Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anybody got a Ford F150 with ecoboost engine?

Syph007 · 109 · 3727

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Anybody got a Ford F150 with ecoboost engine?
on: August 21, 2017, 09:13:46 PM
The damn sales are on this month and my 10 yr old car is annoying me.. soooo.. those shiny new F150s are calling.   :D

I'm reading about the V8 vs ecoboost in the current lineup and the information is so confusing.

Some say the ecoboost is great but will not last as long as a classic V8 ( I do plan on keeping a truck for 10+ years) so should I stick with a V8 that as far as I can tell the only con is it will use a bit more gas?

My mechanic actually drives one with ecoboost and I asked him.  He says as long as you are diligent with maintenance the ecos are fine.  He told me he worked on some that did have problems that were caused by waiting too long to do oil changes. 

Anyway, I figured someone here must be a ford truck guy and have an opinion to share.  :D

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Anybody got a Ford F150 with ecoboost engine?
Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 09:34:18 PM
Some common sense, since ecoboost engines are under greater pressure in the cylinders, they would probably wear faster.  :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 09:40:18 PM
Not a Ford fan, the ecoboosts are cool but there is no replacement, for displacement.

As with ANY new engine there are problems that need to be worked out over first few years. Routing, emission systems, specific powers and tuning all need to be addressed.

I would strongly recommend waiting a few more years. Any engine is fine if you're diligent with maintenance? Especially coming from someone that makes money for working on one.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 09:59:18 PM
The eco-boosts have been out in Europe for quite a few years now (8 years) and have proved to be very reliable, I had an eco-boost 1.5l ford focus for a while last year and it performed better than the 2l injected model I had a few years ago. 179BHP from that engine and an average fuel consumption of 50mpg
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 09:59:36 PM
Ya my gut says stick with a V8.  I'm not a super vehicle brand loyal person at all.  Ive just been in the market for a truck for awhile now and I like the F150s.

Its funny how ones loyalties can be influenced though by either ones own experiences or friends and family.  For trucks my Dad has always been a dodge ram guy, while my uncles all drove Fords.  My Dad always seemed to have more repairs than my uncles, but thats a very narrow pool of data.  :think:

Ive never owned a truck, but from my own experiences I have the least desire to buy anything GM just from my past experience.  Ive owned a Ford van that was fine though and never owned anything dodge.  What I like about the 150s is the enthusiast sites were info on repairs/mods/tinkering is well supported.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 11:26:04 PM
Looks like the 3.5 ecoboost is now 450 HP, so go ecoboost.  :D

Generally turbo motor has high requirement for oil, has to be synthetic and too much degradation can cause the turbo shaft to wear. But follow the maintenance schedule and it shouldn't be a problem. 10 years should be easy in either, but if you goal is 300,000+ KM them the V8 probably has a better chance of making it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 11:27:35 PM by jzmtl »

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 08:59:15 AM
there is no replacement, for displacement.

Always amazes me, if I had any of these vehicles mentioned I couldn't afford to fill it up and actually go anywhere!  :rofl:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 02:13:49 PM

Always amazes me, if I had any of these vehicles mentioned I couldn't afford to fill it up and actually go anywhere!  :rofl:

Very true.  The only reason I can get a truck now is that I have no commute.  I always bought small cars before because I had a drive to work.   Now I just want something to pull trailers and haul junk.

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 03:25:43 PM
My little Suzuki was a dream toy for many years, now it's a very imperfect daily driver, but I'm very fortunate it can work for me.

To be honest, being on the larger side, I would love to drive one of those big America trucks, would be about the only time in my life I look normal in a car!  :rofl:

Despite the very real consequences I also don't care that North America found a way to keep their fuel affordable  >:D  >:D

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 03:47:28 PM
My little Suzuki was a dream toy for many years, now it's a very imperfect daily driver, but I'm very fortunate it can work for me.

To be honest, being on the larger side, I would love to drive one of those big America trucks, would be about the only time in my life I look normal in a car!  :rofl:

Despite the very real consequences I also don't care that North America found a way to keep their fuel affordable  >:D  >:D

Ya I'm 290lbs and 6'4" and currently drive a Honda Civic.  So I know all about fitting into vehicles!

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 04:09:45 PM

Ya I'm 290lbs and 6'4" and currently drive a Honda Civic.  So I know all about fitting into vehicles!

Same weight 6'5" so.......yes  :rofl:

My first car was a 1983 Honda Ballade, I wasn't comfortable in that, or anything since.......but they all beat a bicycle  :rofl:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 04:24:43 PM
Y'all are some big boys.  Watching a big guy get out of a compact is always interesting.  My brother is about the same size as you gents and he drove a older accord.  Even that car was a bit cramped.  Whichever F150 you decide on will be a big comfort to your large frame.  I drove a Avalance and it was wonderfully spacious. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 07:36:22 PM
I went over and looked at these and the v8 for sure.  It can pull 11000 lbs.  The guys there said he wouldn't recommend an Ecoboost if I planned to keep it past the warranty period.  Got a price on a white one on the lot.  Now I gotta decide if I want to part with the money.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 10:04:20 PM
I went over and looked at these and the v8 for sure.  It can pull 11000 lbs.  The guys there said he wouldn't recommend an Ecoboost if I planned to keep it past the warranty period.  Got a price on a white one on the lot.  Now I gotta decide if I want to part with the money.

