Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad by logging in.

Coleman Collection? 499

Head Turd Polisher Administrator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 58,956 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Coleman Collection?
« on: August 21, 2017, 02:24:33 PM »
They say when you have three of something, you have a collection.  By that logic, I have a Coleman Collection, although to be honest, I am not sure I would agree with that logic- more realistically I see it as having inherited my father's desire to buy the best that one can when one needs something- and that often means Coleman when it comes to outdoors gear.

My list of Coleman products is longer than I thought it was- a Coleman tent, Coleman chairs, a Coleman sleeping bag, Coleman air mattress, Coleman lantern, Coleman stoves, Coleman campfire skewers.... the list goes on, and I even added to it this weekend with what I consider to be a phenomenal deal.  First up is this Coleman Easi-Lite 431 two burner stove.

It's in rough shape, but it still holds fuel.  It's hard to tell from the photo, but it says:

Coleman
Model 431
Input 14000 BTUH
Generator
412A-262

I have done a small amount of research into it so far, but it appears that it was manufactured by Coleman Canada for distribution in Canada only, and does not have a US equivalent.  This could make it a collectible stove, which brings me to my conundrum- do I fix it, repaint it and use it or do I offer it as-is to a collector that may want it original and rusty rather than repainted?

The red tabs that hold the fuel tank to the body of the stove are rumored to have a date stamp on them, but this one isn't very legible- not that you can tell that there's anything there in the photos, but in person you can see an 18 and that there are other numbers, but they really can't be made out.

You can see that the stove has had better days, and while I don't really need another camp stove (since when does need play a factor? :P) I feel like it is a bit disrespectful to just leave this stove to continue deteriorating. 

As an added bonus it also came with the tank about half full of fuel, although there's no indication of how long it's been in there, so I will probably dispose of it rather than use it.

Yup- I also got this little beauty:

This little doodad is a Coleman 518B 3,000 BTU catalytic heater, and while it may be a bit dirty, it is complete and intact.

The way it works is that you fill it up with the same Coleman Stove Fuel that you already probably have for your stoves, lanterns etc, flip it upside down until you see a wet spot form, then flip it right side up again and light the wet spot.  When the flame dies down, close the lid and it will burn for an estimated 16 hours, unless of course you stop it by putting the snuff cover over it.

After telling my parents last night about my new toys, my father informed me that he had the exact same one in the late 60's, so that made this an even cooler purchase.

The next piece is a little less exciting, but certainly no less useful:

I thought this little pump was a great deal at only $5, until I got to the next table at the flea market and picked up the 431 and 518 for a whopping $10... total.... and the seller threw in this small propane burner too!

There are no markings on the burner or the base, but it does have a small Made in China sticker on it.  Even so it feels like a decent quality bit of kit and the enamel on it seems quite robust- it doesn't seem like the cheapo stuff we often associate with being made in China, especially not something this old.

The fitting also feels solid, so in the end I am really liking this piece as well- of course, that may change once I've had a chance to use it, but so far I am thinking it could be quite handy.

For a grand total of $15 CDN (maybe $10 US-ish) I think I did pretty good.  If there's much interest in these, I can go through some of my other Coleman items- there's a lot more than I expected there were!

Def
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 02:27:25 PM by Grant Lamontagne »

NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!

NEW PRODUCTS ADDED DAILY!
No Life Club Posts: 1,004

JP ca

Re: Coleman Collection?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 02:26:41 PM »
Nice collection. Great Dollar to Performance ratio.

Hard to beat a Coleman two burner. We have a LPG two burner.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 02:27:44 PM by JP »
Head Turd Polisher Administrator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 58,956 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 02:30:02 PM »
Nice collection. Great Dollar to Performance ratio.

Hard to beat a Coleman two burner. We have a LPG two burner.

I have a nice propane two burner stove that I use for all my camp chores.  I love it.

Def

Global Moderator Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,581
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 03:15:35 PM »
Used to have those Coleman Water Jugs... :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sr. Member Posts: 402
Coleman Collection?
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 04:20:16 PM »
Awesome Grant.  I have about 5 Coleman lanterns 2 are all gas and 3 are their white gas only.  I also owned 2 of the all gas stoves like you posted, a common problem with those is that the tank leaks.  I sold the all gas ones on eBay and ended up purchasing the gas canister stove instead.  I think that their propane gas stove is their best invention unless they stop selling them.  I love my lanterns but will be posting them for sale, with the invention of led lanterns im thinking of selling off my Coleman lanterns, I've had a great run with them over the years.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 04:28:28 PM by Zhenchok »

“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,280
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 04:32:11 PM »
I have about 7 Coleman stoves, tent, and  :think: some other stuff.  I love my Coleman stoves.  I've seen some great restorations on old stoves so I have no doubt yours can be brought back to its former glory.  I've seen some cool paint schemes on them too.  Team colors, flag themes, as well as random paint schemes. 

Congrats on the Coleman gear.

http://tgmarsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/colecastove.html  Theres a picture on the easi lite 431 on this page

Esse Quam Videri
No Life Club Posts: 3,515 Benner fan club #003
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 09:17:09 PM »
I think the single burner is an "American Camper" brand. The pump would be handy for inflatable company... ::)
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 09:43:50 PM »
Thanks for the info- I will do some research on American Camper as its not a brand I am familiar with.

