Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hundred bucks to make me....

WDY · 11 · 1452

mx Offline WDY

• kickin in the Baja
Hundred bucks to make me....
on: August 19, 2017, 10:39:53 PM
Guys
I've decided to see if I could job out a tool making project that one of ya'll has probably already done..  I've seen a lot of knowledgeable guys comment on this kind of thing so here's the deal:
I need a small vise mounted tool to shave down brass rod to be used as pins in SAK's.   Will use hand held battery drill to chuck up 1/8" brazing rod, 6" long, and then run it through this magic tool.  Would like the finish size finely variable between say  2.0 - 3.0mm (could be wider range but AT LEAST that for the 2.2 & 2.5 PINS) Besides brass I would also like to use this to cut nickle silver (German silver) and copper (assume they're all basically the same hardness??)

I've busted my butt trying to make this fly but only come close with the good tools that I have.  (Basically, I'm a woodbutcher, not a machinist.)

And, it's worth a hundred bucks to me.  I will not steal your design and I don't wanna make a lot of $ off this tool. Doesn't have to be pretty.  If you can make something like this lemme know and we'll work out details via email.  I can pay you with PayPal or a cashier's check or ?? I've got some pretty cool horn and wood blanks I'd consider as trade items if so inclined.
Lemme know
David Yager   david@alderwood.com

-Yager

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Hundred bucks to make me....
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 10:41:43 PM
What about a sheat metal cutter?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 10:52:04 PM
Two L shaped pieces of timber to sit over the vice jaws, face them in emery, grip pins lightly between them, grip with drill chuck and fire it up. That'll whip the pins to size. Bring the jaws in as necessary as the pin diameter reduces, and reface with emery as required. You really want to give me 100 notes for that? Fine, if you insist  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 11:59:02 PM
My 5 cents (which are free): If you're only going to use 1/8" round raw material, and just want to cut it down to another round size, then a single tool and very manual version of the Swiss lathe principle might work for you?

Make a hole in for instance some square stock which is easy to hold in the vise. (Or get a hardened finished bushing with a slight 1/8" oversize). Then make some arrangement to fasten a lathe indexable cutting bit at the required distance to get the size you want. You can make that adjustable, possibly by getting an indexable tool holder and making that slide in a groove or slot. (Weld it to a micrometer for precision control).

To use this contraption put in the vice jaws, put your raw stock in the drill, and drive it through the center hole from the back with a rotation a speed that seems to cut the material ok. If the downsizing is substantial you might need to cut and adjust and cut again. (Then it starts getting more complicated - you might need exchangeable bushings instead of a hole, or more than one of these, or just get a lathe already :)

It will likely get quite hot, and you will get some long leftovers, but the concept is easy enough and well proven. (You can add a feed stop so you know when you have the right length, and a cut off tool that comes in from a different angle to cut at exact repeatable lengths).

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 12:11:31 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 02:58:24 AM
When I need to thin a pin for some reason, I duct tape my old Craftsman drill to a table, chuck the pin into the drill, lock the drill into the on position (the drill's 40 years old, and predates OSHA by a few years), and use sandpaper to get the pin down to what size I need.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 03:10:32 PM
Just to make sure; the indexable do need to be at the right cutting angle and position. (Depending on the bit and the material).

And if only a few are needed then sandpaper and frequent measuring might be just as well - as said earlier by others.

Indexable more like it.jpg
* Indexable more like it.jpg (Filesize: 13.4 KB)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 05:50:14 PM
On a possibly naive sidenote; any reason you need to make these from 1/8" stock? If you're willing to spend a 100 bucks why not just buy some precision mini rods in the dimension you want?

They are available for every 0.1mm diameter and in a variety of materials, and sometimes with the standard tolerances for fitting too. 
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 11:08:48 AM
:imws:

If you need help sourcing the raw materials, rather than trying to make your own, post here - I'm sure someone will be able to sort you out.  If you need stuff forwarding from a UK source I'd be happy to help.

mx Offline WDY

• kickin in the Baja
Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 07:01:08 AM
Wow, thanks guys. I will tinker around with these suggestions. As it happens I DID find a U.K. source for 2.5 & 2.2mm pin stock in brass but no 2.2 in nickel silver. My offer still stands, however. Am having lots of fun w. exposed, peened rivets on horn scales. Photo attached. Thanks again.
-Yager

mx Offline WDY

• kickin in the Baja
Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 06:30:33 PM
Woops, forgot the photo.  This is a small Tinker model with a hidden rivet (right of center inside the scales).  I kinda don't like the look of 4 unbalanced rivets showing.  The rivets are "domed", more or less rounded over, not flush. Would like to know more about doing flush rivets; seems like it would be easier. The  scales are cow horn, black/white/grey.  No room for T&T on this one but I'm hoping to include at least one slot in the future in these pinned jobbies. I'm working on this concept of "tribute knives" where they're not really old but look like the older guys. Obviously used but in really good shape. This little guy is my EDC.
Give me some feedback here on appropriate PRICING.  I'm thinkin around 90/ hundred bucks for something like this little dude - more for something in 91mm and three layers. Like, I've got a nice Mechanic (with pliers) for $135-150.  It's a bit hard to set the price 'cause they're not really originals but....Just try to find any SAK in horn and get ready for sticker shock. Hence, my somewhat higher (hopeful) pricing.
Lemme know
-Yager
SAK-9-Smaller.jpg
* SAK-9-Smaller.jpg (Filesize: 142.11 KB)
-Yager

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 02:25:39 AM
I wouldn't know how to price it but that's a nice looking knife.   :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00