.JPG (Filesize: 238.62 KB)
IMG_3944.JPG
* IMG_3944.JPG (Filesize: 107.41 KB)

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 10:14:55 PM
If that works for you then  :tu:

It looks awfully uncomfortable to me though   :-\

us Offline tommywp

Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 10:20:47 PM
It's deceiving. The way it sticks up out of the sheath looks like it would dig in, but for whatever reason it doesn't. It's at the 4 o'clock position, which I find to be the most comfortable place for IWB...also where I carry folders and my skeletool, and don't fell those either

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%