Thats some brute strength.  Don't you have a trailer?  The F150 will pull that and a loaded bed plus you and the family no issues.  I wasn't a fan of white vehicles but I've since changed my mind.  Did you at least drive it and get your foot into it?  I was sold on my Avalanche as soon as I drove it.  Came home ate dinner and called my sales person later that night.  Went in the next morning and did the deal.  I'm in a Tundra now and would like a Diesel at some point, maybe.   
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 10:25:37 PM
My dad, as a mechanic, says to stay away from Ecoboosts.

Smaller/fewer cilinders and equal/more HP?
Only possible when the engine wears faster.
Unless you're a relaxed driver.

Look at the F1 races:
1000cc engines that reach +200 kmph speeds, but they get scrapped after 1-2 races.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 11:00:54 PM

Thats some brute strength.  Don't you have a trailer?  The F150 will pull that and a loaded bed plus you and the family no issues.  I wasn't a fan of white vehicles but I've since changed my mind.  Did you at least drive it and get your foot into it?  I was sold on my Avalanche as soon as I drove it.  Came home ate dinner and called my sales person later that night.  Went in the next morning and did the deal.  I'm in a Tundra now and would like a Diesel at some point, maybe.   

Didnt have time today to drive, going back tomorrow with the wife so she can try it too.  I wanted a price first to see if the deal is real and and how much off msrp I could actually get.  It was 11k off sticker with employee pricing A plan. 

Im cleaning out my old car for them to appraise for trade in tomorrow so in my mind im doing the deal, but trying not to get ahead of myself.   

I normally buy dark blue or red vehicles but all they've got is black and white left so if I want the deal I can only pick from what theyve got, or order a brand new one to my exact specs at full price.  The white one they have has the sport package (though im not sure what that even means except a console shifter vs steering column) buts its set up to tow.  Our trailer is only 2000 lbs, but the one my wife has her eye on for later on is 8000, so I want to be able to tow anything i might come acress in the next 10 yrs.

I did more reading on the engine and found lots of examples of major engine issues with the ecos in only a couple years service, so im fine without turbo.  I dont associate racing with a pickup truck anyhow and I just want a truck that works and is reliable. 

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 08:06:04 PM
I had a drive and play around with it today.  Im pretty sure this is my next ride.  :D

V8 and on sale.  Id rather have red but that isnt worth ordering a one for and paying full price.  The only thing it was missing was a tow controller which they are adding.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 08:15:19 PM
16 mpg. :rofl: :rofl:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 08:41:31 PM

Yup about exactly half what my civic got.  Dont care though, I avg 10k km a year since I dont commute.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 11:37:50 PM

Yup about exactly half what my civic got.  Dont care though, I avg 10k km a year since I dont commute.
16 mpg is unimaginable to me.  :facepalm: :ahhh  :ahhh

Tesla Model 3. :drool:
It can't tow, and it's not off-road, and it's expensive, basically similar to a performance BMW 3 Series, but it gets (in electricity equivalent) 126 MPG.  :drool:
But I'm going OT.  :facepalm:

All hail the hook!

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 11:47:55 PM

That makes my Land Rover look good!
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: August 24, 2017, 12:01:44 AM
Looks great! 

Yay Prius, yay Volt, yay electric car with great gas milage.  Those vehicle all have their place.  Got to keep in mind this man is 6'4 290lbs  :pok:.  Trucks wont be going away anytime soon due to poor gas mileage.     
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #22 on: August 24, 2017, 12:02:09 AM
I did hat math and it's a onout $1800 CAD a year for fuel.  I used to care when I drove 100 km a day but now it's more like 5 to 10 and sometimes zero.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #23 on: August 24, 2017, 12:03:52 AM
Looks great! 

Yay Prius, yay Volt, yay electric car with great gas milage.  Those vehicle all have their place.  Got to keep in mind this man is 6'4 290lbs  :pok:.  Trucks wont be going away anytime soon due to poor gas mileage.     

Ya my wife will be evening things out with a small commute car for her next one since she still has a 50km drive to work.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: August 24, 2017, 12:35:43 AM
Looks great! 

Just pointing out regarding the model 3: "One of the drivers said he was 6'7" and it still left plenty of leg room for the guy behind him."

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: August 24, 2017, 12:53:25 AM
Looks great! 

Just pointing out regarding the model 3: "One of the drivers said he was 6'7" and it still left plenty of leg room for the guy behind him."

