Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mystery tool?

Offline Lava girl

Mystery tool?
on: August 21, 2017, 01:22:48 AM
I recently inherited a Swiss Army Knife from my Uncle and was trying to identify all the tools on it, when I came across one I couldn't identify. There is a photo of it attactched, it's the one with the hole at the top of a pointed end. It'd be much appreciated if anyone could tell me what it is. Also if anyone knows what kind of SAK it is I'd love to know, these are the tools it has:

Large Blade
Wood saw
Fish scaler
Scissors
Can opener
Bottle opener
Key ring
Toothpick
Tweezers
Phillips screwdriver
Awl
Nail file
Mystery tool??
Corkscrew

Many thanks!!
IMG_0588.JPG
* IMG_0588.JPG (Filesize: 70.22 KB)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Mystery tool?
Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 01:31:17 AM
Hello, welcome to MTo!
 :cheers:

As for the knife, I'm sorry to say it looks like a fake SAK. The tool is supposed to be a sewing needle, like real SAKs have together with the awl. I sugest you go to a store and take a look at some original SAKs to see the differences. Your's has got a circular logo with a four pointed star, right?
 :salute:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 01:34:35 AM by pfrsantos »

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline Lava girl

Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 01:39:09 AM
Ahh okay that makes sense, I was thinking it might be for sewing but I wasn't  sure. And it doesn't have a logo no, I suppose I kinda knew it wasn't a proper SAK but i'm knew to this kind of thing and that's just what my dad called it so I did too, But my Uncle used it for long enough so it'll do me nicely even if it isn't a real one! Thank you very much for your help, it's much appreciated 😊
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 01:40:29 AM by Lava girl »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 01:48:30 AM
Most people call knives with several tools Swiss Army Knives, SAKs, even when they're not original. If it works for you and your needs, that's fine. The original ones have better quality, finish, durability. Try looking at some Victorinox and you'll see the difference.
Like I said, the knife you got may be enough for your needs. Still, if you can find an original and afford it, I think you won't regret getting an upgrade.
 :) :)

Check SAKWiki, there's a link on the top of this page. You can see all the different sizes, models and variations of the Victorinox and Wenger SAKs.
 :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline Lava girl

Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 01:55:35 AM
Okie doke, I'll check that out and see what I can find then, thank you! 😊

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 03:09:18 AM
Looks as though you have already had your question answered :cheers: So I will just welcome you to :MTO: :cheers:

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 10:15:37 AM
Welcome Lava Girl  :tu:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 10:23:39 AM
Welcome to the forums.
I'm hoping you'll stay around :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 03:19:46 PM
Welcome to the forum Lava girl    :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 03:45:21 PM
Greetings Lava Girl.  Welcome to the forum and glad you got your mystery tool identified.  If the tool served your uncle I'm sure it'll do what you need.  Its interesting to see both the corkscrew and Phillips driver on the tool.  Solves having to decide which model to get since on Victorinox you get one or the other unless the phillips is inline. 
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Lava girl

Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 04:02:40 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! 😊 And Aloha007 that's really interesting! Having both is definitely very handy, maybe that's why my uncle got this particular one in the first place.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 04:08:11 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! 😊 And Aloha007 that's really interesting! Having both is definitely very handy, maybe that's why my uncle got this particular one in the first place.

The backside corkscrew or Phillips is where many people have a hard time deciding and which knife to get.  Some models have the phillips where the other tools are ( inline ) and corkscrew on back.  Either way glad you now have the tool.  I sure hope you find as many uses as your uncle.  Stick around a browse the topics in the Swiss Army Knights threads.  There are some interesting bits of info that might come in handy as you now have a tool.

May I ask if you plan on carrying it?  If so how?  Pocket, bag, purse, belt sheath?     
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Lava girl

Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 04:18:19 PM
Ahh okay that makes sense. And yeah definitely, it'll be very useful 😊 Thank you for the information, I'll definitely take a look.