Def

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 09:50:59 PM »
It could be an AFC Camp Master Model 1062?

I can't seem to find a lot of info on it beyond an eBay listing though.

Def

No Life Club Posts: 1,584
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 10:53:18 PM »
That heater looks a lot like the Tonka heaters, also made in Canada by Tonka's Canadian market plant.
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 12:59:21 AM »
It could be an AFC Camp Master Model 1062?

(Image removed from quote.)

I can't seem to find a lot of info on it beyond an eBay listing though.

Def

Yeah, I think that's the one...the tip off for me was the avocado green color. Middle quality line sold through chain stores in the 80's and 90's...much like Stansport, Coghlans etc.
No Life Club Posts: 4,298
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 01:28:04 AM »
Is Coleman gear as good as it used to be? I remembering hearing about their stoves many years ago (the word "Coleman" was often used instead of "stove") but nowadays their gear that I have seen in shops looks like lower quality better suited to family camping rather than hiking.

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 04:18:45 AM »
That heater looks a lot like the Tonka heaters, also made in Canada by Tonka's Canadian market plant.

Oddly enough, as I was walking away from the table with the stove and heater, the very next table we passed had the Tonka version.  I didn't buy it because I was on a Coleman high and couldn't be bothered with anything non-Coleman!

In retrospect I am kind of wish I had I'd at least asked the price....

Def

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 04:23:09 AM »
Is Coleman gear as good as it used to be? I remembering hearing about their stoves many years ago (the word "Coleman" was often used instead of "stove") but nowadays their gear that I have seen in shops looks like lower quality better suited to family camping rather than hiking.

I have very few Coleman branded misses.  The campfire skewers are a bit short and everything takes like burnt knuckle hair as a result.

The folding chairs, sleeping bag, various stoves and lanterns and other Coleman products I have are all top notch, although admittedly many of them are older ones- except for the sleeping bag (maybe three years old), chairs (maybe five years old) and the two burner propane stove (maybe 8 years old).  My propane lantern is probably closer to 20 years old, the small stove (505 I think) is probably at least 20, and one other piece I really want to show off is probably around 50....

But I'll post pics of that tomorrow!

Def

No Life Club Posts: 2,628
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 10:18:58 AM »
I would vote fix it up, or at least stop the rust from spreading.

Those lanterns bring back childhood memories, the little town where we had a holiday home didn't have power the first few years we had the house.....lanterns & candles  8)
No Life Club Posts: 2,488
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 01:32:37 AM »
Great finds.  I have two of the battery powered quick pumps in my camping box.  They work a treat on inflating my queen size air mattress.  Don't store the batteries in the pumps.
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 02:22:45 AM »
Great finds.  I have two of the battery powered quick pumps in my camping box.  They work a treat on inflating my queen size air mattress.  Don't store the batteries in the pumps.

Yeah, I have learned that one the hard way in the past.   :ahhh

Here's the piece I mentioned above:

In those days my grandfather used to visit a lot from Scotland, and in fact spent a year or two here teaching at a university, although to be honest I don't know which one.  At any rate, while assembling camping gear for the three of them, one of the things purchased was this Coleman griddle, which was designed to fit the stoves of the time.

It's pot metal, and nothing too fancy, but as you can see, is very clearly a classic Coleman piece, and probably somewhere around 50 years old.

I've been cleaning it up a bit here and there, but I remember eating pancakes prepared on this griddle in the earliest days of camping with my family that I can remember.  As my parents now live in the woods, they don't have a camper anymore and they gave it to me, saying that it was meant to be with an Apache.  I'm thrilled to have this piece for more reasons than it just being an old Coleman product!

Def
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 02:24:05 AM by Grant Lamontagne »

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 05:21:02 AM »
I believe those are cast aluminum griddles. Don't scrub too hard as it should be well seasoned and relatively non-stick by now.
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2017, 01:56:42 PM »
Yeah, I think I've scrubbed it as much as I am going to.

Def

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 04:16:29 AM »
Now go cook a pound of bacon on it  :pok: :D
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 09:34:29 PM »
Sounds like a damned good plan if ever I heard one!

Def

No Life Club Posts: 2,488
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 11:49:30 PM »
Wait, so, you're not going to make any bacon for Meghan? :whistle: :twak:
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2017, 01:25:48 AM »
She works for the Federal Government- they prefer to pay people for not raising hogs so she can't have any bacon.   >:D

Def

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,625
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2017, 11:36:25 PM »
Late to this thread, but I love old Coleman gear!!

Barry
Sr. Member Posts: 314
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 03:13:15 AM »
In our area (central/south B.C.) there are a lot of coleman stoves (the 2 burner white gas models) available at flea markets and thrift shops.  We had one years ago and it just kept on trucking.  The only time it "failed" was after a rainy night and I did not realize that the burners were full of water.  Once drained it worked well again.  I once had a small version of the white gas lantern but it never seemed to work properly.  It would hardly put out as much light as a big match - eventually got rid of it.

John.

Operational Funds

Keep the Unworkable working! Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $275.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $116.99
PayPal Fees: $7.47
Net Balance: $109.52
Below Goal: $165.48
Site Currency: USD
40% 
April Donations

Community Links