Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

One Layer SAKs, Alox vs. Celidor

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: One Layer SAKs, Alox vs. Celidor
Reply #30 on: August 21, 2017, 12:52:11 PM
Bantam and Premier.  I love the sleekness of the Alox but it's so thin I'm always afraid I'll lose it. The Premier sees most of the use between these two.

More than once I've nearly lost my alox bantam as a result of it just slipping out of a pocket unnoticed.
I'm hoping to be able to put a bail on the 93mm Alox mod I'm planning.  :D
Mags said that you can drill a dimple in the rivet for the bail to sit in.
The rivet is 3mm, and I'm imagining drilling a deepish 2mm hole in each side for the bail.  :think:
So now you're going to drill into your SAKs?!

Carefull Pabs, you made it to the watch list already.
And the confiscation order is awaiting approval at the round table of the SAKnights...
I'm planning to drill into a SAK that mags will send to me-in parts.  :angel:
Just doing what he already did with his SI farmer.  :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #31 on: August 21, 2017, 02:36:39 PM
So basically what I'm asking you all, one layer Alox, or one layer Celidor?  :think: :cheers:

Neither. :D

Not only is the tool selection a bit limited but one layer knives are a bit too thin for me  2 layers or more, every time.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: August 22, 2017, 03:15:48 AM
Alox Bantam vs Celidor Bantam, Alox Excelsior vs Celidor Excelsior, they are the same except for the Alox/Celidor difference and are directly comparable.
Celidor Waiter vs Alox Bantam is more of a stretch, but can be compared as well.

So basically what I'm asking you all, one layer Alox, or one layer Celidor?  :think: :cheers:

I've already weighed in on a preference for a 1-layer cellidor vs 1-layer alox due to hand comfort and the availability of scale tools.  :tu:

But as I read through people's preferences and explanations, it has got me thinking about why I even have my two alox Bantams, because I don't use them for anything...they're currently box-queens.  I like the fact that they are capable tools weighing in at only 1oz (28grms for our worldwide clan).  However, the cellidor Waiter I used to keep stashed in my weekend daypack weighed only 1.25oz (35+grms) and could open a bottle of wine. But over the last year, that has been replace by a very nice Sportsman given to me, which only weighs 1.83oz (52grms) with a even more capability.

So what does one do with the 1oz alox Bantams? If I were to make a kydex sheath for a neck knife, I'd prefer the Pioneer Solo or do a mod and make a 93mm Bantam. I guess the alox Bantam is kind of like the baseball player you want on your team who plays a very clean, capable, and credible game, but everybody else is better at hitting, fielding, and throwing, so he just sits on the bench (this analogy can be made work for hockey, soccer, football, cricket, and even sailing) so don't get your panties twisted on this.   :shrug:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #33 on: August 23, 2017, 02:25:06 PM
The rivet is 3mm, and I'm imagining drilling a deepish 2mm hole in each side for the bail.  :think:

If you can drill the rivet before assembling the knife, it will be easier.  If you have a drill press you can put the rivet stock in the chuck, and mount the drill bit point-upwards in a drill vice.  Spinning the stock instead of the bit helps to keep the hole centred in the stock.  This is the best way of drilling a length-wise hole in a thin rod - unless you have a lathe, which would be an even better way of doing the same thing.

You could drill a hole of about 1.8mm and make the bail from 1.6mm (1/32") stainless TIG welding wire.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #34 on: August 23, 2017, 02:49:36 PM

If you can drill the rivet before assembling the knife, it will be easier.  If you have a drill press you can put the rivet stock in the chuck, and mount the drill bit point-upwards in a drill vice.  Spinning the stock instead of the bit helps to keep the hole centred in the stock.  This is the best way of drilling a length-wise hole in a thin rod - unless you have a lathe, which would be an even better way of doing the same thing.

You could drill a hole of about 1.8mm and make the bail from 1.6mm (1/32") stainless TIG welding wire.
That sounds like a great technique, but unfortunately I don't have a drill press.  :facepalm:

I do have one of these flexible shafts for the Dremel:

I find that it's easier to drill precise if the drill you are using (the flexible Dremel shaft in this case) is light.
And I'll put the rivet in a vise.  :tu:
It should work, with some practice, as each hole need only be 2mm or so deep.  :think:

I should probably use a punch or a burr bit to make a guide dimple/hole for the drill bit. :think:

Thanks for the welding wire tip.  :cheers:
I was wondering what I could make the bail out of, since the stock bail is made for a 2 layer alox and mine will be 1 layer.

Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #35 on: August 23, 2017, 06:25:52 PM
Cellidor for me.  The cadet, for example, is beautiful.  But it is so thin I find it very uncomfortable to handle.  It is hard for me to get a good grip.  There is such a thing as *too* thin.  Also, T&T (and pin)!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #36 on: August 23, 2017, 06:39:07 PM

Neither. :D

Not only is the tool selection a bit limited but one layer knives are a bit too thin for me  2 layers or more, every time.

:tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #37 on: August 24, 2017, 04:17:06 PM
After giving this topic more thought, I ought to clarify that while I don't carry one layer knives (see earlier statement - no scissors = no carry), I do own and use them.

I believe I currently own three versions:

Pioneer Settler: Bought and kept as a potential donor for the pruner blade.

MFV: One of these is kept in the kitchen drawer, and has been used for can opening and tightening the screws on pan handles and lids many times. (others held in storage for younglings who aren't ready to receive them yet)

EKA/Wenger Collaboration (90?): Lives in the cabinet in the front room where I keep the booze if I have any.
IMG_20170824_150301_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20170824_150301_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 44.46 KB)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: August 24, 2017, 07:15:23 PM
After giving this topic more thought, I ought to clarify that while I don't carry one layer knives (see earlier statement - no scissors = no carry), I do own and use them.

EKA/Wenger Collaboration (90?): Lives in the cabinet in the front room where I keep the booze if I have any.

Very nice collaboration!   :like:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #39 on: September 09, 2017, 07:42:42 PM
Solo and Waiter out in the garden, with the guys. We're enjoying a drink, a smoke, and some snacks. The guys marvel at the snap and the sharpness of the blades.
DSC07941-garden-party.jpg
* DSC07941-garden-party.jpg (Filesize: 155.55 KB)

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #40 on: September 09, 2017, 09:08:45 PM
I like them

Entree
Settler
Pocket Pal
WCO
Waiter
Popular
Ambassador
one.jpg
* one.jpg (Filesize: 257.23 KB)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 09:10:33 PM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: September 09, 2017, 11:52:39 PM
Solo and Waiter out in the garden, with the guys. We're enjoying a drink, a smoke, and some snacks. The guys marvel at the snap and the sharpness of the blades.

Very nice way to show off your SAKs and enjoy a Saturday!   :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%