I'm not particularly planning on carrying it as such, I'm moving away from home to start my first year of university next month so my dad (my uncle was his brother) gave it to me to take with me to just have as a handy tool in my uni accomodation. But if I do carry it it'll probably be either in a pocket or in a pocket of a backpack or something.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 04:35:07 PM
Good luck at the college  :tu:.  I'm sure the tool will come in handy.  Who knows maybe you'll be back asking about a plier base multitool  :D
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Lava girl

Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 04:39:39 PM
Thank you!! 😃 I hope so! And lol who knows indeed, it could happen 😂

hr Offline styx

Reply #15 on: August 21, 2017, 05:02:45 PM
Welcome. Stick around any you'll end up having (and needing) a lot of different multitools
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

Offline Lava girl

Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 05:09:29 PM
Welcome. Stick around any you'll end up having (and needing) a lot of different multitools

I can definitely see that happening very quickly 😂

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 05:13:11 PM

You can? Good!

Show content

:D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline Lava girl

Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 05:27:53 PM

You can? Good!

Show content

Lol yep!

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 05:35:26 PM
Even if fake it's more precious than some SAK knives out there that sit in someone's display case. Judging from the awesome condition it had history with your Uncle and will serve you well in school. Mine did. Study hard. 

Offline Lava girl

Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 05:38:42 PM
Even if fake it's more precious than some SAK knives out there that sit in someone's display case. Judging from the awesome condition it had history with your Uncle and will serve you well in school. Mine did. Study hard.

This is very true! Definitely, he was an avid fisherman so I think he would've used it a lot and I think I probably will too. Will do!!

hr Offline styx

Reply #21 on: August 21, 2017, 10:17:21 PM

You can? Good!

Show content

Lol yep!

Not done yet. First SAKs, then plier based MTs, then Moras and after that the world  >:D  :whistle:

Oh and somewhere in between come other obsessions like lighters, watches, flashlights, match cases, alcohol and wood stoves, kukhris (one day I might learn how to spell that), at least 2 brands of folding knives and 3 of fixed blade knives, backpacks and other item carrying methods, pens, fountain pens, everything orange/purple/random color of your choosing, sporks, booze, Muscle smurf's crazy ramblings, Gareth's cooking, Def's Jeep and canoeing and compasses. I might have missed a few dozen  :facepalm:

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

Offline Lava girl

Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 10:26:09 PM

You can? Good!

Show content

Lol yep!

Not done yet. First SAKs, then plier based MTs, then Moras and after that the world  >:D  :whistle:

Oh and somewhere in between come other obsessions like lighters, watches, flashlights, match cases, alcohol and wood stoves, kukhris (one day I might learn how to spell that), at least 2 brands of folding knives and 3 of fixed blade knives, backpacks and other item carrying methods, pens, fountain pens, everything orange/purple/random color of your choosing, sporks, booze, Muscle smurf's crazy ramblings, Gareth's cooking, Def's Jeep and canoeing and compasses. I might have missed a few dozen  :facepalm:

Lol if there's that many things I'd best get started now!! 😂

hr Offline styx

Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 11:09:24 PM
nah, just take it easy. no need to get overwhelmed. the craziness of this place is ever present. it surrounds us and penetrates us; it binds the galaxy together.

Offline Lava girl

Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 11:46:21 PM
I see, I'd better not get *too* sucked in then 😂

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 12:21:14 AM
Lava girl, welcome to the forum. Good luck in School. I hope you will find that little multi-tool knife very handy and that it will be the beginning of a lifetime of collecting for you. :climber:

Offline Lava girl

Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 12:38:44 AM
Thank you very much!! I hope so too! 😊

hr Offline styx

Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 08:49:59 AM
I see, I'd better not get *too* sucked in then 😂

easier to let it flow through you

Now to actually be helpful for this month - since you're just getting into the addiction, you might want to look at Leatherman Wingman, Sidekick and Rebar as more inexpensive plier based multitool options. I'm sure SOG and Gerber have their very solid representatives but I'm not that familiar with those to name them before the first coffee. Personally I really enjoy having the Rebar on me (a modded knifeless variant, LM makes a similar version now) even more so since I don't have to worry about legality and it does most of the things I need it to

As for something small, Victorinox 58mm line is addictive

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #28 on: August 24, 2017, 06:07:35 PM
"I must not follow MTO.
 MTO is the wallet-killer.
 MTO is the death of my bank account that brings total bankcruptcy.
 I will face the MTO.
 I will permit it to pass over me and through me (twice, as that's the MTO way).
 And when  has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
 Where MTO has gone there will be no money left. Only I will remain, poor."

- The litany against MTO, an excerpt from the Book of Def.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:08:46 PM by Aleph78 »
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #29 on: August 24, 2017, 06:10:17 PM
 ;)
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,