Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

One Layer SAKs, Alox vs. Celidor

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
One Layer SAKs, Alox vs. Celidor
on: August 19, 2017, 04:27:04 PM
Victorinox has a decent range of one layer SAKs. The likes of the Waiter, Bantam, Excelsior, Solo, etc, in Alox and Celidor, in a range of sizes.
Obviously the Celidor models are very slim, but the Alox versions disappear when you look at them sideways, because they're so skinny.  :ahhh

Alox Bantam vs Celidor Bantam, Alox Excelsior vs Celidor Excelsior, they are the same except for the Alox/Celidor difference and are directly comparable.
Celidor Waiter vs Alox Bantam is more of a stretch, but can be compared as well.

So basically what I'm asking you all, one layer Alox, or one layer Celidor?  :think: :cheers:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Re: One Layer SAKs, Alox vs. Celidor
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 04:37:48 PM
If you're going for a one layer SAK, you clearly want it to be thin. And if you want it to be thin, alox is the answer. Why only go 1/2 way to the slimmest possible SAK with celidor?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 04:40:51 PM
If you're going for a one layer SAK, you clearly want it to be thin. And if you want it to be thin, alox is the answer. Why only go 1/2 way to the slimmest possible SAK with celidor?
That's one way to look at it.  :cheers:
On the other hand, is there such a thing as too thin?  :think:

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 05:07:35 PM

I think so.  The one comparison for me is my Cadet 2 and my Recruit 84mm.  While my Cadet 2 is a wonderful knife my Recruit has nice hand feel do to its thickness ( as compared ).  Some love the way tools disappear in their pockets and I can agree but I also like the feel of thicker vs thinner scales. 

This will certainly be a matter of what each person likes.  There are certainly those that just love "thinner is better".   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 05:50:32 PM

I think so.  The one comparison for me is my Cadet 2 and my Recruit 84mm.  While my Cadet 2 is a wonderful knife my Recruit has nice hand feel do to its thickness ( as compared ).  Some love the way tools disappear in their pockets and I can agree but I also like the feel of thicker vs thinner scales. 

This will certainly be a matter of what each person likes.  There are certainly those that just love "thinner is better".   

+1  :waving:

While I have both, the 1-layer cellidor 84's that feel a little bit better in the hand while using and have T&T get my vote. However the Pioneer Solo at 93mm is really nice, very light, and strong enough to do a lot of cutting/whittling...perfect candidate for neck-carry or hiding in your kit somewhere.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 06:00:01 PM
I look at it two ways, if one is comparing Bantams, I'd choose the alox version hands down, as it's stronger, but between the alox Bantam and Waiter, the Waiter gets my pick, due to T&T and the eyeglass screwdriver.  Ultimately, in the spirit of the forum, they're all inexpensive enough to get one of each and see what strikes your fancy the best, or just alternate out on various days.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 06:07:06 PM
I carry Swiss knives for the excellent scissors. No scissors = no carry. I'll carry one of my traditional knives instead (and a pliers based tool with decent scissors).

It's funny how I'll put a traditional one/two bladed knife in my pocket, but not my Tourist. Even though the Tourist offers more function, I can't help feeling it's incomplete without the scissors :think:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 06:19:32 PM
I carry Swiss knives for the excellent scissors. No scissors = no carry. I'll carry one of my traditional knives instead (and a pliers based tool with decent scissors).

It's funny how I'll put a traditional one/two bladed knife in my pocket, but not my Tourist. Even though the Tourist offers more function, I can't help feeling it's incomplete without the scissors :think:

You have a bad case of scissors obsession. Get help :P
 :D

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 06:52:03 PM
Interesting viewpoints everyone.  :cheers:

I'm planning a one layer 93mm Alox mod, with just the bottle opener and can opener.  :ahhh

It will be a companion SAK to my bladeless Woodsman because the bladeless Woodsman can-not open cans, due to the position of the can opener.  :facepalm:
And also because it seems like a cool mod.  8)

And if I don't feel the need for a Corkscrew or Saw on some days, it will pair very nicely with a Rambler I think. Very minimalist.  8)

All hail the hook!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 07:45:57 PM

You have a bad case of scissors obsession. Get help :P

It's called enlightenment  :P :D

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 07:56:30 PM
Alox are thinner and have (my opinion) more style.
I would prefer celidor only when I really need the scale tools.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 07:57:31 PM by Sneider »
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 07:59:39 PM
I'm planning a one layer 93mm Alox mod, with just the bottle opener and can opener.  :ahhh

It will be a companion SAK to my bladeless Woodsman because the bladeless Woodsman can-not open cans, due to the position of the can opener.  :facepalm:

And if I don't feel the need for a Corkscrew or Saw on some days, it will pair very nicely with a Rambler I think. Very minimalist.  8)
I like this. :tu:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 08:00:48 PM by shadowrider »

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 08:16:42 PM

Why so many bladeless mods. And how is the Woodsman's can opener positioned that it can't open cans?  :think:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 08:28:36 PM

I like this. :tu:
Thanks. I'll make a thread in the mod squad with pics when I do it.  :cheers:

All hail the hook!

us Offline Frailer

Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 08:42:39 PM
I carry Swiss knives for the excellent scissors. No scissors = no carry....

Scissors + thin = awesome...which is why the Compact is king of the cellidor SAKs.

Back to the original question, I love the single layer 93mm Alox models, but in 84mm Alox the Cadet is already thin enough for me.