Yikes.  That's a tall man.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #26 on: August 26, 2017, 03:29:12 AM

Compare the numbers between a Ford V10 and a 3.5 Eco...

Oh,  the Eco has oil cooled turbos. I own a 2012 3.5 with all the goodies, and live at 7,000 feet elevation on Colorado.  Even with 1000 pounds of family and luggage,  it purrs right over the I-70 mountain pass at 11,000 feet at 70mpg.  It does the Raton Pass in cruise control and stays in 6th gear (6 speed tranny) at 60 mph. The torque curve is very much like a diesel and makes 90% of its torque below 2000 rpms, which means it idles along effortlessly, rarely gearing down.
Mine has 365hp, 420 lbs torque. On the highway,  I get between 18 and 21 mpg. In town,  15 to 18. This thing is a holeshot king, even at 6,100 lbs. At highway speed,  less so,  but I have 3.73 gears.

It's not perfect,  but dang,  it's comfy and quiet. The 2014 Dodge I tested was nothing like it for power, but had a very smooth ride and tranny. I can't speak to reliability.  Went I bought it,  it had 42k and an existing tranny shifting issue which was covered by warranty. This week, it lost power and threw a code describing an electric relay issue.  It was only one and stopped. Here,  at altitude,  I hear the v8 trucks pegging rpms all the time while I'm purring along. I'm at 70k now. It's funny to see a Dodge or Chevy floor it,  make all kinds of beautiful v8 noise, but not speed up.  It's an elevation thing,  I'm sure. I had a 2001 Dodge with 5.9 that I loved.  It sounded amazing,  but my 5.4l Expedition pulled my Jeep rock crawler much better.

I do worry that I'll have uses wuth the 3.5, but dang,  it's a monster and does not feel underbuilt.

Nice white F150 5.0! I bet it also sounds great and really does have good power and better mpg than my boostie. Have a blast.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 04:11:17 AM by Mizedog »

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #27 on: August 26, 2017, 03:42:57 AM
Oh,  I'm 6'4', 300 pounds. Plenty of room for my 5'3' daughter in the seat behind me.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: August 26, 2017, 02:41:17 PM
Nice looking truck! I've read the ecoboost motor to have is the 2.7 liter V6. I'd love to drive a truck but nobody makes one that wouldn't put me in the poor house for fuel since I drive over 60 miles a day to work/back.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #29 on: August 26, 2017, 04:54:08 PM

Compare the numbers between a Ford V10 and a 3.5 Eco...

Oh,  the Eco has oil cooled turbos. I own a 2012 3.5 with all the goodies, and live at 7,000 feet elevation on Colorado.  Even with 1000 pounds of family and luggage,  it purrs right over the I-70 mountain pass at 11,000 feet at 70mpg.  It does the Raton Pass in cruise control and stays in 6th gear (6 speed tranny) at 60 mph. The torque curve is very much like a diesel and makes 90% of its torque below 2000 rpms, which means it idles along effortlessly, rarely gearing down.
Mine has 365hp, 420 lbs torque. On the highway,  I get between 18 and 21 mpg. In town,  15 to 18. This thing is a holeshot king, even at 6,100 lbs. At highway speed,  less so,  but I have 3.73 gears.

It's not perfect,  but dang,  it's comfy and quiet. The 2014 Dodge I tested was nothing like it for power, but had a very smooth ride and tranny. I can't speak to reliability.  Went I bought it,  it had 42k and an existing tranny shifting issue which was covered by warranty. This week, it lost power and threw a code describing an electric relay issue.  It was only one and stopped. Here,  at altitude,  I hear the v8 trucks pegging rpms all the time while I'm purring along. I'm at 70k now. It's funny to see a Dodge or Chevy floor it,  make all kinds of beautiful v8 noise, but not speed up.  It's an elevation thing,  I'm sure. I had a 2001 Dodge with 5.9 that I loved.  It sounded amazing,  but my 5.4l Expedition pulled my Jeep rock crawler much better.

I do worry that I'll have uses wuth the 3.5, but dang,  it's a monster and does not feel underbuilt.

Nice white F150 5.0! I bet it also sounds great and really does have good power and better mpg than my boostie. Have a blast.

Cool thanks for the info.  I knew someone here must have one!

I read so much about these engines over the last few days I was about driving myself mental lol.

In the end I think the v8 is the right call for me.  I pick it up on Monday!  I got $2000 for my beater civic so im happy.  Black book said it could be worth up to 3k but I'd have to replace the windshield for it to pass a safety and I didn't want to hassle.

There are a ton of accessories for these and I already ordered a bed rug as jbhave alot of hauling jobs to get done when I get it.  Tree removal and air compressor pickup first.

I never would have got this is I still hadu commute so I'm lucky to not have one now and get something fun.   I'm pricing out the winch mount plate next because I always wanted one of those too. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68