I'd love to see a 93mm incarnation of the Bantam.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 08:43:16 PM

Why so many bladeless mods. And how is the Woodsman's can opener positioned that it can't open cans?  :think:
Regarding the can opener, I put it in the position of the large blade, with the bottle opener in the position of the small blade, because there is no other way to do it neatly without grinding tools and springs, as far as I know. :ahhh
Unfortunately, this means that the SAK itself gets in the way of opening cans right handed, so it won't work opening cans right handed because it can-not hook the rim of the can, if you know what I mean. Left handed works, but the can opener is grinded for right handed use. So it makes a mess of the job left handed.  :ahhh

Knife laws in Ireland are worded such that they don't allow for carrying of blades, needles, pencils, etc without a "Reasonable Excuse"(Such as camping, but not EDC), which is a legally defined term. Practically, you won't get arrested if seen with a sharp pencil in public, unless you are sulking around a nightclub, clearly up to no good, at 2am.
You can probably get away with a 91mm SAK in the day, if you are a respectable office worker and the Garda in question is sensible, but theres always a risk, if carrying a SAK for edc purposes. I can probably get away with it, but I prefer not to take the risk. :cheers:

And a funny thing. Personally, I don't use the blade for much that I cannot use the scissors for, out and about. So I don't feel like I'm missing anything, and I have a few unmodded bladed SAKs and a slipjoint knife, to use if I so desire.  :cheers:
And taking out the blades reduced my woodsman from a hefty 5 layers, two of them thick, to a more manageable 4 layers. :cheers: Lots of function in a medium package.

All hail the hook!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 09:00:06 PM
I like T&T in a single layer, gentleman carry knife.
Consistent with the elegant and do-it all character of the gentleman in a very slim, inconspicuous and carriable package

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 09:30:14 PM
Yes, a knife can be too thin in my opinion.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 20, 2017, 12:42:55 AM

But only if you're a member of the Cult of Inefficient Tool Redundancy  :P

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 20, 2017, 02:57:45 AM
Bantam and Premier.  I love the sleekness of the Alox but it's so thin I'm always afraid I'll lose it. The Premier sees most of the use between these two.
20170819_172709.jpg
* 20170819_172709.jpg (Filesize: 276.53 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #20 on: August 20, 2017, 01:09:32 PM
I'll admit, the Alox Bantam feels too thin in my hands.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: August 20, 2017, 01:36:19 PM

:rofl:

It's called using the right tool for the job  ;) just cos you can pry with a screwdriver doesn't mean you should. Knives will never be a replacement for scissors, even if they can do some of the tasks in a rough arsed fashion  :D

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 20, 2017, 02:00:54 PM

:rofl:

It's called using the right tool for the job  ;) just cos you can pry with a screwdriver doesn't mean you should. Knives will never be a replacement for scissors, even if they can do some of the tasks in a rough arsed fashion  :D

Agreed... in a way...

But remember the knife blades where invented to cut things, the scissors are basically two knife blades opposed to each other connected on a pivot point that's meant to make specific types of cutting jobs easier.

Both serve the same function (or job...   >:D), cutting stuff, the scissors just make certain types of cutting jobs easier...   :whistle: 

Jokes apart, there is never exactly "the right tool for the job" on a sak, i think the beauty of Sak's is just that: Improvise   :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 02:33:23 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #23 on: August 20, 2017, 11:12:34 PM
For one layer, I prefer cellidor- the alox is too skinny for comfort in the hand.

If you could find an Apprentice, it would be an excellent minimalist EDC. Or make one out of a Waiter.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 20, 2017, 11:23:35 PM
For one layer, I prefer cellidor- the alox is too skinny for comfort in the hand.

If you could find an Apprentice, it would be an excellent minimalist EDC. Or make one out of a Waiter.

Made from a Waiter, and it is a worthwhile smaller EDC...   :cheers:
Apprentice3.jpg
* Apprentice3.jpg (Filesize: 186.16 KB)
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: August 20, 2017, 11:27:21 PM

Made from a Waiter, and it is a worthwhile smaller EDC...   :cheers:
I want to mod a SAK with just a can opener, and bottle opener. It appears that the most elegant way of doing it would be a 84mm Recruit with no blade layer, or an 93mm Alox with no blade layer.
Since this SAK is to be a companion to a Celidor SAK, I think that I'd like it to be as thin as possible, hence the 93mm alox choice.  :think: :cheers:

The Apprentice looks very nice though.  :cheers:

All hail the hook!

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #26 on: August 20, 2017, 11:36:57 PM
Tough question. 

My alox one layer choice is El Settler or Solo

My Cellidor choice is El Waiter or Ambassador

I have a couple Populars but I'm really just not in to them other than for collecting purposes...

If I had to just pick one out of those...   El Settler.  If there was a 93mm Bantam, I'd go with that.

:cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #27 on: August 21, 2017, 12:18:42 PM
Bantam and Premier.  I love the sleekness of the Alox but it's so thin I'm always afraid I'll lose it. The Premier sees most of the use between these two.

More than once I've nearly lost my alox bantam as a result of it just slipping out of a pocket unnoticed.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: August 21, 2017, 12:42:32 PM

More than once I've nearly lost my alox bantam as a result of it just slipping out of a pocket unnoticed.
I'm hoping to be able to put a bail on the 93mm Alox mod I'm planning.  :D
Mags said that you can drill a dimple in the rivet for the bail to sit in.
The rivet is 3mm, and I'm imagining drilling a deepish 2mm hole in each side for the bail.  :think:

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: August 21, 2017, 12:50:02 PM

I'm hoping to be able to put a bail on the 93mm Alox mod I'm planning.  :D
Mags said that you can drill a dimple in the rivet for the bail to sit in.
The rivet is 3mm, and I'm imagining drilling a deepish 2mm hole in each side for the bail.  :think:
So now you're going to drill into your SAKs?!

Carefull Pabs, you made it to the watch list already.
And the confiscation order is awaiting approval at the round table of the SAKnights...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%